The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?)

3 posters

Go down

Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?) Empty Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?)

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm

It's the same cd just with an added box stating it was distributed from BMG, yet the second you mention a cd is from BMG the value plummets.

Why?

Last edited by Bought4Life on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?) Empty Re: Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?)

Post by Follower of Jesus Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Because it’s not an original?
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?) Empty Re: Why do people hate CDs that were sold via BMG so much? (UPDATE: is the Rootkit scandal the reason?)

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:Because it’s not an original?

I could maybe see that for collectible cds, but I'm talking just about every day cd values.

A Project86. Carman, Crystal Lewis  etc etc type of cds. Good music,  just not collectible. 

Whatever value they have drops to zero once it is found to be BMG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 pm

SO I think I got my answer....

Apparently there was a HUGE scandal about Sony BMG sneaking rootkits onto their cds.

Pretty messed up stuff....I had no idea.

No wonder no one wants them.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2998251/sony-bmg-rootkit-scandal-10-years-later.html  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 pm

This may explain why the BMG cds I have I can't even sell for $1, where the non-BMG version sells easily for $5-$6

(again, not collectible cds...just regular popular music)

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 am

I don't care. I'll buy 'em and I bought tons from them when they were around. There's people that really hate their vinyl. I have several records pressed by them and they sound find to me - the good news is the price is usually cheaper for these CD's and records.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 am

I liked them a lot because they tried to squeeze 2 albums onto 1 CD. A good value.
Oh wait, I am thinking about KMG. Razz
What is BMG?

Last edited by oldschooldoom on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

oldschooldoom wrote:I liked them a lot because they tried to squeeze 2 albums onto 1 CD. A good value.

Are you confusing BMG with KMG? I never saw a BMG have 2 on 1. All of the stuff they issued were exact copies of regular albums from the CD club.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down