The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

+17
Pro-Zak
zelote
oldschooldoom
crucifyd
Constantine
Hardcore Christian
eatbugs
MagnusPrime
alldatndensum
Superjuice
Kerrick
Black Rider
Pethead
Temple of Blood
seth
StevenCressler
Christian Thrash Rules
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? Empty Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:52 pm

Lot's of times I'll bring up a band that is some type of core and people say how much they hate it. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!: Easycore - Pop-Punk with down-tuned riffs, breakdowns, and growling vocals(not constantly though). For Today: Metalcore - Metalcore. Saving Grace: Deathrashcore - Death metal vocals, thrash metal instrumentation, and breakdowns. etc. Why do y'all hate it?
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? Empty Re: Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Lot's of times I'll bring up a band that is some type of core and people say how much they hate it. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!: Easycore - Pop-Punk with down-tuned riffs, breakdowns, and growling vocals(not constantly though). For Today: Metalcore - Metalcore. Saving Grace: Deathrashcore - Death metal vocals, thrash metal instrumentation, and breakdowns. etc. Why do y'all hate it?
I don't hate it, but the guitars can be boring and the vocals just don't tend to sound good.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? Empty Re: Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres?

Post by seth Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:57 pm

For me it’s the combination of lack of melody, overly simple “chugging” riffs, obnoxious screaming harsh vocals and emo like clean vocals. I think a lot of metalheads don’t like it for these reasons and because it is often confused and/or mixed with metal, and they see this as polluting “true” metal. I don’t have a problem with its existence or other people enjoying it though, there’s plenty of music for each of us to enjoy out there
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, Temple of Blood, Frozen Fire, Pethead, Pro-Zak, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:59 pm

It's music for young people who haven't heard much and/or the tone deaf IMHO.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Superjuice, Kerrick, Pethead, Ammocas, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:00 pm

seth wrote:For me it’s the combination of lack of melody, overly simple “chugging” riffs, obnoxious screaming harsh vocals and emo like clean vocals. I think a lot of metalheads don’t like it for these reasons and because it is often confused and/or mixed with metal, and they see this as polluting “true” metal. I don’t have a problem with its existence or other people enjoying it though, there’s plenty of music for each of us to enjoy out there
Ok, I understand that. But, Chunk! doesn't have the harsh emo vocals, their growling vocals are true growling vocals, and they have awesome guitar riffs, and they have catchy choruses and good melody's.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:06 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
seth wrote:For me it’s the combination of lack of melody, overly simple “chugging” riffs, obnoxious screaming harsh vocals and emo like clean vocals. I think a lot of metalheads don’t like it for these reasons and because it is often confused and/or mixed with metal, and they see this as polluting “true” metal. I don’t have a problem with its existence or other people enjoying it though, there’s plenty of music for each of us to enjoy out there
Ok, I understand that. But, Chunk! doesn't have the harsh emo vocals, their growling vocals are true growling vocals, and they have awesome guitar riffs, and they have catchy choruses and good melody's.
I’ve never listened to this band, I guess I could check out a song or two, but I’d honestly be surprised if I like it because I’m not a fan of punk or pop punk
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 pm

seth wrote:
I’ve never listened to this band, I guess I could check out a song or two, but I’d honestly be surprised if I like it because I’m not a fan of punk or pop punk
I'm not a fan of Pop-Punk normally either, but I love CNCC
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:10 pm

Pretty much this, although there are a few core bands I enjoy. For Today is emphatically not one of those, however.

I also hated being a young metalhead looking for classic styles, and being inundated with core instead. But I found a few great bands.

But like what you like. Very few people around these parts enjoy funeral doom. But I like it with no shame. If you dig core, in the words of Petra, More Power to Ya.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Pethead, MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 pm

Pethead wrote:
Pretty much this, although there are a few core bands I enjoy. For Today is emphatically not one of those, however.

I also hated being a young metalhead looking for classic styles, and being inundated with core instead. But I found a few great bands.

But like what you like. Very few people around these parts enjoy funeral doom. But I like it with no shame. If you dig core, in the words of Petra, More Power to Ya.
That's one of Petra's best albums. Best pre John for sure.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:13 pm

Pethead wrote:

That's one of Petra's best albums. Best pre John for sure.
Not of this World imo
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Pethead wrote:

Yeah that was my experience looking for Christian metal on Spotify when I first started listening to it, most of the playlists were full of core
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm

seth wrote:
Pethead wrote:

Yeah that was my experience looking for Christian metal on Spotify when I first started listening to it, most of the playlists were full of core
It was really bad when I was in college before a lot of classic stuff was very accessible.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 pm

Chunk has emoish clean vocals, don't know why you say they don't. The song, The other line sounds like Dashboard Confessional.
I don't hate core, I enjoy some death core but it tends to get repetitive and breakdown after breakdown gets annoying.

Last edited by Black Rider on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:Lot's of times I'll bring up a band that is some type of core and people say how much they hate it. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!: Easycore - Pop-Punk with down-tuned riffs, breakdowns, and growling vocals(not constantly though). For Today: Metalcore - Metalcore. Saving Grace: Deathrashcore - Death metal vocals, thrash metal instrumentation, and breakdowns. etc. Why do y'all hate it?

You have no idea how bad things were for actual metal for 2000-2010.  Core bands were EVERYWHERE.  The songs just didn't stand the test of time.  The guitarists and singers were VERY VERY limited and after 30 seconds or so you had heard it all.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Frozen Fire, Pethead, MagnusPrime, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Black Rider wrote:Chunk has emoish clean vocals, don't know why you say they don't. The other line sounds like Dashboard Confessional.
I don't hate core, I enjoy some death core but it tends to get repetitive and breakdown after breakdown gets annoying.
Chunks vocals just sound like Punk to me. And I do understand the breakdown after breakdown thing. Saving Grace is awesome and as far as I know, don't go overboard with the breakdowns.(They're Christian deathcore or deathrashcore)
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:29 pm

Pop punk has more in common with emo than original punk.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:30 pm

Why Do Most People On Here Hate All "Core" Genres? Horace-diaz-mighty-med
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:32 pm

For me, it's the overall feel and conveyed emotions of the music.  The -core genre (to my ears) tends to be very angsty, tough-guy (yet simultaneously emo/whiny), and overly emotional.  I just don't resonate with any of that.

The vocals are where most of that comes through:  The harsh vocals generally have an especially angsty feel to them which I don't care for, but the clean vocals all sound so incredibly generic and wimpy/whiny.  Different/better vocals would elevate most metalcore significantly IMO.  But the songs tend to be much more pop-rock in their structure which is not something I gravitate towards either.

One thing I will give to -core is that the music lends itself pretty well for high-energy live shows with very active mosh pits.  So that's cool.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider, Pethead, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:33 pm

Kerrick wrote:For me, it's the overall feel and conveyed emotions of the music.  The -core genre (to my ears) tends to be very angsty, tough-guy (yet simultaneously emo/whiny), and overly emotional.  I just don't resonate with any of that.

The vocals are where most of that comes through:  The harsh vocals generally have an especially angsty feel to them which I don't care for, but the clean vocals all sound so incredibly generic and wimpy/whiny.  Different/better vocals would elevate most metalcore significantly IMO.  But the songs tend to be much more pop-rock in their structure which is not something I gravitate towards either.

One thing I will give to -core is that the music lends itself pretty well for high-energy live shows with very active mosh pits.  So that's cool.  Smile
You should try For Today. Their vocals are less emo/whiny and more just full traditional growling
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

You have no idea how bad things were for actual metal for 2000-2010.  Core bands were EVERYWHERE.  The songs just didn't stand the test of time.  The guitarists and singers were VERY VERY limited and after 30 seconds or so you had heard it all.
And 2006ish was when I was diving into heavier styles and it was just CORE CORE CORE!!!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, seth and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Kerrick wrote:For me, it's the overall feel and conveyed emotions of the music.  The -core genre (to my ears) tends to be very angsty, tough-guy (yet simultaneously emo/whiny), and overly emotional.  I just don't resonate with any of that.

You should try For Today. Their vocals are less emo/whiny and more just full traditional growling
No, Kerrick, RUN FAST AND RUN FAR.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Kerrick, Frozen Fire and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

And 2006ish was when I was diving into heavier styles and it was just CORE CORE CORE!!!
So... y'all are just tired of it? Just loved metal at the wrong time.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Pethead wrote:

Did I lie?
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Pethead wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

So... y'all are just tired of it? Just loved metal at the wrong time.
No, I never really liked it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 pm

Pethead wrote:

Did I lie?
Nah, I just find FT to be dull as dishwater.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Frozen Fire and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next