The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...)

+15
Luke Easter
KaramKaram
alldatndensum
Airola
Soldier777
StevenCressler
TZ75
Kerrick
deathisgain
MagnusPrime
mothy
Pethead
Follower of Jesus
CrimsonWarrior
Lex Metalis
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...) Empty About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...)

Post by Lex Metalis Tue May 23, 2023 1:46 pm

One of the last topics that shaken the realm of Christian Metal on Facebook is the fact that Brutal Planet Records, the non christian Record label that is a sublabel from Retroactive Records, will rerelease an álbum from a declared satanic band.

Some persons are thinking in boycott anything that Boone's will do from here ahead and I can't lie, to me this subject sounds a little arrange, but I don't think in stop purchasing some of good stuff from them. And you guys, what do you think about this?

P.S.: I'm bring this issue here just to talk and know your views about the question, not to judge or condemn the actions from the label's owner...
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...) Empty Re: About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...)

Post by CrimsonWarrior Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm

It's one thing to release secular music, but an entirely different category to release satanic music imo. I don't see how it could be morally justified in any way. It's not like a label is some kind of open platform anyone can use to release their music. They pick and choose what they want to release, and in this case they have chosen wrongly.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Kerrick, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...) Empty Re: About Boone's Overstock, Brutal Planet Records, Non Christian Black Metal (and maybe more...)

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue May 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Yeah, I responded on Facebook. I’m shocked and saddened that they would choose to release this album.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Kerrick, TZ75, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 23, 2023 4:48 pm

I remember getting into an argument with my band mates in college because our vocalist wanted to play a show with a satanic band on the bill. I was fine to play with secular bands, but I didn’t want to play with a satanic one. I’m not saying I was right and he was wrong, it’s just what this discussion reminded me of.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Staybrite, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue May 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Heck Ive already stopped buying from boones since they jacked Shipping and CD prices through the roof
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, alldatndensum, Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 23, 2023 4:57 pm

mothy wrote:Heck Ive already stopped buying from boones since they jacked Shipping and CD prices through the roof
Same with me, actually.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue May 23, 2023 5:03 pm

Pethead wrote:I remember getting into an argument with my band mates in college because our vocalist wanted to play a show with a satanic band on the bill. I was fine to play with secular bands, but I didn’t want to play with a satanic one. I’m not saying I was right and he was wrong, it’s just what this discussion reminded me of.

You should have pulled an opposite to what Glen Benton did to Tourniquet and had the satanic band kicked off the bill LOL!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 23, 2023 5:11 pm

I didn’t have near that kind of cache.

Still don’t, actually…
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue May 23, 2023 6:20 pm

It doesn't surprise me. Matt went off the deep end a while back ago. I don't think he post about it as much, but he got deep into support for the LGBTQ community and talking down to anyone that didn't agree to his stance. And he's a Pastor to boot.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Staybrite, Pethead, BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue May 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Yikes I don't think I was aware of that...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 23, 2023 6:27 pm

Bad decision from Boones…

There is already so many anti-Christian record labels that would never consider selling anything Christian. Even if the band makes them money! 

But at the end of the day, I guess Boones is just a business (not a ministry). The owner loves money.

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue May 23, 2023 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 23, 2023 6:28 pm

deathisgain wrote:It doesn't surprise me. Matt went off the deep end a while back ago. I don't think he post about it as much, but he got deep into support for the LGBTQ community and talking down to anyone that didn't agree to his stance. And he's a Pastor to boot.
Yikes. And sadly, more and more common.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm

mothy wrote:Heck Ive already stopped buying from boones since they jacked Shipping and CD prices through the roof

I’m glad you brought that up! 

His shipping rates are horrible! I’m convinced it’s a scam. He lures you with the sale price, then jacks up the shipping to minimize the savings. And those gold edition remasters are way over priced! Averaging around $22 a disc. Is it worth it? Sometimes the remaster ruins the charm of the original.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite, Pethead, mothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 23, 2023 6:43 pm

Speaking of the gold disc remasters…

I just got a great deal over at Girder (about a week ago). He lowered the price of his stock on select albums. I got two Nevermore albums at $11.80 per CD. 

In comparison, just one at Boones prices (plus his shipping) would be close to $30.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, mothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 pm

Pethead wrote:I remember getting into an argument with my band mates in college because our vocalist wanted to play a show with a satanic band on the bill. I was fine to play with secular bands, but I didn’t want to play with a satanic one. I’m not saying I was right and he was wrong, it’s just what this discussion reminded me of.
Similar to when Megadeth ended up getting Rotting Christ and Dissection kicked off a concert because Dave refused to play alongside them.

Btw, did your band ever release anything?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 am

I have known for awhile about Matt's view on LBGT. He's a United Minister and the United Church is liberal regarding LBGT I believe. Another way of looking at it is Matt runs a label. It's similar to buying Stryper on Frontiers Records. Frontiers isn't a Christian label buy they distribute Michael Sweet's work.

Do you buy from liberal companies like Starbucks or Nike?
Do you buy secular albums that promote a permissive lifestyle?

I don't agree with the LBGT alphabet lifestyle. If Matt reissues a Christian album, I'll likely buy it from him or at an after market place. I want to support the artist. Does the artist know - we don't know. You would be surprised what "Christian" record companies and artist think of LBGT. There has been a few songs in the past against it or the general immoral lifestyle like Jerusalem Sodom but it isn't written about very often.

If your favorite artist supported LBGT or was lenient, what would you do?

I'm not judging, just mentioning a few areas to think about.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Hardcore Christian, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am

Soldier777 wrote:There has been a few songs in the past against it or the general immoral lifestyle like Jerusalem Sodom but it isn't written about very often.

The only lyrics that come to mind are from Deliverance's What a Joke where one line is specifically criticizing gays. Jimmy later censored himself when he re-recorded the song in 2014 and replaced the word "homos" with "the world", but the new 2020 remaster by Retroactive Records left that the way it used to be.

I don't really care if a band is for or against LGBT, or for or against anything else for that matter.
To quote Roger:
"If it jams it jams"

I don't like censorship though, so I don't like what Jimmy did with the lyrics even though that doesn't really matter that much, and I don't like if curse words are beeped or whatever (the only time that has worked was in the infamous re-release of Megadeth's These Boots where the beeping is overdone as a joke - it actually sounds way nastier with the beeps sometimes filling complete sentences, it's comedy gold!)

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:58 am

I didn't noticed on What a Joke that homos was replaced by world. I have the view that just because something is "Christian" or "non- Christian" or "secular" doesn't mean it does or does not hold up to the Bible.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:36 pm

As long as Matt releases Christian material that I want to hear, I will support that.  I don't have to agree with his stances on issues, not don't have to buy something completely Satanic in nature.

As a Christian whilo is also a musician, I would be honored to play my music even if there were a Satanic band on stage.  You may as well sow a seed or two if the opportunity arises.  You never know who will hear, believe, and be saved.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Hardcore Christian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 pm

alldatndensum wrote:As long as Matt releases Christian material that I want to hear, I will support that.  I don't have to agree with his stances on issues, not don't have to buy something completely Satanic in nature.

As a Christian whilo is also a musician, I would be honored to play my music even if there were a Satanic band on stage.  You may as well sow a seed or two if the opportunity arises.  You never know who will hear, believe, and be saved.
Amen
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:11 pm

Soldier777 wrote:If Matt reissues a Christian album, I'll likely buy it from him or at an after market place. I want to support the artist.

Doing so doesn't support the artist, generally speaking. More often than not, especially in the case of the remasters/reissues, the distro pays for a license from the rights holder to do a limited run of the title/titles. None of which goes to the artist.

In the case of an indie like me, that fee is paid to the artist, and the entity issuing the rerelease gets all of the proceeds from the sales.

So you're not supporting the artist when you purchase these.

***EDIT*** This is not a diss of Matt or anyone else. As a fan, I'm happy to see some of these reissues of out-of-print titles. But as an artist, I can't help but cringe a little when someone thinks that they're doing artists a solid when they purchase them. 99.9% of the time the artist sees none of the money generated, and in a lot of cases has no idea their work was licensed at all. The entity reissuing the records take s a risk, puts up their money for the license, the remastering (if applicable), the updated artwork, etc., ad theyre entitled to make back whatever they can of their money. That's how business works. But again, it almost never benefits the artist.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
Similar to when Megadeth ended up getting Rotting Christ and Dissection kicked off a concert because Dave refused to play alongside them.

Btw, did your band ever release anything?
We had a video of a live performance on YouTube ages ago, but I haven’t been able to find it in years.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:16 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
Soldier777 wrote:If Matt reissues a Christian album, I'll likely buy it from him or at an after market place. I want to support the artist.

Doing so doesn't support the artist, generally speaking. More often than not, especially in the case of the remasters/reissues, the distro pays for a license from the rights holder to do a limited run of the title/titles. None of which goes to the artist.

In the case of an indie like me, that fee is paid to the artist, and the entity issuing the rerelease gets all of the proceeds from the sales.

So you're not supporting the artist when you purchase these.

***EDIT*** This is not a diss of Matt or anyone else. As a fan, I'm happy to see some of these reissues of out-of-print titles. But as an artist, I can't help but cringe a little when someone thinks that they're doing artists a solid when they purchase them. 99.9% of the time the artist sees none of the money generated, and in a lot of cases has no idea their work was licensed at all. The entity reissuing the records take s a risk, puts up their money for the license, the remastering (if applicable), the updated artwork, etc., ad theyre entitled to make back whatever they can of their money. That's how business works. But again, it almost never benefits the artist.

Thanks for the clarification!

As far as label releases, these reissued probably don't profit the artist much if at all.  In the past few years, I have bought more reissues of demo albums or self-released projects.  I would guess that the artists negotiate with Retroactive, Roxx, and Girder directly in these cases.  They would profit more directly.  I know--it isn't going to be huge amounts because of all these labels doing limited releases.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 pm

So he’s promoting the enemy for a profit? Doesn’t make sense. Is the guy a Christian? It’s a total contradiction to do that. 

Judas and his 30 pieces of silver.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Follower of Jesus, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 pm

No wonder I haven't bought any music (Christian or otherwise, apart from my YouTube Music subscription) in ages.  This woke "pastor" and his business can kick rocks and go belly-up IMO.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Follower of Jesus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next