The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September

+22
Airola
deathisgain
My Awesome Timothy
Soldier777
CCRockShow
Deadpool
Follower of Jesus
heck
BaleMaster
Andreas89
bodachi
alldatndensum
Frozen Fire
Temple of Blood
MikeInFla
eatbugs
TZ75
Constantine
Staybrite
Black Rider
Sir Shred A Lot
KaramKaram
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September Empty STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September

Post by KaramKaram Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am

Stryper front-man Michael Sweet was recently interviewed by Metal Mike for the 80’s Glam Metalcast podcast.
The Christian rockers have been on a resurgence in the last seven years or so with some of their best albums released in that time-span including No More Hell To Pay, Fallen and God Damn Evil.

In terms of Stryper‘s next studio album, Sweet indicated (as transcribed by the 80’s Glam Metalcast podcast): “It’s a great album. There’s a 11 tracks on it. I get poked fun at for saying it’s our best album, because I say that with every album. I really believe that with each album we get better. It has a really great feel to it. We have a new band-mate on the album Perry Richardson. He has brought a lot to the table in terms of the groove and the foundation, and also his bass playing and vocal harmonies. The album is going to come out in September. The first song will be released in June. I can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

Stryper‘s second album Soldiers Under Command celebrated its 35th year anniversary earlier this month and Sweet stated the following about that record: “It’s a great one. It’s an album we had been playing out for a good year prior to recording it. So when we went in to record it, we knew what we were doing. As soon as we were done recording it we went to Japan for the first time. It was a really special time. A lot of new ground was being broken for the band.”

You can listen to the interview with Michael Sweet on the 80’s Glam Metalcast podcast below:

https://youtu.be/RMSL8JX_43s
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September Empty Re: STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Not sure if it will be their BEST album, but Stryper is one of the few bands that is still putting out stuff that is in - or nearly in - the same class as some of their classic works. Count me in on this one.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September Empty Re: STRYPER NEW ALBUM - Coming out in September

Post by Black Rider Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:01 pm

I think Gde was a step down from the last two but I'm hopeful.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Black Rider wrote:I think Gde was a step down from the last two but I'm hopeful.

I agree on both counts.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:53 pm

KaramKaram wrote:Sweet indicated (as transcribed by the 80’s Glam Metalcast podcast): “It’s a great album. There’s a 11 tracks on it. I get poked fun at for saying it’s our best album, because I say that with every album. I really believe that with each album we get better. 
I really hate it when bands say "this is our best album ever!" when they already said that about the last album, and the one prior to that, and the one prior to that, etc.   Why not just say, "this is a great album, we worked hard on it, and I think you'll like it."

O.K., that's my pet peeve rant for today  Cool
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm

I’m always hoping their next album will be the “best”... but even the last few have only been partially good and mostly unmemorable. They need to combine the musical punch of Soldiers with the big vocal hooks of THWTD!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 pm

TZ, I don't think they can, they're not that band anymore.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Black Rider wrote:TZ, I don't think they can, they're not that band anymore.

I know... but I like to hope for the best.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:27 am

Can I play Devil's advocate here?  I hope every band wants to make their new album their best.  What band in their right mind would say "Let's make this a pretty good album"?  Rarely do bands succeed at this and I'm cynical that Stryper will this time too, but I'm glad they're trying.

I once saw a quote "Aim for perfection.  You might not get there, but you will like where you land."

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:49 pm

eatbugs wrote:Can I play Devil's advocate here?  I hope every band wants to make their new album their best.  What band in their right mind would say "Let's make this a pretty good album"?  Rarely do bands succeed at this and I'm cynical that Stryper will this time too, but I'm glad they're trying.

I once saw a quote "Aim for perfection.  You might not get there, but you will like where you land."

eatbugs, that is my feeling as well.....

I think any time a band is working on a new project, they should feel it is their best effort to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:17 pm

So far I have enjoyed the last 3 releases equally. All are excellent and are like a trilogy of albums.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm

I guess I'll be the dissenter here.

I don't think they've done anything good since IGWT and I don't believe this will be good either.  Bands don't bounce back after 4 or 5 mediocre albums.

I just hope Oz gets better.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I guess I'll be the dissenter here.

I don't think they've done anything good since IGWT and I don't believe this will be good either.  Bands don't bounce back after 4 or 5 mediocre albums.

I just hope Oz gets better.

They haven't had "4 or 5 mediocre albums".

You may not like them, heck, everyone has different tastes when it comes to what they do or don't like. But kinda rude to say that you don't think it will be "good either".

I mean, I don't like your band, at all. But I am not going to sit here and say your albums are mediocre or when you announce a new album say "Yeah, well it won't be good either".

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Bought4Life wrote:

I mean, I don't like your band, at all. But I am not going to sit here and say your albums are mediocre or when you announce a new album say "Yeah, well it won't be good either".
Hey now, TOB is entitled to his opinion.  We all have different tastes and expectations.

I happen to think Temple of Blood is awesome, especially the "Overlord" album.

IMO, the last 3 Stryper albums have had some superb songs - some of my favorites from them.

Just like the last Michael Sweet album had some great material.

But are the albums great in their entirety?    Not really, I find myself skipping some tracks.  
But that's common, most albums have anywhere from 2 - 5 really good songs at most.

Overall, I think Stryper has been firing on all cylinders lately, and I am not a fanboy of theirs by any stretch, but I have been impressed.   And compared to most of their peers in the commercial / hair / glam metal scene, Stryper has been way up there in terms of output quality, playing, singing, live shows, etc.  

But the sound of the recent albums is a bit different from the early material, so they may not be everyone's cup of tea.
That's cool.

I'm sure the new Stryper album will be good because Michael is a perfectionist and he and the band will work hard to make it good.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Constantine wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:

Hey now, TOB is entitled to his opinion.  We all have different tastes and expectations.

I CLEARLY said we all have different tastes and that people like different things.

He can like or not not like anyone he wants. Just like I can.

My point was the snobbish way he said this one won't be any good either. That's a pretty classless remark.

If you disagree with me..cool....we are all entitled to our opinions

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:06 pm

^And I clearly made other remarks, which you apparently didn't bother to read.

But since you're on the moral high ground, I didn't care for your tone with TOB either. But how you choose to conduct yourself is your business and it's a reflection on you. And you're right, that's my opinion.

Otherwise I stand by my comments.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 pm

Personally, Stryper have never made a perfect album. On each original era album there are always at least 2 tracks I don't care for and at least one middling track I rarely listen to.

When they came back I thought Reborn had solid songwriting but it wasn't my style. It was better than most "modern" 80s comebacks. Murder By Pride (which I know someone here loves) I didn't care for at all. Didn't have the groove and pounding rhythms of Reborn, the hooks weren't there for me. I don't know, I just didn't care for it.

The newest era, there hasn't been a single worthy ballad for my taste. I skip the "ballads." Thankfully that's been 1 per album. Otherwise I like every track on the last three to listen to for enjoyment, some much moreso than others. For me, the overall quality of the last three is better than anything prior.

My only beef and worry with new material is recycled riffs. Either taking Sabbath riffs or having riffs that bear awfully close similarities to what Mike has previously written either for Stryper or his solo material. I know bands are prone to that, especially with one prolific writer but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

Hopeful for the new one as always. Style-wise they've been on a role. It's merely a question of "How much will I like the individual songs?"
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Constantine wrote:^And I clearly made other remarks, which you apparently didn't bother to read.

Yes, you made other remarks..and I did read them thank you....but I was responding to your comment about my comment to ToB. Why would I need to bring up your opinion of Stryper? I don't care if someone likes them or not. My point was about the way it was presented, and I would have felt that way no matter what band it was.

Constantine wrote:But since you're on the moral high ground,  

But you get up on yours to tell me how I am wrong.

Constantine wrote:I didn't care for your tone with TOB either.  But how you choose to conduct yourself is your business and it's a reflection on you.  And you're right, that's my opinion.

Hahahahahahaha...ok man..whatever you say

Last edited by Bought4Life on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm

I am excited about this.  I think they've done three really strong albums in a row.  Also, Michael released his greatest work on his last solo record in my opinion.  With that momentum and the band's excitement about having Perry Richardson in the band with what he brings to the table, they have the potential to blow themselves out of the water.  I, for one, am willing to give them the chance.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 pm

If the new Stryper has the same beefy guitar sound as Michael Sweet’s latest solo album, it’s definitely welcomed!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:09 am

Hmm, new Stryper album...gonna have to hear some samples before I put down any of my hard-earned cash on a new album

Who am I kidding? New Stryper album! Huzzah! Where do I pre-order?
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 am

I think the working title is "**** Sin In The **** With A 15-Pound ****".
(If previous album titles give us any clues)
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 am

Although I'm not a Stryper fan, NMHTP is one of my favourite christian metal albums, and one of my personal highlights of last decade in general. Because of that I was a bit too careless and bought Fallen as soon as I could. Turned out to be a hit or miss album. The singles of GDE couldn't convince me, so I didn't bother with that one.

So I'll be very careful this time. But I'm still hoping for the best of course Wink
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:11 am

I'll pass

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm in.  Have been a Stryper fanboy since THWTD...that's never going to change!!  Rockin Loud

Last edited by BaleMaster on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next