The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secular hot takes

+13
TZ75
Kerrick
Temple of Blood
MagnusPrime
Superjuice
Airola
WildWorld
Dustofyears
Black Rider
seth
StevenCressler
Constantine
Pethead
17 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Secular hot takes  Empty Secular hot takes

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:58 pm

Might as well make a separate thread. 

I’ll start:

While they’ve had some good tunes since then (e.g. Scorched was a good album), Overkill took a nose dive after Horrorscope and have never really recovered.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Secular hot takes  Empty Re: Secular hot takes

Post by Constantine Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:22 pm

Some bands just seem to make the same album over and over, like (later) Overkill or AC/DC.  I don't get it...is it just to throw new product out there?  Aren't they concerned about diluting their brand?

What I find even stranger is that their fans will say "this is their best album yet!" while I'm rolling my eyes and thinking "this sounds exactly like their last album."  It's like the Emperor's New Clothes in the music realm.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:31 pm

Toxicity by SOAD is the best nu-metal album I know and is better most thrash out there
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:38 pm

Agree that SOAD is pretty much the gold standard of nu-metal. Their quirkiness on some songs (like BYOB) reminds me of Tourniquet in a way, despite the difference in style
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:46 pm

seth wrote:Agree that SOAD is pretty much the gold standard of nu-metal. Their quirkiness on some songs (like BYOB) reminds me of Tourniquet in a way, despite the difference in style
Yeah, I'd call that their best song (even though it isn't their quirkiest by any means lol), though Toxicity is easily their best album. Thankfully it's also the only one without any f-bombs. They're my best example of "I still listen to this, but I'd listen a lot more if the lyrics were cleaner." I don't mind the language on BYOB much though, as they're discussing a serious issue. But Toxicity doesn't have too much of that (though I still usually don't listen to Bounce, at least not more than the intro).

The four levels of objecting to lyrical content and loving the music are
"I object to some of the lyrics, but not really enough to make me listen less" (Best example: Metallica)
"Some songs I'll avoid, but most are completely fine" (Megadeth)
Already explained level three, which is SOAD (side note, I do really like bands like SOAD and Tourniquet that do creative things.)
And level four would be Slayer, which is "I love the music, but I mainly avoid listening due to the lyrical content."
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:49 pm

I don’t really mind the lyrics of BYOB, primarily because I agree with the overall message, and the f-bombs seem more for emphasis than trying to be crude (still could have done without them however). Although some other SOAD songs are much more lyrically questionable
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:52 pm

seth wrote:I don’t really mind the lyrics of BYOB, primarily because I agree with the overall message, and the f-bombs seem more for emphasis than trying to be crude (still could have done without them however). Although some other SOAD songs are more lyrically questionable
Exactly my point. When songs use language for emphasis I don't care too much (though I wouldn't have done it myself). Bounce, Marmalade, Cigaro, and She's Like Heroin are some of the more questionable ones (though Cigaro is kind of funny, and I don't even like SLH that much musically so I don't really care)
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth and JcHiker76 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:08 pm

No nu metal is better than good thrash.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:10 pm

Dave and Marty were the best guitar duo in thrash and in most of all metal.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm

^^ agree with the last two comments.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:13 pm

It's canon.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:51 pm

No I love the fact acdc stick to their guns and produce the same album over and again but with new hooks and songs in exactly the same style. Power up by acdc (a later album post Malcom) has quite a few different, subtle elements creeping in, almost a pop-ish thing going on in the production, a smoother sound with some almost, foo fight-ish chord things happening here and there, just splashes of it.

It's a great album.

My hot take: OverKill suck because the vocalist is yet another gonzo singer in thrash (perhaps the worst). This is why I hate a lot of thrash the vocals kill most of it.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:22 am

Black Rider wrote:No nu metal is better than good thrash.
Some songs on there (like Jet Pilot) are very fast, even though I still wouldn't call them thrash. Btw, have you heard much of Toxicity?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:24 am

Black Rider wrote:Dave and Marty were the best guitar duo in thrash and in most of all metal.
Can't really argue with that. While I prefer Metallica overall, Megadeth does have better guitar playing. Riff-wise, not sure, but solo-wise, yes.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:29 am

Although SOAD are quite good, I’ve gotta agree with Black Rider, good thrash beats the crap out of any nu-metal I’ve ever heard
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:36 am

seth wrote:Although SOAD are quite good, I’ve gotta agree with Black Rider, good thrash beats the crap out of any nu-metal I’ve ever heard
I agree for the most part, even Toxicity doesn't compare to Weapons, RiP, or especially Metallica's trilogy (RtL, MoP, and AJFA). But as far as most thrash, I think it's up there. Maybe not SOAD as a whole, but that album + BYOB (though BYOB is probably their thrashiest song) is close.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:44 am

Yeah I’d say if you took the best example of almost any genre, it would beat a large portion of mediocre and bad examples of pretty much any other genre, even if the other genre has much higher highs. Exceptions to this rule do exist however, such as grindcore and mumble rap
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:09 am

The vocals are what kill SOAD for me. The only songs I can get into are Aerials and Old School Hollywood.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:18 am

Dustofyears wrote:This is why I hate a lot of thrash the vocals kill most of it.
But. You’re. A. Vengeance. Rising. Fan.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:44 am

WildWorld wrote:The vocals are what kill SOAD for me. The only songs I can get into are Aerials and Old School Hollywood.
Aerials is an amazing song.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:17 am

Pethead wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:This is why I hate a lot of thrash the vocals kill most of it.
But. You’re. A. Vengeance. Rising. Fan.
Lolz yeah but roger's more kermit on roids (at least on White throne give it a listen and tell me that's not kermit losing the plot) and various other muppets on roids yelling into a mic. The only muppet I don't like the sound of yelling into a mic is GOnzo lolz.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:22 am

StevenCressler wrote:
WildWorld wrote:The vocals are what kill SOAD for me. The only songs I can get into are Aerials and Old School Hollywood.
Aerials is an amazing song.
One of the cover bands I was in for a few years covered quite a lot of SOAD. We were lucky enough to have a really great heavy rock drummer who knew tons of heavy rock and metal stuff so could cover lots of different stuff from Slyer to cannibal corpse to pantera and soad and everything in between. Good times.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:42 am

StevenCressler wrote:
Black Rider wrote:No nu metal is better than good thrash.
Some songs on there (like Jet Pilot) are very fast, even though I still wouldn't call them thrash. Btw, have you heard much of Toxicity?

I see SOAD as a crossover nu-metal thrash band. Or at least Toxicity is a nu-metal thrash crossover album. I don't know any other "nu-metal" band that has even close the amount of thrash drumming and thrash riffs Toxicity has. They rarely have any parts like that.

I would probably call SOAD more like an avantgarde metal band as it's not really that much nu-metal either. As far as I recall the only real 100% nu-metal moment in the Toxicity album is in the song X starting at 1:20. That's the style of nu-metal I don't care at all and is probably my least liked part of the whole album. The rest of the song is a weird hybrid of doom, alternative, thrash, hardcore punk.

Science, by the way, is lyrically pretty interesting as it's a secular metal band being anti-science and pro-spirituality. That was very rare around that time with scientism and new atheism on the rise. Some say Serj is just pretending to be a "bad preacher" who is mocking science and that it should be taken ironically as people still seem to think that a metal artist can't be spiritual, but he has explained his spiritual beliefs a bit in different interviews. He dislikes the word God, but likes to use the word Creator and the line "spirit moves through all things" instead to describe God. He seems to be one of those whose spiritual beliefs are a mixture of different religions including Christianity, and definitely believes in a creator and a soul. So the lyrics of Science are actually to be taken at face value instead of an ironic mockery of religion. While he is not an actual Christian he still seems to appreciate Christianity because of its history in Armenia and keeping Armenians together and preserving the Armenian culture when all sorts of other religions were hostile towards Armenia. In any case around the time Toxicity was released it was pretty rare for any secular metal band to be critical towards science or that they have any spiritual/religious beliefs.

Jet Pilot is one of my favorites on that album. The chorus reminds me of the fast thrash part between the verse and chorus in Tourniquet's Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance. And Science reminds me of Tourniquet's Restoring the Locust Years.

If Tourniquet would've continued with the sound and style of the new tracks on The Collected Works (Perfect Night for a Hanging & The Hand Trembler) and combined that to the Crawl to China songs like Proprioception (minus the blues intro and outro), Tire Kicking and Stumblefoot, it would've been close to what System of a Down have done.
It's really not that far off to compare SOAD with Tourniquet. They have some of the same melodic sensibilities Tourniquet had and same type of attention to heavy thrashy groove.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:31 am

StevenCressler wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Dave and Marty were the best guitar duo in thrash and in most of all metal.
Can't really argue with that. While I prefer Metallica overall, Megadeth does have better guitar playing. Riff-wise, not sure, but solo-wise, yes.
I prefer Metallica’s riffing style, but Dave and Marty are insane together. RiP is a masterpiece.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:40 am

Grace Under Pressure is just as good a Rush album as A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres.  And it is better than the first three (Rush, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night).  It has amazing production values and a wide breadth of emotions with brilliant muscianship displayed in many instances (just not as much showmanship in the past).  The songs will stick with you and pop in your unexpectedly to haunt you throughout the day.  However, it is downhill after that album with highlights here and there.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next