The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite song on Master of Puppets?

+11
Temple of Blood
Black Rider
Pethead
Superjuice
Airola
Dustofyears
CrimsonWarrior
seth
scottmitchell74
MagnusPrime
StevenCressler
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite on Master of Puppets?

Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap27%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap33%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap7%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap13%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap7%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap0%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_lcap6%Favorite song on Master of Puppets? I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 15

Favorite song on Master of Puppets? Empty Favorite song on Master of Puppets?

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:07 am

I'm choosing Welcome Home. Such a great, tragic story behind the lyrics, and the main riff and chorus translate all of that perfectly. Currently my #7 song overall.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Black Rider, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite song on Master of Puppets? Empty Re: Favorite song on Master of Puppets?

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:13 am

Disposable Heroes.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite song on Master of Puppets? Empty Re: Favorite song on Master of Puppets?

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:18 am

Battery!
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:20 am

Need to listen to the whole thing again to make a better decision, but I love the title track. Favorite Metallica song i’ve heard
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 am

MagnusPrime wrote:Disposable Heroes.
That's a great one too, my third favorite on the album.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 am

seth wrote: Need to listen to the whole thing again to make a better decision, but I love the title track. Favorite Metallica song i’ve heard
That would be my second pick.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:10 am

Battery, followed by MoP and Welcome Home.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75, Dustofyears, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:22 am

The thing that should not be of course! Like lightening, no wrong answer here. Metlallica scratches out another Masterpiece.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:27 am

The only song I think is average is The Thing That Should Not Be. It's ok but sometimes I skip it.
Welcome Home and Orion are very good but not excellent. Battery, Master of Puppets, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah and Damage Inc are all excellent songs.

EDIT: My pick was Battery. At some point it was Disposable Heroes.

Last edited by Airola on Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:31 am

Once upon a time: Sanitarium.  Probably just plain ol' MOP now.  Usually there's a lot of love for Orion from contrarians.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:01 am

Orion is great! The weakest on the album to me is Leper Messiah. To really understand The thing that should not be in it's fullness you need a good grasp of Hp Lovecraft. Ktulu and Thing are perfect musical complements to the insanity and despair that is Lovecraft's work and cosmic terrors.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 am

Gotta go title track. But several others could take the spot, as well. The album is a masterpiece.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:20 am

Dustofyears wrote:To really understand The thing that should not be in it's fullness you need a good grasp of Hp Lovecraft. Ktulu and Thing are perfect musical complements to the insanity and despair that is Lovecraft's work and cosmic terrors.

I'm not much into listening to the lyrics in songs in general, as I mostly view the vocals as another instrument and many times if I try to really listen to the lyrics it just takes me away from the music. I do appreciate good lyrics though whenever I'm in the mood to look into them.

But in this case the Lovecraft connection only makes it worse as I really dislike Lovecraft, especially anything that involves Chthulhu. Most of the time if a movie or a video game is called "lovecraftian" I lose all my interest. One thing I can't stand is that there is supposed to be this unimaginable terror that can't be described, but then it is described and it's always some darn squid tentacle thing which is the furthest from "an unspeakable horror" I can imagine.

I can appreciate Lovecraft for doing his thing and I like that people like his work, but it's not for me at all.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:24 am

Sanitarium. Love the build up and it's sort of melancholic crushingly heavy sound. Thing that should not be is great but I enjoy Lovecraft.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 am

I think that main riff to Battery was a game changer for thrash metal.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

CrimsonWarrior and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 am

Battery never fails to get me pumped up.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

CrimsonWarrior and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 am

Orion!

It’s my all time favorite instrumental song. 

Other choices…

Title Track
Disposable Heroes 
Damage Inc
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:33 am

The whole album is great! 

Leper Messiah is my least favorite… but it still has that cool riff before the solo!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:00 pm

Black Rider wrote:Sanitarium. Love the build up and it's sort of melancholic crushingly heavy sound. Thing that should not be is great but I enjoy Lovecraft.
Yeah, it's one of those riffs that feels heavier than it really is because of all the raw emotion in it.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:03 pm

TZ75 wrote:The whole album is great! 

Leper Messiah is my least favorite… but it still has that cool riff before the solo!
I assumed it would be one of my least favorites (as the title makes it sound like it would have... questionable lyrics), but it's actually one of the most biblical songs they've made.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:04 pm

Tbh, I don't get why everyone is choosing Battery. It's a great song, but it's my least favorite on the album. Fastest doesn't mean best...
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:40 pm

I wouldn’t say it’s the fastest. That’s probably either Disposable Heroes or Damage, Inc.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:58 pm

Damage Inc stinks, as does that first solo in Sanitarium.  Took me years to realize that though.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:59 pm

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm

StevenCressler wrote:Tbh, I don't get why everyone is choosing Battery. It's a great song, but it's my least favorite on the album. Fastest doesn't mean best...

I kind of agree with ToB that the riff on Battery was pretty much a game changer for thrash metal. It brought a certain type of harmonic melody into basic aggressive fast thrash picking, which I think eventually lead into melodic death metal and metalcore. A huge influence no matter what we might think about those subgenres.

Of course just being influential doesn't necessarily equal being good, but to me it's one of the best riffs ever and even the simple "two note" riff at the end (3:48) is perfect, it plays just at the right moments and brings the sense of aggression forward really well. Living Sacrifice sort of copied that to Violence from their debut album (1:49).

Plus I love Lars' drums in that song. The way he uses cymbals accents and odd drum fills here and there gives this weird sense of controlled chaos and sounds really aggressive. It's one of the better examples of an excellent teamwork with the rhythm guitarist and the drummer.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next