The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temple of Blood - Overlord (REMASTERED and greatly improved!) thrash/power/speed metal

+15
BaleMaster
Constantine
jeffcorpse
Ammocas
My Awesome Timothy
Louder
average joe
mr.electric40
Opeth3232
cailen
Frozen Fire
strangerhoncho
mothy
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
19 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Temple of Blood - Overlord (REMASTERED and greatly improved!)  thrash/power/speed metal - Page 5 Empty Re: Temple of Blood - Overlord (REMASTERED and greatly improved!) thrash/power/speed metal

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:49 am

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
crucifyd wrote:ToB, would you ever release the instrumental version?

Why?

Do people buy these?

I know Tourniquet sell them, and Dream Theater do, but I don't know how popular they are.

On the original released version, the vocals were a bit low in the mix anyway.
I bought the Tourniquet one, but I never listen to it. I don't really go for instrumental albums.

Me either, unless it is someone utterly brilliant, the top 1% of 1% of composers, like Eric Johnson.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Temple of Blood - Overlord (REMASTERED and greatly improved!)  thrash/power/speed metal - Page 5 Empty Re: Temple of Blood - Overlord (REMASTERED and greatly improved!) thrash/power/speed metal

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Why?

Do people buy these?

I know Tourniquet sell them, and Dream Theater do, but I don't know how popular they are.

On the original released version, the vocals were a bit low in the mix anyway.
I bought the Tourniquet one, but I never listen to it. I don't really go for instrumental albums.

Me either, unless it is someone utterly brilliant, the top 1% of 1% of composers, like Eric Johnson.
One of my favourite Christian folk artists released an instrumental CD of "the best" of all the instrumentals from various albums, and I never listen to it. 

My wife just calls it elevator music, even when I'm listening to Petrucci or Satriani!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:49 pm

Some Satriani instrumentals I love on their own, like most of the Surfing album.

Probably about 60+% of his stuff puts me to sleep though.  Same drum beats, bass lines, and he is repetitive with his guitar patterns too.

Petrucci is really dull to me since he stopped working with Kevin Moore.  But "Raw Dog" is an amazing instrumental!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:51 pm

crucifyd wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Do people buy these?

I don't know if people do, but I do...   ; )

Me too!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:07 pm

I would love an official EP or album of Metallica instrumentals. Orion, The Call of Ktulu, To Live Is to Die (despite the small lyrical passage) and Suicide and Redemption. 

All of their instrumentals are interesting and tell a story without words. Of coarse anyone could just burn those onto a blank CD, but if it was an official release from the band it could contain liner notes with commentary about the songs. Like Jeff Waters did on some of his Annihilator albums.

Also worth noting… 

On Sepultura’s two disc reissue of Arise, there is a handful of instrumental rough mixes of songs. I really enjoy listening to those.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:01 am

Jeff Loomis (ex-Nevermore guitarist) has a couple instrumental albums out. They sound like Nevermore (obviously…) but with a lot of Jason Becker influenced shredding. 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:48 am

TZ75 wrote:Jeff Loomis (ex-Nevermore guitarist) has a couple instrumental albums out. They sound like Nevermore (obviously…) but with a lot of Jason Becker influenced shredding. 
His fingers started blurring in the video a few times during the fast parts on my computer. Unreal!!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:45 am

TZ75 wrote:Jeff Loomis (ex-Nevermore guitarist) has a couple instrumental albums out. They sound like Nevermore (obviously…) but with a lot of Jason Becker influenced shredding. 

The only Nevermore I like is old Nevermore (the first few albums), and frankly some of the best stuff they ever done was written by Tim Calvert.

Do you enjoy listening to these Loomis instrumental albums?  Do they keep your attention and make you excited to hear more?

I'm not a Jason Becker fan and never have been.  I don't like Cacophony either, or most of the Shrapnel releases.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:53 am

TZ75 wrote:I would love an official EP or album of Metallica instrumentals. Orion, The Call of Ktulu, To Live Is to Die (despite the small lyrical passage) and Suicide and Redemption. 

All of their instrumentals are interesting and tell a story without words. Of coarse anyone could just burn those onto a blank CD, but if it was an official release from the band it could contain liner notes with commentary about the songs. Like Jeff Waters did on some of his Annihilator albums.

Also worth noting… 

On Sepultura’s two disc reissue of Arise, there is a handful of instrumental rough mixes of songs. I really enjoy listening to those.

Sure, instrumentals hypothetically can be great.

What you're saying you like is a "Greatest Hits" of all Metallica's instrumentals.  I appreciate that you wisely omitted Anesthesia which is obviously a goof and an after-thought.

It's one thing to write an album worth of music, and put vocals on the ones that seem like they need vocals, and omit them on the ones that don't need them or where it would detract.  That involves making a creative choice based on how the material is sounding.

It's another thing to make a blanket decision up-front for a whole album that there will be no vocals and always expect the music alone to carry the song.

Those instrumentals work best in the context of their respective albums, towards the end, providing wonderful peaks and valleys in a complete musical landscape.  That is one of the things Metallica used to do so well.  Create not only good songs but ALBUMS that could retain your interest and sufficient musical changes to that end.

Besides, few metal artists write/arrange music as well as old Metallica did.  That's why they were Metallica and can now skate by for decades on past glories.  Lesser artists probably need more to make their music interesting.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
His fingers started blurring in the video a few times during the fast parts on my computer. Unreal!!!

The dude is very fast, but smooth!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:33 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I would love an official EP or album of Metallica instrumentals. Orion, The Call of Ktulu, To Live Is to Die (despite the small lyrical passage) and Suicide and Redemption. 

Also worth noting… 

What you're saying you like is a "Greatest Hits" of all Metallica's instrumentals.  I appreciate that you wisely omitted Anesthesia which is obviously a goof and an after-thought.

It's one thing to write an album worth of music, and put vocals on the ones that seem like they need vocals, and omit them on the ones that don't need them or where it would detract.  That involves making a creative choice based on home the material is sounding.

It's another think to make a blanket decision up-front for a whole album that there will be no vocals and always expect the music alone to carry the song.

Those instrumentals work best in the context of their respective albums, towards the end, providing wonderful peaks and valleys in a complete musical landscape.  That is one of the things Metallica used to do so well.  Create not only good songs but ALBUMS that could retain your interest and sufficient musical changes to that end.

Besides, few metal artists write/arrange music as well as old Metallica did.  That's why they were Metallica and can now skate by for decades on past glories.  Lesser artists probably need more to make their music interesting.

I like the Anesthesia track (I’m a Cliff Burton fan), but it’s basically just a bass solo (jam session).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:37 am

TZ75 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Also worth noting… 

It's one thing to write an album worth of music, and put vocals on the ones that seem like they need vocals, and omit them on the ones that don't need them or where it would detract.  That involves making a creative choice based on home the material is sounding.

It's another think to make a blanket decision up-front for a whole album that there will be no vocals and always expect the music alone to carry the song.

I like the Anesthesia track (I’m a Cliff Burton fan), but it’s basically just a bass solo (jam session).

It's a few basic guitar licks that just happen to be played on a bass guitar this time.  It's not composed to the degree that Orion is.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 am

My favorite is probably Orion, by a hair over The Call of Ktulu, but both are great. I also like Tourniquet’s Whitewashed Tomb, Viento Borrascoso, and Immunity Vector a lot.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:50 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

The only Nevermore I like is old Nevermore (the first few albums), and frankly some of the best stuff they ever done was written by Tim Calvert.

Do you enjoy listening to these Loomis instrumental albums?  Do they keep your attention and make you excited to hear more?

I'm not a Jason Becker fan and never have been.  I don't like Cacophony either, or most of the Shrapnel releases.

Yes I like the Loomis solo albums (I bought both). And I agree that the early Nevermore was the best. Mainly: The Politics of Ecstasy and Dreaming Neon Black. And I like Tim Calvert too! But he didn’t write nearly as much as Jeff. He was a co-writer at best on DNB. Jeff has always been the main songwriter in Nevermore. 
Are you sure you’re not giving Tim too much credit because you love Forbidden? 

As far as not liking Jason Becker… of coarse you are entitled to your opinion. The fact you don’t like Shrapnel artists tells me you’re not a big shred guy. Some people only like their music in a neat formulaic structure. I’m also aware that guitar instrumentals are considered a very niche sub-genre.

Last edited by TZ75 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Also worth noting… 

It's a few basic guitar licks that just happen to be played on a bass guitar this time.  It's not composed to the degree that Orion is.

I agree that it’s nowhere near Orion’s level of greatness… but Cliff’s playing is more than a few basic licks. He had his signature wah and distortion sound and he played bass like a tasty Iommi solo.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:57 am

TZ75 wrote:
I agree that it’s nowhere near Orion’s level of greatness… but Cliff’s playing is more than a few basic licks. He had his signature wah and distortion sound and he played bass like a tasty Iommi solo.

Iommi's solos are way better than that.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:03 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Yes I like the Loomis solo albums (I bought both). And I agree that the early Nevermore was the best. Mainly: The Politics of Ecstasy and Dreaming Neon Black. And I like Tim Calvert too! But he didn’t write nearly as much as Jeff. He was a co-writer at best on DNB. Jeff has always been the main songwriter in Nevermore. 
Are you sure your not giving Tim too much credit because you love Forbidden? 

As far as not liking Jason Becker… of coarse you are entitled to your opinion. The fact you don’t like Shrapnel artists tells me you’re not a big shred guy. Some people only like their music in a neat formulaic structure. I’m also aware that guitar instrumentals are considered a very niche sub-genre.

Nah, you can tell what Tim wrote because he wrote in the same basic style on "Distortion" and to a lesser degree on "Twisted into Form".  I also like Loomis's writing on the early Nevermore albums but feel he lost the plot a long time ago.

I do love shred, but I am selective about it.  Racer X (especially the debut) is one of my favorite bands of all-time.  The early Yngwie stuff is some of the best music ever IMHO.  I love some of Vinnie Moore's stuff.  Even Mike Varney says those bands were not writing very well and the later shredders didn't move him like Yngwie and Gilbert did with their phrasing/songwriting.

I like all kinds of music not just "neat formulaic structures".  BTW shred guitar can be pretty formulaic too.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Iommi's solos are way better than that.

Not all of them (and I love Tony’s solos). But you should get the gist of what I mean… playing bass like Cliff did back in 1983 was not common. James Hetfield even said he wasn’t sure at first if Cliff was playing a bass or a regular guitar. That says a lot!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Are you sure your not giving Tim too much credit because you love Forbidden? 

Nah, you can tell what Tim wrote because he wrote in the same basic style on "Distortion" and to a lesser degree on "Twisted into Form".  I also like Loomis's writing on the early Nevermore albums but feel he lost the plot a long time ago.

I do love shred, but I am selective about it.  Racer X (especially the debut) is one of my favorite bands of all-time.  The early Yngwie stuff is some of the best music ever IMHO.  I love some of Vinnie Moore's stuff.  Even Mike Varney says those bands were not writing very well and the later shredders didn't move him like Yngwie and Gilbert did with their phrasing/songwriting.

I like all kinds of music not just "neat formulaic structures".  BTW shred guitar can be pretty formulaic too.

Well it’s a fact that Jeff was always the main songwriter in Nevermore. That’s why he is on every album. He and Warrell were a team like Hetfield/Ulrich. 

I also love Racer X!
Paul Gilbert was the man!
Except I prefer Second Heat over Street Lethal.

Now this is what I call a great instrumental shred track!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Or you can have it in space suits!! I've always loved this one. Start watching video at 0:57
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Or you can have it in space suits!! I've always loved this one. Start watching video at 0:57

They look like Galactic Cowboys. 🤣
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:43 am

TZ75 wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:Or you can have it in space suits!! I've always loved this one. Start watching video at 0:57

They look like Galactic Cowboys. 🤣

Oops… it’s just Paul! Haha
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:17 am

If you like shred with great songs and unique vocals, you should try the first Onward album - "Evermoving".  A unique power metal band with a Shrapnel shredder on guitar - Toby Knapp.  It's a modern-day classic in my book.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:19 am

I've been recording vocals and I think it's coming along well.  Layering some backing vocals now.

I'm trying for a grittier, more aggressive approach on songs where I think it is fitting.  Not like Anselmo or Corpsegrinder or anything though.

Also decided to add a couple more guitar solos and I'm having a blast writing those.

Writing music is the most fulfilling thing to me.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:29 am

Temple of Blood wrote:I've been recording vocals and I think it's coming along well.  Layering some backing vocals now.

I'm trying for a grittier, more aggressive approach on songs where I think it is fitting.  Not like Anselmo or Corpsegrinder or anything though.

Also decided to add a couple more guitar solos and I'm having a blast writing those.

Writing music is the most fulfilling thing to me.
Sounds awesome! Just don’t lose the melodic approach, because there are too few Christian thrash bands with melodic vocals.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next