The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obscure bands list, let's keep it to hair/glam here.

+10
Superjuice
force perspective
Temple of Blood
Staybrite
MikeInFla
alldatndensum
Noods
WildWorld
11razorwire
Black Rider
14 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Obscure bands list, let's keep it to hair/glam here.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Obscure bands list, let's keep it to hair/glam here.

Post by Black Rider Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:31 pm

I had two albums by Tora Tora, now I wish i'd kept them.

I think there were tons of bands like Perennial, good quality just needed a break.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Obscure bands list, let's keep it to hair/glam here.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Obscure bands list, let's keep it to hair/glam here.

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:48 am

Staybrite wrote:This was a local band that never had any national fame.  But they spent a ton of money on this video.  Their bass player went to my High School (but a few years ahead).  You might have heard of the drummer (Mark Welling), he did a stint in Bloodgood.

I like that, I wonder if they have anything else out there?
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 am

hmmm.. just looked them up and only a modern unsigned punk band shows up in results.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am

Ah just gotta look harder. Heres another and the CD is on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Youre-Ones-My-Dreams-Perennial/dp/B003TERCFA

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

By that picture I was expecting something as hard as Journey but that's pretty good.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Black Rider wrote:I had two albums by Tora Tora, now I wish i'd kept them.

I think there were tons of bands like Perennial, good quality just needed a break.

Very true, some of those bands just needed to get on a great supporting tour to get some exposure.
I used to have that first Tora Tora album on cassette and wish I had kept it.

MikeInFla wrote:Ah just gotta look harder. Heres another and the CD is on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Youre-Ones-My-Dreams-Perennial/dp/B003TERCFA

I'm pretty sure that's the cd I have.  It's actually a "collected works" compilation.  It has the two 4-song EPs that they did (one of which I had on vinyl back in the day) along with their only full-length album (that I had on cassette).  They recorded the "You're the Ones" song for both their first EP and their full length album.  You can actually pick it up cheaper from Retrospect (which is were I got it).

http://www.retrospectrecords.com/products/perennial.html

Black Rider wrote:By that picture I was expecting something as hard as Journey but that's pretty good.

The songs from their earlier EPs are a little tougher than what they recorded for their full length album.  Chasing a more commercial sound in hopes of making it big.

Here's another song.

Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Pretty good and that guitar break is niiiiice.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Black Rider wrote:Pretty good and that guitar break is niiiiice.

The guitarist was definitely the star of the band.  I hear he is working as a music producer/engineer somewhere now.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Remember this?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Remember this?

I'm pretty certain I have never heard this before, very cool!
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Anybody remember these guys?

Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 pm

I do and I really enjoy their sound but songs like Hot Sex and Back on the Bit...kept me away.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:07 am

alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 am

And, while these guys were getting more exposure due to touring with more well known bands, they were still lesser known to a lot of folks.  I got to see them opening for the dual headliners Judas Priest/Alice Cooper one time.

alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:17 am

alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 am

I don't think I ever heard of Joanna Dean, might need to check out more.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 am

She was a Memphis girl who broke out with this album.  She had a second album with another band name later.  This was the only one under her own name, however.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 am

11razorwire wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Neal Schon wanted a reason to rock harder so he did Hardline, though they weren't obscure. Hey Razorwire, are you the same name on Youtube? Think i've seen you.
Yeah, I debated on putting Hardline in this thread figuring it was kinda a gray area regarding them being obscure. But, yes that is me on Youtube. I was in the process of making lots more of those full-length album videos but got too many copyright warnings so I can't do anymore.

I would count them as more obscure.  Until I got XM radio two years ago, I had never heard of them.  Hair Metal Nation only plays the song "Hot Cherie".
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Yeah, not a top tier act but with Schon, not really obscure. Oh well.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:33 am

I recently caught part of Decline Of Western Civilization Part 2. I have never seen the whole movie, I need to check it out sometime. So while some of these bands may not be too obscure due to publicity from the movie I have never heard of most of the bands in the movie.

And Odin was hilarious in the hot tub scene talking about how they would be bigger than The Doors.

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 am

alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 am

Decline of Western Civ was a sad movie in many ways.

Never listened to Pretty Boy Floyd, they just seemed like caricature's of what the scene had become, but that's a good song.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Ever heard of Saigon Kick? Still had a hair metal sound, but sounded different from most of what was around in the scene:

Another "different" hair band was T-Ride:

If these bands had come around in 88 or even 89 they might have had a chance, but by 91-92 the scene was so associated with pretty boys like Trixter and Mr. Big that even the bands who were trying something different werent gaining any traction.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:47 pm

I agree, Saigon Kick had some funk and some Beatlesque parts but their one single was a ballad and that's what stuck. Kind of like Extreme. 

i remember hearing about T-Ride and how it was going to change music then the era of angst took over and killed them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Pretty Boy Floyd has a new album out on Frontiers.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next