The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions

+24
Grindboy
Follower of Jesus
Raegoul
alldatndensum
Friday13th
ThomasEversole
petrafan007
Dustofyears
TZ75
mothy
Superjuice
Temple of Blood
Frozen Fire
My Awesome Timothy
Black Rider
Kerrick
Constantine
Airola
crucifyd
MagnusPrime
eatbugs
BaleMaster
bodachi
Pethead
28 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions - Page 4 Empty Re: Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm

I really liked Shadow Wings.
Siloam was a criminally underrated band.
Paul Jackson Bloodgood > Zaffiro Bloodgood
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, alldatndensum and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions - Page 4 Empty Re: Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions

Post by Constantine Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 pm

I remember Shadow Wings... Do you have the name of their album or a link to it? They were pretty obscure.

Siloam's 2nd album "Dying To Live" was excellent.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:Paul Jackson Bloodgood > Zaffiro Bloodgood
Oh man, I can’t agree with this. Detonation and Rock in a Hard Place are my favorite Bloodgood albums. I do love Out of the Darkness, Dangerously Close grew on me to the point that I really like it, and All Stand Together is pretty good, but there’s something about Detonation and RiaHP that I find more exciting and compelling. I like everything they’ve ever done, though.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

BaleMaster and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:21 pm

The Crucified's S/T album isn't even thrash.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:42 pm

That’s why my opinion is unpopular! My impression when I hear Barren Cross is “lame Maiden knockoff” but obviously there are distinctives. Nothing against people who like Barren Cross. When I hear Saint I’m like “awesome Judas Priest sounding band!” It’s not supposed to make sense, it’s just my own slight bias towards Priest and how the songs hit me, etc. I think Kinetic-Snakes era Bride is like Guns N Roses but just as good imo, the songs are strong, catchy and convincing.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Black Rider wrote:The Crucified's S/T album isn't even thrash.
Agreed on this. The Crucified evolved to thrash during his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Hot take: Carey "Kosher" Womack has actually a great voice, in his best moments getting close to a hoarse Billy Idol.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Black Rider wrote:The Crucified's S/T album isn't even thrash.

I can hear some Slayer and Metallica (Kill ‘Em All) influence on it. And there is a lot of double bass drums (which punk isn’t known for). The only obvious punk element was the vocals. 

They were the definition of “crossover” thrash.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:24 pm

Does Crucified need classification? All I know is they were phenomenal and gone too soon. And I'm pretty sure that last sentence is not "unorthodox".
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 pm

bodachi wrote:Does Crucified need classification? All I know is they were phenomenal and gone too soon. And I'm pretty sure that last sentence is not "unorthodox".

I was just commenting on Black Rider’s “unorthodox” opinion. 

Most people agree that they are crossover thrash. Crossover is equal parts punk and thrash. 

Even the definition of thrash is mixing NWOBHM with the speed and aggression of punk. So the crossover sub-genre just underlined that aspect.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Suicidal also had "clear" vocals. Does not make it less thrash in my book.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Raegoul wrote:Suicidal also had "clear" vocals. Does not make it less thrash in my book.

I agree! 

While we’re at it... does Joey Belladonna’s clean and polished vocals make Anthrax not thrash? Maybe they were just “speed metal” like Deliverance. Lol

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm

To be fair though...
Suicidal had both clear and shouted vocals. Mike Muir also used a talking voice on certain songs. He isn’t one dimensional.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:02 pm

Unorthodox Christian Metal Opinions - Page 4 Eatingpopcorn
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:57 pm

All right, I'll go.

If But for One was all right, but Detritus Perpetual Defiance was unlistenable.  I guess I like the song "Taste the Blood," but even in high school and starving for anything I could get my hands on, I hated it.

I love The Torment and plenty of Ian Arkley projects, but Lament for the Weary, IMO, was always boring songs and annoying production.  I'm always surprised by all the love for this album.

Sounds like I'm one of the significant minority who likes The Crucified s/t more than Pillars.  I'll go further though, and say that I never thought Pillars was anything above average.

Tourniquet is a fine band with some great songs (and plenty that I don't care for at all).  Beyond that, I have no particular opinion on lineup preferences or Ted's life.  

Full respect in many ways to Living Sacrifice, and they're deserving of their status as legends of the scene.  But the only albums that I think are really above average are Inhabit and Conceived in Fire (and the "new "tracks from In Memorium).  Maybe my favorite LS album is the old Clenchedfist Records tribute album, where at least half of the tributes outdid the originals.

Cornerstone was more misery than joy.  I attended three times before I could admit this to myself, because I was supposed to think it was awesome.  And it kind of was, but still not enough to make me miss it.

This is all about old bands, but I guess I'm not sure what would be considered unorthodox about newer bands.  Nobody ever argues about newer bands, that I see at least.  Maybe it's just this board, we're all old.

This is general, but I think hardcore and metalcore offer tons of great bands.  Sure, there's a lot of generic and derivative, but there are a lot of wonderful bands as well.  

I hope none of the above comes off as negative, they're just my opinions.  This may be the most controversial thing I'll type, but I think it's possible -- even desirous -- to be kind on-line, even on message boards.  I won't fight you about this, though.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Grindboy wrote:
I love The Torment and plenty of Ian Arkley projects, but Lament for the Weary, IMO, was always boring songs and annoying production.  I'm always surprised by all the love for this album.
I probably like Lament better than you do, but I also find it overrated. The Torment is what I go for when I want to hear SA.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Pethead wrote:
Grindboy wrote:
I probably like Lament better than you do, but I also find it overrated. The Torment is what I go for when I want to hear SA.

I like the overall production on Lament for the Weary except for the lead guitar mix. It’s too freaking loud! The levels are out of wack. It’s the same problem I have for Born Again by Black Sabbath.

Keep in mind that Ian Arkley was going for a more “doomy” sound on Lament. The Torment was closer to traditional thrash like Testament.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Both of the Crucified albums are about a dead-even tie for me. I bought them both around the same time in early ‘91, and I love them both the same. I do think the vocals are better on the self-titled album... but I also love the heavier Pantera style guitar on Pillars.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelpz27 Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 am

I'll give it a shot...

Mortifications mid/late albums are excellent (hence the avatar), and I return to Silver Cord is Severed at least once a year. 

Metalcore is a worthy genre, if nothing else for the breakdowns/rhythms alone. For Today and Demon Hunter are some of the best Christian metal bands ever.

Cannot get into any of Stryper's new stuff after Against the law... not entirely sure why. 

Divinefire > Narnia
Joelpz27
Joelpz27
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:46 am

I consider The Crucified's S/T album to be solidly in the hardcore camp and Pillars crossed into the thrash crossover realm. Meh, just my dump opinion.  Very Happy
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, crucifyd and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:I really liked Shadow Wings.
Siloam was a criminally underrated band.
Paul Jackson Bloodgood > Zaffiro Bloodgood

Absolutely, FOJ!

I thing Shadow Wings could have been bigger if the lady singer had carried the vocals.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Aside from Weapons, which is awesome, Deliverance’s best stuff is from Stay of Execution on.

While I would never say they’re a better band, I prefer Saint’s catalogue overall to Judas Priest’s.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Pethead wrote:Aside from Weapons, which is awesome, Deliverance’s best stuff is from Stay of Execution on.
Take Deliverance self titled, listen to Jehovah Jireh and then tell me if you still uphold this opinion.  Razz
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Raegoul wrote:
Pethead wrote:Aside from Weapons, which is awesome, Deliverance’s best stuff is from Stay of Execution on.
Take Deliverance self titled, listen to Jehovah Jireh and then tell me if you still uphold this opinion.  Razz
Heard it many times. I like it, but I think their debut is one of their weaker albums. The riffs blend together too much until you get to the last two songs. Weapons, however, is awesome.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Raegoul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:32 am

Mortification:

S/T is better then Scrolls. I love Scrolls but Mick C's play style fits with the S/T music style better so it makes it a stronger record. 

Post Momentary is their best album overall.

EnVision Evangelene is their most complete sound from start to finish.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next