The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

+17
Pro-Zak
zelote
oldschooldoom
crucifyd
Constantine
Hardcore Christian
eatbugs
MagnusPrime
alldatndensum
Superjuice
Kerrick
Black Rider
Pethead
Temple of Blood
seth
StevenCressler
Christian Thrash Rules
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

Post by seth Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Kerrick wrote:For me, it's the overall feel and conveyed emotions of the music.  The -core genre (to my ears) tends to be very angsty, tough-guy (yet simultaneously emo/whiny), and overly emotional.  I just don't resonate with any of that.

The vocals are where most of that comes through:  The harsh vocals generally have an especially angsty feel to them which I don't care for, but the clean vocals all sound so incredibly generic and wimpy/whiny.  Different/better vocals would elevate most metalcore significantly IMO.  But the songs tend to be much more pop-rock in their structure which is not something I gravitate towards either.

One thing I will give to -core is that the music lends itself pretty well for high-energy live shows with very active mosh pits.  So that's cool.  Smile
Yeah I would agree about the angsty quality. I know I’ve made the comparison before but to me metalcore sounds like “Linkin Park metal.” Which is not a good thing
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Lot's of times I'll bring up a band that is some type of core and people say how much they hate it. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!: Easycore - Pop-Punk with down-tuned riffs, breakdowns, and growling vocals(not constantly though). For Today: Metalcore - Metalcore. Saving Grace: Deathrashcore - Death metal vocals, thrash metal instrumentation, and breakdowns. etc. Why do y'all hate it?

You have no idea how bad things were for actual metal for 2000-2010.  Core bands were EVERYWHERE.  The songs just didn't stand the test of time.  The guitarists and singers were VERY VERY limited and after 30 seconds or so you had heard it all.
And 2006ish was when I was diving into heavier styles and it was just CORE CORE CORE!!!

We were playing a lot of shows back then and every local scene had 15 metalcore bands.  People would try to tell us they were "thrash-influenced" too, while we were tuned to standard and playing Overkill/Megadeth covers.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Frozen Fire, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm

seth wrote:
Kerrick wrote:For me, it's the overall feel and conveyed emotions of the music.  The -core genre (to my ears) tends to be very angsty, tough-guy (yet simultaneously emo/whiny), and overly emotional.  I just don't resonate with any of that.

The vocals are where most of that comes through:  The harsh vocals generally have an especially angsty feel to them which I don't care for, but the clean vocals all sound so incredibly generic and wimpy/whiny.  Different/better vocals would elevate most metalcore significantly IMO.  But the songs tend to be much more pop-rock in their structure which is not something I gravitate towards either.

One thing I will give to -core is that the music lends itself pretty well for high-energy live shows with very active mosh pits.  So that's cool.  Smile
Yeah I would agree about the angsty quality. I know I’ve made the comparison before but to me metalcore sounds like “Linkin Park metal.” Which is not a good thing
I enjoy Linkin Park actually.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 pm

Even if I liked FT, Mattie's stance on gay marriage ruins it for me.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 pm

Funny, I'm a big Zao fan (and seen them live several times) as well as the ground breaking Reborn album by Living Sacrifice, but I don't care for most metalcore or scream-o.  I just don't like what it evolved into, especially the clean vocals that are so wimpy with auto-tune to boot (yuck!) and I hate most the drum production.  Its just not an organic sounding musical form where as Zao was very real and earthy.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 pm

Black Rider wrote:Even if I liked FT, Mattie's stance on gay marriage ruins it for me.
Yeah... Switchfoot too. But FT broke up I think so.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:48 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Lot's of times I'll bring up a band that is some type of core and people say how much they hate it. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!: Easycore - Pop-Punk with down-tuned riffs, breakdowns, and growling vocals(not constantly though). For Today: Metalcore - Metalcore. Saving Grace: Deathrashcore - Death metal vocals, thrash metal instrumentation, and breakdowns. etc. Why do y'all hate it?

The vocals turn me off instantly.  I don't like being yelled at like I did something wrong.  They are too abrasive.  Also, the screaming comes off as monotone, and I am not paying to have someone sing a single note, so I don't want a screamer doing the same thing.  It's nerve wracking and seems like a total waste of vocal ability to me.

Musically, I can't say I listen very long.  The vocals are so off-putting that I rarely sample anything from this genre for more than a few seconds.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Pethead, Ammocas, MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 pm

They all sound the same.

And there's a MILLION of them.

If there's anything out there that truly sounds AI generated, it's the "-core" stuff.

Metal aesthetics vomited randomly over pop-punk pseudo-angst. 

The most overrated, oversaturated heavy music genre of all.

Like ToB said, NONE of it stands the test of time.

A lot of these bands are made up of good musicians, but good musicianship doesn't mean a thing without good songwriting/arranging skills.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, crucifyd, Frozen Fire, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:They all sound the same.

And there's a MILLION of them.

If there's anything out there that truly sounds AI generated, it's the "-core" stuff.

Metal aesthetics vomited randomly over pop-punk pseudo-angst. 

The most overrated, oversaturated heavy music genre of all.

Like ToB said, NONE of it stands the test of time.

A lot of these bands are made up of good musicians, but good musicianship doesn't mean a thing without good songwriting/arranging skills.

It's pretty much all of this.  

I do enjoy the -core sound, I just don't talk about it on this forum much.  And like MagnusPrime said, there is too much of it that all sounds the same.  I enjoy the sound, but it's a rare individual band that stands out from the others.  At best you get different sounds from different vocalists.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am

Its pretty much why I quit posting on here years ago.

I have broadened my listening habits to all styles of metal, but the modern bands that I go see live, and that are still putting out music are the bands that I enjoy most. Whenever I post them here they either get shot down or no one ever replies lol. I get that this community is just made up of people that are into more traditional and pre-2000's oriented bands, which is great! Because everywhere else online that I post classic Christian bands, people rarely know who they even are. There is definitely a bias here against core, but in all honesty its for the better, since classic and more traditional metal are absolutely underappreciated and underrepresented in today's music scene!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Temple of Blood, Kerrick, Frozen Fire, Pethead, MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 pm

I am not against metalcore as a genre and sometimes a song or two is good for a change of pace.  

But most metalcore songs I hear sound almost exactly the same, which is bad enough but is also something I can say about other genres too.   

But...where it really hits a head for me is the constant screaming / yelling vocals.  Total turn-off.  If you want to scream in certain passages, that's one thing, but screaming & yelling throughout the entire song?   In some abrasive, caustic voice?   Nope, not for me.  To me that's not heavy, it's just tiresome and aggravating

Music should not be an endurance test.   If what I am hearing makes me feel irritated and worn down, then I am turning it off.   I don't care what genre it is or how popular it is.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

alldatndensum, Pethead, MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Constantine wrote:I am not against metalcore as a genre and sometimes a song or two is good for a change of pace.  

But most metalcore songs I hear sound almost exactly the same, which is bad enough but is also something I can say about other genres too.   

But...where it really hits a head for me is the constant screaming / yelling vocals.  Total turn-off.  If you want to scream in certain passages, that's one thing, but screaming & yelling throughout the entire song?   In some abrasive, caustic voice?   Nope, not for me.  To me that's not heavy, it's just tiresome and aggravating

Music should not be an endurance test.   If what I am hearing makes me feel irritated and worn down, then I am turning it off.   I don't care what genre it is or how popular it is.
Is core better than a certain thrash band, Constantine? Wink
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Even though I don’t like core in general, I can sort of get how some people could enjoy some types like metalcore and deathcore. The one I absolutely do not understand how anyone could enjoy is grindcore. The small samples I have heard (from grindcore bands considered “good” by fans) have zero redeemable qualities whatsoever to justify the genre’s existence
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Hardcore Christian, Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 pm

StevenCressler wrote:

Is core better than a certain thrash band, Constantine? Wink
Lol, let's....just...say....that these days I'd rather hear almost anything except that certain band because I'm so sick of hearing about them....!    Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? - Page 2 1f631
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 pm

Yeah, we’ve got way too many Torn Flesh threads around here.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Hardcore Christian, Constantine, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm

Pethead wrote:Yeah, we’ve got way too many Torn Flesh threads around here.
Well that's the crux of the mosh.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 pm

i'm in the "it's too samey, cookie cutter" camp

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
Pethead wrote:And 2006ish was when I was diving into heavier styles and it was just CORE CORE CORE!!!
So... y'all are just tired of it? Just loved metal at the wrong time.

the 80's / early 90s were definitely the right time for loving metal...

Last edited by crucifyd on Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Temple of Blood, Pethead, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 pm

I need to slow down!

At first glance I read the head line as

WHY DO MOST PEOPLE ON HERE HATE AL GORE?  Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? - Page 2 1f605  Razz Razz Twisted Evil
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Kerrick, Hardcore Christian, Frozen Fire, Pethead, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:25 pm

I do not like this music style a lot; I do not consider it metal. I like a few bands, such as POD, Demon Hunter, and Disciple.

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 pm

Anyone remember "Mindrage?" Pretty sure that they were considered metalcore...
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:41 pm

Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Hardcore Christian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:37 am

I think it's just because most of the people who regularly visit this board are older and are more interested in classic styles of metal.  Most Core all sounds the same to us, and is too angsty/whiny.  Our ears are attuned to different sounds.

That said, I am perhaps a little younger and grew up on first wave metalcore of the late 90s like Zao, Training for Utopia, Converge, Six Feet Deep, etc, so I like some Core still that doesn't have clean singing.  It's the emo singing that I can't stand in any metal.  I also don't like the operatic or prog/power vocals that a lot of people like here, though.

Core bands I've liked a lot the last 10 years have been Impending Doom, A Plea for Purging, Earth Groans, Those Who Fear, Deathbreaker, and Cultist.  But even some of those I think have generic vocals and riffs most of the time; I just like their name, concept, and album art, so that helps me buy into liking them.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Hardcore Christian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:44 am

strangerhoncho wrote:I think it's just because most of the people who regularly visit this board are older and are more interested in classic styles of metal.  Most Core all sounds the same to us, and is too angsty/whiny.  Our ears are attuned to different sounds.

That said, I am perhaps a little younger and grew up on first wave metalcore of the late 90s like Zao, Training for Utopia, Converge, Six Feet Deep, etc, so I like some Core still that doesn't have clean singing.  It's the emo singing that I can't stand in any metal.  I also don't like the operatic or prog/power vocals that a lot of people like here, though.

Core bands I've liked a lot the last 10 years have been Impending Doom, A Plea for Purging, Earth Groans, Those Who Fear, Deathbreaker, and Cultist.  But even some of those I think have generic vocals and riffs most of the time; I just like their name, concept, and album art, so that helps me buy into liking them.
I'm the youngest member here and I'm still not a fan of most core, though I like some like Living Sacrifice, Becoming the Archetype, and A Secret Ending
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

zelote wrote:I do not like this music style a lot; I do not consider it metal. I like a few bands, such as POD, Demon Hunter, and Disciple.
P.O.D and early Demon Hunter are Nu Metal. Disciple I'm not sure, definitely not core though.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:40 am

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
zelote wrote:I do not like this music style a lot; I do not consider it metal. I like a few bands, such as POD, Demon Hunter, and Disciple.
P.O.D and early Demon Hunter are Nu Metal. Disciple I'm not sure, definitely not core though.
Maybe Disciple is…Post Nu Metal  Surprised
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next