The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ken Tamplin discussion...

+9
TZ75
New Creation
Black Rider
eatbugs
alldatndensum
Follower of Jesus
crucifyd
Hardcore Christian
Soldier777
13 posters

Go down

Ken Tamplin discussion... Empty Ken Tamplin discussion...

Post by Soldier777 Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm sure Ken Tamplin has been discussed here before. Many of us are familiar with him and the various projects he has work on with others and as a solo artists. Besides being involved in albums as a minor/significant collaborator on projects like TV, movies and commercial music, he has been involved in projects like Joshua, Angelica and Make Me Your Voice volumes 1, 2 and 3 to raise money for relief for Sudan. His own discography is:

Shout:
It Won't Be Long 1988
In Your Face 1989
At the Top OF their Lungs (compilation under the name Shout/Tamplin with songs from Shout and his solo work with 2 previously unreleased tracks) 1992
Back 1999

Magdallan (I originally thought  back in 1992 this was a continuation of Shout under a different name but this was a separate super group):
Big Bang 1992
End of the Age 1999

Solo:

An Axe to Grind 1990
Soul Survivor 1991
Tamplin 1993
Goin' Home (compilation with no unreleased songs) 1993
In The Witness Box 1995
We The People 1995
Weird Odds and Ends 1996
Liquid Music (compilation with songs from Shout, Magdallan and his solo work with 2 previously unreleased tracks) 1997
Colors of Christmas 1997
Where Love Is 1998/2001
Brave Days of Old (compilation with songs from Shout, Magdallan and his solo work with a cover of Freeride) 1999
Wake The Nations 2003

I have all of the above CDs except for Goin' Home, Weird Odds and Ends Where Love Is and the Colors of Christmas is on order. I remember the working title of an album was going to be When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth back in the late 1990's but it was never released or was released and called something else like Wake The Nations I think. The title sounds like it was going to be a rocker. Ken was also going to release a covers CD called Cover 2 Cover around 2008 but it was never released. He also did a project with Greg X called Dream and I heard samples and is quite good. I think it's only available as a download. Ken sang on these tracks. I don't know why he didn't release this under his own name. Was this ever released on CD?

These downloads are pop, rock and metal covers and hymns:
Got You Covered volumes 1-6
How Sweet the Sound Beautiful Hymns
Then Sings My Soul
Superstar Medleys (contains 3 medleys of various songs)
Ballads of Ken Tamplin (contains 9 songs from his previous recordings and the unreleased track Still a Mystery)

I'm not really interested in any of these downloads except for the track Still a Mystery.

Ken seems to be modest/humble. I noticed this when he sang Soldiers Under Command as one of his vocal academy covers. He said that he doesn't have the same range as Michael Sweet. I always thought he did. I figured him, Rob Rock and Michal Sweet were similar in talent for singing and song writing. Also, earlier in his career he was known for his hard rock classics but has released a considerable amount of rock/pop/adult contemporary well. I prefer his harder stuff but the other styles he does are quite good as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Soldier777 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Ken Tamplin discussion... Empty Re: Ken Tamplin discussion...

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Love Magdallan!

Wish they made more than just those 2 albums
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 am

these are also by Magdallen after the name change(?) to Magdalen...

Magdalen - Revolution Mind (1993)
Magdalen - The Dirt (1994)
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:21 am

Yes Ken was only on Big Bang, not Revolution Mind

I only knew about those two?

Wasn't End Of The Age a compilation of some sorts?

I had no idea that they released a third album
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 am

I had to unconfuse myself

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/magdallen.htm

I was right about those 3 being the only original material, just had no idea there was a third release
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 am

One of my absolute favorite singers. He sounds so good singing a variety of different styles. I have his Colors of Christmas album. It is not rock at all, but he sounds great. Of course my favorite works of his are his rock records. I still think Shout is my favorite. His first solo record (An Axe To Grind) would be right up there too. I miss him. I wish he was still making records. He is now quite busy with his vocal academy.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am

I love Ken's voice and wish he's do another rocker.  I'd be okay with him doing a Kickstarter campaign just so he didn't lose money putting out an album.  I know he is enjoying doing his vocal academy, but I do wish he'd throw his fans a bone and release a new one.

I'd also like to hear him reissue his "Weird Odds & Ends" album fully remastered.  I heard a few of the songs but never got the album from MP3.com back in the day.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:47 am

The songs

Goldentown demo
Danger In Your Eyes demo
Long Way To Paradise demo
Strange Fasination demo
Tumblin' Down demo
Give All To Love demo

are on both End of the Age by Magdallan and Weird Odds and Ends by Ken Tamplin. If  anyone is planning on selling or trading their CD for Weird Odds and Ends and Where Love Is can let me know. I am looking for these CDs.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:18 am

Since we have been discussing the Shout and Ken Tamplin reissues from Girder Music, I figured I would post an update to my initial post:

Many of us are familiar with him and the various projects he has work on with others and as a solo artists. Besides being involved in albums as a minor/significant collaborator on projects like TV, movies and commercial music, he has been involved in projects like Joshua's first 3 albums, Angelica self titled 1989 debut and Make Me Your Voice volumes 1, 2 and 3 to raise money for relief for Sudan. His own discography is:

Shout:
It Won't Be Long 1988
In Your Face 1989
At the Top Of their Lungs (compilation under the name Shout/Tamplin with songs from Shout and his solo work with 2 previously unreleased tracks) 1992
Shout Back 1999

Magdallan which was a separate super group:
Big Bang 1992
End of the Age 1999

with UK music teacher Greg X
Dreams 2011

Solo:

An Axe to Grind 1990
Soul Survivor 1991
Tamplin 1993
Goin' Home (compilation with no unreleased songs) 1994
In The Witness Box 1995
We The People 1995
Weird Odds and Ends 1996
Liquid Music (compilation with songs from Shout, Magdallan and his solo work with 2 previously unreleased tracks) 1997
Colors of Christmas 1997
Where Love Is 1998
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth 1998
Brave Days of Old (compilation with songs from Shout, Magdallan and his solo work with a cover of Freeride) 1999
Wake The Nations 2003
Ballads of Ken Tamplin compilation 2014 (contains 9 songs from his previous recordings and the unreleased track Still a Mystery)

I have all of the above CDs except for Wierd Odds and Ends, When Dinosaurs Ruled and the Ballads of Ken Tamplin. Ken was also going to release a covers CD called Cover 2 Cover around 2008 but this became the 6 volume series Got You Covered and I don't have this series. Ken does his own versions of music ranging from classic pop, disco, Motown, rock and hard rock.

He also did:

How Sweet the Sound Beautiful Hymns 2009
Then Sings My Soul 2012
Superstar Medleys (contains 3 medleys of various songs)
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm a fan of his rock/metal albums too.  His self-titled solo album was one of my first metal albums.

Does anyone know how he's doing?  Didn't he lose his home to that volcano eruption in Hawaii last year?  I speculated in another thread that he needs money and that's why we're finally seeing his old discography come back in print.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:57 pm

He has also released SIX albums of nothing but cover tunes!  He has been busy!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am

Am I the only one who thinks his self title is the best he's done. In the Lap of Legends is a killer tune.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Black Rider wrote:Am I the only one who thinks his self title is the best he's done. In the Lap of Legends is a killer tune.

For me, Tamplin is his best with Magdallen's Big Bang and his own An Axe To Grind are his best.  Take them in that order, too.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Black Rider wrote:Am I the only one who thinks his self title is the best he's done. In the Lap of Legends is a killer tune.

You are not alone.  I love it.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Wake the Nations is a good album too. Regarding Magdallan, Ken only was involved in 2 of the 4 albums (really 1 where End of the Age was a compilation with unreleased demos) where he and Lanny had a disagreement. So the name was changed to Magdalen I think to prevent confusion. Big Bang was actually written in 1990 and nit released until early 1992.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Ken Tamplin is one of the most talented musicians I have ever listened to. With rare and impressive abilities in both guitar playing and singing.

I follow his youtube channel and the guy really can sing like anyone he wants too.

That said, I am a great fan of shout first 2 albums and Joshua's Surrender album. Magdallan's End of the ages is really good, as well. But that's about it. I am not a fan of no one's solo carrer, as they mix other musical styles and there's just one creative input.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:30 am

I have all the Ken Tamplin physical CDs except for When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. It's listed on Discogs as a 1998 release but I don't think it was ever released. It is basically a compilation album and most of the songs are on Where Love is and Wierd Odds and Ends. I'm wondering if Ken used the tracks on this CD to shop around for a record label and/or to promote himself. 

I have Wierd Odds and Ends which was released in 1996. This is a print on demand MP3.com CD. The wierd thing about this is track 2 and 3 is listed as:

Human Race 
Blood, Toil, Sweat & Tears

Human Race isn't on the CD and instead Blood, Toil, Sweat & Tears is both track 2 and 3. Does anyone else have this CD and found the same thing?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Ken is an amazing guy. An open and bold man of faith who loves God truly. His voice and music wows me all the time, but I must share a story that shows his depth.

A year ago or so, back when I was on Facebook, he shared something in his feed about insulin costs. I mentioned in his comments that insulin for my daughter costs many hundreds of dollars per month. HE SENT ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE AND OFFERED TO PAY ONE MONTH OF MY DAUGHTER'S INSULIN.

I replied and thanked him for his generosity for me, a lowly internet friend, but told him it would not be necessary since our health insurance covers it.

But wow, the fact that he would do that, in private, for a stranger is amazing. I know that our good deeds should be kept private, and he did, but I'm letting you all know that God is glorified in this man and his work and ministry.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Louder, oldschooldoom, bigtreads, Pethead, Son of Nun and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:52 pm

New Creation, Ken seems to be a great guy. Not only is he a musical genious but from time to time he will post a blog or a video something about theology, historical about the Bible/Israel or Bible Prophecy. I've read/watched some of this and he is very deep spiritually as well.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm

I unexpectedly met him once when I was employed at his local YMCA in Newport Beach. He walked in and I knew it was him, but I still asked to confirm it. I had a brief conversation and asked him if he was really related to Sammy Hagar. 😝 
He is indeed a nice guy!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 pm

I am amazed at his vocal talents. I've seen a few of his Vocal Academy videos and he can pretty much nail the vocals on almost any pop or rock song from anybody. Plus teach others how to do the same.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 am

I could never get into Ken. When I first heard "Borderline" I went out and bought the album. But I found the vocals over produced, almost syrupy when it came to the choruses. And too much guitar wankery going on. I had a few of his albums, but never played them much.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:12 pm

I never really got into him too much either, except for a few songs (Radio Bikini, Borderline, When the Love Is Gone, a good chunk of Tamplin), but he’s obviously very talented and I love that he’s such a genuine guy.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:09 pm

TZ75 wrote:I unexpectedly met him once when I was employed at his local YMCA in Newport Beach. He walked in and I knew it was him, but I still asked to confirm it. I had a brief conversation and asked him if he was really related to Sammy Hagar. 😝 
He is indeed a nice guy!
I wish Ken and his cousin would collaborate on a song at least if not an album.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:37 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I unexpectedly met him once when I was employed at his local YMCA in Newport Beach. He walked in and I knew it was him, but I still asked to confirm it. I had a brief conversation and asked him if he was really related to Sammy Hagar. 😝 
He is indeed a nice guy!
I wish Ken and his cousin would collaborate on a song at least if not an album.

I agree! I don’t know why they haven’t… both are talented rock vocalists.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down