The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

+17
Superjuice
crucifyd
TZ75
Second Wind
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
BaleMaster
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
Ammocas
seth
scottmitchell74
StevenCressler
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Pethead
21 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

TQT or Morty?

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 I_vote_lcap73%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 22 ]
First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 I_vote_lcap27%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 30

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by Pethead Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:52 pm

All the instruments and vocals are me. It was mostly improv.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 6 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:14 pm

Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Bottomline: I don’t hate the Countdown album! It’s just not my favorite.

My hot take:
Countdown is Megadeth's most overrated album.
To me it's got nothing to do with them using a metronome or them feeling robotic. It's all about the songs and I just don't really care that much for a lot of them.

The only songs I really like are This Was My Life and the title track. Ashes in Your Mouth is one of the better ones too, but not as good as those two I mentioned.

I dislike the fan favorite Sweating Bullets a lot. Probably their most overrated song.
Songs like Architecture of Aggression, High Speed Dirt, Psychotron, Captive Honour and Foreclosure of a Dream are all average at best.

None of them would get any better with a raw "non-robotic" production.

Youthanasia is a way better album.
I even like Cryptic Writings more than Countdown.

Speaking of robotic…

I just remembered the lyric from Symphony of Destruction where Mustaine says: acting like a robot!  Razz
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:22 pm

Pethead wrote:It’s hard for me to enjoy every track of a 15-track album.
This is what inspired my new music listening philosophy: artists make different songs for different people.  When I find I don't like a song even though its one of my favorite artists, I just figure "they did not write that song with someone like me in mind."  Then I just delete that song or not download it.  I just move on to songs that were created for a listener like me in mind or just appeals to me.  I really don't feel the need to listen to music that makes me go 'meh' just because it's on an album, or in a genre, I like.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:53 pm

TZ75 wrote:A new rule for the board: 

You can only speak and make comments if you are a recording artist. Everyone else can lurk and watch. 

Obey you lowly peons!

Dude. Thin skinned much? You made blanket statements about things you apparently know nothing about. Like the use of click tracks by rock bands for decades. I pushed back. You pivot to it just being about the overall production (which is valid) and take cheap shots. Wow.

You're entitled to your opinion, especially (in this instance) about production. I like the production on CTE. As much as I love RIP, i listen to CTE more because it's better sonically. That said, I understand that that's subjective, and I don't get bent out of shape if someone disagrees. 

My comment about recorded work was snark. If you want to be insulted and post ad nauseum to demonstrate how poorly you were treated, knock yourself out.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Superjuice, CrimsonWarrior, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:37 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:A new rule for the board: 

You can only speak and make comments if you are a recording artist. Everyone else can lurk and watch. 

Obey you lowly peons!

Dude. Thin skinned much? You made blanket statements about things you apparently know nothing about. Like the use of click tracks by rock bands for decades. I pushed back. You pivot to it just being about the overall production (which is valid) and take cheap shots. Wow.

You're entitled to your opinion, especially (in this instance) about production. I like the production on CTE. As much as I love RIP, i listen to CTE more because it's better sonically. That said, I understand that that's subjective, and I don't get bent out of shape if someone disagrees. 

My comment about recorded work was snark. If you want to be insulted and post ad nauseum to demonstrate how poorly you were treated, knock yourself out.

Not at all…

To the contrary, I have made very light of it (hence the jokes). 

I also said I am willing to stand corrected about the use of metronomes. But I still think that a decent percentage of bands from the past didn’t (or they at least didn’t sound tight enough to believe they did). 

Btw… I knew it was a snark or a cheeky jab. I got no problem doing the same in return. Smile

Also I think Dave Mustaine himself would tell you that Motörhead has a lot to do with Megadeth’s origins. Listen to The Mechanix.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:13 pm

That's it! 

Luke and TZ, go to your rooms!

Each of you is to make a list of at least 3 different things you like about each other.

Luke will then be required to show TZ how a click-track works. 

TZ will listen politely for a few seconds, and then bring up Motorhead again or something - once again driving Luke into a snark-filled rage!

2hammer
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, CrimsonWarrior, Pethead, TZ75, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm

I feel like I’m a part of some kind of  “pecking order”…

Ted had a problem with Luke, and now I’m apparently on Luke’s black list (or whatever you want to call it). 

lol!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:30 pm

Please don’t crank the knife… you can’t make me hate you!

I love Tourni-quotes.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:09 am

Man this makes me so wanna argue with Gipperman!!! That would be...sweet...

Luke is right though, 99'9% of metal bands use a click track...just the basic facts!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:31 am

You know… I should’ve never even mentioned the dang metronome, it was always about the production overall. I guess the robotic feel of the album made me blame it on the metronome. 

I think Rust was a happy compromise between a raw sound and a clean production. CTE sounds too slick and sterile to me.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:42 am

I didn’t mean to strike a nerve and make him bite his lip with a clenched fist over this!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:17 am

TZ75 wrote:
Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

My hot take:
To me it's got nothing to do with them using a metronome or them feeling robotic. It's all about the songs and I just don't really care that much for a lot of them.

The only songs I really like are This Was My Life and the title track. Ashes in Your Mouth is one of the better ones too, but not as good as those two I mentioned.

I dislike the fan favorite Sweating Bullets a lot. Probably their most overrated song.
Songs like Architecture of Aggression, High Speed Dirt, Psychotron, Captive Honour and Foreclosure of a Dream are all average at best.

She-Wolf is the only song I like on Cryptic Writings.

What, no love for The Disintegrators?  Shocked

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:28 pm

Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

My hot take:

She-Wolf is the only song I like on Cryptic Writings.

What, no love for The Disintegrators?  Shocked

I’m not sure… I haven’t heard that album in ages. I just remember liking She-Wolf. I’ll give it a listen on YouTube and see if my opinion has changed. 

On a side note, I remember getting a cool collectors trading card in the jewel case when I bought it new from Best Buy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:06 pm

Just listened to Cryptic Writings on YouTube…

There are a few rockers on it, but it still has that production I don’t care for. It’s sterile and you can tell Mustaine was still looking for another commercial hit like CTE. He almost completely slammed the breaks on Risk. Thankfully he got it out of his system when he recovered from his arm injury. Now everything he has done since has a nice balance of aggressive thrash and mid-pace rockers. Super Collider was a brief setback… but it’s back on again!

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:49 am

TZ75 wrote:Just heard Cryptic Writings on YouTube…

There are a few rockers on it, but it still has that production I don’t care for. It’s sterile and you can tell Mustaine was still looking for another commercial hit like CTE. He almost completely slammed the breaks on Risk. Thankfully he got it out of his system when he recovered from his arm injury. Now everything he has done since has a nice balance of aggressive thrash and mid-pace rockers. Super Collider was a brief setback… but it’s back on again!

With Megadeth there's the problem of Dave re-releasing the albums up to Risk as remixed and remastered versions in 2004.
For me most if not all of them are worse than the originals. On some records even the arrangements are a bit different and he also changed the drum sounds - not by making the actual original drum tracks better but actually replacing the drums with different samples.
And not only that but sometimes even the solos and the riffs were re-recorded. The 2004 version of Rust in Peace is terrible. Dave even re-sung Take No Prisoners! The drums feel completely lifeless because of completely different sounding drum samples used to replace the original drum track.

Not sure if later remasters were based on these 2004 remixes. But anyway, to really judge the sound of Megadeth albums you'd need to be sure to listen to the originals, or at the very least avoid the 2004 versions like the plague.

I also think the original version of Cryptic Writings is much better than the 2004 remaster/remix.
But yeah, even the original has a sound that some dislike. But just to avoid having to hear it even worse you need to be sure you aren't listening to the 2004 remix-remasters.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:00 am

Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Just heard Cryptic Writings on YouTube…

With Megadeth there's the problem of Dave re-releasing the albums up to Risk as remixed and remastered versions in 2004.
For me most if not all of them are worse than the originals. On some records even the arrangements are a bit different and he also changed the drum sounds - not by making the actual original drum tracks better but actually replacing the drums with different samples.
And not only that but sometimes even the solos and the riffs were re-recorded. The 2004 version of Rust in Peace is terrible. Dave even re-sung Take No Prisoners! The drums feel completely lifeless because of completely different sounding drum samples used to replace the original drum track.

Not sure if later remasters were based on these 2004 remixes. But anyway, to really judge the sound of Megadeth albums you'd need to be sure to listen to the originals, or at the very least avoid the 2004 versions like the plague.

I also think the original version of Cryptic Writings is much better than the 2004 remaster/remix.
But yeah, even the original has a sound that some dislike. But just to avoid having to hear it even worse you need to be sure you aren't listening to the 2004 remix-remasters.

Enough people complained about the remix of Peace Sells that he released a new plain remaster that used the original mix. I have both the 2004 remix and the later remaster. 

The remaster is better. But the remix does enhance the drums and bass guitar. 

I agree that the remix of Rust kinda sucks. He needs a normal remaster using the original mix. I had found a copy of the old 1990 version and the sound is super low for today’s standards. A remaster can boost the volume a bit (but I wouldn’t want it pushed to the limit to where it’s ridiculous).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:25 am

You guys brought up the exact same gripes I have with the remix albums. 

RIP was ruined. I think the warehouse that contained the master tapes for that album burned down or something. Supposedly that's why he re-recorded/altered so much of it. Still ruined it though. I've heard fan remasters of certain albums that sound pretty good, so I don't know why they couldn't have just used the CD source and brought the levels up. Would have been better than what we got.

The only one that sounds better is the KIMB remix/remaster from 2002. The Final Kill version from 2018 is also great.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:29 am

The Iced Earth remix/remasters from 2002 also changed too much. I only listen to the original mixes of those as well.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:07 am

I wholeheartedly agree with KIMB “The Final Kill”. That remix really made a difference!

I also think that Metallica should have made a deluxe version of …And Justice for All. One CD is the regular remaster, the second is a remix that has Jason Newsted’s bass turned up!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:01 pm

What Metallica fans really want is their classic albums re-rerecorded with Lars’ St. Anger snare.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm

Pethead wrote:What Metallica fans really want is their classic albums re-rerecorded with Lars’ St. Anger snare.

As bad as most of the material on St. Anger is, it could at least be made listenable. Giving it a decent remix with a better sampled snare - as well as adding some effects or "fixing" Hetfield's dry, strained vocals - would definitely improve it.

It would still be dead last in my Metallica album rankings, though.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:10 pm

It would almost have to be entirely redone. The vocals would have to be tightened and the production would have to be completely overhauled. 

And it would still be below par.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Pethead wrote:What Metallica fans really want is their classic albums re-rerecorded with Lars’ St. Anger snare.
I’m so sorry for inflicting this on you, but:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xui06jwWaAM
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Luke Easter, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:38 pm

I’ve actually seen that. I just didn’t want someone getting mad at me for posting a secular song in this part of the forum.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:32 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:

As bad as most of the material on St. Anger is, it could at least be made listenable. Giving it a decent remix with a better sampled snare - as well as adding some effects or "fixing" Hetfield's dry, strained vocals - would definitely improve it.

It would still be dead last in my Metallica album rankings, though.

St. Anger was the sound of a band that was burnt out and entering a midlife crisis.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next