The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal)

+41
scottmitchell74
Opeth3232
Aldi80s
Ammocas
BaleMaster
Second Wind
StevenCressler
strangerhoncho
Superjuice
seth
Pro-Zak
ThomasEversole
eatbugs
Soldier777
Dr3ams
Messenger
Fundy
bodachi
Kerrick
Beckster13
L8T
Airola
Temple of Blood
Constantine
deathisgain
MagnusPrime
Frozen Fire
oldschooldoom
alldatndensum
mothy
bgsully
Lex Metalis
Raegoul
crucifyd
WildWorld
Dustofyears
Samson
TZ75
Black Rider
Sevenoneself
Pethead
45 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal) - Page 9 Empty Re: Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal)

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:09 pm

StevenCressler wrote:This has turned into the best Christian metal covers thread lol

Btw, the funny thing about Stryper and Slayer being the bands Pethead always jokingly associates with Kerrick is that my mom once said that she thought Stryper was trying to be the Christian Slayer (obv she doesn't know much about Slayer's sound lol)

Look mom, Slayer has a song called “Jesus Saves”! They’re good guys in disguise! LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal) - Page 9 Empty Re: Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal)

Post by Temple of Blood Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:I don't care if True Strength's albums come packaged in a brown paper bag, they are a talented band and they are doing good work to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I mean, that’s all true, and I love and support True Strength. But any aspect of art isn’t irrelevant to the total artistic package, so it’s fair game for criticism.

I don't think it's an aspect of the art, just an aspect of the commerce.

When you make music you have near total control of all the notes, instruments, arrangements, etc.  That's the actual musical art.

As a guy who's made a few albums, you just don't have that much control over the art.  If it turns out well, great, but it's not because you're some sort of artistic mastermind.

I usually draw up a sketch, find an artist whose work looks good to me and who I can afford, and then send my suggestions to them.  Then I get back .... something that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  You can rarely do much about it.  That's nothing like making an actual album.

I hate that so much attention is placed on what artists look like, music videos, what the packaging of the music looks like, etc.  It's no coincidence that as these things became more accentuated that music got worse.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Staybrite, Pethead, Opeth3232, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:32 pm

TZ75 wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:This has turned into the best Christian metal covers thread lol

Btw, the funny thing about Stryper and Slayer being the bands Pethead always jokingly associates with Kerrick is that my mom once said that she thought Stryper was trying to be the Christian Slayer (obv she doesn't know much about Slayer's sound lol)

Look mom, Slayer has a song called “Jesus Saves”! They’re good guys in disguise! LOL
At least Tom is. Not sure if I can say the same about Kerry.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:I don't care if True Strength's albums come packaged in a brown paper bag, they are a talented band and they are doing good work to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I mean, that’s all true, and I love and support True Strength. But any aspect of art isn’t irrelevant to the total artistic package, so it’s fair game for criticism.

When you make music you have near total control of all the notes, instruments, arrangements, etc.  That's the actual musical art.

As a guy who's made a few albums, you just don't have that much control over the art.  If it turns out well, great, but it's not because you're some sort of artistic mastermind.

I usually draw up a sketch, find an artist whose work looks good to me and who I can afford, and then send my suggestions to them.  Then I get back .... something that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  You can rarely do much about it.  That's nothing like making an actual album.

I hate that so much attention is placed on what artists look like, music videos, what the packaging of the music looks like, etc.  It's no coincidence that as these things became more accentuated that music got worse.
I’m not saying they have control over it. I’m just saying it’s bad art. And it is art, not just commerce.

Maybe my perspective is different because my wife is a graphic designer and so I pay attention to artwork and layout and those things.

I don’t think we should conflate album art with how the artist looks. Those are different things.

Nor do I think the artwork is AS important as the music or lyrics. Some of my favorite artists have terrible album art. But it’s not meaningless, either. I wouldn’t wear a shirt with that True Strength cover on it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:17 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

I know we can’t truly know someone’s mind, but I find it hard to believe someone who is truly saved would be ok with singing blasphemies on a regular basis. Just because someone is a member of a church doesn’t mean that person is saved.
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead, TZ75, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:19 pm

Agreed, seth.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:52 pm

seth wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

I know we can’t truly know someone’s mind, but I find it hard to believe someone who is truly saved would be ok with singing blasphemies on a regular basis. Just because someone is a member of a church doesn’t mean that person is saved.
I wasn't saying I'm sure he's truly saved, but from what I know about him he does at least seem like a "good guy" in some senses. Even in secular metal scenes he seems to be considered one of the nicest guys in metal.

Last edited by StevenCressler on Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:55 pm

Really makes me wonder what would have happened to their lyrics if Ted Kirkpatrick had gotten the part of Slayer's drummer.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Pethead wrote:

I’m not saying they have control over it. I’m just saying it’s bad art. And it is art, not just commerce.

Maybe my perspective is different because my wife is a graphic designer and so I pay attention to artwork and layout and those things.

I don’t think we should conflate album art with how the artist looks. Those are different things.

Nor do I think the artwork is AS important as the music or lyrics. Some of my favorite artists have terrible album art. But it’s not meaningless, either. I wouldn’t wear a shirt with that True Strength cover on it.

If you did wear a shirt with that artwork, you could tell people your name is Jeffy and you like to eat apples. Razz

Worst Cover Art (Christian Metal) - Page 9 Img_4017
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:04 pm

StevenCressler wrote:Really makes me wonder what would have happened to their lyrics if Ted Kirkpatrick had gotten the part of Slayer's drummer.

It would’ve definitely been interesting to see how that situation would have panned out. 

I think he would’ve lasted one album (because of lyrical issues) but he’d at least have a much bigger name in the metal world. And that would have boosted interest in Tourniquet (or whatever band Ted would end up in).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:12 pm

If Ted got the gig in Slayer, it’s possible he would’ve got along well with Tom and influence his lyrics. But Kerry and Jeff were set in their ways. They would have not let a hired gun drummer change their theatrical devil crap.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:26 pm

TZ75 wrote:If Ted got the gig in Slayer, it’s possible he would’ve got along well with Tom and influence his lyrics. But Kerry and Jeff were set in their ways. They would have not let a hired gun drummer change their theatrical devil crap.

I didn't know Ted, but based on the fact that he couldn't even get along with his Christian bandmates because he was too strict and controlling (according to podcast interviews with them in recent years)...I doubt he would have gotten along with the Slayer guys any better.  Would have been too many control freaks in the kitchen.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 pm

Ted (RIP) Meet Kerry...his ego is much bigger than yours and he really thinks he is a King. Not to mention Slayer could take their pick of drummers.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:14 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:
TZ75 wrote:If Ted got the gig in Slayer, it’s possible he would’ve got along well with Tom and influence his lyrics. But Kerry and Jeff were set in their ways. They would have not let a hired gun drummer change their theatrical devil crap.

I didn't know Ted, but based on the fact that he couldn't even get along with his Christian bandmates because he was too strict and controlling (according to podcast interviews with them in recent years)...I doubt he would have gotten along with the Slayer guys any better.  Would have been too many control freaks in the kitchen.

I only said Tom. He’s an easy going guy. 

I said Kerry and Jeff were set in their ways. 

But keep in mind that Ted was fully aware he would’ve been a hired gun and have almost no creative input.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:01 am

StevenCressler wrote:Really makes me wonder what would have happened to their lyrics if Ted Kirkpatrick had gotten the part of Slayer's drummer.

The same thing that happened when Bostaph and Dette joined as their new drummers, not a single thing.  The drummers never had a single lyric-writing credit.

I don't see how it would've been a good idea for Ted to join this band, in any way.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Opeth3232, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 am

I don’t know how a Christian could be comfortable playing in Slayer. Some songs would be fine. I wouldn’t have a problem covering something like “War Ensemble” if I were in a thrash band. But I don’t know how a believer would be ok playing some of their other stuff.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74, seth, StevenCressler and Aldi80s like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 am

Slayer sucks.  I really don't understand the appeal of professing Christ-followers cheering on such open blasphemy.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:16 am

BaleMaster wrote:Slayer sucks.  I really don't understand the appeal of professing Christ-followers cheering on such open blasphemy.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you mean by "cheering-on"?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:32 am

I wouldn’t say listening to something necessarily means cheering on the lyrical ideas any more than watching a horror movie means cheering on all the problematic behavior and ideas on screen.

And I say that as someone who isn’t comfortable listening to the bulk of Slayer’s material.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:56 pm

I think it's a difficult thing to quantify.

If you like/teach Romeo and Juliet, are you cheering on sword-fighting and suicide?  Just one example off the top of my head.

I think if Christians are going to enter the metal band arena, they need to have some sense of what the competition is doing well so they can compete.  Of course, this should not be to the extent that causes them to be influenced by it and fall into sin.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Ammocas and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:15 pm

BaleMaster wrote:Slayer sucks.  I really don't understand the appeal of professing Christ-followers cheering on such open blasphemy.
Same here. Thanks for saying that. I don’t think they suck, I just think the lyrics destroy any credibility of the music for me. I understand the appeal of the music, but once I hear the lyrics, I want no part of what the band is about and can find other music that is more appealing to where I’m at.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I think if Christians are going to enter the metal band arena, they need to have some sense of what the competition is doing well so they can compete.  Of course, this should not be to the extent that causes them to be influenced by it and fall into sin.
Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head.
Furthermore, I think if something is going to influence you and cause you to stumble and sin, then really the only solution would be to stay away from that particular thing. It’s a tough call, but a person knows inside what causes them to sin. So, avoid such things.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:34 pm

100%. No music or anything else is worth making you violate your conscience or leading you into sin.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, Ammocas and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:45 pm

Ammocas wrote:
Same here. Thanks for saying that. I don’t think they suck, I just think the lyrics destroy any credibility of the music for me. I understand the appeal of the music, but once I hear the lyrics, I want no part of what the band is about and can find other music that is more appealing to where I’m at.

Their lyrics are very, very stupid.  I generally find Metallica's lyrics to be dumb too though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:51 pm

You don’t find DYING TIME IS HERE!!!! to be incredibly insightful???
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next