The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification?

+7
eatbugs
StevenCressler
TZ75
CrimsonWarrior
Dustofyears
seth
Pethead
11 posters

Go down

Later Morty vs. Later TQT

Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? I_vote_lcap21%Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]
Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? I_vote_lcap79%Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? I_vote_rcap 79% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 19

Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? Empty Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification?

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:52 pm

Most people hail the first 3 albums from both bands as their best, and for good reason. But I would say both bands have released winners after those. But which is the better catalog? 

Once again, it’s TQT for me. Morty has several good albums post-PMA (BW, PRM, EE, HoG, EtG), but they also have more duds. (The less said about Scribe of the Pentateuch, the better). I’m not big on some of C2C, but I love every other TQT album. Honestly, I think MVoaTR and WMaRD are nearly on par with the first three.

Your turn.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime, Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? Empty Re: Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification?

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:01 pm

Once again it’s not really fair for me to comment on Mort because they aren’t my style to begin with, but I can attest to the fact that later TQT is quite good. Losing Guy Ritter was a big hit, but they managed to make up for his loss with excellent songwriting from Microscopic View onwards. Even Gazing at Medusa was way better than it had any right to be, as it seemed the band was falling apart by that time
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification? Empty Re: Later Tourniquet or Later Mortification?

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:03 pm

I like G@M a lot. It did take a little while to grow on me, though.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:04 pm

It doesn’t have the variety of a lot of their other albums, but is quite good nonetheless
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:10 pm

Similar stories these two bands. Greatest works first 3 albums. A masterpiece each (POD & Scrolls) and then one man and his quirky project under the same banner but totally different band, keeping their dream and vision alive for better or for worse. And both in my opinion, never to return to former glories.

My choice is Mortification. Blood world and Primitive are good albums, and Evangeline is not the worst thing in the world. TQT I just can't dig anything from them after POD.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:06 pm

Tqt easily wins this for me. Later Mortification is just not good overall, imo. I haven't listened to AB, but I definitely at least like all of the later Tqt albums, and some of them I love.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:08 pm

For me it’s a tie, but I have to choose… so it goes to Tourniquet by default.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:01 pm

Can't really answer as I haven't finished Morty yet (still in Relentless), but even though I think later Mortification is underrated, it can't beat Tourniquet. MVoaTR is actually my #1 TQT album, and AB is my #3. and the rest are great too. My least favorite TQT album is C2C, which is still better than both ToM and TSCiS, which are both not bad. Then G@M and VL are about on-par with PRM and PMA (I know, this is often people favorite. I prefer the faster ones, but I still like this one a lot), and WMaRD is better, though not as good as the debut or Envision (and probably not Relentless). So while it could change depending on my opinions of the rest of Morty's catalogue, it probably won't
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:55 pm

Tourniquet.  I love the Luke era and Vanishing Lessons and WMARD are two of my favorite albums.

Everything Mortification after the first three suffers from production budget.  To me, most of them are great songs and everything from Bloodworld on sounds like quality demos of the greatest metal band ever.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:22 am

Tourniquet wins again. No contest.

I can appreciate Steve's vision for Mortification's sound, but the execution produced mixed results to say the least. 

I'll say this again - the drumming alone drags a lot of post-PRM albums down. Too simplistic/drum machine-y or just plain mixed badly. 

Also if Steve would have used his death growl (with a little reverb) on the majority of the later material - as opposed to a hardcore-ish grunt - the songs would have sounded better IMO.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:35 am

One of my favorite tunes:

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:32 am

TQT. Erasing is the only later Morty album that's consistently good, though I enjoy a lot of the songs on other albums, but TQT has killer later albums.

Last edited by Black Rider on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 am

If anyone thinks later TQT is too “quirky” or “awkward,” I suggest giving Where Moth and Rust Destroy a good listen (or relisten). It flows very well and Luke’s vocals on it are killer.

Last edited by Pethead on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Frozen Fire and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:50 am

I take any later TQT over any later Mortification.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:02 am

Black Rider wrote:TQT. Erasing is the only later Morty album that's consistently good, though I enjoy a lot of the songs on other albums, but TQT has killer later albums.

Co-sign.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:59 pm

Pethead wrote:One of my favorite tunes:

That’s a good one! 

This album is underrated. Steve was going for his traditional metal influences.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:03 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:Tourniquet wins again. No contest.

I can appreciate Steve's vision for Mortification's sound, but the execution produced mixed results to say the least. 

I'll say this again - the drumming alone drags a lot of post-PRM albums down. Too simplistic/drum machine-y or just plain mixed badly. 

Also if Steve would have used his death growl (with a little reverb) on the majority of the later material - as opposed to a hardcore-ish grunt - the songs would have sounded better IMO.

I partially agree with the drums and the lack of death growls, but I actually think the shouts and grunts work well. He should have always kept a couple death growl songs for his original fans and to keep a foot in the past.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down