The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

+17
Superjuice
crucifyd
TZ75
Second Wind
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
BaleMaster
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
Ammocas
seth
scottmitchell74
StevenCressler
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Pethead
21 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

TQT or Morty?

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 I_vote_lcap73%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 22 ]
First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 I_vote_lcap27%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 30

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:30 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:80’s Slayer and Van Halen (especially the Roth years) didn’t sound like bands that used a metronome. 

They seemed to embrace the human errors and leave the small mistakes in the recordings. It’s a part of the charm. The music had more of a live or organic feel. 

Sometimes “loose and organic” is better than robotic perfection.

Now you're comparing apples to lamp posts, and blurring the lines. Motorhead is nothing like Megadeth, and Van Halen is even further removed. As to Slayer, I can pretty much guarantee they used a click for the bulk of their catalog. Playing to a click does not mean a performance is "robotic perfection," although it can. Swing and feel can be maintained even with a click. 

I'm curious to hear some of your recorded work.

Oh boy…

Even if I’m incorrect and you are right, is it worth the attitude? Btw… Motörhead had influenced the whole genre of thrash. That’s what thrash is… a mix of punk and NWOBHM. Van Halen has influenced countless bands in metal (like Pantera). So I wouldn’t call it “apples and lampposts”. 

Also, I told you that besides the metronome thing (and I’m willing to stand corrected), I just don’t like Max Norman’s production on Countdown. I’m not saying it’s a bad album. I like most of the songs. It’s just my opinion. Everyone has opinions. 

The bulk of Slayer… who knows. Neither of us were in the studio to watch. I did say 80’s Slayer though. And Show No Mercy through Reign in Blood sound more “off the cuff” and spontaneous to me. If they did use a metronome, it didn’t make much of a difference. I like the little mistakes and human errors. 

As far as your “drop the mic” comment asking if I have any recorded work… 

Why would I need any? Am I not allowed to voice an opinion? That’s like when fans were telling musicians to keep their mouths shut about politics because they are not qualified to comment. What a boring world this would be if we all agreed about everything. No one is allowed to say anything sucks or isn’t their cup of tea (the nicer way of saying it). 

Bottomline: I don’t hate the Countdown album! It’s just not my favorite.

Last edited by TZ75 on Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:36 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:Personally I love the way Countdown sounds. It's my favorite Megadeth album. 

The guitars had a "thicker" sound on CTE as opposed to earlier Megadeth albums, on which the guitars sounded kind of thin to me. 

Actually Megadeth didn't really start to bulk up/thicken their guitar sound until TSHF. 

Of course in the early days, Metallica always had that crunch going on while Megadeth was busier on the fretwork, but had a thinner guitar sound overall.

It's funny - over the years, Megadeth beefed up their tone while Metallica's guitar sound thinned out. They traded off LOL!

Rust in Peace had that precise and very dialed in distortion. Very similar to Slayer’s on Seasons in the Abyss. That is the sound I like! It’s not the heaviest, but it has a bite to it that isn’t too thick and sounds more defined. 

Countdown was a deliberate attempt to go in a commercial direction. Just like everyone did after TBA. I think for me, I just don’t like Max Norman’s overall production. He was more suited for the first two Ozzy albums. He’s not a thrash guy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:41 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:80’s Slayer and Van Halen (especially the Roth years) didn’t sound like bands that used a metronome. 

They seemed to embrace the human errors and leave the small mistakes in the recordings. It’s a part of the charm. The music had more of a live or organic feel. 

Now you're comparing apples to lamp posts, and blurring the lines. Motorhead is nothing like Megadeth, and Van Halen is even further removed. As to Slayer, I can pretty much guarantee they used a click for the bulk of their catalog. Playing to a click does not mean a performance is "robotic perfection," although it can. Swing and feel can be maintained even with a click. 

A little awry are we? Gee whiz

Even if I’m incorrect and you are right, is it worth the attitude? Btw… Motörhead had influenced the whole genre of thrash. That’s what thrash is… a mix of punk and NWOBHM. Van Halen has influenced countless bands in metal (like Pantera). So I would call it “apples and lampposts”. 

Also, I told you that besides the metronome thing (and I’m willing to stand corrected), I just don’t like Max Norman’s production on Countdown. I’m not saying it’s a bad album. I like most of the songs. It’s just my opinion. Everyone has opinions. 

The bulk of Slayer… who knows. Neither of us were in the studio to watch. I did say 80’s Slayer though. And Show No Merch through Reign in Blood sound more “off the cuff” and spontaneous to me. If they did use a metronome, it didn’t make much of a difference. I like the little mistakes and human errors. 

As far as your “drop the mic” comment asking where my recorded work… 

Why would I need any? Am I not allowed to voice an opinion? That’s like when fans were telling musicians to keep their mouths shut about politics because they are not qualified to comment. What a boring world this would be if we all agreed about everything. No one is allowed to say anything sucks or isn’t their cup of tea (the nicer way of saying it). 

To be fair, a lot of celebrities would be much better off keeping their mouths shut about politics
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:49 pm

seth wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Luke Easter wrote:

A little awry are we? Gee whiz

Even if I’m incorrect and you are right, is it worth the attitude? Btw… Motörhead had influenced the whole genre of thrash. That’s what thrash is… a mix of punk and NWOBHM. Van Halen has influenced countless bands in metal (like Pantera). So I would call it “apples and lampposts”. 

The bulk of Slayer… who knows. Neither of us were in the studio to watch. I did say 80’s Slayer though. And Show No Merch through Reign in Blood sound more “off the cuff” and spontaneous to me. If they did use a metronome, it didn’t make much of a difference. I like the little mistakes and human errors. 

As far as your “drop the mic” comment asking where my recorded work… 

To be fair, a lot of celebrities would be much better off keeping their mouths shut about politics

I know… but I was just trying to make a point. Because he basically implied that I shouldn’t be talking because I don’t have records. 

Isn’t this a discussion board??
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:05 pm

“You’re lashing out at me”…

- Caixa de Raiva

Just Joking 
I couldn’t resist. 
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:00 pm

Hate when big ego tripping celebrities at awards make big political speeches and virtual signal and think they're somehow the mouthpieces for humanity and somehow figure they are still connected with the rest of the world... makes me sick.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:41 pm

A new rule for the board: 

You can only speak and make comments if you are a recording artist. Everyone else can lurk and watch. 

Obey you lowly peons!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Raegoul, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:44 pm

If I record a crappy vocal cover of Holy Wars, will I be permitted to speak again?
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:01 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:If I record a crappy vocal cover of Holy Wars, will I be permitted to speak again?

I’m not sure… the elite musicians will decide.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:04 pm

Funny enough, the guitar sound on “Go to Hell” from the Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey soundtrack has a nice crunchy tone! Too bad they didn’t keep that for Countdown.

It’s kind of like when Tourniquet had those two amazing songs on Collected Works but then put out C2C.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 pm

Lol, C2C slaps and you know it.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:36 pm

CrimsonWarrior wrote:Lol, C2C slaps and you know it.
some of it does, I like the album, but it's far below average for Tourniquet.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

TZ75 and scottmitchell74 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:59 pm

TZ75 wrote:

My hot take:
Countdown is Megadeth's most overrated album.
To me it's got nothing to do with them using a metronome or them feeling robotic. It's all about the songs and I just don't really care that much for a lot of them.

The only songs I really like are This Was My Life and the title track. Ashes in Your Mouth is one of the better ones too, but not as good as those two I mentioned.

I dislike the fan favorite Sweating Bullets a lot. Probably their most overrated song.
Songs like Architecture of Aggression, High Speed Dirt, Psychotron, Captive Honour and Foreclosure of a Dream are all average at best.

None of them would get any better with a raw "non-robotic" production.

Youthanasia is a way better album.
I even like Cryptic Writings more than Countdown.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:06 am

Approximately half of it is good. Smile
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:10 am

Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

My hot take:
Countdown is Megadeth's most overrated album.
To me it's got nothing to do with them using a metronome or them feeling robotic. It's all about the songs and I just don't really care that much for a lot of them.

The only songs I really like are This Was My Life and the title track. Ashes in Your Mouth is one of the better ones too, but not as good as those two I mentioned.

I dislike the fan favorite Sweating Bullets a lot. Probably their most overrated song.
Songs like Architecture of Aggression, High Speed Dirt, Psychotron, Captive Honour and Foreclosure of a Dream are all average at best.

None of them would get any better with a raw "non-robotic" production.

Youthanasia is a way better album.
I even like Cryptic Writings more than Countdown.

I agree. Youthanasia is better. It’s a tad heavier and the production isn’t as sterile. 

She-Wolf is the only song I like on Cryptic Writings.

It wasn’t until The System Has Failed or United Abominations that the Deth machine got back to it’s aggressive roots.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:09 am

C2C is dope you morons. I can show you my recorded work but they are some DIY teenage punk rock demos from 1995.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider and CrimsonWarrior like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:39 am

Cryptic is a great album, not thrash but it's solid metal.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:21 am

Oy. I have tried so many times over the years... it just does nothing for me.  First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 1f62a
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:26 pm

Raegoul wrote:C2C is dope you morons. I can show you my recorded work but they are some DIY teenage punk rock demos from 1995.

Bring it on! 

The CMR’s got talent! 

We don’t have Howie Mandel, but we got a former Tourniquet member on the panel.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:30 pm

Behold the power of PETHEAD METAL (when he was 20 and had hair):

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:35 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Oy. I have tried so many times over the years... it just does nothing for me.  First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 5 1f62a

I was in the same boat for a long time. But a portion of it grew on me (like a wart). 

Just Joking

I do actuality like about half. It’s kinda strange and an obvious product of the musical trends of the time, but it has a charm to it. White Knucklin’ the Rosary and Enveloped in Python actually rock pretty well. The Tell-Tale Heart is very cool and dark lyrically. I actually think the Easter/Guerra tunes are the majority of the good stuff.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:37 pm

I even like about 2/3 of C2C, although it’s my least favorite TQT by a large margin. It’s hard for me to enjoy every track of a 15-track album.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:45 pm

Pethead wrote:I even like about 2/3 of C2C, although it’s my least favorite TQT by a large margin. It’s hard for me to enjoy every track of a 15-track album.

It’s a good album to play in the background if you were chillin’ out or whatever. It’s not really a pulse racing metal classic that pumps you up.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:48 pm

If I was There is a nice softer song, I can’t say I care for the rest though
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:51 pm

Pethead wrote:Behold the power of PETHEAD METAL (when he was 20 and had hair):

Was that you or a band playing the music/noise? If so, what instrument were you on?

Gotta love the Star Wars theme. LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next