The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-order now 'Mosaic', the new album from Theocracy

+28
Constantine
jusma
prophx
Frozen Fire
Andreas89
seth
P86ninja
ChosenNightwolf
mothy
KaramKaram
Fundy
BaleMaster
Christian metal Horde
alldatndensum
Superjuice
Tombie
Ammocas
eatbugs
Kerrick
Follower of Jesus
_wes
Black Rider
Friday13th
Pethead
Sevenoneself
bodachi
CrimsonWarrior
Lex Metalis
32 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Pre-order now 'Mosaic', the new album from Theocracy - Page 8 Empty Re: Pre-order now 'Mosaic', the new album from Theocracy

Post by seth Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Yeah using that as an argument for sprinkling sounds like a huge reach. I think, as Kerrick said, that metaphor was more or less “artistic license” on Matt’s part. Apparently he wrote the song when he was 19, before he ever started Theocracy, and didn’t record it until recently
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Pre-order now 'Mosaic', the new album from Theocracy - Page 8 Empty Re: Pre-order now 'Mosaic', the new album from Theocracy

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:39 pm

As a part of when I counsel people on baptism I use the Flood (which is used in 1 Peter 3:20-21), the Red Sea, and the Crossing through the Jordan. All signify deliverance by God's hand, according to God's promise into a new way of living, passing through water. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but I see them as great parallels.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:14 pm

This albums kicks!
I haven't given the 1st album much of a chance yet and I didn't care for ghost ship, but I loved MOS and ATWB. Mosaic is right there with those 2 IMO.
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://faustianslip.bandcamp.com

Kerrick, Friday13th, Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:21 pm

bgsully wrote:This albums kicks!
I haven't given the 1st album much of a chance yet and I didn't care for ghost ship, but I loved MOS and ATWB. Mosaic is right there with those 2 IMO.
I’d definitely give the first album a chance too, it’s my second favorite after MoS
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick, bgsully, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:23 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:My youngest son and I had an indepth listen of the last 2 songs yesterday on our way to hockey practice and back.

Lord, Liar or Messiah: we stand with my oldest son's review that this is one of our favourites of the album. It's pretty brilliant how uses biblical storytelling to develop this classic apologetics argument.

Red Sea: there's lots of cool parts, but there doesn't seem to be any musical cohesion. Musical themes are used once and never returned to. Because I'm not a fan of the song MoS, my conclusion would be that Theocracy should stick with songs under 10 minutes!

A question, especially for the theologically minded. Is the drowning of the Egyptians in the Red Sea ever used, biblically, as an illustration of baptism and/or washing of sins away? Without having looked deeper, my understanding was that it's only used as a symbol of judgement. I was a little surprised yesterday going through the lyrics that Matt used the whole second 1/2 of the song to illustrate this connection. Which I don't think is there. 

Having said all this, please don't think I dislike this album or Theocracy. They're in my top 10 bands of all time, secular or Christian, metal or not metal! This just happens to be a forum where people who love this genre dig a little deeper.

As CrimsonWarrior said, 1 Corinthians 10:1-2 expressly says that going through the red sea is akin to baptism. 

"For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that our fathers were all under the cloud and they all passed through the sea2and they all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea3and they all ate the same spiritual food, 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was [a]Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased; for their dead bodies were spread out in the wilderness.

6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they indeed craved them. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: “THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND TO DRINK, AND ROSE UP TO PLAY.” 8Nor are we to commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. [b]9Nor are we to put the Lord to the test, as some of them [c]did, and were killed by the snakes. 10Nor grumble, as some of them [d]did, and were killed by the destroyer. 11Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come12Therefore let the one who thinks he stands watch out that he does not fall. 13No temptation has overtaken you except something common to mankind; and God is faithful, [e]so He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."[/b]

- 1 Corinthians 10:1-13 (NASB)

So Paul sees a New Testament allegory in the Law of Moses, as he says can be done in Galatians 4:24. The point is that we can experience salvation from bondage, yet still fall away back to sin and be displeasing to God, not entering into the promised land. That's for Christians.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:26 pm

But as I said, 1 Cor 10 speaks of the Israelites passing through the sea and draws a baptism parallel. But the parallel is not with pharaoh’s army drowning.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:48 pm

Pethead wrote:But as I said, 1 Cor 10 speaks of the Israelites passing through the sea and draws a baptism parallel. But the parallel is not with pharaoh’s army drowning.

Paul is saying the red sea can be allegorized to showing us things about NT baptism. He is interpreting Exodus, not giving us new doctrine. So it doesn't need to have every detailed explained. We just need to read the narrative correctly and with its full meaning. The Egyptian army drowning is allegorical of sins being removed. For example, even the OT says elsewhere that our sins are cast into the sea. "He will again take pity on us; He will trample on our wrongdoings. Yes, You will cast all their sins Into the depths of the sea." - Micah 7:19 NASB.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:53 pm

That’s not exegesis; it’s illustrating beyond (not against) the text. I’m not saying it’s illegitimate application, but it’s not Paul’s point.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:58 pm

It’s also not as if we can take other uses of “sea” and make those connections. For example, God says in Job that he set the limits of the sea. That doesn’t mean that he set the limits of our sins—other texts provide that info.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:03 pm

Pethead wrote:That’s not exegesis; it’s illustrating beyond (not against) the text. I’m not saying it’s illegitimate application, but it’s not Paul’s point.

It is allegorical exegesis of the OT based on a thoroughly described truth in the NT, just like Paul does in Galatians 4:24 and tells us he is allegorizing. Beyond the literal sense of the text is how God intended it to be read, as Paul is telling you in 1 Corinthians: it occurred and was written for our sakes, to get a different sense than the mere literal interpretation.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:05 pm

Pethead wrote:It’s also not as if we can take other uses of “sea” and make those connections. For example, God says in Job that he set the limits of the sea. That doesn’t mean that he set the limits of our sins—other texts provide that info.

Well I don't know exactly what one would mean by there being "limits to our sins," but one would not take that from the OT allegory simply because it's not NT teaching. You are also misapplying the allegory: the sea is not the sin in this allegory. The egyptian army is the sin.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:05 pm

I prefer to let the inspired apostle give me his allegory and not go beyond it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:08 pm

My point is that you can’t just run to another text that uses a term or an image and assume it’s referring to the same thing. Just because another text refers to our seas being drowned in the sea doesn’t mean that we can do the same thing with Exodus anymore than we can use the reference to the limits of the sea in Job to teach the same thing as Romans 1: that God sets limits on sin unless he “gives us over.”
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Where does Paul say the Egyptian army is the sin? He doesn’t. That’s my point.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Pethead wrote:I prefer to let the inspired apostle give me his allegory and not go beyond it.

That's a faulty way of interpreting the OT. Paul is telling you how to read and interpret it, not giving you an exhaustive list of occurrences where only in these weird places is there some happenstance allegory that only Paul knows about. Christians have always used the allegorical method of interpretation since the beginning, not to replace the literal interpretation, but to give additional proof of NT truths from the OT. Read any early Christian writing: Epistle of Barnabas, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, etc. all interpret the OT this way.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:14 pm

I think we’re simply gonna have to disagree. I realize the NT allegorizes certain passages, but:

1. It tells us when it’s allegorizing (e.g. Gal 4)
2. I don’t really care that much for what the ECFs did with the text because I often find it lacking foundation. 
3. This method introduces unbridled subjectivity in interpretation. Where does it stop? You can read the ECFs to find plenty of, shall we say, fanciful interpretations. 
4. The NT never gives us a command to allegorize for our hermeneutics. The vast majority of NT used of the OT are not allegorical.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:15 pm

Again, I’m not saying that what you’re doing is illegitimate. I think it’s fine to make these illustrations and applications. But I also don’t think it’s exegesis at its purest level.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:15 pm

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with drawing metaphors from the Bible that aren’t explicitly stated in the Bible, as long as they convey valid Biblical principles. Comparing the red sea washing away the Egyptians to the blood of Christ washing away sin, or even to baptism symbolically washing away sin, may not be specifically in the Bible, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with making the comparison
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th, Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:18 pm

I don’t, either. I’m just saying it’s not a specifically biblical comparison. 

I also want to be clear that typology and allegory are not the same thing.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

CrimsonWarrior, Sevenoneself, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:24 pm

Pethead wrote:I think we’re simply gonna have to disagree. I realize the NT allegorizes certain passages, but:

1. It tells us when it’s allegorizing (e.g. Gal 4)
2. I don’t really care that much for what the ECFs did with the text because I often find it lacking foundation. 
3. This method introduces unbridled subjectivity in interpretation. Where does it stop? You can read the ECFs to find plenty of, shall we say, fanciful interpretations. 
4. The NT never gives us a command to allegorize for our hermeneutics. The vast majority of NT used of the OT are not allegorical.

1. That time Paul tells you he is allegorizing, yes. He also is plainly allegorizing elsewhere, like in the subject 1 Corinthians 10, yet doesn't say so explicitly. You have to presuppose the rule "only when it says it is allegorizing is it allegorizing," but I can likewise presuppose that Paul encourages us to find allegory in the OT that fits NT theology by example. Most Christians will admit this at some point. Nowhere do Scriptures say the Book of Esther say it is an allegory, but it is well acknowledged by most Christians that it is an allegory of Jesus saving the church from the schemes of the devil.

2. Well you could always change your mind and realize that they knew what they were talking about.

3. No it doesn't, that's a strawman. I already explained to you the parameters: if it's not in the NT, then it's an invalid allegory. The NT teaches our sins are washed away. Therefore a logically cohesive allegory in Exodus in which we can easily pin what subject is analogous to sin being washed away confirms it to be a valid allegory.

4. The NT never prohibits us from allegorizing nor commands us to only interpret by the OT's literal meaning. And whether or not the vast majority of NT citations of the OT are not allegorical has no bearing on whether we are permitted to find them
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:27 pm

Deleted for being irrelevant. Theocracy rules.

Last edited by Pethead on Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:28 pm

I think y’all are splitting hairs here
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:30 pm

Agreed. 

Friday13, sorry that I came across too harshly. I think what Red Sea (the song) is doing is more along the lines of typology and I don’t have a problem with it. We don’t agree on everything, but I think I see your point. God bless.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Friday13th, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 pm

Pethead wrote:Agreed. 

Friday13, sorry that I came across too harshly. I think what Red Sea (the song) is doing is more along the lines of typology and I don’t have a problem with it. We don’t agree on everything, but I think I see your point. God bless.

No problem. God bless.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:36 pm

Back on Theocracy, let’s hope the next album doesn’t take 7 years to materialize!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, Friday13th, CrimsonWarrior, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next