The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

+14
jononation
Constantine
Son of Nun
Dustofyears
mothy
bgsully
Opeth3232
strangerhoncho
Temple of Blood
Black Rider
cailen
TZ75
average joe
My Awesome Timothy
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by average joe Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Temple of Blood:

“How to describe the new songs … they are definitely heavier musically, vocally, and drumically (new word).”

Can’t wait to hear the new vocal approach. That will make it or break it for me.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Thrash Bands v Modern Thrash Bands

Post by bgsully Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:27 am

average joe wrote:

I need to revisit these guys!
Whoa! How did I miss these guys. Great stuff.
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://faustianslip.bandcamp.com

Temple of Blood, mothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:59 am

Thats great stuff^^^
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Believer
Tourniquet
vengeance rising
crucified
seventh angel
LS (first album)
deliverance
Mort's first album (excluding the vocals is really a heavy thrash album with doom riffs sprinkled in there)
detritus
Sacrament

All the staples I suppose, the cream of the crop.

I have only heard a little of temple of blood and they are very good from I have heard so far. As for the rest of the modern stuff, I haven't heard any of it.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:30 am

The modern bands can´t accomplish, what the classic bands have created.

Modern thrash bands usually can't replicate the originals, because the times have passed.

I strongly disagree with this, unless you change the word "can't" to "don't".

They can, but they just don't do it, for a number of reasons that I could write a book about.

Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:19 pm

I've been wanting to bump this thread for awhile, but I can't get my lists together. It's hard to rank them, especially when I don't think I've really spent enough time with some of the albums.

I really enjoy the modern Christian Thrash bands, especially the ones coming out of Latin America. Though I do agree that I have, at the moment, not seen the kind of creativity that produced "Stop the Bleeding" or "The Torment."
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:32 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Though I do agree that I have, at the moment, not seen the kind of creativity that produced "Stop the Bleeding"

Well, in all fairness, that band never topped that release themselves either.

Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:59 pm

POD is so much better.  Very Happy
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am

I would say Sacrament Haunts of Violence was the last classic thrash album made way back in 1992. No modern releases have rivaled the last classic thrash release from almost 30 years ago. That’s pretty amazing when you think about it! What an opportunity for a modern thrash band to step up and do thrash as well, or better.

Actually, Detritus If But For One and Beyrayal The Passing released in 1993 were the last, as they were released the following year. The closest thing to a modern classic thrash classic would happen just two years later in Teramaze Doxology, but it just contains hints of thrash and is not really thrash enough to be considered a modern thrash release/classic, rather a modern progressive metal release with thrash leanings.

If Meliah Rage Masqeurade released in 2009 is considered a Christian release because of the vocalist/lyrics, then I would say it was the best attempt and is the most recent modern release to rival the classics. Personally, although power thrash, I would say it’s thrash enough to fall in the thrash category.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 pm

Black Rider wrote:POD is so much better.  Very Happy

Seriously? In some ways I can see that. The production sounds more polished. I just don't the songs are consistently as strong.

Now if you said Psycho Surgery I'd really disagree!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:Though I do agree that I have, at the moment, not seen the kind of creativity that produced "Stop the Bleeding"

Well, in all fairness, that band never topped that release themselves either.

That's true, Stop the Bleeding is by far their best album. I was just using it as an example of the creativity of some bands in the early Christian Thrash scene. I'm not sure if there's a modern Christian Thrash band that has one album that creative and unique. There are a lot of solid new albums but less boundary pushing.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:28 pm

average joe wrote:I would say Sacrament Haunts of Violence was the last classic thrash album made way back in 1992. No modern releases have rivaled the last classic thrash release from almost 30 years ago. That’s pretty amazing when you think about it! What an opportunity for a modern thrash band to step up and do thrash as well, or better.

Actually, Detritus If But For One and Beyrayal The Passing released in 1993 were the last, as they were released the following year. The closest thing to a modern classic thrash classic would happen just two years later in Teramaze Doxology, but it just contains hints of thrash and is not really thrash enough to be considered a modern thrash release/classic, rather a modern progressive metal release with thrash leanings.

If Meliah Rage Masqeurade released in 2009 is considered a Christian release because of the vocalist/lyrics, then I would say it was the best attempt and is the most recent modern release to rival the classics. Personally, although power thrash, I would say it’s thrash enough to fall in the thrash category.

Well, like I've said before I consider the first two Antithesis albums to be thrash (or power/thrash) and I think they're excellent, especially the debut. I think they're clearly a lot thrashier than that Meliah Rage album although I like it IIRC. I don't recall Doxology being very thrashy but I'll revisit it soon since it's been remastered.

I think there are a lot of Christian thrash albums since the heyday better than "If But for One", "Haunts of Violence", and "The Passing".

I also think older releases like most anything by Believer, most anything by The Crucified, Psycho Surgery, anything by Detritus, and The Torment are WAY overrated and have been easily topped since their release. Some people I think just have feelings of nostalgia for those releases IMHO, not to say that I don't enjoy them at all though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Antithesis more thrashy?

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I think there are a lot of Christian thrash albums since the heyday better than "If But for One", "Haunts of Violence", and "The Passing".

I also think older releases like most anything by Believer, most anything by The Crucified, Psycho Surgery, anything by Detritus, and The Torment are WAY overrated and have been easily topped since their release.  Some people I think just have feelings of nostalgia for those releases IMHO, not to say that I don't enjoy them at all though.

I agree that there are modern Christian Thrash albums better than some from the classic era. I agree about Detritus and The Crucified. I don't agree on "The Torment" and Believer though. I think Seventh Angel's melding of Doom with Thrash works really well and I adore the atmospheric elements on songs like "The Charmer" and "I of the Needle." Believer has been more of an acquired taste for me and has taken many listens but my appreciation has grown over time for each of the first three albums (especially Dimensions).

I do tend look up to the classic artists but I'm also a young guy that was just a kid when this stuff was coming out so it's not really about nostalgia for me. In other words, I'm probably a little more inclined to give a classic the benefit of the doubt, but I haven't known of these albums for all that long and so they also have to actually be really good or I won't care (ala Detritus).
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:06 pm

average joe wrote:

Antithesis more thrashy?

No, you're right this song at least is thrashier, and I like it quite a bit. I don't think musically it is any better or more creative than what Antithesis were doing though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Pretty thrashy for progressive metal, no? Vocalist was like a mix of Mustaine and Sabastian Bach with some of the songs likely able to fit on an early Tourniquet album.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm not trying to say that I don't like all those classic thrash albums that I listed, simply that I don't think they are as untouchable as has been said.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm

I sold my Antithesis CD 💿, I just couldn’t get into it.  🤣
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:10 pm

I could not really get into Antithesis either. 

Also, I was happy to see that Mike Munro had become a Christian and sang on the Meliah Rage "Masquerade" album.  
But I just was not too impressed with the album except for a few songs.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:17 pm

My bassist is also not into Antithesis although I don't understand why.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm

My Awesome Timothy wrote:I sold my Antithesis CD 💿, I just couldn’t get into it.  🤣

Which one? You could get good money for the debut I bet because it's pretty rare these days.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Where does Ultimatum fit on the classic/modern spectrum? Demo in 1993 and first album in 1995.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:23 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Where does Ultimatum fit on the classic/modern spectrum? Demo in 1993 and first album in 1995.

I'd characterize them as a modern thrash band.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jononation Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:34 am

This conversation is awesome. I love Christian Thrash from the 80s/90s. But I haven't checked out the more modern incarnations. Definitely going to do that now. I wonder how they'll measure up, in my opinion, to the classics?
jononation
jononation
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:03 am

jononation wrote:This conversation is awesome. I love Christian Thrash from the 80s/90s. But I haven't checked out the more modern incarnations. Definitely going to do that now. I wonder how they'll measure up, in my opinion, to the classics?

Check these bands out and let us know! I love talking thrash.

My band has a new album coming out this year hopefully but in the meantime this is probably the best place to hear our material:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj649_tzcvvAhXFGs0KHZy_C98QFjAAegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftempleofblood.bandcamp.com%2Falbum%2Foverlord-remastered&usg=AOvVaw3LgfsJ3qpOJhEwLxTGB4oe
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next