The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secular Metal Danger

+14
ThomasEversole
exo
MetalGospel
Believer12
Temple of Blood
MegaNorm64
Superjuice
d@v!d
Friday13th
sentient 6
Hardcore Christian
WildWorld
TheDoctor394
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Secular Metal Danger Empty Secular Metal Danger

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 am

I'm going to be controversial here.  Certain bands I believe Christians should NOT be listening to.  I know from a personal perspective listening to anti-religious, negative or sexually oriented lyrics WILL damage and allow the devil a foothold in your life.  Bands like SLAYER, HYPOCRISY, CANNIBAL CORPSE, MORBID ANGEL, DEICIDE etc are particularly dangerous bands that are completely against God and will affect your spiritual life.  Listening to bands with sexually oriented message is also bad for you and will affect your mind in the way you view women.  I'm not saying secular metal is all bad just be careful of what you feed your soul.  Jesus promises he will never leave us or forsake us, so how can I listen to such rubbish when He is with me?  Food for thought.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Secular Metal Danger Empty Re: Secular Metal Danger

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:48 pm

I would really appreciate a list of bands which would be acceptable for me to listen to. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:18 pm

1 4 All wrote:I would really appreciate a list of bands which would be acceptable for me to listen to. Thanks.

Just because there is no definitive list, doesn't mean we shouldn't..

"be careful of what you feed your soul".

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:46 pm

1 4 All wrote:I would really appreciate a list of bands which would be acceptable for me to listen to. Thanks.

That ultimately is between you and God, he has given us each a conscience.  I'm sorry if I caused offence, I was just naming bands that have had a negative input on me.

By the way have you checked out Delirious??  lol!
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Everyone is different, and everyone reacts differently to different things.  While the bands listed aren't up my alley personally (still undecided about Slayer), there are others I have/do listened/listen to that the OP would probably object to as well, and yet I can say without doubt that they have not affected me adversely in any spiritual, emotional or sexual ways. 
We are all at different stages in our walks in life, we all have our own perceptions and  experiences.  And I think we're all mature enough to be able to come to our own conclusions, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, as to how we should be living our lives, whether it be the music we listen to, the films we watch or anything else.
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:10 pm

TheDoctor394 wrote:Everyone is different, and everyone reacts differently to different things.  While the bands listed aren't up my alley personally (still undecided about Slayer), there are others I have/do listened/listen to that the OP would probably object to as well, and yet I can say without doubt that they have not affected me adversely in any spiritual, emotional or sexual ways. 
We are all at different stages in our walks in life, we all have our own perceptions and  experiences.  And I think we're all mature enough to be able to come to our own conclusions, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, as to how we should be living our lives, whether it be the music we listen to, the films we watch or anything else.

I'm not sure what bands you enjoy listening to but if you pay attention to lyrics, it MUST have an affect on you even if you don't realise it.  If our eyes are fixed on Jesus 24/7 how can I be comfortable listening to lyrics that are contradictory to what Jesus teaches.  It doesn't make sense to me.  It sounds like you are mature enough (many others aren't!!!). It's always good to revaluate the way we live our lives and be honest with God as we get older and also having more responsibilities as role models to younger people.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:36 pm

My only limit on bands are bands where the whole point of the band is anti-Christian  (when it comes to stuff like slayer, i pick and choose, stuff like Angel of Death or Silent Scream (an anti-abortion song btw) is fine, stuff like Raining Blood is not). Also, not all songs can be taken at face value, one has to understand what exactly the message of the song is, are they being sarcastic, are they criticizing, are they playing a character, etc. For example, the Guns N Roses album Appetite for Destruction has songs dealing with sex, alcoholism, and drugs, but if you listen closely, its hardly showing that in a positive light ("Im on the Night Train, ready to crash and burn, i never learn").

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:54 pm

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:
TheDoctor394 wrote:Everyone is different, and everyone reacts differently to different things.  While the bands listed aren't up my alley personally (still undecided about Slayer), there are others I have/do listened/listen to that the OP would probably object to as well, and yet I can say without doubt that they have not affected me adversely in any spiritual, emotional or sexual ways. 

I'm not sure what bands you enjoy listening to but if you pay attention to lyrics, it MUST have an affect on you even if you don't realise it.  If our eyes are fixed on Jesus 24/7 how can I be comfortable listening to lyrics that are contradictory to what Jesus teaches.  It doesn't make sense to me.  It sounds like you are mature enough (many others aren't!!!). It's always good to revaluate the way we live our lives and be honest with God as we get older and also having more responsibilities as role models to younger people.
Thumbs up
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 pm

WildWorld wrote:My only limit on bands are bands where the whole point of the band is anti-Christian  (when it comes to stuff like slayer, i pick and choose, stuff like Angel of Death or Silent Scream (an anti-abortion song btw) is fine, stuff like Raining Blood is not). Also, not all songs can be taken at face value, one has to understand what exactly the message of the song is, are they being sarcastic, are they criticizing, are they playing a character, etc. For example, the Guns N Roses album Appetite for Destruction has songs dealing with sex, alcoholism, and drugs, but if you listen closely, its hardly showing that in a positive light ("Im on the Night Train, ready to crash and burn, i never learn").

Used to be a big Slayer fan many years ago.  With album titles like 'Christ Illusion' and 'God Hates Us All' and many many songs that bash Christianity amongst other things I am really uncomfortable with this band anymore.  Musically if I'm honest I love them but along with the regular use of profanity and lyrics I can't stand I've had to draw a line in the sand and stop listening to them. Used to have 'Appetite For Destruction' as well but can't stand the profanity in that album.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 pm

WildWorld wrote:For example, the Guns N Roses album Appetite for Destruction has songs dealing with sex, alcoholism, and drugs, but if you listen closely, its hardly showing that in a positive light ("Im on the Night Train, ready to crash and burn, i never learn").

While that may be somewhat true, I still see it as a negative. Songs like that offer no solution to the problems and no light at all. In many ways its still glorifying the darkness.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Let me just say that God is a gracious God. Many of us come to Christ with a lot of baggage and a love for entertainment. God is patient with us as we grow in our faith and our holiness. Many of us start to see our call to holiness right away, and some maybe not as quickly. Being conformed to the Word of God is what will drive if we change our minds on what we entertain ourselves with....and how much.

Part of the problem is our love for always seeking entertainment. If music and moveis are a huge driving force with what we desire....we are gonna compromise.

......I think being able to think " christianly " and putting our priorites in the right place is where we start.

.....and God is patient and gracious when we don't.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 pm

One of the problems is we don't take the counsel of scripture to heart. The Holy Spirit is trying to teach us and tell us things, but at the same time so is the world.

Many here have read me harp on this numerous times....but it bears repeating.....

But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.

Most Christians would surely agree with Paul that we are not to partake of " works of darkness. " No problem, right ?.....thats clear. But when it comes to christians deciding whether to listen to songs that glorify darkness....that doesn't seem to be as clear for many.

So, taking to heart what Paul wrote here, maybe we should look and see if there is a relationship between the sinful and evil behavior, and those things being glorified in art. Or maybe its just songs by pagan, secular and generally ungodly people expressing their worldview and philosophies. Maybe it is someone telling us how crappy the world is...without telling us the solution to the problem ? If Christians are called to holiness, how do we deal with art that deals with this type of content ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:01 pm

There's a lot I could say on this topic, as it's something I have thought about, and prayed about, for many, many years.  For one, I would question what "contradictory to what Jesus teaches" means.  Is it that we should never focus on anything negative?  That means I'm a good boy for hardly ever watching the news, for you can't get more negative than that.  Then again, what about all the negative things in the Bible itself, like the violence, and also negative attitudes from the Biblical writers themselves, like what is found in Ecclesiastes? 

If it means straight out Christian-hating, what about if we have acquaintances who say such stuff?  I chat in a Religions room, where there are many atheists, some of who are particularly brutal and insulting.  Should I never try and share with them, because they say things contrary to what Jesus teaches? Should I immediately look away and hide?  Or are the words somehow worse when they're put to music?  The argument there could be that we cannot share with rock bands, but we can still pray for them, and maybe share with their fans, and it might help to have an understanding of what such bands think.
My point is there are a lot of grey areas with all this, a lot of individual factors involved, and I don't see how it's simply a matter of "I find this band too objectionable to me, so no-one else should listen to them either".  It's just not that clear cut.
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm

I always ask myself what it is I am partaking in and what will the fruits be. If I listen to a lot of Christian music, then it makes sense I will likely think of God and draw closer to him. That's why it's preferable. Though sometimes the topics of secular songs remind me of things God has done or other good things. Some secular songs that I put into question are ones that, like we've said, mention sinful acts or anti-God sentiments (usually the "be your own god" is more popular). Anything that could cause me to sin like an sexually explicit song is definitely out, but I might differ from sentient's view in that I'm fine with songs that correctly point out the bad even if they don't give the solution. Songs aren't equations, they're like images or scenes. I have fun sometimes pairing non-Christian songs that accurately present a problem and place a Christian song that adresses it immediately after in the playlist. I just don't see how you couldn't enjoy a song that has a theme against your belief in God. As a Christian, I can enjoy an article on science even when it pushes the atheistic evolution agenda. I don't throw the National Geographic like "I don't want to hear anything about the Grand Canyon if you're going to feed me all this atheist crap!" I enjoy those things inspite of their contradiction to God's word but obviously not because of it.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 pm

TheDoctor394 wrote:For one, I would question what "contradictory to what Jesus teaches" means.  Is it that we should never focus on anything negative?  That means I'm a good boy for hardly ever watching the news, for you can't get more negative than that.  Then again, what about all the negative things in the Bible itself, like the violence, and also negative attitudes from the Biblical writers themselves, like what is found in Ecclesiastes?

Guess what else the Bible talks about that a lot of people try to steer clear of.

Here's a clue...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:09 am

That ultimately is between you and God, he has given us each a conscience.  I'm sorry if I caused offence, I was just naming bands that have had a negative input on me.

No offence taken. I just have a different view these days after many years trying to work out what was acceptable or not to listen to. These days I realise it's not a very helpful debate.It's just music performed by sinful humans. I appreciate the musical gifts God has given them and pray that one day they find their peace in Jesus.I actually find it way more disturbing when I find out so called Christian bands are far from it.

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:16 am

sentient 6 wrote:One of the problems is we don't take the counsel of scripture to heart. The Holy Spirit is trying to teach us and tell us things, but at the same time so is the world.

Many here have read me harp on this numerous times....but it bears repeating.....

But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret.

Most Christians would surely agree with Paul that we are not to partake of " works of darkness. " No problem, right ?.....thats clear. But when it comes to christians deciding whether to listen to songs that glorify darkness....that doesn't seem to be as clear for many.

So, taking to heart what Paul wrote here, maybe we should look and see if there is a relationship between the sinful and evil behavior, and those things being glorified in art. Or maybe its just songs by pagan, secular and generally ungodly people expressing their worldview and philosophies. Maybe it is someone telling us how crappy the world is...without telling us the solution to the problem ? If Christians are called to holiness, how do we deal with art that deals with this type of content ?
Thank you for your posts, you have made some great points and I hope people including myself will find encouragement with what you've said and pointed out.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 am

G
1 4 All wrote:

No offence taken. I just have a different view these days after many years trying to work out what was acceptable or not to listen to. These days I realise it's not a very helpful debate.It's just music performed by sinful humans. I appreciate the musical gifts God has given them and pray that one day they find their peace in Jesus.I actually find it way more disturbing when I find out so called Christian bands are far from it.

Everyone is sinful, the difference with Christian artists or whatever profession is that we are saved my grace.  I have learned not to put Christian artists on pedestals but to encourage them with what they are doing.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 am

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:G
1 4 All wrote:

Everyone is sinful, the difference with Christian artists or whatever profession is that we are saved my grace.  I have learned not to put Christian artists on pedestals but to encourage them with what they are doing.

I agree that we should encourage other Christians, but I don't think we are to always encourage them with what they are doing.

Why do I say that?

Well...Just like you said...Everyone is sinful.

We should all be careful about becoming partakers of evil deeds....no matter where it comes from.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDoctor394 Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:57 am

Mortal wrote:
TheDoctor394 wrote:For one, I would question what "contradictory to what Jesus teaches" means.  Is it that we should never focus on anything negative?  That means I'm a good boy for hardly ever watching the news, for you can't get more negative than that.  Then again, what about all the negative things in the Bible itself, like the violence, and also negative attitudes from the Biblical writers themselves, like what is found in Ecclesiastes?

Guess what else the Bible talks about that a lot of people try to steer clear of.

Here's a clue...

Yes... the Bible does actually focus on a lot of evil.
TheDoctor394
TheDoctor394
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 pm

TheDoctor394 wrote:Yes... the Bible does actually focus on a lot of evil.

Not just evil...but the evil ONE. I think we all know who that is.

It tells us and warns us of how he operates. We can see, from Scripture, how he has operated in the past, and how he operates in the present...and we also see how he will operate in the future.

Scripture tells us his MO (method of operation).

But many folks don't want to hear and be warned what his MO is.

They think that doing that would be "giving too much credit to satan".

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 am

Mortal wrote:
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:G
1 4 All wrote:

I agree that we should encourage other Christians, but I don't think we are to always encourage them with what they are doing.

Why do I say that?

Well...Just like you said...Everyone is sinful.

We should all be careful about becoming partakers of evil deeds....no matter where it comes from.

What I meant was when I said encourage them is using their God given talent for His glory.
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 pm

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:I'm going to be controversial here.  Certain bands I believe Christians should NOT be listening to.  I know from a personal perspective listening to anti-religious, negative or sexually oriented lyrics WILL damage and allow the devil a foothold in your life.  Bands like SLAYER, HYPOCRISY, CANNIBAL CORPSE, MORBID ANGEL, DEICIDE etc are particularly dangerous bands that are completely against God and will affect your spiritual life.  Listening to bands with sexually oriented message is also bad for you and will affect your mind in the way you view women.  I'm not saying secular metal is all bad just be careful of what you feed your soul.  Jesus promises he will never leave us or forsake us, so how can I listen to such rubbish when He is with me?  Food for thought.
This should be a no brainer, but we dwell in an environment holding such a dearth of discernment where such statements must be proclaimed.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:32 pm

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:What I meant was when I said encourage them is using their God given talent for His glory.

That sounds great  Very Happy

But don't we at least need to know which "God's given talents" we are encouraging them to do?

I wouldn't want to just make a blanket type statement to someone saying, "I encourage you to use your God given talents for His glory."

They might not know what I'm talking about.

Back to top Go down

Secular Metal Danger Empty Secular Hot Dog Danger

Post by Superjuice Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:41 am

HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD wrote:I'm going to be controversial here.  Certain bands I believe Christians should NOT be listening to.  I know from a personal perspective listening to anti-religious, negative or sexually oriented lyrics WILL damage and allow the devil a foothold in your life.  Bands like SLAYER, HYPOCRISY, CANNIBAL CORPSE, MORBID ANGEL, DEICIDE etc are particularly dangerous bands that are completely against God and will affect your spiritual life.

Secular Hot Dog Danger:

I'm going to be controversial here.  Certain foods should not be eaten by Christians, because they are dangerous to your health and you are destroying your temple (which is holy) with them.  Foods like BACON, CORN SYRUP, LOBSTER, FRENCH FRIES, TWINKIES, Coca-Cola (aspartame), and HOT DOGS are particularly dangerous foods that are completely against God and His will for you to prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers.

Here's Christian nutritionist and bio-chemist Ted Broer explaining the dangers of hot dogs, which contain sodium nitrates:

Bottom line: children who eat 3 hot dogs per week have a 9x the risk of getting Leukemia than those who do not....
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next