The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

+14
jononation
Constantine
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
mothy
bgsully
Opeth3232
strangerhoncho
Temple of Blood
Black Rider
cailen
TZ75
average joe
My Awesome Timothy
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands - Page 4 Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:45 pm

Constantine wrote:Also, who is DeadXheaD?   

A thrash band formed by 2 members of a Megadeth forum.

They sound really good. 

I enjoy their album but wish the production was better.

Are they Christian?

No.  Just rebutting the idea that cloning "Rust in Peace" is beyond human's reach.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands - Page 4 Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Frozen Fire wrote:Thrash has suffered the same way many genres have. When it is growing up it innovates and shows great diversity. There is no concrete blueprint.

Pretty much every thrash band in the 80s was influenced by Metallica (and/or Exodus/Slayer) to some degree, so that is in itself a blueprint.

Temple of Blood

As time goes on the older bands repeat themselves, fall into mediocrity, go beyond the genre, lose their way or disappear before they come to those things. Some of these bands that never fell away just fell too early and are held in regard like they remained true. It's a rare band that sticks to their guns all the way through. A personal secular favorite was Overkill. They stretched out all along the way, especially in the 90s, but never really lost the hunger nor completely lost their sound. When they "came back" in the 2000's they kept the fire. That's exceedingly rare in the thrash world or really in any genre that falls out of favor.

Are you citing Overkill as an example of an exceedingly original-sounding band?  They were HEAVILY influenced by Metallica, which their former drummer Rat Skates got sick of and their original guitarist even tried to look like Hetfield!

Overkill to me hasn't written an outstanding song in decades.  They weren't very good after they lost the Gant/Cannavino guitar team IMHO.

On the new generation... the new generation comes up, often just learning their instruments but raised on the classics, the blueprint, and they try to put a spin on the classic mold or repeat it. It never works the same. They end up only emulating the most common genre tropes.

This is no different than thrash bands in the 80s.

On one hand we can see why, nobody is capable of recreating those albums

I think they could if they wanted to, like Gruesome did with Death.  But why?  Better to put your own spin on it.

and with certain albums like Rust In Peace it is because it's beyond human reach.

Nah.  Only Marty's solos would be the most difficult to emulate, or the production values.  TONS of folks have covered those songs, including my own band so a lot of people could play the material.  There are bands who write songs in the style of Rush so I don't see how this would be impossible to clone if someone really wanted to for some weird reason.

Check this out BTW:

In other cases nobody tries to recreate Testament "Practice What You Preach" because (though the playing their is stellar as well) it really isn't considered a genre-wide classic, though the band is highly regarded.

It's because a lot of aspects to that album haven't aged well, besides the guitar solos.  How many songs from that album do Testament even play live?  Mostly just the title track.  Even the band themselves moved on from it.  It sold a ton IMHO because of the hype carrying over from the previous two albums that were much better albums overall.

Even more so, nobody is going to emulate Anthrax "State of Euphoria" because it's noted as weak effort in Anthrax's career and Joey's vocals aren't consider "the right style" for thrash. Anthrax themselves don't really have clones.

Intruder get pretty close.

The fact is, bands just don't try something new.

Sure they do.  Ritual Servant don't really sound like Slayer, except for a bit here and there.  Extol - Synergy is unique.  

My own band has been accused in the past of being a "clone"/"rip-off" of the following bands:
Manilla Road
Slayer
Helloween / Gamma Ray

Notice how those bands don't actually sound alike?

Bottom line is that we have a TON of metal influences and have no desire to rip off any artist and certainly not close a single band.  There is no band that I look up to enough to do that.  I doubt we're alone in that regard.

I think if you're honest with yourself, you'll see that your favorite 80s thrash bands are just as much a "rip-off" of genre leaders of the day as current bands are.

It's easier to be like Slayer, Metallica, Kreator because in some sense it's easier and more acceptable for a new band. Every once in a while a band tries something different by sounding like Forbidden or Voivod or D.R.I. but they're just going down the path less trod.

You sound like you're contradicting yourself here.  You sound like you're lamenting that these bands/albums don't have clones, and then you say even when people do "clone" other lesser-known thrash bands they're "just going down the path less trod".  So are you looking for clones or not?  If not, why do you keep mentioning it?

Unfortunately, because of these things I've rarely found any good new thrash bands. Many of them are already mentioned in this thread but I'd rather go back and listen to Wargasm, Evildead, Tankard, Powermad, Helstar, Sacrifice, etc. because though they were B, C and D list bands

The first Wargasm album was really good, and original, but the vocalist was just way too boring and mediocre for them to become something much bigger than a local act or something only hardcore thrashers like myself could enjoy.

Evildead and Tankard I never thought were any good.  I thought that Rise album was far better and more interesting than Evildead.

I love Helstar a ton, but be honest, where would this band be without the music of Yngwie Malmsteen?

Powermad had one good album 30 years ago.  I feel they got lucky with that one though.

Sacrifice aren't all that hot IMHO.  In fact, I'd bet that Believer's biggest influence during their thrash-era was this band and they surpassed their mentors.  I say this also as someone who is not Believer's biggest fan.

they came from an era where bands just sounded different by nature.

They still do, just as much so.  

Sorry for the curmudgeonly post. I really do love thrash but coming from the secular scene it is the style I miss most in the Christian scene. Not much to offer. Even the classic aren't all that great in most cases.

Well, hopefully you'll check out our upcoming album and you can tell me who we're "cloning".  Wink

Really interesting comments. Too many things within my post were misunderstood. I'll, rather than just apologizing for being curmudgeonly, also apologize for being unclear.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 am

Regarding Mad Dragzter. That’s it! They are the modern thrash band that can hold their own with the classics. Forgot about Master of Space and Time! In fact, it’s the best produced Christian Thrash album ever made, and it’s not even close. It sounded like a legitimate big budget project produced  by Andy Sneap or something.. Super polished! Additionally, it has the best art work of any Christian Thrash release. Again, it’s not even close. That drawing is a spectacular thrash cover. The only thing that prevents that album from possibly surpassing the classics, not just competing with them, is the accent. Obviously, it’s outside of the vocalist’s control, but It just takes away from the overall a bit for me. 

That said, the same could be said for Mashiaj. Really good groove-laden head-banger that could compete with the classics if the vocalist could sing in English. Amazingly, I even find it enjoyable having no clue what the vocalist is saying. For me, those are the two modern releases that although flawed due to language limitations, easily did the best job of competing with the classics, particularly Mad Dragzter. They have the follow-up to Master of Space and Time already written and it’s their M.O. to disappear for a while before suddenly returning with a new album. Hoping that’s the case for the follow-up.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am

Frozen Fire wrote:Really interesting comments. Too many things within my post were misunderstood. I'll, rather than just apologizing for being curmudgeonly, also apologize for being unclear.

You don't need to apologize for anything! I just like talking about thrash. I don't actually expect most people to agree with me. Wink
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am

average joe wrote: In fact, it’s the best produced Christian Thrash album ever made, and it’s not even close. It sounded like a legitimate big budget project produced  by Andy Sneap or something.. Super polished!

Agreed with that, except that I think the production is BETTER than Andy Sneap.  I think Sneap is way overrated and uses the same production on everything.  So many engineers try to sound like him too, I'm so tired of it.

I reached out to the mixing/mastering team from that album to see if I could work with them on the new ToB release. We'll see ...

Additionally, it has the best art work of any Christian Thrash release. Again, it’s not even close. That drawing is a spectacular thrash cover.

I think it's really good too, but I like painted covers a lot more than ones drawn by comic-book artists.

The only thing that prevents that album from possibly surpassing the classics, not just competing with them, is the accent. Obviously, it’s outside of the vocalist’s control, but It just takes away from the overall a bit for me. 

It doesn't bother me at all.  I just wish the guitar/vocal hooks were more distinct.

That said, the same could be said for Mashiaj. Really good groove-laden head-banger that could compete with the classics if the vocalist could sing in English.

Yeah, that's a good one.  In fact, I should've remembered to put it on my list.  Interesting how the more we discuss this topic the bigger the list gets!  Maybe the modern thrash scene is better than we remember?

"Vomitivo" is a great headbang-inducing release.  It was obviously crafted for the live environment.  I can only imagine how fun it would be to hear this band play these songs live.

I also think the production in this release is really good, obviously trying for a different approach than Mad Dragzter but also very effective.

They have the follow-up to Master of Space and Time already written and it’s their M.O. to disappear for a while before suddenly returning with a new album. Hoping that’s the case for the follow-up.

Let's hope so!

It's a really bad sign that their Facebook page and official homepages are both down though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I reached out to the mixing/mastering team from that album to see if I could work with them on the new ToB release.  We'll see ...

That would be awesome and very smart on your part!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 pm

If you're into Destruction-styled or old Kreator-styled thrash, you all might really enjoy

Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm

I was going to ask why we hadn't mentioned Supresion. Great riffs on that album. I dig the Roger Martinez tribute vocals.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Son of Nun wrote:I was going to ask why we hadn't mentioned Supresion. Great riffs on that album. I dig the Roger Martinez tribute vocals.

They also remind me of David DiSanto of Vektor at times.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 pm

I'll have to find time someday to re-upload Julgamento's album "Conflito Internal" to Youtube. I got their Ep years ago from a defunct label but now all their youtube videos are gone.

This is all I could find:

https://soundcloud.com/martyrdom_records/julgamento-guerra-espiritual

There were some great tracks on it. I was sucker for the guitar sound.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:18 am

Well, there is mumble rap and there is apparently mumble thrash with Supresuon. “Roger Martinez tribute vocals.” Enough said. The vocals kill it for me. Enunciate!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

mothy and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:12 pm

Obviously not new but they are recording new stuff last I saw. Where would you rate these guys.

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I didn't include EPs in my original list (that now needs updating).

But I do enjoy this EP.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Sheer looks alone this band looks promising, but I can find NOTHING on them. Mysopace wont play music, last fm has their stuff but I cant playit too.

Anyone remember hearing about them:

Fallen Walls
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:23 pm

mothy is the one person I've met in all my years who searches harder for music than I do. Smile
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:34 pm

LOL benefit of an IT deskjob I guess. That and I have music ADHD  Very Happy
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:36 pm

THis also seems to have "thrash" vibes to . Maybe mire like Antithesis's power/thrash.

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 pm

mothy wrote:Sheer looks alone this band looks promising, but I can find NOTHING on them. Mysopace wont play music, last fm has their stuff but I cant playit too.

Fallen Walls

I bought the disc from Roxx on a whim just based on the description, had never heard them. it kind of fell through the cracks and I never gave it a really good listen but it seems like I remember thinking what I had listened to wasn't bad for a blind buy...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am

crucifyd wrote:
mothy wrote:Sheer looks alone this band looks promising, but I can find NOTHING on them. Mysopace wont play music, last fm has their stuff but I cant playit too.

Fallen Walls

I bought the disc from Roxx on a whim just based on the description, had never heard them. it kind of fell through the cracks and I never gave it a really good listen but it seems like I remember thinking what I had listened to wasn't bad for a blind buy...
Any chance you still have it and could post a clip or 2, kind of wondering what it sounded like?
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 am

New Demolish clip:

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands - Page 4 Story

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4