The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albums/Bands You Don’t Get

+26
Christian Thrash Rules
scottmitchell74
bodachi
Grindboy
TZ75
mothy
strangerhoncho
Soldier777
alldatndensum
crucifyd
WildWorld
Temple of Blood
Constantine
eatbugs
CrimsonWarrior
Drawnsword
Raegoul
Black Rider
ThomasEversole
Frozen Fire
Kerrick
deathisgain
Dustofyears
Follower of Jesus
Opeth3232
Pethead
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Albums/Bands You Don’t Get - Page 3 Empty Re: Albums/Bands You Don’t Get

Post by Soldier777 Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:57 pm

Most of my 350-360 CDs and 80-90 vinyl is mostly old school hard rock, blues based hard rock, commercial metal, power metal, prog/technical metal and thrash. I like clean vocals. I'm not into gutteral vocals, screamo and growls vocals so that would mean I don't like black, metal core, doom and most extreme types of metal. 

I do get why people like Tourniquet. I tried to like them and I listened to a lot of their music on youtube and I don't like them enough to buy their music. They are an extremely talented band. 

Another band I can't get into is Bride. I get why people like them at least the old school style of albums they released. I can't get past Dales's vocals. However, I find his vocals better on the first 2 or 3 albums when his voice was more clearer and had less of the husky vocal style that was more dominant in the 90s. 

People seem to be divided about Whiteheart Don't Wait for the Movie. That was the first album I bought in the fall of 1986 and liked. The next one Emergency Broadcast (1987) wasn't as good but to me they got better after Freedom. Emergency Broadcast and Redemption are the albums I like the least during the 1986-1997 period. I heard their first 3 albums but never bothered to get them. Boones or Girder has the first 3 reissued.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Mic please...thank you... ahem...Vengeance Rising are one of the most unique thrash bands in the christian and circular world and you can't stop it. They didn't mimic Slayer or Metallica or even Pestilence. Just about every thrash band sounds like one of the big four or a combo of said four.  You can't say that about Vengeance Rising, no sir. They were their own singular and raw savage beast.  Roger had a lot to do with that. To my mind, they sounded like a band ripping out peoples throats, if not sawing through their necks.  No other thrash band has ever invoked that image and made such an impression on my mind as Vengeance rising did the first time I heard them, nor has any death metal band.

Ditto!  I couldn't have put it better myself!

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Pethead wrote:Thought of another one: 

Seventh Angel. 

They have a cool, unique sound, but I don't really get why so many go gaga over them. I spin The Torment on occasion and it's solid, but I find their stuff doesn't really grab me. I have a friend who adores Lament for the Weary, but I find it kind of dull.

Umm. "Cool, unique sound".  There's your reason right there.  99% of metal bands sound generic and like some other band(s).  It's apparently REALLY hard to have a unique sound.  So any band that can accomplish it will gain enthusiastic fans.  Seventh Angel was a pioneer in doomy thrash and even to this day nobody sounds like them.  It sounds like it's from another time and place.  I get that Lament for the Weary sounds a bit tired as far as energy, but that's the point.  You have to be in the mood.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:39 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:

Seventh Angel. 

They have a cool, unique sound, but I don't really get why so many go gaga over them. I spin The Torment on occasion and it's solid, but I find their stuff doesn't really grab me. I have a friend who adores Lament for the Weary, but I find it kind of dull.

Umm. "Cool, unique sound".  There's your reason right there.  99% of metal bands sound generic and like some other band(s).  It's apparently REALLY hard to have a unique sound.  So any band that can accomplish it will gain enthusiastic fans.  Seventh Angel was a pioneer in doomy thrash and even to this day nobody sounds like them.  It sounds like it's from another time and place.  I get that Lament for the Weary sounds a bit tired as far as energy, but that's the point.  You have to be in the mood.
Sure. But “cool, unique sound” does not inherently equal “great songs.”
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:50 pm

Soldier777 wrote:Most of my 350-360 CDs and 80-90 vinyl is mostly old school hard rock, blues based hard rock, commercial metal, power metal, prog/technical metal and thrash. I like clean vocals. I'm not into gutteral vocals, screamo and growls vocals so that would mean I donlt like black, metal core, doom and most extreme types of metal. 

I do get why people like Tourniquet. I trid to like them and I listened to alot of their music on youtube and I don;t like them enough to buy their music. They are an extremely talented band. 

Another band I can't get into is Bride. I get why people like them at least the old school style of albums they released. I can't get past Dales's vocals. However, I find his vocals better on the first 2 or 3 albums when his voice wa smore clearer and had less of the husky vocal style that wa smore dominant in the 90s. 

People seem to be divided about Whiteheart Don't Wait for the Movie. That was the first album I bought in the fall of 1986 and liked. The next one Emergency Broadcast (1987) wasn't as good but to me they got better after Freedom. Emergency Broadcast and Redemption are the albums I like the least during the 1986-1997 period. I heard their first 3 albums but never bothered to get them. Boones or Girder has the first 3 reissued.
I love almost all Tourniquet and the first 6 Bride albums. But different strokes.

I know I’m alone on this, but I really feel like Emergency Broadcast is overall more solid than Don’t Wait for the Movie. Movie starts strong and ends strong, but the middle sags a bit. I will say that the highs (Holy Ground, No Apology, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Christian, and How Many Times) are phenomenal.
Either way, WhiteHeart rules.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am

Pethead wrote:Sure. But “cool, unique sound” does not inherently equal “great songs.”

This is true, but I remember my friend first playing me this album back in the day and thinking it was great. Crushing guitar tone, some cool drum grooves, and some cool guitar riffs. Not every song works and I would not call it a masterpiece, but I do think it's a good album.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Pethead wrote:Sure. But “cool, unique sound” does not inherently equal “great songs.”

This is true, but I remember my friend first playing me this album back in the day and thinking it was great.  Crushing guitar tone, some cool drum grooves, and some cool guitar riffs.  Not every song works and I would not call it a masterpiece, but I do think it's a good album.
Sure. I was just making a general point. I also wouldn’t deny it’s a good album, I just don’t love it like many do.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

This is true, but I remember my friend first playing me this album back in the day and thinking it was great.  Crushing guitar tone, some cool drum grooves, and some cool guitar riffs.  Not every song works and I would not call it a masterpiece, but I do think it's a good album.

I loved Lament when I was younger, (never owned Torment) and bought the reissues. They didnt grab me like they did when I was younger and the loner notes REALLY put me off. I know Ian has been through some stuff and is in a different place but to pretty much come out and say he is embarrassed but the lyrics made me put them away on a shelf and Ive tried to sell them.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Pethead wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:

Seventh Angel. 

Oh, totally.  I don't think that either.  But I don't really listen to metal for great songs, because very few can be found in the genre.  It's more about riffs and tones and attitudes and textures.  And I think Seventh Angel had that in spades.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:11 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:
Pethead wrote:
strangerhoncho wrote:

Seventh Angel. 

Oh, totally.  I don't think that either.  But I don't really listen to metal for great songs, because very few can be found in the genre.  It's more about riffs and tones and attitudes and textures.  And I think Seventh Angel had that in spades.
Makes sense. Sometimes it's about atmosphere and overall sound. If you're on the band's wavelength with those it makes sense you'd like it. I'm the same way with some bands.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

strangerhoncho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Pethead wrote:
crucifyd wrote:other than the foray into rap, I don't get all the hate for Psycho Surgery...
Me neither. I think it’s brilliant and it’s one of my top TQT albums. I even like Spineless, mainly because the second half is great.

I don’t get the hate… the rap was in the style of old-school Run DMC. It was a fun experiment IMO. I wouldn’t want a full album of it… but in small doses, it’s fine. Same with Epic by FNM. 

Now if it was yodeling… I’d throw it in the trash! LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:00 pm

I don’t understand anyone hating on “A Dog’s Breakfast”. That is insane to me! It’s the most straightforward thrash song they ever did. It’s like Exodus and Megadeth (which are also known to have critics of the vocals). Vio-Lence is the band I have a hard time getting past the voice… that shows how much I differ with ToB. LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:19 pm

yodeling takes actual talent! Very Happy
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:yodeling takes actual talent!  Very Happy

Try it on your next recording project.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:yodeling takes actual talent!  Very Happy

You did say the vocals on the new record would be different didnt you???? Razz
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 pm

I’ll add another one:

Bloodgood: Dangerously Close

Don’t get me wrong. It’s a good album. Run Away and In the Trenches are two of their best songs. But I think putting it on the level of the classics is nuts, IMHO. It’s good but i don’t find it as exciting and compelling as their first 4. I’m really amazed at how many people put it above the first 4. I will say Les sounds amazing. I will also say that Father, Father is their worst song ever.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Louder and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Noisy hardcore or post-hardcore bands like Zao and Training for Utopia. I just never liked or understood their style.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, Constantine and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:09 pm

TZ75 wrote:Noisy hardcore or post-hardcore bands like Zao and Training for Utopia. I just never liked or understood their style.
Agreed. It just sounds like banging on instruments with no thought to actual song craft.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:23 pm

Who disliked my stetement above when I said this:

Most of my 350-360 CDs and 80-90 vinyl is mostly old school hard rock, blues based hard rock, commercial metal, power metal, prog/technical metal and thrash. I like clean vocals. I'm not into gutteral vocals, screamo and growls vocals so that would mean I don't like black, metal core, doom and most extreme types of metal. 

I do get why people like Tourniquet. I tried to like them and I listened to a lot of their music on youtube and I don't like them enough to buy their music. They are an extremely talented band. 

Another band I can't get into is Bride. I get why people like them at least the old school style of albums they released. I can't get past Dales's vocals. However, I find his vocals better on the first 2 or 3 albums when his voice was more clearer and had less of the husky vocal style that was more dominant in the 90s. 

I like what I like and I don't go for trends in music. I like the music style of the late 60s to the early 90s in rock, hard rock and metal.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Soldier777 wrote:Who disliked my stetement above when I said this:

I like what I like and I don't go for trends in music. I like the music style of the late 60s to the early 90s in rock, hard rock and metal.
It looks like I accidentally hit the dislike button when I meant to hit the like button. Sorry. Mea culpa.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:04 pm

Ok no worries Pethead. I don't get upset about that kind of stuff. Music tastes are subjective. I was only curious. I appreaciate we all have different music tastes. Different bands, songs and albums have meaning and memories to people. There are bands like Bride and Tourniquet I tried to like and I can't get into them. These are really talented bands.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:15 pm

At the risk (ok, certainty) of thread drift, yodeling is amazing and Buzz Goertzen owns all of your souls.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:22 pm

I think ToB should add in some throat singing.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:36 pm

What a Joke!

I still can't wrap my brain around the love for this album. And why is everyone so down on "Stay of Execution"? It's my tied-for-second-place-with-the-debut-album after "Weapons of Our Warfare"
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:44 pm

bodachi wrote:What a Joke!

I still can't wrap my brain around the love for this album. And why is everyone so down on "Stay of Execution"? It's my tied-for-second-place-with-the-debut-album after "Weapons of Our Warfare"
Agreed. WaJ has 2–3 good songs. Stay is awesome. It’s my second favorite after Weapons.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next