The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

+17
Superjuice
crucifyd
TZ75
Second Wind
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
BaleMaster
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
Ammocas
seth
scottmitchell74
StevenCressler
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Pethead
21 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

TQT or Morty?

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 I_vote_lcap73%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 22 ]
First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 I_vote_lcap27%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 30

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:38 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Black Rider wrote:I don't think Testament were riding coattails, they were pretty much there at the beginning.

I’ve seen documentaries that stated that they were considered a part of the “second wave” like Forbidden. I think they formed in 1983 as The Legacy, but they didn’t release their debut until 1987. 

They were slightly behind The Big Four and Exodus. If you take note of the Metallica formula, you can see some similarities. 

It’s not a big deal though… most bands followed Metallica’s lead (except Slayer). They developed their own signature riffing style. And of coarse Dave Mustaine was a trailblazer in his own right. He also helped develop Metallica’s early sound.
Exactly right.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by scottmitchell74 Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:53 pm

Stop the Bleeding and Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance are my two favorite Thrash albums ever.

Ive long been pleased that, just by chance, the two best Thrash albums happen to be Christian.

But it's like saying Halle Berry is better looking than J Lo or Anisten or Hayek... or any number of other super babes.

You can be awesome and still come in 2nd. 😄

Thread over. 🎤
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:33 pm

Black Rider wrote:
seth wrote:Very few thrash bands can really compete with Tourniquet. Even the secular bands everybody loves (like Megadeth and early Metallica) aren’t on the same level imo. I can only think of two other progressive/hybrid/“quirky” thrash bands that are on a similar level of quality, Adorned Graves and Biogenesis. And even these are significantly different stylistically than Tourniquet. It seems in general the best bands are kind of in a stylistic class of their own
I love Tourniquet but this is crazy talk. Guitar wise they aren't at deth or Metallica levels at their peak. I'd say even an Skolnick of Testament is better guitar wise.
Tbh, I would put Tourniquet above them, just because I judge a band as a collection of songs. Neither Metallica or Megadeth made a Broken Chromosomes. Even though I'm sure there's more, the only Megadeth song I've heard (I still really liked all of them) that I would consider top-tier is Tornado of Souls. And Metallica has a couple top-tier songs, but I know they aren't that consistent (knowing how crazy my takes are I'll probably put St. Anger at #1 or something but whatever). One and Master of Puppets are the only Metallica songs I've heard that can compete with the absolute best TQT songs, though some are close. But then I also prefer Deliverance to Tourniquet, so I have a lot of subjectivity to my preferences (not saying D is objectivly bad, but the objective quality of their music can't compete with Tourniquet). Still, I think Tourniquet is objectively the best band I know (at least metal, as it is completely unfair for me to compare them to other genres with my huge metal bias). Maybe Metadethica are better guitar-wise, but I think Tourniquet has some genius lyrics with their comparison point-making and poetry, and we can't deny that TQT is more creative.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

scottmitchell74 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:58 pm

Ask your doctor if once-daily Metadethica is right for you.

Brought to you by Pfizer.  First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 1f480
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Pethead, TZ75, scottmitchell74, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:03 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:Ask your doctor if once-daily Metadethica is right for you.

Brought to you by Pfizer.  First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 4 1f480
(Side effects include bloating, cramping, fever, rash, hair loss, blindness, vomiting, explosive diarrhea, cancer, and death)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:44 pm

It may not be as great as Broken Chromosomes, but I have always liked the melancholy feel of “In My Darkest Hour” by Megadeth. Same with Metallica’s Fade to Black.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:56 pm

Best Deth song is “Rust in Peace…Polaris.” I will die on this hill.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

CrimsonWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:32 pm

Pethead wrote:Best Deth song is “Rust in Peace…Polaris.” I will die on this hill.
It's good for sure, I still prefer Tornado though, mainly because of the chorus
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:33 pm

TZ75 wrote:It may not be as great as Broken Chromosomes, but I have always liked the melancholy feel of “In My Darkest Hour” by Megadeth. Same with Metallica’s Fade to Black.
I'll check it out when I get the chance!
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:46 pm

Pethead wrote:Best Deth song is “Rust in Peace…Polaris.” I will die on this hill.

I'm torn between this and Holy Wars. What an incredible and flawless album though.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:56 pm

My top 5 Megadeth songs…

Holy Wars… The Punishment Due
In My Darkest Hour
Five Magics
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18 (the best soloing trade offs ever)
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:31 pm

(best Pethead impression)

what's it like being wrong?...
it's Wake Up Dead
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:33 pm

The voice is all off. Sounds nothing like me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

crucifyd, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:29 pm

TZ75 wrote:
I think they topped themselves with Ashes In Your Mouth
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:48 pm

Superjuice wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
I think they topped themselves with Ashes In Your Mouth

I disagree. I prefer the energetic urgency on Hangar. 

But Ashes is nice as well… it’s more melodic. It’s also closer to standard heavy metal (less thrash).

Last edited by TZ75 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:59 pm

I don’t like the overly polished production on Countdown to Extinction. They used a metronome and it has a robotic feel. I’m not saying the songs are bad… I like most of them. 

I also don’t like the processed rhythm guitar tone. The previous albums had more ballsy distortion.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:03 pm

When I hear Hangar 18 play on XM radio I always crank it up when the trade off solo jamming kicks in!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:24 pm

Because it's the second greatest thrash song of all time, no one played like those two together.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:30 am

Post Momentary Affliction

that is my answer
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:05 pm

TZ75 wrote:I don’t like the overly polished production on Countdown to Extinction. They used a metronome and it has a robotic feel.

Dude... Literally everyone in that genre played to, and still plays to, a click when recording. So, no....
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Superjuice and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:15 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I don’t like the overly polished production on Countdown to Extinction. They used a metronome and it has a robotic feel.

Dude... Literally everyone in that genre played to, and still plays to, a click when recording. So, no....

Really? 

I doubt Motörhead did. Smile

I still don’t like the overly slick production. Specifically the drum sound and the rhythm guitar tone. It’s okay… we all have opinions here.

Last edited by TZ75 on Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:47 pm

80’s Slayer and Van Halen (especially the Roth years) didn’t sound like bands that used a metronome. 

They seemed to embrace the human errors and leave the small mistakes in the recordings. It’s a part of the charm. The music had more of a live or organic feel. 

Sometimes “loose and organic” is better than robotic perfection.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:45 pm

TZ75 wrote:80’s Slayer and Van Halen (especially the Roth years) didn’t sound like bands that used a metronome. 

They seemed to embrace the human errors and leave the small mistakes in the recordings. It’s a part of the charm. The music had more of a live or organic feel. 

Sometimes “loose and organic” is better than robotic perfection.

Now you're comparing apples to lamp posts, and blurring the lines. Motorhead is nothing like Megadeth, and Van Halen is even further removed. As to Slayer, I can pretty much guarantee they used a click for the bulk of their catalog. Playing to a click does not mean a performance is "robotic perfection," although it can. Swing and feel can be maintained even with a click. 

I'm curious to hear some of your recorded work.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:35 pm

Personally I love the way Countdown sounds. It's my favorite Megadeth album. 

The guitars had a "thicker" sound on CTE as opposed to earlier Megadeth albums, on which the guitars sounded kind of thin to me. 

Actually Megadeth didn't really start to bulk up/thicken their guitar sound until TSHF. 

Of course in the early days, Metallica always had that crunch going on while Megadeth was busier on the fretwork, but had a thinner guitar sound overall.

It's funny - over the years, Megadeth beefed up their tone while Metallica's guitar sound thinned out. They traded off LOL!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 pm

Luke Easter wrote:

I'm curious to hear some of your recorded work.

...and I'd like to hear some of YOUR recorded work. 

scratch 
Wait a minute...

I'll see myself out.

Rock on 1
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Luke Easter, Kerrick, CrimsonWarrior, Pethead, TZ75, Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next