The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead

+10
ReedBenson
Opeth3232
Dustofyears
Sevenoneself
Machine Fish
TZ75
Follower of Jesus
MagnusPrime
Black Rider
Pethead
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Metallica vs. Megadeth

72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_lcap35%72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 35% 
[ 6 ]
72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_lcap47%72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 47% 
[ 8 ]
72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_lcap6%72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_lcap12%72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 17

72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 Empty Re: 72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead

Post by TZ75 Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:18 pm

Airola wrote:The most underrated album of Megadeth is either The System Has Failed or Endgame.
The most overrated album of Megadeth is Countdown to Extinction, and Sweating Bullets is probably their most overrated song.

The most underrated album of Metallica is St. Anger, not kidding.
The most overrated album of Metallica is Kill 'em All. I would almost say Justice because I think its production is even more dull to the ears than St. Anger's and the title track, Eye of the Beholder and, yes, Harvester of Sorrow, are all very dull tracks, but the album has too many masterpiece songs to ever call it overrated. With Kill em All there are two songs I enjoy and the rest are either meh or ok.

(I wrote a long list of going through all of the albums for both bands and telling if they are overrated or underrated and writing a short review for each of them - only to have them all disappear because my new mouse has this weird side button that for some reason is assigned to be a "back" button, and I accidentally pressed it with my thumb and lost everything - and actually TWICE, lol Very Happy So I thought I'd just write a short list of the most under and overrated albums by each band)

Yikes!

You started off making sense with Megadeth, but then you took a hard left into looney-town with your claim about St. Anger being good and KEA being overrated. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you’re off your rocker about those! 

Kill ‘Em All started thrash. It’s the blueprint! Great songs too. 

St. Anger is mostly horrid! Mid aged dudes trying to sound like a clueless teenage garage band. Lyrics were like throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Intellectually regressive content.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead - Page 3 Empty Re: 72 Seasons vs. The Sick, the Dying, and the Dead

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:27 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Airola wrote:The most underrated album of Megadeth is either The System Has Failed or Endgame.
The most overrated album of Megadeth is Countdown to Extinction, and Sweating Bullets is probably their most overrated song.

The most overrated album of Metallica is Kill 'em All. I would almost say Justice because I think its production is even more dull to the ears than St. Anger's and the title track, Eye of the Beholder and, yes, Harvester of Sorrow, are all very dull tracks, but the album has too many masterpiece songs to ever call it overrated. With Kill em All there are two songs I enjoy and the rest are either meh or ok.

(I wrote a long list of going through all of the albums for both bands and telling if they are overrated or underrated and writing a short review for each of them - only to have them all disappear because my new mouse has this weird side button that for some reason is assigned to be a "back" button, and I accidentally pressed it with my thumb and lost everything - and actually TWICE, lol Very Happy So I thought I'd just write a short list of the most under and overrated albums by each band)

Yikes!

You started off making sense with Megadeth, but then you took a hard left into looney-town with your claim about St. Anger being good and KEA being overrated. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you’re off your rocker about those! 

St. Anger is mostly horrid! Mid aged dudes trying to sound like a clueless teenage garage band. Lyrics were like throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Intellectually regressive content.
St. Anger isn't good, but I do think it's somewhat underrated, as people act like every single thing about it is terrible. There are things about it that are good.
Kill 'Em All sounds like hair thrash, and TBA is better. It's still an 8.5/10 though.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:34 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Exodus has not sounded the same the last thirty years, turn in your metal card. 😆

No just the last 20 I guess. Razz

I do like them but their albums kind of started running together (to me) starting with Tempo.

Solid and consistent enough, but nothing that really keeps me going back to listen to them very often.

They had the Andy Sneap Syndrome. Testament has had the same thing (since The Formation of Damnation). They all sound the same sonically. 

Of coarse the albums are good… it’s just the production. Andy never changes his sterile style. He’s good, but every band he produces has the same Sneap tones. 

In comparison, Terry Date and Bill Metoyer produced albums that sound different.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:43 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Yikes!

St. Anger isn't good, but I do think it's somewhat underrated, as people act like every single thing about it is terrible. There are things about it that are good.
Kill 'Em All sounds like hair thrash, and TBA is better. It's still an 8.5/10 though.

Well I actually said St. Anger is “mostly” horrid. There are a few okay moments. But Kill ‘Em All is like NWOBHM on steroids. Hair-thrash… that’s a funny term.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:19 pm

TZ75 wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Yikes!

Well I actually said St. Anger is “mostly” horrid. There are a few okay moments. But Kill ‘Em All is like NWOBHM on steroids. Hair-thrash… that’s a funny term.
That's true...I've never thought of that before. And yeah, that's the best way I could describe it. It's definitely thrash, but the guitar tuning and vocals sound like hair metal. Some of the songs I think are more speed metal.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:17 pm

TZ75 wrote:

Yikes!

Yeah, I don't deny the huge influence Kill 'em All had and basically creating a whole new genre. But that doesn't mean I have to like it more than I do. When it comes to the songs I just happen to find it very average. I appreciate the album but don't enjoy listening to it that much. It's not a bad album, it's just very average.

My history with both Megadeth and Metallica were that I didn't really get either of them for the longest time.
I always liked Megadeth's Holy Wars, and the only other song I really enjoyed was Mary Jane on SFSGSW. But that was pretty much it.
With Metallica I liked One and I thought Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters were ok.

I tried to give both bands a chance through the years.
Then in 2003 I bumped into Peace Sells at a flea market and thought I'd give the band one more chance. A lot of the album went in from one ear and out from the other, without impressing me that much. But when Bad Omen played something clicked in my brain. I played that song over and over again and eventually got hooked into the rest of the album. Then I went back to their earlier records and enjoyed pretty much all of them, with the exception of Countdown to Extinction being a disappointment (the title song is fantastic though!), and I soon bought all up to The World Needs a Hero.

Then I thought I'd get back to Metallica and give them another chance too. I got Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Justice. Didn't enjoy them much at all. Thinking back I don't understand how I wasn't able to like songs like Fight Fire with Fire and Dyers Eve, both of which are 5/5 songs for me now, but for some reason I just didn't get the band at all and thought the whole band was very overrated.

When Death Magnetic came in 2008 I thought that ok one more chance. Suddenly I felt like a missing puzzle piece had been found and there was something special about the riffing and the drums, specifically with how the cymbals were used - these cymbal accents in places I don't normally hear them. I enjoyed the album a lot so I went back to the early albums and first I noticed the same combo of riffs and the use of cymbals and hi-hats, and suddenly a ton of riffs opened to me in a way I hadn't understood them before. Death Magnetic made me understand Metallica, and then suddenly Fight Fire with Fire blew my mind and I couldn't get enough of Blackened etc. But for some reason Kill 'em All didn't click with me then, and it still doesn't, even though, believe or not, my favorite James Hetfield singing voice is in Kill em All, lol Very Happy There are a few good songs in the album but most of it is pretty average. Not bad, but average, but the strained and cracking teenage voice of James sort of ups the energy a lot for me.

That energy is there in St. Anger too. Yeah, nu-metal and overlong songs and probably stupid lyrics blah blah blah, but if you take away all of that there's plenty of aggressive energy in that album and it's nowhere near as bad as people say it is. Even Lulu is not as bad as people say as Mistress Dread is fantastic. I don't care if they are old guys trying to be a teenage garage band or whatever, all I care is the grin in my face in the fast parts of that album (almost every song gets fast!) and in a lot of the slower parts there is this fantastic rough aggressive energy I love a lot. I'm not going to give any praises for the snare drum sound though. That surely was a mistake Very Happy It's not that bad in all songs but when it gets bad it really gets bad.
All Within My Hands is one of the best songs Metallica has made!

I still haven't got much into Load and Reload. But The Thorn Within has amazing verse parts and Fuel is a great song.

With Metallica I appreciate a lot how almost each of their albums have their own identity. Load and Reload sound the same, and so does Hardwired and 72 Seasons, but the rest are all their own beasts. And the only albums that I feel miss the energy completely are Hardwired and 72 Seasons.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:00 pm

Endgame and YSHF are well respected. I think Super Collider is underrated.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:20 am

Black Rider wrote:Endgame and YSHF are well respected. I think Super Collider is underrated.

I actually thought Super Collider was alright. People online were trashing it big time when it came out. It’s got some filler for sure… but Kingmaker is a Sabbathy cool tune!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:27 am

Airola wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Yikes!

Yeah, I don't deny the huge influence Kill 'em All had and basically creating a whole new genre. But that doesn't mean I have to like it more than I do. When it comes to the songs I just happen to find it very average. I appreciate the album but don't enjoy listening to it that much. It's not a bad album, it's just very average.

My history with both Megadeth and Metallica were that I didn't really get either of them for the longest time.
I always liked Megadeth's Holy Wars, and the only other song I really enjoyed was Mary Jane on SFSGSW. But that was pretty much it.
With Metallica I liked One and I thought Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters were ok.

I tried to give both bands a chance through the years.
Then in 2003 I bumped into Peace Sells at a flea market and thought I'd give the band one more chance. A lot of the album went in from one ear and out from the other, without impressing me that much. But when Bad Omen played something clicked in my brain. I played that song over and over again and eventually got hooked into the rest of the album. Then I went back to their earlier records and enjoyed pretty much all of them, with the exception of Countdown to Extinction being a disappointment (the title song is fantastic though!), and I soon bought all up to The World Needs a Hero.

Then I thought I'd get back to Metallica and give them another chance too. I got Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Justice. Didn't enjoy them much at all. Thinking back I don't understand how I wasn't able to like songs like Fight Fire with Fire and Dyers Eve, both of which are 5/5 songs for me now, but for some reason I just didn't get the band at all and thought the whole band was very overrated.

When Death Magnetic came in 2008 I thought that ok one more chance. Suddenly I felt like a missing puzzle piece had been found and there was something special about the riffing and the drums, specifically with how the cymbals were used - these cymbal accents in places I don't normally hear them. I enjoyed the album a lot so I went back to the early albums and first I noticed the same combo of riffs and the use of cymbals and hi-hats, and suddenly a ton of riffs opened to me in a way I hadn't understood them before. Death Magnetic made me understand Metallica, and then suddenly Fight Fire with Fire blew my mind and I couldn't get enough of Blackened etc. But for some reason Kill 'em All didn't click with me then, and it still doesn't, even though, believe or not, my favorite James Hetfield singing voice is in Kill em All, lol Very Happy There are a few good songs in the album but most of it is pretty average. Not bad, but average, but the strained and cracking teenage voice of James sort of ups the energy a lot for me.

That energy is there in St. Anger too. Yeah, nu-metal and overlong songs and probably stupid lyrics blah blah blah, but if you take away all of that there's plenty of aggressive energy in that album and it's nowhere near as bad as people say it is. Even Lulu is not as bad as people say as Mistress Dread is fantastic. I don't care if they are old guys trying to be a teenage garage band or whatever, all I care is the grin in my face in the fast parts of that album (almost every song gets fast!) and in a lot of the slower parts there is this fantastic rough aggressive energy I love a lot. I'm not going to give any praises for the snare drum sound though. That surely was a mistake Very Happy It's not that bad in all songs but when it gets bad it really gets bad.
All Within My Hands is one of the best songs Metallica has made!

I still haven't got much into Load and Reload. But The Thorn Within has amazing verse parts and Fuel is a great song.

With Metallica I appreciate a lot how almost each of their albums have their own identity. Load and Reload sound the same, and so does Hardwired and 72 Seasons, but the rest are all their own beasts. And the only albums that I feel miss the energy completely are Hardwired and 72 Seasons.

Fair enough! 

I respect your opinion. I just was taken aback at first because I love KEA.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:14 am

TZ75 wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Endgame and YSHF are well respected. I think Super Collider is underrated.

I actually thought Super Collider was alright. People online were trashing it big time when it came out. It’s got some filler for sure… but Kingmaker is a Sabbathy cool tune!
Super Collider is good. Some of their more memorable tunes from recent albums are on it. Built for War is on of my favorites.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3