The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

+17
Superjuice
crucifyd
TZ75
Second Wind
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
BaleMaster
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
Ammocas
seth
scottmitchell74
StevenCressler
CrimsonWarrior
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Pethead
21 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

TQT or Morty?

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 I_vote_lcap73%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 22 ]
First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 I_vote_lcap27%First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 30

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 pm

TZ75 wrote:Lately I’ve been listening to Mort’s EnVision and Hammer of God albums. I like the thrash and groove metal direction they went on those. Especially EnVision! He still had the growls mixed in and Lincoln Bowen knew how to play some tasty solos. Steve’s bass was crushing too. I like the DD Verni/Overkill style attack!
Envision is where I hopped off the Mort ride. NOah sat down and a coffee... no thanks Steve.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification - Page 2 Empty Re: First 3 Tourniquet or First 3 Mortification

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 pm

Gary Lenaire is my favorite Christian Metal guitarist, and Steve Rowe was my favorite bassist (I say “was” because he has retired and his illness robbed his former ability). Listen to his bass attack on “Live By the Sword”. Pure fire!

Last edited by TZ75 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Lately I’ve been listening to Mort’s EnVision and Hammer of God albums. I like the thrash and groove metal direction they went on those. Especially EnVision! He still had the growls mixed in and Lincoln Bowen knew how to play some tasty solos. Steve’s bass was crushing too. I like the DD Verni/Overkill style attack!
Envision is where I hoped off the Mort ride. NOah sat down and a coffee... no thanks Steve.

That’s just one song, and it’s Steve’s quirky humor. The overall album is solid to great. I really like it! The title track is my favorite mini rock-opera or “epic track”.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 pm

TZ75 wrote:Gary Lenaire is my favorite Christian Metal guitarist, and Steve Rowe was my favorite bassist (I say was because he has retired and his illness robbed his former ability).
TQT's melodic Lead work on the Golden albums are  amaze balls. Steve Had a great Bass tone and it was loud and clear from the get go!!! He's one of my fav Bassists too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:53 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Envision is where I hoped off the Mort ride. NOah sat down and a coffee... no thanks Steve.

That’s just one song, and it’s Steve’s quirky humor. The overall album is solid to great. I really like it! The title track is my favorite mini rock-opera or “epic track”.
I like Northern storm and some riffs and stuff here and there from that album. I saw them on that tour and met Steve. FUn times.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:57 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Gary Lenaire is my favorite Christian Metal guitarist, and Steve Rowe was my favorite bassist (I say was because he has retired and his illness robbed his former ability).
TQT's melodic Lead work on the Golden albums are  amaze balls. Steve Had a great Bass tone and it was loud and clear from the get go!!! He's one of my fav Bassists too.

I like how he evolved his sound to that DD Verni (Overkill) style and tone.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:00 am

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

I like Northern storm and some riffs and stuff here and there from that album. I saw them on that tour and met Steve. FUn times.

They also had finally found a proficient lead player with Lincoln Bowen. His melodic lead breaks were a plus.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:03 am

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

They also had finally found a proficient lead player with Lincoln Bowen. His lead breaks were a plus.
The tone and sound of Steve's Bass and playing is the one thing I like throughout their whole catalogue and morphe easily into just about any metal style. Underrated Bassist in my opinion.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:05 am

Lyrics aside, Noah Was a Knower was nice thrasher musically.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:09 am

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

They also had finally found a proficient lead player with Lincoln Bowen. His lead breaks were a plus.
The tone and sound of Steve's Bass and playing is the one thing I like throughout their whole catalogue and morphe easily into just about any metal style. Underrated Bassist in my opinion.

I agree!

Even back on the Scrolls album… listen to the way Steve’s bass locks in on Death Requiem.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:25 am

Raise the chalice, Satan's Doom, and probably just about any song from Mort's Catalogue, there it is, beautiful and in your face just as you please. I love Bass driven bands with the guitar adding color on top, rather than Bass buried in the mix and is there just to thicken it out, as so often is the case in metal. Not Steve!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:28 am

TZ75 wrote:I think Believer vs Tourniquet is a more fair comparison. Mort and TQT are very different in style.
I think Tourniquet would win that one too pretty easily. Both for making better music and for not abandoning their message
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:30 am

TZ75 wrote:Lyrics aside, Noah Was a Knower was nice thrasher musically.
Lol that sounds like the title of a kids’ vbs song. Which makes me imagine a VBS program that used death metal as their music
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32 am

seth wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Lyrics aside, Noah Was a Knower was nice thrasher musically.
Lol that sounds like the title of a kids’ vbs song. Which makes me imagine a VBS program that used death metal as their music
I'd pick Believer. I like all their albums. TQT I really like POD a lot and most of PS and parts of STB. But you are probably right.

And somehow I quoted the wrong message lolz
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:36 am

The only Believer song I really like is Trilogy of Knowledge part 3, the one with only the female singer. Their regular vocalist I never cared too much for. And they went in kind of a weird direction on their later stuff, musically as well as lyrically
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:46 am

TZ75 wrote:I think Believer vs Tourniquet is a more fair comparison. Mort and TQT are very different in style.
This would be an easy Tqt victory for me, though I have not spent much time with Believer's first or third. Sanity Obscure is overrated though, imo.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:02 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:
This would be an easy Tqt victory for me, though I have not spent much time with Believer's first or third. Sanity Obscure is overrated though, imo.

It’s more stylistically speaking… both bands started out thrash with progressive tendencies, and a appreciation of classical music. 

I remember back in the day Believer were very popular. They even gained respect in the secular circuit.

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:10 am; edited 3 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:05 am

CrimsonWarrior wrote:
I mainly know Sanity for Dies Irae
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:22 am

Very few thrash bands can really compete with Tourniquet. Even the secular bands everybody loves (like Megadeth and early Metallica) aren’t on the same level imo. I can only think of two other progressive/hybrid/“quirky” thrash bands that are on a similar level of quality, Adorned Graves and Biogenesis. And even these are significantly different stylistically than Tourniquet. It seems in general the best bands are kind of in a stylistic class of their own
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:11 am

TQT better
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:28 am

Oh dear...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:06 am

Dustofyears wrote:Oh dear...

Did you lose your keys again?
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:21 am

seth wrote:Very few thrash bands can really compete with Tourniquet. Even the secular bands everybody loves (like Megadeth and early Metallica) aren’t on the same level imo. I can only think of two other progressive/hybrid/“quirky” thrash bands that are on a similar level of quality, Adorned Graves and Biogenesis. And even these are significantly different stylistically than Tourniquet. It seems in general the best bands are kind of in a stylistic class of their own
I love Tourniquet but this is crazy talk. Guitar wise they aren't at deth or Metallica levels at their peak. I'd say even an Skolnick of Testament is better guitar wise.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:13 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Oh dear...

Did you lose your keys again?
Yea gone done left them round here sum place...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:24 am

Black Rider wrote:
seth wrote:Very few thrash bands can really compete with Tourniquet. Even the secular bands everybody loves (like Megadeth and early Metallica) aren’t on the same level imo. I can only think of two other progressive/hybrid/“quirky” thrash bands that are on a similar level of quality, Adorned Graves and Biogenesis. And even these are significantly different stylistically than Tourniquet. It seems in general the best bands are kind of in a stylistic class of their own
I love Tourniquet but this is crazy talk. Guitar wise they aren't at deth or Metallica levels at their peak. I'd say even an Skolnick of Testament is better guitar wise.

I agree! 

It may ruffle some feathers… but I think some people could be ranking Tourniquet higher than the gold standard genre originals like Megadeth and 80’s era Metallica because Tourniquet was a Christian band. The lyrical content is the main difference. If Metallica or Megadeth or Testament were Christian bands, I don’t think Tourniquet would be ranked as high. Don’t get me wrong! I love classic Tourniquet, but I’m not gonna say they’re better because of the lyrics. 

There’s no way any Tourniquet album tops Rust in Peace or Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Deliverance came close and even got some praise on Headbanger’s Ball… but they were another band derived from Metallica’s blueprint. 

I can’t think of any Christian metal guitarist that is better than Alex Skolnick or Marty Friedman. Most Christian metal bands are a copy of a secular band. Aside from the King Diamond comparison on STB, Tourniquet was the most original band. I still don’t think anything they did was better than Rust in Peace or Ride the Lightning.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next