Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by timekeeper on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 am

I know it's a long shot, but I regularly watch 'That Metal Show', and think it would be a great idea to have them do an episode featuring bands in the Christian scene, complete with their 'Top 5' Christian hard rock/metal bands, recommendations for Christian releases, featured guitarist (plenty of options), a throwdown, guests, and guest album rankings.  It would be great for band exposure too.  AM I the only one who's considered this?  Heck, I've even considered a Christian version of the show, but you now the criticism there would be for another Christian 'copy' of something out there.  I've emailed/tweeted Eddie Trunk about doing something like this on an episode - still waiting for a response, of course!  Thoughts?
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 885
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 am

timekeeper wrote:I know it's a long shot, but I regularly watch 'That Metal Show', and think it would be a great idea to have them do an episode featuring bands in the Christian scene, complete with their 'Top 5' Christian hard rock/metal bands, recommendations for Christian releases, featured guitarist (plenty of options), a throwdown, guests, and guest album rankings.  It would be great for band exposure too.  AM I the only one who's considered this?  Heck, I've even considered a Christian version of the show, but you now the criticism there would be for another Christian 'copy' of something out there.  I've emailed/tweeted Eddie Trunk about doing something like this on an episode - still waiting for a response, of course!  Thoughts?

Can't imagine there being enough people wanting to watch that outside of this forum to make it worth their time to do it ..   Sad


If I was Eddie, I wouldn't do it because the risk / reward isn't appealing

>You get some Christian metal fans who will tune in one time to watch the show, then probably never watch again because the rest of the shows don't have anything Christian about them. 

>Any Christian metal fans who like non-Christian metal probably already watch or know of the show. So you really aren't building your show's fan base. Not to mention, the number of Christian metal fans is pretty small already, so you are not reaching into a strong market to begin with.

>you run the risk of losing those secular metal fans who loathe anything Christian


Don't get me wrong, it would be great to watch. I just don't think it can happen.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by timekeeper on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 am

You may be right - so, the other option - at least one show dedicated to the subject?  It would be cool to bring in Rex Carroll, Chris Impellitteri, etc. to be the guest musician to show the world that there is talent like that in the scene worthy to be showcased.
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 885
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:04 am

timekeeper wrote:You may be right - so, the other option - at least one show dedicated to the subject?  It would be cool to bring in Rex Carroll, Chris Impellitteri, etc. to be the guest musician to show the world that there is talent like that in the scene worthy to be showcased.


My comments were actually talking about it being just one dedicated show  Razz...  

I think having a guest on every now and then would be something they could do, as long as the whole show wasn't steered towards Christian music. Rex and Chris would be good choices.

When I saw Michael Sweet on it, I thought Eddie and the hosts made jokes about it and turned it into kind of a side-show

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Temple of Blood on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 am

I'd like to see a metal version of the show.

Temple of Blood
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 785
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by strype53 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:17 pm

I totally agree with this statement.  I sent Eddie an email asking about this back in February.   Here is the email I sent:

Eddie:
   I listen to your podcast all the time, and watch that Metal Show.  I enjoy you helping keep Metal alive.  I grew up listening to all these bands, but I also grew up listening to Christian Metal.  I always find myself wishing that there was a voice for them like the Metal community has you.  So I am wondering did you ever listen to any Christian Metal bands besides Stryper?  Would you or have you ever addressed this side of Metal Music? I have scoured podcasts and interviews with these artists, and frankly  the interviews are not that great most of the time. Would you ever consider doing a podcast about some of these bands?  Just wondering your thoughts.  Keep up the good work bro!

Eddie's response:
My guests aren't based on religious beliefs just if they are bands my audience might want to hear from or fit what I do. So anything is possible, thanks
avatar
strype53
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 61
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by timekeeper on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 am

Cool, thanks for the input!
avatar
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 885
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 am

strype53 wrote:I totally agree with this statement.  I sent Eddie an email asking about this back in February.   Here is the email I sent:

Eddie:
   I listen to your podcast all the time, and watch that Metal Show.  I enjoy you helping keep Metal alive.  I grew up listening to all these bands, but I also grew up listening to Christian Metal.  I always find myself wishing that there was a voice for them like the Metal community has you.  So I am wondering did you ever listen to any Christian Metal bands besides Stryper?  Would you or have you ever addressed this side of Metal Music? I have scoured podcasts and interviews with these artists, and frankly  the interviews are not that great most of the time. Would you ever consider doing a podcast about some of these bands?  Just wondering your thoughts.  Keep up the good work bro!

Eddie's response:
My guests aren't based on religious beliefs just if they are bands my audience might want to hear from or fit what I do. So anything is possible, thanks




I take that as a nice way to blow off the question...

He can't come out and say that they wouldn't do it because of the religious beliefs because he would have lawsuits slapped on him in a quick minute. Notice the lawyerese "My guests aren't based on religious beliefs"... "fit what I do"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by deathisgain on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 am

1. Wouldn't the Rewind Podcast that Les Carlsen does be similar to this?

2. Eddie did have Michael Sweet on that one time:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_show/that-metal-show-episode-802-jani-lane-michael-sweet-taime-downe/1669899/playlist/#id=1669899
avatar
deathisgain
Metal Slacker

Posts : 2168
Join date : 2012-02-01
Age : 47

http://www.deathisgain.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am

deathisgain wrote:1. Wouldn't the Rewind Podcast that Les Carlsen does be similar to this?

2. Eddie did have Michael Sweet on that one time:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_show/that-metal-show-episode-802-jani-lane-michael-sweet-taime-downe/1669899/playlist/#id=1669899


Yeah, that was the show I brought up earlier and I said that I thought they kind of poked fun at the whole "Christian" thing by the music list they did and some of the comments.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by strype53 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Yeah the rewind series, just deals with bands that were on that record label.  I have found most of them interviews lacking.  The Deliverance ones were pretty good, but it left me wishing Jimmy P Brown would do a podcast with other Christian bands from that era, I think that would go over pretty well!
avatar
strype53
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Posts : 61
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 44

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Throne of thorns on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 am

Yeah that would be pretty cool.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by WildWorld on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Do they still do Behind the Music (i havent seen much VH1 or VH1 Classics since my cable company dropped all the viacom channels)? If so, one on Stryper could be pretty good.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 1370
Join date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by sentient 6 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:46 pm

If you think about, this is kind of asking a lot from secular people who have the money and oulets to put out quality programming. You are asking them to focus on bands that have a message ( for the most part ) that they despise ? The secular world is not asking for Christian metal. They put Michael on as a novelty, and because they had some cross over sucess in the 80s. There was some nostalgia factor that they could sell because MTV played some of their stuff. And then, it provided a comedic element for those other two guys to capitalize on. Same thing when you get a Slayer guy or Anthrax guy talking about them.
avatar
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Posts : 5826
Join date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by oldschooldoom on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:58 pm

I would watch a Christian version of That Metal Show.
Who would be the host?
avatar
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Posts : 2790
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : 'Merica

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Throne of thorns on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 am

sentient 6 wrote:If you think about, this is kind of asking a lot from secular people who have the money and oulets to put out quality programming. You are asking them to focus on bands that have a message ( for the most part ) that they despise ? The secular world is not asking for Christian metal. They put Michael on as a novelty, and because they had some cross over sucess in the 80s. There was some nostalgia factor that they could sell because MTV played some of their stuff. And then, it provided a comedic element for those other two guys to capitalize on. Same thing when you get a Slayer guy or Anthrax guy talking about them.
The fact is unless you are a christian metal fan that likes Stryper they are kind of hard for most secular people to take seriously...and for good reason take your pick. Though there are people who are not christian that do like them. I would like to see a christian metal show like this though that would be really good and interesting I think.
avatar
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Posts : 602
Join date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Would love to see Christian band episode of That Metal Show - or even a Christian version?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum