The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)?

+6
Believer12
6stringgrind
deathisgain
Tombie
bodachi
Staybrite
10 posters

Go down

Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)? Empty Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

With the advancements in recording technology and the improved skills of some artists, is there any bands out there that you would like for them to re-record some of their music?

Remember, we are talking about active bands.

Me personally, I would love to see Bloodgood do one. Especially tunes from their Detonation album. I love "Alone In Suicide" but always thought it could have been so much better with better production and more punch (it was typical for that era in Christian music to have issues with both, though).

Having the twin attack of Paul Jackson and Oz Fox would be nice to hear on some of those older songs, and who knows, maybe they could get David Zaffiro to play on it too...

Back to top Go down

Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)? Empty Re: Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)?

Post by Staybrite Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Bloodgood was talking about rerecording "All Stand Together".  I would certainly buy that.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)? Empty Re: Are there any bands you wish would re-record their stuff (a la Stryper's Second Coming)?

Post by bodachi Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:47 pm

NO
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Staybrite wrote:Bloodgood was talking about rerecording "All Stand Together".  I would certainly buy that.

Yeah, all they wound up doing was one song...which actually was pretty good

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:59 pm

any of the pastor brad stuff... I would love to hear him with a real drummer. the drum machine annoys me for some reason.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Tombie wrote:any of the pastor brad stuff... I would love to hear him with a real drummer. the drum machine annoys me for some reason.

Oh, I agree about the drum machines.

I believe Titanic had used machines on some of their early stuff, then had Robert Sweet come in and redo it

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:07 pm

This is a tough call that, in my opinion, is affected by a few things:
1. A lot of bands that had exceptional singers (like Dale Thompson of Bride) can't sing the way they used to. Don't get me wrong, I think he is still a phenomenal singer, just can't hit the high notes. So the recording would miss that "oomph".

2. Some recordings, as bad as they were, have a certain nostalgia or a certain thing that made the song work. It could be because of the time period, recording equipment, etc. that affected the overall sound. So they may come back, make a "better" recording, and you realize that it just doesn't sound as good. It's missing that vibe.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by 6stringgrind Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:11 pm

In theory, it always sounds like a good idea but when it actually happens, it's almost always unsatisfying. You can't recreate the magic of those original recordings, inferior production values and all.

6stringgrind
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:33 pm

deathisgain wrote:This is a tough call that, in my opinion, is affected by a few things:
1. A lot of bands that had exceptional singers (like Dale Thompson of Bride) can't sing the way they used to. Don't get me wrong, I think he is still a phenomenal singer, just can't hit the high notes. So the recording would miss that "oomph".

2. Some recordings, as bad as they were, have a certain nostalgia or a certain thing that made the song work. It could be because of the time period, recording equipment, etc. that affected the overall sound. So they may come back, make a "better" recording, and you realize that it just doesn't sound as good. It's missing that vibe.

I agree about the vocals 100%. Les, as good as he sounds today, is not the same vocalist he was 20+ years ago. Vocalists run up against father time quicker than the rest of the band.

Michael Sweet is the only one I know who got better after all those years  (and possibly Steve Taylor).

And that is a good point about the nostalgia factor.

6stringgrind wrote:In theory, it always sounds like a good idea but when it actually happens, it's almost always unsatisfying. You can't recreate the magic of those original recordings, inferior production values and all.

Both of you bring up valid points.

I do think sometimes it works though.

I liked Stryper's Second Coming and I also really liked Steve Taylor's new version of Am I In Sync?

Back to top Go down

Post by Believer12 Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 am

I always thought if Bloodgood and Sacred Warrior redid their first album with the production technology we have today would make those albums sound the way they should have sounded
Believer12
Believer12
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Believer12 Fri May 01, 2015 4:29 am

All Stand Together by Bloodgood wasn't one I wanted to hear again though. The first time for me was enough although Rounded Are The Rocks is an exceptional song
Believer12
Believer12
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalGospel Sat May 02, 2015 12:57 am

All the 70's and 80's Petra CDs.

MetalGospel
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 am

MetalGospel wrote:All the 70's and 80's Petra CDs.
I would second this IF the keyboards were traded for another guitar
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Galations6.7 Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Deliverance and Vengeance Rising

Last edited by Galations6.7 on Sat May 02, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
Galations6.7
Galations6.7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat May 02, 2015 2:00 pm

bodachi wrote:
MetalGospel wrote:All the 70's and 80's Petra CDs.
I would second this IF the keyboards were traded for another guitar

Ditto.  The live version of It Is Finished from Farewell rocks!  Do THAT instead of what we got with Double Take and it might be my favorite Petra album.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Petra Beat the System 2015
TMLMKE
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down