The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!)

+11
Bahana
Wigeon
Sevenoneself
Superjuice
Airola
prophx
Raegoul
Black Rider
Dustofyears
TZ75
jaydeecrawson
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!)

Post by Wigeon Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:42 pm

Soldier777 wrote:...
Another thing for VR fans - what goes through your minds then you listen to the old albums knowing that Roger is no longer a Christ follower and is trying to undo his past accomplishments for the Kingdom which we all know it's impossible? God can use anyone - Christian or not, a rock, an animal, etc to relay his message.

This is what goes through my mind - I got to see VR in Houston in 1992. As a 17 year old, seeing him perform and preach on stage in the most evil night club (or any place for that matter) I have ever stepped foot in really made an impact on me. We got to hang out and meet him after the show behind the club in a dark alley. I watched him witness to a bad looking dude in a Morbid Angel shirt, and end up praying with him and leading him to Christ. For a few years before that, his music, videos, and articles really impacted me and taught me that Christians can and should go into places that most wouldn't dare, and share the word of God.  I'm sure I'm only one of thousands that were influenced and impacted by Roger and his ministry. You can't take that away. After this show, I wore my "Burn, Satan, Burn" shirt I got at that show (hanging on my shoulder in the pic below) to school a couple of times until one of my football coaches told me I shouldn't wear it to school anymore, lol. But it helped start some cool conversations.  I was also inspired to play guitar by the video I bought at that show. I thought I was buying their "No Budget Video" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YahVDRJvrs), but inside the "No Budget" VHS tape case was Roger's instructional guitar video instead. I learned some basic VR riffs, and the rest is history.

Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!) - Page 3 Meroge10
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Friday13th, jaydeecrawson, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Roger Martinez Letter on YouTube (interesting!)

Post by jaydeecrawson Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:11 pm

Wigeon wrote:
Another thing for VR fans - what goes through your minds then you listen to the old albums knowing that Roger is no longer a Christ follower and is trying to undo his past accomplishments for the Kingdom which we all know it's impossible? God can use anyone - Christian or not, a rock, an animal, etc to relay his message.

This is what goes through my mind - I got to see VR in Houston in 1992. As a 17 year old, seeing him perform and preach on stage in the most evil night club (or any place for that matter) I have ever stepped foot in really made an impact on me. We got to hang out and meet him after the show behind the club in a dark alley. I watched him witness to a bad looking dude in a Morbid Angel shirt, and end up praying with him and leading him to Christ. For a few years before that, his music, videos, and articles really impacted me and taught me that Christians can and should go into places that most wouldn't dare, and share the word of God.  I'm sure I'm only one of thousands that were influenced and impacted by Roger and his ministry. You can't take that away. After this show, I wore my "Burn, Satan, Burn" shirt I got at that show (hanging on my shoulder in the pic below) to school a couple of times until one of my football coaches told me I shouldn't wear it to school anymore, lol. But it helped start some cool conversations.  I was also inspired to play guitar by the video I bought at that show. I thought I was buying their "No Budget Video" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YahVDRJvrs), but inside the "No Budget" VHS tape case was Roger's instructional guitar video instead. I learned some basic VR riffs, and the rest is history.

Amazing dude. So cool. thanks for posting this pic too.... VR and Roger also had a massive impact in my life too. Monumental influence.... It is such a shame Roger isn't in any expression or form of the Christian tradition now.... such a shame. but, I don't judge him.

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Wigeon and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 pm

jaydeecrawson wrote:
Wigeon wrote:

Amazing dude. So cool. thanks for posting this pic too.... VR and Roger also had a massive impact in my life too. Monumental influence.... It is such a shame Roger isn't in any expression or form of the Christian tradition now.... such a shame. but, I don't judge him.
Such a dope pic. Breaks my heart to read your account and see Roger smiling in his van, when I think how this turned sour.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Wigeon, jaydeecrawson and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:54 am

Soldier777 wrote:I had the Vengeance Human Sacrifice cassette back in 1990. I have Once Dead Roxx reissue on order. I have the 3 Die Happy albums and Roxx reissued the first 2. It's interesting how a member of Badlands and Vengeance Rising along with Robin Basauri joined their talents with Die Happy and eventually some went on to Red Sea and Reign of Glory.  

Some mentioned brainwash. Was Sanctuary known to brainwash people or use heretical teachings? I know Paul called out false teachers and named them. I'm the type of person where unless it's obvious, I reserve judgement unless I do the research and have the proof.

Hi Soldier. I think I was the only that mentioned "brainwashed." Everyone judges if or not they want to admit it, it's human instinct and also a way to protect one's self in different ways, and to pick and choose our tribe we are most comfortable with and protect those we love. But nothing wrong with reserving your judgement. I'm more on the- if it quacks like a duck... side of things.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:45 pm

Soldier777 wrote:I had the Vengeance Human Sacrifice cassette back in 1990. I have Once Dead Roxx reissue on order. I have the 3 Die Happy albums and Roxx reissued the first 2. It's interesting how a member of Badlands and Vengeance Rising along with Robin Basauri joined their talents with Die Happy and eventually some went on to Red Sea and Reign of Glory.  

Some mentioned brainwash. Was Sanctuary known to brainwash people or use heretical teachings? I know Paul called out false teachers and named them. I'm the type of person where unless it's obvious, I reserve judgement unless I do the research and have the proof.

Hello dear friend the only thing I've ever heard against Sanctuary is that Pastor Bob tends to rub those who don't believe in grace as he does the wrong way and also he doesn't believe in altar calls those are the two biggest gripes I've heard. Which I'm surprised because a lot of them are Calvinists I believe and usually that don't sit well with Arminians I've expected to see condemnation for years over haven't yet though. Although people that I've noticed on message boards tend reserved about talking about Pastor Bob and Sanctuary. I always thought he would be all over the place cause he seems to be a hero to A LOT of people but I've never read or heard much and that's fine by me. Have a wonderful night
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:46 pm

I don’t know why anyone would have a beef with Pastor Bob. Even if you don’t agree with his doctrinal beliefs, he’s super chill and laidback. He’s not confrontational or rude either. 

It’s funny how every denomination of Christianity accuses the other factions that they are heretical (of course some are) but it’s always the other guy… 
Some people are all worked up over non-essential things. If (John 3:16) isn’t enough for you, then you can see how your works based (filthy rags) ideology impresses God. The thief on the cross wasn’t a one time exception.

Religion sucks.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:04 pm

I'm sure Pastor Bob and I disagree on some things, and he's not Jesus. But he's about as lovable of a guy as you can hope to come across and I don't think I've ever seen anybody call him heretical (I'm sure it's happened, happens to literally everybody, but in terms of "smoke" that sometimes follows people around. . . his rep has been pretty good for a looooong time now, in my observation).

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:25 pm

Grindboy wrote:I'm sure Pastor Bob and I disagree on some things, and he's not Jesus. But he's about as lovable of a guy as you can hope to come across and I don't think I've ever seen anybody call him heretical (I'm sure it's happened, happens to literally everybody, but in terms of "smoke" that sometimes follows people around. . . his rep has been pretty good for a looooong time now, in my observation).

I was using “heretical” as an example. But there is some pretty intense slander going on between doctrinal factions. 

If Bob was putting on an act or something, he’s been in character for many decades. If I’ve ever seen a person displaying the fruits of the spirit, it’s Bob.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:30 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Grindboy wrote:I'm sure Pastor Bob and I disagree on some things, and he's not Jesus. But he's about as lovable of a guy as you can hope to come across and I don't think I've ever seen anybody call him heretical (I'm sure it's happened, happens to literally everybody, but in terms of "smoke" that sometimes follows people around. . . his rep has been pretty good for a looooong time now, in my observation).

I was using “heretical” as an example. But there is some pretty intense slander going on between doctrinal factions. 

If Bob was putting on an act or something, he’s been in character for many decades. If I’ve ever seen a person displaying the fruits of the spirit, it’s Bob.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, if it wasn't clear.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:53 pm

Grindboy wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Grindboy wrote:Smile I'm sure Pastor Bob and I disagree on some things, and he's not Jesus. But he's about as lovable of a guy as you can hope to come across and I don't think I've ever seen anybody call him heretical (I'm sure it's happened, happens to literally everybody, but in terms of "smoke" that sometimes follows people around. . . his rep has been pretty good for a looooong time now, in my observation).

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, if it wasn't clear.

I thought you were! No worries. Smile

I tend to clarify what I say sometimes (just in case).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Grindboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3