The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands or albums you can't get into...

+20
crucifyd
ChristianDeathMetal
Lex Metalis
TZ75
Constantine
Fundy
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
alldatndensum
Dustofyears
scottmitchell74
Grindboy
Pethead
Frozen Fire
Second Wind
Black Rider
Ammocas
mothy
Temple of Blood
Soldier777
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bands or albums you can't get into... Empty Bands or albums you can't get into...

Post by Soldier777 Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:57 pm

What are some bands/artists or albums you can't get into? Here are some of mine:

1. Vital Signs and Hotline: For some reason where lead Singer Scott Douglas service time for child molestation, I can't bring my self to buying those albums. I have everything from Don't Wait for the Movie. The only people I know were molested was a teacher and class mate of my daughter. 

2. All The Brave albums after Battle Cries: I have Battle Cries on CD and vinyl on order. While it's not a ground breaking/melt your face album it is pretty good, about a 6.5-7.5 out of 10. I had the original of Battle Cries, Trust and Rise and sold them. All their albums from Trust to Grave Digger I can't get into. Most of the bands I have in my collection I get all their albums. The past few years I'm much more selective. 

3. Sessions, That was Then, This is Now, The Fall: I had these albums and sold 2 of them and Sessions was damaged. The King James albums the 1994 debut and Maximus are good. I'm more of a fan of the 1987-1994 Whitecross. They should of done was do us all favor and changed the name after Rex left to The Scott Wenzel Band to differentiate this from his solo mellower music as Scott Wenzel and the original Rex's Whitecross. I think they would of done better where the music was different except for Scott's voice. The Rex version of Whitecross had a Van Halen/RATT vibe. After Rex left they lost that vibe. Also, if they went with a more bluesier direction as many 80s bands were doing in the early 90s like Badlands instead of grunge on the 7th album and a mix of grunge and bluesy music on Fly Trap and a more popular label besides REX they would of been more successful. I have all the Whitecross albums and haven't sold the last 2 they released in the 90s. I may some day. 

4. Bride: I have revisited them several times. An insanely popular band and very talented. They are mentioned quite a lot here. When I get into a band, I have to like the vocals. I haven't gotten used to Dale's voice yet, ha ha! I had the Show No Mercy cassette years ado and the CD for Snakes in the Playground back in 1992 and they were one bands that didn't stick. I felt the same way with Philadelphia, Stryken and Tempest. Pretty much all the bands in Christina Hard Rock and Metal that I purchased in the 80s I liked and still do and is in my collection. Their recent reissues sure look nice.

5. Tourniquet: This is another band I can't get into and have revisited them several times. I do like parts of the first 3 which are held in high regard by many fans. Their recent reissues sure look nice.

Vengeance Rising:  This is another band I can't get into and have revisited them several times. Roger's voice at times is comical and have bust out laughing sometimes. However, I like the songs Warfare and You Can't Stop It. I had Human Sacrifice and I found that one a bit weak. I find the production is thin and the drums are not mixed well, kind of like a pitter patter and not punchy enough - kind of like the way the drums are mixed on some of the Rush albums. I like the Die Happy Albums and have all 3 which is the same band without Roger. They left after the second or third Vengeance album - I can't remember. The first Die Happy albums is good but is a head scratcher. Is it thrash or a mix of 70s Hard Rock mixed with Thrash and Speed metal? I must ponder that for a while hen I listen to the album again. i had a friend who had the Once Dead cassette.

The band I'm most likely to purchase their albums I think would be Vengeance. After hearing Warfare (I head this one before) and You Can't Stop It I may revisit this band. i'm listening to Herod's Violent Death while typing this sentence.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Bands or albums you can't get into... Empty Re: Bands or albums you can't get into...

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm

What are some of your favorite Christian metal albums, just for frame of reference?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Bands or albums you can't get into... Empty Re: Bands or albums you can't get into...

Post by mothy Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:06 pm

Soldier777 wrote:What are some bands/artists or albums you can't get into? Here are some of mine:

1. Vital Signs and Hotline: For some reason where lead Singer Scott Douglas service time for child molestation, I can't bring my self to buying those albums. I have everything from Don't Wait for the Movie. 

2. All The Brave albums after Battle Cries: I have Battle Cries on CD and vinyl on order. While it's not a ground breaking/melt your face album it is pretty good, about a 6.5-7.5 out of 10. I had the original and sold it. All their albums from Trust to Grave Digger I can't get into. Most of the bands I have in my collection I get all their albums. The past few years I'm much more selective. 

3. Sessions, That was Then, This is Now, The Fall: I had these albums and sold 2 of them and Sessions was damaged. The King James albums the 1994 debut and Maximus are good. I'm more of a fan of the 1987-1994 Whitecross. They should of done was do us all favor and changed the name after Rex left to The Scott Wenzel Band to differentiate this from his solo mellower music as Scott Wenzel and the original Rex's Whitecross. I think they would of done better where the music was different except for Scott's voice. The Rex version of Whitecross had a Van Halen/RATT vibe. After Rex left they lost that vibe. Also, if they went with a more bluesier direction as many 80s bands were doing in the early 90s like Badlands instead of grunge on the 7th album and a mix of grunge and bluesy and a more popular label besides REX they would of been more successful. I have all the Whitecross albums and haven't sold the last 2 they released in the 90s. I may some day. 

4. Bride: I have revisited them several times. An insanely popular band and very talented. They are mentioned quite a lot here. When I get into a band, I have to like the vocals. I haven't gotten used to Dale's voice yet, ha ha! I had the Show No Mercy cassette years ado and the CD for Snakes in the Playground back in 1992 and they were one bands that didn't stick. I felt the same way with Philadelphia, Stryken and Tempest. Pretty much all the bands in Christina Hard Rock and Metal that I purchased in the 80s I liked and still do and is in my collection. Their recent reissues sure look nice.

5. Tourniquet: This is another band I can't get into and have revisited them several times. I do like parts of the first 3 which are held in high regard by many fans. Their recent reissues sure look nice.

Vengeance Rising:  This is another band I can't get into and have revisited them several times. Roger voice at times is comical and have bust out laughing sometimes. However, I like the songs Warfare and You Can't Stop It. I had Human Sacrifice and I found that one a bit weak. I find the production is thin and the drums are not mixed well, kind of like a pitter patter and not punchy enough - kind of like the way the drums are mixed on some of the Rush albums. I like the Die Happy Albums and have all 3 which is the same band without Roger. They left after the second or third Vengeance album - I can't remember. The first Die Happy albums is good but is a head scratcher. Is it thrash or a mix of 70s Hard Rock mixed with Thrash and Speed metal? I must ponder that for a while hen I listen to the album again. i had a friend who had the Once Dead cassette.

The band I'm most likely to purchase their albums I think would be Vengeance. After hearing Warfare (I head this one before) and You Can't Stop It I may revisit this band. i'm listening to Herod's Violent Death while typing this sentence.
For Human Sacrifice the First Mix edition changes your issues. I can send you some samples if you want to PM me.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:14 pm

My list that I just cant get into are:

BtA
AOR as a genre
and I agree with you on:

Bride and Tourniquet for the most part.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:37 pm

mothy wrote:My list that I just cant get into are:

BtA
AOR as a genre
and I agree with you on:

Which TQT songs do you like?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:38 pm

Temple of Blood, there are too many favorite albums to mention. Some of my favorite bands are:
Angelica
Bloodgood/Les Carlson
Barren Cross
Daniel Band
Deliverance
Die Happy/Red Sea
Fear Not
Holy Soldier
Impellitteri
Jerusalem
Joshua
Leviticus
Messiah Prophet
Narnia and Christian's related projects like Modest Attraction. 
Petra/Classic Patra
Rez
Stryper
Saint
Sacred Warrior
Ken Tamplin/Shout
Whitecross
X-Sinner
Dream Theater 

As you can tell, I like mostly from Melodic Hard Rock to Power Metal with a little Thrashy/Speed Metal. I'm open to expand my collection to styles close to what I currently have such as exploring more Speed/Trash oriented bands. Also exploring more 70s/early 80s bluesy Rock/Hard Rock like Darrell Mansfield and Modest Attraction which I added to my collection over the past year.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
mothy wrote:My list that I just cant get into are:

BtA
AOR as a genre
and I agree with you on:

Which TQT songs do you like?
I like a decent portion of Psycho Surgery ( the songs without the King Diamond like vocals) and a little of Pathological but thats it.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:20 pm

I’m finding that I’m liking bands that I didn’t care for back in my twenties and thirties … my tastes are changing … maybe maturing? I’m still a metal head (Thrash, Power, classic, and a bit of death and doom) but I’m definitely enjoying some mellower music as well.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th, ChristianDeathMetal and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:28 pm

TBH, I never could get into Vengeance - Human Sacrifice…but I learned from this forum about their First Mix edition of Human Sacrifice and that fixed my issues with them. I totally love that version and since then I’ve come to embrace and love most of their other albums.
I also could not listen to Deliverance - Camelot In Smithereens. I’m a big Deliverance fan but just couldn’t get into it. However, since Jimmy did the Redux last year, it has become one of my favorites.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:29 pm

I only like Whiteheart from Freedom on. I agree about VR and I like some gnarly vocals.
I don't hate Narnia but it doesn't grab me either, except for the one without Christian on vocals.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

mothy and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Wind Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:57 pm

I love Bride but somehow I can't get into their most famous album, Snakes in the Playground. And I also don't care about scarecrow messiah, as well.
Of course, I am a huge fan of the first three album, but also a fan of modern era( this is it and skin for skin). Also love oddities from 98.

I am not familiar with their recent releases, though.

Second Wind
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:08 pm

I have Bride "Show No Mercy," "Live to Die," and "Snakes in the Playground." I don't like any of them. I haven't liked anything I've heard from the new material. I'm not sure why I don't get it but I have no interest. They're definitely a legendary band. My pocketbook is happy about that I suppose.

Vengeance Rising - I only enjoy Human Sacrifice. I've tried to listen to the other albums and always feel like I should enjoy them. I like so many similar bands.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:14 pm

https://thecmr.forumotion.com/t12882-albums-bands-you-dont-get?highlight=albums

Note: I've changed my views on some of this from when I posted them. For example, lately I've been able to move past Roger's vox more and more and am really enjoying the Vengeance Rising catalog.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:23 pm

Bands/albums that others with similar taste seem to love where I don't: (nobody cares that I don't like jazz, right?)

Antestor -- The Return of the Black Death
I love the band before and after, but maybe 2 tracks on here that I enjoy. 

Believer -- Sanity Obscure
People are nuts for it, I love Extraction? Idk.

Betrayal -- The Passing
LOVE RbD (yeah, don't want to try to spell that first word). This one not really at all, but seems to be the consensus favorite.

Crowned in Sorrow -- In Memorium
Which reminds me, I need to grab some Blood Thirsty, which sounds awesome from what I've heard.

Drottnar -- most everything I've heard. It's incredible, but I cannot find any pleasure in it.

Djent as a "genre" if it's a genre. I like some bands/songs that use some "djent-y" elements, but it's like hot peppers. That's cool if there's some hot peppers in my food, but I don't really care for a whole bowl of hot peppers.

Impending Doom -- I like some of their stuff (Serpant Servent is my favorite), but for a supposed leading band in their space, I'm pretty lukewarm.

Krig -- what I've heard was just so forgettable, but people seem to really love them.

Seventh Angel -- Lament for the Weary
Again, love The Torment and even The Dust of Years. Maybe 2 tracks on here that I like, but poeple seem to love it.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:34 pm

This thread is bothering me greatly!
Among other reasons....my name is Scott Douglas!!! 😲😲

Narnia - I've tried a dozen times.

Most of Petra ( with some exceptions)

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:58 pm

I realized Pethead started a thread called Albums/Bands you Don't Get. My thread is more about you recognize the importance of certain bands and their influence  in Christian Music History and you try to like them and you really want to but you only like a few songs not enough to buy any albums. You revisit them several times over the years and they don't grab you. Or there are certain albums from you favorite bands that are the same thing - revisit them several times over the years and they don't grab you.

My opinion has changed in recent years with bands like Leviticus, Narnia, Die Happy and others. That's why I'm open to the few bands I mentioned above - Bride, Tourniquet and Vengeance. I can't say I would never buy their albums and I can't say I will. 

On a similar note, I get why people don't like Stryper and they are my favorite band. Sometimes Michael Sweet do sound feminine on songs like First Love or like his belt is too tight. You have to realize though that is his natural voice. 

I get the bands/albums mentioned which is different from what Pethead intended from his thread as far as I know.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:42 am

Just thought of two that everyone seems to love, but they aren't christian bands. But they are big and loved by most metal heads (at least that's the impression I get). I tried liking their music but just can't even trick myself into pretending I like them.

The first band is Meshuggah. I know, they are all very clever with poly Rhythms and are Pioneers of the genre known as, Djent. But being technical does not make it good music. To my ears it sounds like sludge and not good sludge, but more like a flat tire. Yeah that's it, it sounds like a flat tire going round and round in the mud. Not a lot to it.

The other one is Lamb Of God. Like a Pantera wanna be compressed so tight the guitars are paper thin. The vocals are a thin rasp. Yet, most metal heads rate these two bands highly... Don't get it...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Frozen Fire, ChristianDeathMetal and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:32 am

I’ve said it before, but for me one album that I’ve never gotten into as much as others is To Hell with the Devil. I like it, but I don’t think it’s near as strong as Soldiers or IGWT. If you want Stryper at their more metallic, Soldiers is your album. If you want them at their catchiest and most melodic, IGWT is unbeatable. THwtD neither rocks as hard as Soldiers, nor is it as hooky as IGWT.

Narnia is another one that’s never grabbed me, partly because I had trouble getting into Christian’s voice. However, I loved Flames of Fire from last year, so I think it might just be that I’m not big on Christian’s voice for Narnia’s sound.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, bigtreads, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:19 am

AGL is Stryper's best musically of the early years followed by Soldiers. IGWT is too poppy for me.

Last edited by Black Rider on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:21 am

Black Rider wrote:AGL is Stryper's best musically of the early years followed by Soldiers. I GET is too poppy for me.
AtL has some of their best songs easily, but it’s a little inconsistent to me. I do like the incorporation of more Van Halen stylings.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:28 am

I don't get most extreme forms of metal.  I don't like the abrasiveness of it and especially the vocal styles.

As for bands, I have listened on several occasions but can't get into Theocracy.  I also couldn't get into the latest Trytan album.

I love Rose, but can't stand "Crazy Little World".  Also, I love Mad At The World but I only love "Seasons Of Love" through "Ferris Wheel".  I don't want to hear their new wave stuff or the jangly alternative "Dreamland Cafe".  If they ever do another rock album, I'm in.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:58 pm

For Black Rider, I’ll once again say that I hated the latest album from The Brave.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:58 pm

I've tried numerous times to get into Testament, but they keep telling me they don't need another vocalist or guitarist or anything else.
The last time was the worst. I showed up to jam and Chuck Billy personally removed me from the premises. Now they have a restraining order against me. 
If the whole experience has taught me anything, it's that I'll have to wear a disguise next time.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, ChristianDeathMetal and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:05 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:I've tried numerous times to get into Testament, but they keep telling me they don't need another vocalist or guitarist or anything else.
The last time was the worst. I showed up to jam and Chuck Billy personally removed me from the premises. Now they have a restraining order against me. 
If the whole experience has taught me anything, it's that I'll have to wear a disguise next time.
I prefer Testamints:

Bands or albums you can't get into... K294?$PDP_VIEWER_IMAGE$
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:14 pm

Extol
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next