The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do you spend on music in a year?

+13
Staybrite
eatbugs
crucifyd
Grindboy
Dr3ams
TZ75
alldatndensum
mothy
Dustofyears
Ammocas
Pethead
Temple of Blood
Sevenoneself
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How much do you spend on music in a year? Empty How much do you spend on music in a year?

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:34 pm

For those who are comfortable answering, I'm interested in knowing approximately how much you spend on music albums and songs in a year, and even what a rough breakdown between streaming, downloads, CD's, vinyl, etc. The last 10 years I've probably spent $50-$100 a year on new music, and I'm getting the vibe here that you spend much more. And it shows; I know, relatively, very few bands compared to all of you. Thanks!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

How much do you spend on music in a year? Empty Re: How much do you spend on music in a year?

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:50 pm

I don't spend much anymore but have a gigantic music collection from years past, and listen to a lot of music on YouTube these days.

So in a year currently I might spend $100 on new music.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

How much do you spend on music in a year? Empty Re: How much do you spend on music in a year?

Post by Pethead Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:13 pm

In previous years, probably $300–$400. But with a kid and a new work situation, I’m spending a lot less this year. I’m also checking more albums out before I buy them, something I used to resist somewhat.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Wayyyyy too much…probably a couple hundred dollars … sometimes way more.I need to be more selective. I have a large collection of cd’s/vinyl that goes back to the early eighties…but in the last couple years, there have been some great releases by bands that are still putting out great music such as Trytan, The Brave, Bride, Stryper, True Strength, Ritual Servant, Time Horizon and Messenger to name a few.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:43 pm

The last c.d I got online or anywhere was Seventh Angel- Dust of years and my dying Bride. That was years back. Otherwise I don't get excited anymore for music like I used to. Something is lost-used to be crazy over CDs and music in general but now I just can't get too excited about it. Think music, especially metal and rock, is frankly dead for now. It died after the 90's early 2000's.  Am looking forward to the new King's X album to drop though.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:51 pm

Ammocas wrote:Wayyyyy too much…probably a couple hundred dollars … sometimes way more.I need to be more selective. I have a large collection of cd’s/vinyl that goes back to the early eighties…but in the last couple years, there have been some great releases by bands that are still putting out great music such as Trytan, The Brave, Bride, Stryper, True Strength, Ritual Servant, Time Horizon and Messenger to name a few.

Temple of Blood
I don't spend much anymore but have a gigantic music collection from years past, and listen to a lot of music on YouTube these days.
So in a year currently I might spend $100 on new music.

Out of curiousity, what does "gigantic" and "large" mean?  Smile I haven't thought about it for quite awhile, but I guess I still have 30 or 40 cassettes, maybe 100-150 CD's, and 50 or so downloads. But I offloaded probably 50-70 to Cross Rhythms and friends back in the early 2000's (should have kept them but I needed money!).
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 pm

I'm probably between $100-$150 out of my pocket and usually another $200 in gifts
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 pm

Probably $250-$300 a year.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:39 am

This is a related question. Do you subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify? I'm subscribed to Amazon Prime Music, but I'm not really happy with the Android App.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:25 am

I don’t keep track.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:34 am

Sevenoneself wrote:This is a related question. Do you subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify? I'm subscribed to Amazon Prime Music, but I'm not really happy with the Android App.

I don't subscribe to any streaming.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Temple of Blood and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 am

Sevenoneself wrote:This is a related question. Do you subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify? I'm subscribed to Amazon Prime Music, but I'm not really happy with the Android App.

Neither
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr3ams Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:26 am

I buy a mix of lossless downloads and CDs. I usually spend about 250 ($260) to 400 ($416) Euros a year.

...and I don't subscribe to any streaming services. I usually load all lossless purchases or rip my CDs to a media server I built. If I want music on my cell phone then I load it as Flac and use JetAudio to listen to it.
Dr3ams
Dr3ams
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 am

I probably spend more in a year than I realize.

The same day I posted in this thread before I found a distro that had cheap thrash cassettes and I spent $58 right then and there.

Almost all of my spending is on older releases though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

I have maybe 50 downloads, maybe 100 cassettes, maybe 30 vinyl, and probably 1000 CDs.  I'm just guessing on the # of CDs, but it is a full-size bookshelf full.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am

Sevenoneself wrote:For those who are comfortable answering, I'm interested in knowing approximately how much you spend on music albums and songs in a year, and even what a rough breakdown between streaming, downloads, CD's, vinyl, etc. The last 10 years I've probably spent $50-$100 a year on new music, and I'm getting the vibe here that you spend much more. And it shows; I know, relatively, very few bands compared to all of you. Thanks!

For a couple reasons, the demographic of this board tends to be older. I'm old for sure (mid-40's), which plays a big part in all of this.

Like many, I don't spend a lot at this point. Over the last 5 or so years I probably average about $50/year. But from roughly 00-15 I was probably around $500/year, and $100-200/year from like '90--00. So like many on here, I know a ton of bands because I've been watching/listening for a good 3 decades. 

No subscriptions, but I do have a Pandora channel that I use on occasion but not super regularly. Again, probably some of this is generational.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:49 am

I think I had a bit of FOMO about not being on Spotify; definitely don't anymore after hearing from you guys!

The only reason I have Amazon Prime Music is because I have Amazon Prime. If they quit bundling the Streaming service with the delivery service, I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:11 pm

man, I must have a problem. I don't actually know how much I spend
but it is...ahem...moooorrre than you guys are quoting.

I keep wondering if you are talking about per month or quarter or something,
rather than per year... I mean, $200/yr is only one (maybe) CD a month...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Temple of Blood and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:18 pm

crucifyd wrote:man, I must have a problem. I don't actually know how much I spend

This is what I was thinking when I started this thread! I don't think you have a problem, I probably spend more than I think I do--I should check my pocketbook.

The real thing I was interested in was how much people spend to know music as well as you guys do. I know, like, 5-10% as many bands as you do, and I thought I was pretty well versed in Christian Metal (especially in the 80s-90s era). I don't have any more disposable income to throw at music, but I also like to support bands and artists when they are putting out great music.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:30 pm

crucifyd wrote:man, I must have a problem. I don't actually know how much I spend

If it makes you feel any better, my wife informed me that my $300–$400 figure was too low…
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:07 pm

Embarassed Me too.  Exactly.

In my defense, mine goes in waves as I have the money to do it and interest in what is coming out.  If I work a lot of overtime, the music budget goes up.  Like many, I'm also finding less and less that really grabs me and as I look at my collection, I focus more and more on enjoying what I have.

As was pointed out, we tend to be older and this goes both ways.  I'm not the teenager anymore who could spend half of my paycheck on music.  That said, I'm in a relatively stable financial place in life, so like many of us, I have the money to enjoy a serious hobby.  For the moment, music is it.

I don't do subscriptions right now.  CD only.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, crucifyd and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:15 pm

Mine varies each year (obviously) and like TofB I spend much of my money on older stuff (probably around 80%).  I got rid of several hundred CDs about 12 years ago (like an idiot) and have spent the last ten to twelve years buying much of it back. For the last 10 years I've been tracking most of my spending. I've been spending around $300 to $600 a year (but one year I spent just short of $1000...yikes!).
I do expect that to drop sharply over the next few years because I have replaced almost all the older stuff I was looking for.
I have around 1200 cds, and about 700 digital download albums.  I do not subscribe to any streaming sites.  My goal over the next year or so is to try and limit myself to an average of $30 or $40 a month.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:52 pm

Pethead wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, my wife informed me that my $300–$400 figure was too low…

lol!

To save money a few years ago, I made myself a pedalboard instead of buying one. It was around $450. After I completed it, I added up all my expenses, and it was around $500.  scratch
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am

Apart from supporting a couple of Kickstarter projects in '20 (Chagall Guevara and the 77s), I have severely decreased my music expenditures since then.

Lord willing, I plan on ordering Trytan when they drop and maybe a couple of other projects...but my days of heavy music spending are over.  YouTube Music provides me with all the cool new Xian tuneage I need.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 am

I have Spotify, don't feel bad about it either, times change and the market changes and you keep up or die. I'm 54 and trying to figure out better ways to spend money, like Dr. bills for my wife's surgery. I will by the rare album but mostly it's streaming and it's so convenient and I love it.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, WildWorld, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next