The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind?

+23
seth
petrafan007
Pethead
dwells
StevenCressler
Christian Thrash Rules
Opeth3232
average joe
Frozen Fire
crucifyd
Staybrite
Black Rider
Constantine
Soldier777
BaleMaster
Kerrick
Follower of Jesus
TZ75
eatbugs
CrimsonWarrior
WildWorld
alldatndensum
Temple of Blood
27 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind? Empty Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 pm

If you think about it, there are a few bands that simply quit talking about christainity at some point.

SOme of them did it on purpose, and some just did it because, you know, write lyrics on what's in their heart at moment.

I honestly don't think there is a problem with it at all, but, it might be kind of disappointing when you buy new music from a band expecting something and get another thing.

Some examples that come to my mind:

- Deliverance/Eraserhead: from the top of my mind, I can't remember any references to christianity in the last few albums, but mostly in their last album.

- Impellitteri: With Rob Rock, you can find plenty of christian lyrics, but if you go for their other albums, there are no references of christianity;

- Mad Max: They have released a few christian albums in its entirely such as Night of White Rock, in White and White Sands. After that, they simply quit the christian lyrics. 

Is there any other examples of bands you know in the same situation?

How do you feel about christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind?

Back to top Go down

Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind? Empty Re: Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:22 pm

I know that Impellitteri and Mad Max are not even christian bands after all, but still...

You can even find some controversial lyrics meantime...
So, it's kind of though.

Back to top Go down

Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind? Empty Re: Christian band that have left the christian lyrics behind?

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Believer
Seventh Angel
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Opeth3232 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:07 pm

After "Wake The Nations", Ken has continued to record.  However, all he does is collections of cover tunes he likes and many are not even rock.  None of the songs are Christian lyrics.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

alldatndensum likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:30 pm

alldatndensum wrote:After "Wake The Nations", Ken has continued to record.  However, all he does is collections of cover tunes he likes and many are not even rock.  None of the songs are Christian lyrics.
Arent those albums meant to be "how to sing like X" instructional cds (much like his youtube page)? Back on track, MXPX were listed as "Christian" into the 2000s and were listed on the Christian charts, but if you look, aside from the very first album (Pokinatcha), they've never really written any Christian lyrics (though most of their stuff is clean). Same with Blessed By A Broken Heart.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:37 pm

WildWorld wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:After "Wake The Nations", Ken has continued to record.  However, all he does is collections of cover tunes he likes and many are not even rock.  None of the songs are Christian lyrics.
Arent those albums meant to be "how to sing like X" instructional cds (much like his youtube page)? Back on track, MXPX were listed as "Christian" into the 2000s and were listed on the Christian charts, but if you look, aside from the very first album (Pokinatcha), they've never really written any Christian lyrics (though most of their stuff is clean). Same with Blessed By A Broken Heart.
It is either this or a project of a cover band to make events. It's called Ballroom Blitz, if I am not mistaken.

In this case, you know clearly that you wouldn't get original songs or even christian lyrics for it...

I am a huge fan of Ken Tamplin, and I follow his channel on Youtbe, so I know there is a video where he says about everyhing in his carreer.
I t is a good watch, if you have time.

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 pm

There were several Christian black metal bands signed to E.E.E. Recordings (or their sublabel Gud Er Sannhet) that apostatized around the same time. Roughly the same group of people was involved across those projects, but it was a weird thing. Flaskavsae and some of the later Light Shall Prevail stuff sounded really good.

Circle of Dust counts for this thread too if you consider it metal.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:21 am

As I Lay Dying.
The Devil Wears Prada.
Gideon.
Zao.

Teramaze?  I don't have anything but Tears to Dust so I haven't seen it first-hand (forgive me if I'm wrong), but I've heard they went the way of Believer in being cryptic about faith-aspects.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Believer
Seventh Angel
 Yes, those are the two that come to mind. But at least we have their old albums.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Opeth3232, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 am

Deliverance is an interesting example. I hadn't even considered that, but upon consideration, you may be on to something.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 am

I hate it when Christian bands abandon their message to spread God's Word through their talents.

It's completely cowardly IMHO.  

NONE of these Christian bands improve when they abandon the Christian lyrics.  It's dumb on all levels:  creatively, financially, and spiritually.  Such a cynical ploy.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, Opeth3232, StevenCressler and Christian Thrash Rules like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:21 pm

^I'm with TOB 100% on this one.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead and Opeth3232 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I hate it when Christian bands abandon their message to spread God's Word through their talents.

It's completely cowardly IMHO.  

NONE of these Christian bands improve when they abandon the Christian lyrics.  It's dumb on all levels:  creatively, financially, and spiritually.  Such a cynical ploy.
On general lines, I kind of agree with you...
But we should analyze it each case individually...

If you look at Deliverance, for instance, I see in the interviews that Jimmy Brown, on a certain way, kind of left christianity in his personal life. So, he writes about what's in his mind.
He never stated that clearly, but I remeber that he said he hadn't been in a church in a long time.

So, it is a natural consequence...

Last edited by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:25 pm

This thread is gradually degenerating into a pit of slander.

Check yourselves before you wreck yourselves, folks.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

petrafan007 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm

BaleMaster wrote:This thread is gradually degenerating into a pit of slander.

Check yourselves before you wreck yourselves, folks.
Can you tell me why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:37 pm

I am not judging, I don't even care about christian lyrics that much nowadays.

What I said is based on facts and also is out there, in the internet.

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:48 am

Sorry if I came off abrasive...but I've seen many, many similar threads on here devolve into mudslinging and judgementalism.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 am

BaleMaster wrote:Check yourselves before you wreck yourselves, folks.

Ok, the use of that phrase alone should get you banned from the CMR!  Smile Razz
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:06 am

On the above, I don't think Deliverance has many explicit Christian lyrics since they reformed and released Assimilation and latter releases. Impellitteri isn't a christian band and Chris lets Rob write what ever he wants. I didn't find any change in Rob's writing style. Rob has said in interviews that the lates album Nature of the Beast is reflecting the good and evil themes. If you read the lyrics they reflect on both the internal struggle the Bible talks about regarding dying to the old nature and the cosmic spiritual battle between God and Satan and the global antichrist beast New World Order system. 

There are other band members/former bands and members that are still very vocal about their beliefs:
Petra/Classic Petra
Stryper
Whitecross
Jamie Rowe
John Schlitt
John Elefante
Jerusalem
Bloodgood

Last edited by Soldier777 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 pm

BaleMaster wrote:Sorry if I came off abrasive...but I've seen many, many similar threads on here devolve into mudslinging and judgementalism.

Yup.  I could think of a pretty long list of bands/members who've apostatized or tried to go "mainstream" and shy away from anything overtly Christian but I've refrained from posting for that reason.  It breaks my heart but there's not much value in listing them IMO and if anything, were those people to see discussions about them, it'd more than likely just serve as additional fuel for their disdain towards Christians.  (I can think of one guy in particular who used to be a member here and one of his bands is even listed in this thread: when he made known that he no longer considered himself a Christian, he got a lot of attention about it and stiff-armed Christians pretty severely.  There were some nasty thing said for all to see on FB.)  Most of those apostate bands I no longer listen to,  but for the few I do... any time I listen to them I use that as a reminder to say a silent prayer for 'em.

Follower of Jesus wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:Check yourselves before you wreck yourselves, folks.

Ok, the use of that phrase alone should get you banned from the CMR!  Smile Razz

FOJ is right.  One month ban from CMR; see you at the end of August.  (just kidding  Razz)

Tyrant
Tyrant

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pm

😄
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:59 am

Yeah Kerrick, I see that side of it and you're right, there is nothing good to come out of judgmentalism. 

There IS value of a list like this in a "buyer beware" sense.  I have bought albums expecting Christian content and been disappointed to find out it wasn't that way anymore.  This isn't judgmental, it's a personal conviction to listen almost exclusively to Christian music.  I do feel like threads like this and "Is _______ still a Christian band" have value for people like me.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Athanasius, Opeth3232, Constantine, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:16 pm

eatbugs wrote:There IS value of a list like this in a "buyer beware" sense.  I have bought albums expecting Christian content and been disappointed to find out it wasn't that way anymore.  This isn't judgmental, it's a personal conviction to listen almost exclusively to Christian music.  I do feel like threads like this and "Is _______ still a Christian band" have value for people like me.
Exactly.  I was going to say the same and when I got to the end of the thread, it was already (better) said.

I would rather get a heads-up when a band diverges.  Especially because I often can't understand the lyrics anyway and have to dig to see what they are singing about.  Knowing what to expect would save a lot of extra work.

While it is disappointing and sad when a band or artist follows a different path, it is not always surprising since we all go through changes, challenges and temptations in life.  What saddens me more is when they then develop contempt and derision for Christians and for their Christian audience.  I can think of a few who have done this and it seems so mean-spirited and unnecessary.    (I'm tempted to mention one well-known guitarist in particular whom I have interacted with on You Tube but I agree with everyone here, that would be unwise and counter-productive).

Last edited by Constantine on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Constantine wrote:
eatbugs wrote:There IS value of a list like this in a "buyer beware" sense.  I have bought albums expecting Christian content and been disappointed to find out it wasn't that way anymore.  This isn't judgmental, it's a personal conviction to listen almost exclusively to Christian music.  I do feel like threads like this and "Is _______ still a Christian band" have value for people like me.
Exactly.  I was going to say the same and when I got to the end of the thread, it was already (better) said.

I would rather get a heads-up when a band diverges.  Especially because I often can't understand the lyrics anyway and have to dig to see what they are singing about.  Knowing what to expect would save a lot of extra work.

Yeah I get that; I'm the same way and want to know what I'm getting into when discovering a new band.  And forums like these are a great way to share information.  But it's a sensitive matter and IMO generally best discussed privately since threads like this often devolve into gossip.  So long as this thread continues to remain respectful and avoiding gossip, I have no intent on locking it or anything.  But out of respect for those discussed, let's please keep the conversation to what's public information (i.e. not "so-and-so told me over a private message that they no longer consider themselves a Christian" etc.) and to what's explicit without making presumptions about how/why they left the faith and such.

Tyrant
Tyrant

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 pm

There's no need for any gossip.

The lyrics are often available to read and usually can easily be interpreted.

Is anyone actually denying that these bands listed no longer write Christian lyrics?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next