The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian metal lyrics that go "too far"....

+2
Temple of Blood
ThomasEversole
6 posters

Go down

Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Empty Christian metal lyrics that go "too far"....

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 am

This year, I've been putting forth an effort into integrating more Christian music into my playlists.  The good news is, there's lots to choose from.  My music preference is pretty underground/raw extreme metal and there seems to be new stuff coming out all the time.  The bad news, I've noticed a trend that some Christian underground projects take regarding lyrics, that concerns me greatly.  

I wouldn't think extreme violence and being sexually explicit would be something I'd have to worry about with Christian bands (or bands that are anti-evil, or anti-satan), but....  I seem to keep encountering bands that take this approach.  

I'm even reluctant to post lyrics verbatim in spoiler brackets of this one track I stumbled on to yesterday.  The song context is clearly anti-lust, but the presentation is beyond anything I've ever seen before.

Has anyone else noticed something like this?
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Empty Re: Christian metal lyrics that go "too far"....

Post by Temple of Blood Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Interesting.  I do like provocative Christian lyrics but I realize there are limits.

What about vomitorial corpulence?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Empty Re: Christian metal lyrics that go "too far"....

Post by ThomasEversole Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Interesting.  I do like provocative Christian lyrics but I realize there are limits.

What about vomitorial corpulence?

What would you say the limits are?  I guess a better question would be, have you stumbled upon said limits yourself?

In comparison to some other Christian lyrics I've encountered, I would consider Vomitorial Corpulence lyrics to range from hard-truth / pull-no-punches, to rather amusing...
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm

I'd say profanity is going too far, just off the top of my head.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Yeah, profanity in Christian metal is a bummer....

I'd say violence is what sends my "spidey senses" tingling more than anything. Not just any old violence though. I mean, war (whether spiritual, in heaven, etc.) implies violence, stories and depictions of that, isn't what I'm talking about at all though....

It's when the lyrics feel like "artist rage". Like instead of shining light into the darkness, they're being violent (bordering on nasty) to darkness. Its not Christ or heavenly forces killing demons, its them. (so its uh.... fiction...)

Here's an excerpt from a track that doesn't sit too well with me. I can provide artist/song info if asked.

Guarded by blood
Supremacy, we slaughter and kill
Waging war with demons
"Decend, to the gates of hell!"
Blood soaked blade
A will of iron
I cannot die
My strength in weakness
Wheeping and gnashing of teeth
As my blade rips through their flesh
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Good topic!

Some time ago I got a free CD with a purchase of some other music.  It was an EP of a Christian gothic metal band and it had a song about lust - maybe this is what you're referring to.  I ended up getting rid of it because my mind automatically wanted to put images to the words sang and that was no good.  They weren't too explicit, but still doesn't belong in Christian music IMO.

Profanity shouldn't be in Christian music, for sure.  Christians have tried to justify the use of foul language many times - and that's perhaps better discussed in a separate thread so as not to derail this one - but regardless of whether it's a sin or not, I just don't see the need and it'll only harm their testimony, not enhance it.  That being said, the occasional four-letter-word isn't always a deal-breaker for me.

As for the "smash satin's hed" type lyrics, I think those are generally stupid, inane, and immature, though not necessarily all bad.  They lyrics Thomas posted imply the elect descending into hell to fight demons for which I am aware of no biblical basis and they show a very limited and weak understanding of God's Word.  Personally, I wouldn't ever buy or choose to listen to music by such a band.  But on the other hand, you have songs like Crush The Head Of The Serpent by Blood Thirsty which point to Christ's supremacy and His glory, not our own:

Blood Thirsty wrote:Cursed ancient one, you slithering snake
Trails in the sand and dirt you will make
Eat the dust, your sustenance made
For your deception, the price you've paid
The age-old falsehood, by lies to ensnare
With forked tongue tasting the air

Precision strike, the venom inject
Years of mendacity, ways to infect
Equivocation, untruths are told
Beguiling the masses, a concept of old
Jealousy to God, your plan of condemnation
Entice humankind with multitude temptation

Your crafty ways, the plan to deceive
That day in the Garden when spoken to Eve

Jesus took it all, the Lamb who was slain
His payment on the cross, body wracked with pain
Death could not hold Him, divine resurrection
Took the keys of death & hell, sin disconnection
Doomed to destruction, your fate has been sealed
When Christ returns, His glory revealed

Crush the head of the serpent

Lucifer, you better run! Run!
He's coming! He's coming!
It is finished!

I really dig these lyrics!

But where I draw the line usually has to do more with doctrine/theology.  There are numerous "Christian" band with heretical or just so far "off" lyrics/stances that I just cannot enjoy their music.  As a hypothetical example, I wouldn't listen to a band who subscribes to the prosperity "gospel."

Those are all just personal preferences though.  "Too far" is a pretty big grey area, but if a band's music is heretical/unorthodox, foul, or sexually explicit, I'd say they shouldn't give themselves the Christian tag.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Kerrick wrote:It was an EP of a Christian gothic metal band and it had a song about lust - maybe this is what you're referring to.  I ended up getting rid of it because my mind automatically wanted to put images to the words sang and that was no good.  They weren't too explicit, but still doesn't belong in Christian music IMO.

Against my better judgement, I'm going to post a lyric excerpt of what I was referencing in the original post,in spoiler brackets - not the whole song.  I can discuss the project and this is part of one track from an album, but reading this in their lyrics, it just seemed beyond out of bounds, beyond excessive to me.

Spoiler:

If your feeling is Shocked Shocked Shocked reading that, then we had similar reactions...
-_-

Kerrick wrote:Profanity shouldn't be in Christian music, for sure.

Right.  An artist putting profane/controversial words in their music lyrics does seem careless, reckless, insensitive, etc.  ....to say the least.

Kerrick wrote:As for the "smash satin's hed" type lyrics, I think those are generally stupid, inane, and immature, though not necessarily all bad.

Yes, I find them annoying for the most part.  I think because its more about what's bad more than it is about what's good....  or holy.
....and I can't help but think there's hate lurking somewhere around all that violence talk.  Maybe hate is the wrong word....  bloodlust?  An excuse to be violent?

I know secular metal often talks death violence and destruction in their lyrics, and it seems counter productive for Christians to take the exact same approach, just the other side of the fence.

That's like someone crawling 10 blocks in a snow storm to buy a bottle of whiskey, or crawling 10 blocks in a snow storm to go to an AA meeting.  Granted, the end result of one of those is considered healthier than the other, but the means (crawling in the snow) is still not the healthiest behavior.  

:/

Kerrick wrote:
But where I draw the line usually has to do more with doctrine/theology.  There are numerous "Christian" band with heretical or just so far "off" lyrics/stances that I just cannot enjoy their music.  As a hypothetical example, I wouldn't listen to a band who subscribes to the prosperity "gospel."

Those are all just personal preferences though.  "Too far" is a pretty big grey area, but if a band's music is heretical/unorthodox, foul, or sexually explicit, I'd say they shouldn't give themselves the Christian tag.

If some mega prosperity gospel preacher released a killer black metal album with basic non-prosperity wholesome Christian lyrics, I'd be checking it out for sure.  I guess I prefer to keep my enjoyment of art completely separate from whether or not I agree with the artist's heart, mind and actions.  ...but that's just my preference.   Laughing
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 am

Guarded by blood
Waging war with demons
Blood soaked blade
A will of iron
I cannot die
My strength in weakness
I'm not much of a Metal guy anymore haven't been for a very very long time, having said that, I kinda dig these lyrics, but I think part of it is also delivery, while I dig these lyrics I might feel a bit uncomfortable if it sounded like "Cookie Monster" or that type of delivery. But just reading them here I'm like "Ok this is about Spiritual Warfare, i can dig it"

My big issue is bands who try to cause controversy for contraversy's sake Stryper immediately comes to mind. To me that is lame, and immature and a big Hey look at me I need 15 more minutes please!! I think liimits is an individual thing, what bothers me might not bother you and vice versa.  I agree this is a good topic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 am

If your feeling is Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Icon_eek Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Icon_eek Christian metal lyrics that go "too far".... Icon_eek reading that, then we had similar reactions...

Yup that was my reaction too

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 am

Warzawa wrote:I kinda dig these lyrics, but I think part of it is also delivery, while I dig these lyrics I might feel a bit uncomfortable if it sounded like "Cookie Monster" or that type of delivery.

Those lyrics you quoted, that project refers to their music genre as "Pure Canadian Anti-Luciferic War Metal".
Its sound is definitely an extreme metal delivery.

For myself, the music/vocal style doesn't really play a part. "Waging war with demons", that's part of spiritual warfare and again not an issue for me. Its the "I cannot die" and "As my blade rips through their flesh" that makes me grimace... Something about the first person perspective + violence + fantasy/fiction that I'm killing demons with my blade, doesn't set well with me.

Warzawa wrote:I think limits is an individual thing, what bothers me might not bother you and vice versa.

Very true. If someone could relate (in a good way) to violent Christian metal lyrics, I wouldn't argue with them that its wrong. I have a hard time grasping that myself though - and it's a little too close to wrong for me. I myself had some dark days in the past, where I was violent. I was arrested and went to jail for it too. For me, these types of war against evil/demons lyrics remind me of another "war" with my former self instead...

I don't know if such a thing exists, but I would feel the same way with a Christian drinking song. Not drunkenness, but some praising God while drinking beer type (metal) song. I can understand how a Christian could drink and it not be a downfall, I could also understand how a Christian metalhead could enjoy a song like that.....

Unfortunately, I couldn't. I've had my own personal war with alcoholism and mixing my vice with my faith just sets off too many internal alarms... Sad
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MadKraken Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 am

On a similar note, how about album cover art that goes too far? There are albums in my digital library whose art I replaced with the band's logo on account of nudity or gore.
MadKraken
MadKraken
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am

Interesting thread. My reaction to those lyrics is one of sadness as that mind picture ruins any message they might be making. Might be going for shock but it can ruin what you are saying.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 am

Warzawa wrote:But just reading them here I'm like "Ok this is about Spiritual Warfare, i can dig it"

That's kinda what I was trying to get at earlier with this general type of lyrics: songs about spiritual warfare - although way overused in Christian metal - aren't inherently bad IMO, though in this specific case, I'd say they are wrong due to their grossly false understanding of it all.

Warzawa wrote:My big issue is bands who try to cause controversy for contraversy's sake Stryper immediately comes to mind. To me that is lame, and immature and a big Hey look at me I need 15 more minutes please!! I think liimits is an individual thing, what bothers me might not bother you and vice versa.  I agree this is a good topic

Yes, I usually avoid those bands continuously caught up in controversy as well.  It's just a poor witness and it's hard for me to disassociate it from the music/message.  Granted, some level of controversy (or any sin for that matter) is inevitable, but how it's dealt with can be quite telling.  For what it's worth, I'd be more inclined to buy a new As I Lay Dying album over one from Joshua Perahia - even though Tim tried to have his wife murdered, but is (from what I can tell) repentant.

As for album covers, I'm less put off by gore than anything sexual/with nudity, though as with lyrics, I don't think artists should be asking, "how far can I go without being wrong or sinful?" but rather, "how can I glorify God through this art?".  If the latter question is asked, the former becomes quite irrelevant.

Heavy metal has always been rooted in being counter-cultural in many ways.  Christian heavy metal (especially extreme metal) often takes that a step further to be counter to the preexisting metal culture (i.e. Horde and the anti-Christian black metal culture, etc.).  There's so much effort put into being edgy or attempting to be "relevant" that any gospel message is eclipsed.  That's why I absolutely love bands like Irgalom, The Arbiter, Renascent, Ritual Servant, and the like who have straight-up biblical lyrics and don't try to cater to any cultural ques.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:54 am

My opinion with artwork, the artist can truly have glory to God in their heart with artwork of nudity/gore, but there's a cultural aspect as well.  If said artwork requires a explanation (in addendum to the artwork itself) to convince other Christians that its not sinful/evil/questionable, then....  epic Christian artwork fail.

ie: It was the late 90s, I wish I could remember the band name, but there was some Christian death metal band that had artwork on their website that was quite questionable.  (it was Christ on the cross, but he was disemboweled and turned upside down)  

I emailed them asking if they were a Christian band.  (cause they were on a roster of Christian death metal bands)
They replied back stating they were, and explained what the artwork meant.  (it was some kind of representation of the anti-Christ's fall or something?)

The irony is, I can't remember their explanation of the artwork near as well as the controversial imagery they used.  :/
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I'd say violence is what sends my "spidey senses" tingling more than anything.  Not just any old violence though.  I mean, war (whether spiritual, in heaven, etc.) implies violence, stories and depictions of that, isn't what I'm talking about at all though....  

It's when the lyrics feel like "artist rage".  Like instead of shining light into the darkness, they're being violent (bordering on nasty) to darkness.  Its not Christ or heavenly forces killing demons, its them.  (so its uh....   fiction...)

Here's an excerpt from a track that doesn't sit too well with me.  I can provide artist/song info if asked.

Guarded by blood
Waging war with demons
Blood soaked blade
A will of iron
I cannot die
My strength in weakness

Yeah, I agree with you there.  Reminds me of a Christian metal band called "Dead Pharisees".  By that name, it's clear to me that they were kids forming a Christian metal band who didn't get the point of Christianity.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 pm

MadKraken wrote:On a similar note, how about album cover art that goes too far? There are albums in my digital library whose art I replaced with the band's logo on account of nudity or gore.
I was going to bring that up as well. Album covers bother me at times from the look of the band to artwork sometimes its ridiculous. There is a death black metal band out right now I cant think of the name it's one of those ridiculous unintelligible words written in spikey spooky spider web streaks. The art work was offensive and I'm not easily offended but it had the devil with the goat head wrapped up in chains blood going all over the place his head hanging halfway off his head with a broken pentegram and what looks like a metal nail studded phallus getting shoved up his itchy bits. I was actually disturbed and felt raped after looking at it. I couldn't believe it was being promoted as Christian. Lyrically the Brutal Warfares and Slay The Wicked songs are really cool to me but some of the other stuff is out there and I was always taught never to challenge the devil but some bands have no issues and that's fine. Song's and lyrics about Calvinism and Arminianism get deleted immediately
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down