The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New interview

+17
Wigeon
Staybrite
Grindboy
deathisgain
Bahana
scottmitchell74
Follower of Jesus
Fundy
Tourniguy
MagnusPrime
crucifyd
Airola
Sevenoneself
jaydeecrawson
TZ75
Pethead
Luke Easter
21 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New interview  - Page 7 Empty Re: New interview

Post by Tourniguy Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:49 pm

What are your thoughts on Gazing at Meduza?

Tourniguy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:19 pm

Tourniguy wrote:What are your thoughts on Gazing at Meduza?

Wow. That's a loaded question. 

Let me start by making it clear up front that I was a fan of the band before I was a member of the band. Kris (my friend, collaborator, and producer) turned me on to STB when it was first released. I ran out and got it on CD as quickly as I could, and did the same with Psycho and POD, and then wound up singing for the band for a long, long time. When the Kickstarter campaign was announced for Gazing At Medusa, I backed it. I wanted it to be awesome, partly because I had started my relationship as a fan, but also because by the time we parted ways I'd spent half my life helping build and sustain the brand and the catalog. I was disappointed. 

I know that some will probably say I'm just being salty. That's honestly not the case. It just didn't work for me.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
Tourniguy wrote:What are your thoughts on Gazing at Meduza?

Wow. That's a loaded question. 

Let me start by making it clear up front that I was a fan of the band before I was a member of the band. Kris (my friend, collaborator, and producer) turned me on to STB when it was first released. I ran out and got it on CD as quickly as I could, and did the same with Psycho and POD, and then wound up singing for the band for a long, long time. When the Kickstarter campaign was announced for Gazing At Medusa, I backed it. I wanted it to be awesome, partly because I had started my relationship as a fan, but also because by the time we parted ways I'd spent half my life helping build and sustain the brand and the catalog. I was disappointed. 

I know that some will probably say I'm just being salty. That's honestly not the case. It just didn't work for me.

The irony is that you were the equivalent to Ripper Owens joining Judas Priest. You were a fan and then ended up actually in the band! That’s cool!

If I just read that last comment correctly… I agree with you (for my own reasons). I was also disappointed. I had said on here that I felt that Ripper “phoned in” his performance and Ted didn’t like my opinion. Maybe I should’ve kept my opinion to myself, but this is a “discussion board”. And I didn’t mean to disrespect his album. The music is okay… 
Are we to regret everything we ever say if someone suddenly passes? We live one day at a time. 

Btw… Jimmy P. Brown has stated on his podcast that Ted used to critique every album he released for years, until Jimmy told him to stop! 😄
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:12 am

I don't think I've ever listened to "Gazing at Medusa" more than 2 or 3 minutes.... YAWN!

My first thoughts are:

It may have been smart on Ted's part to change the formula up a little... like when a brand isn't "selling", you change the logo, cut your hair and get a few new band members... like Metallica. Lot's of bands do it... it's marketing. It keep the conversation moving and gets more chatter (I think)

No criticism to Luke at all, but that "may" have been his thinking? I dunno. not saying they weren't selling either. it's just my theory and it doesn't mean anything at all. But that MAY HAVE been his idea behind the vocal change up?

I also agree when I heard he had Ripper "phoned in his performance" as you say... I agree with that comment.

that was my impression too. I like Ripper OK... I liked his Judas Priest and Iced Earth stuff a little but it's not Halford or Matt Barlow... not my thang.

My fav. Luke album is "Vanishing Lessons" for sure. I loved it because I was in college at the time it came out and I have very fond memories of it. I think it was VERY good.

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:16 am

I loved the title track.  Gazing At Medusa was pretty awesome, but the rest of the album I think I've only listened to once.  That didn't grab me at all.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:20 am

Fundy wrote:I loved the title track.  Gazing At Medusa was pretty awesome, but the rest of the album I think I've only listened to once.  That didn't grab me at all.

And the title track was performed by Deen Castronovo. It’s amazing because he’s more known as a drummer, but his voice was preferable over Ripper’s. 

I think I read that Ted originally wanted Deen to do the whole album, but he was busy doing something else.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:37 am

It’s not always the case… but when one person runs the show and writes all the music, there is a very good chance of musical stagnation. You have no one to bounce ideas around with. That’s why the earlier albums were so good! Other writers were involved. A one man show can eventually become taxing. Partnerships is a better route to go. Look at Testament. Eric Peterson is in charge of the music, but Chuck Billy handles the majority of the lyrics. I think even Dave Mustaine bounces his ideas off of Kiko. 

And this could also be why Stryper’s albums are sounding too similar to one another. Some people don’t mind… but I think it’s becoming more noticeable.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am

Yes, that can definitely be true.  Barren Cross were great, partly because they all had input in the songs.  You can tell the different styles from each of them.

Although sometimes if it's the same person all (or most) of the time, it still works really well.  Take Bob Hartman or Matt Smith, they're just sooo good I'd be happy to listen to them forever.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:11 am

Fundy wrote:Yes, that can definitely be true.  Barren Cross were great, partly because they all had input in the songs.  You can tell the different styles from each of them.

Although sometimes if it's the same person all (or most) of the time, it still works really well.  Take Bob Hartman or Matt Smith, they're just sooo good I'd be happy to listen to them forever.

Yeah that’s why I carefully included “it’s not always the case”… LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tourniguy Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 am

I don`t know why Luke was asked to leave the band. All I know is that every time I listen to Gazing at Meduza I keep thinking how it would sound with Luke. The conclusion is always the same, it would sound better.

Tourniguy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:27 pm

I guess it will be a mystery why Luke was let go. But there could be one small hint or clue… Luke himself said that Ted wasn’t thrilled that he wanted to release a solo album. That may be where it started. 

I know it sounds dumb, but remember how James Hetfield forbid Jason Newsted to do anything outside of Metallica. It caused a rift in the relationship.

**This is just a theory. Not misinformation! The solo album story was straight from Luke’s mouth.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:31 pm

I really like G@M, but I’d love to have heard Luke on it. Especially because his vocals on AB were some of his best ever.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Luke Easter and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:21 pm

TZ75 wrote:If I just read that last comment correctly… I agree with you (for my own reasons). I was also disappointed. I had said on here that I felt that Ripper “phoned in” his performance and Ted didn’t like my opinion. Maybe I should’ve kept my opinion to myself, but this is a “discussion board”. And I didn’t mean to disrespect his album. The music is okay… 
Are we to regret everything we ever say if someone suddenly passes? We live one day at a time. 

I can't speak to whether or not Tim "phoned it in." I doubt it, because he's a pro, and that wouldn't really be professional, but I don't know.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you're entitled to share it. Some people don't like criticism. You shouldn't regret speaking your mind about a album you've purchased.

TZ75 wrote:Btw… Jimmy P. Brown has stated on his podcast that Ted used to critique every album he released for years, until Jimmy told him to stop! 😄

Yeah. 

jaydeecrawson wrote:I don't think I've ever listened to "Gazing at Medusa" more than 2 or 3 minutes.... YAWN!

My first thoughts are:

It may have been smart on Ted's part to change the formula up a little... like when a brand isn't "selling", you change the logo, cut your hair and get a few new band members... like Metallica. Lot's of bands do it... it's marketing. It keep the conversation moving and gets more chatter (I think)

No criticism to Luke at all, but that "may" have been his thinking? I dunno. not saying they weren't selling either. it's just my theory and it doesn't mean anything at all. But that MAY HAVE been his idea behind the vocal change up?

I also agree when I heard he had Ripper "phoned in his performance" as you say... I agree with that comment.

that was my impression too. I like Ripper OK... I liked his Judas Priest and Iced Earth stuff a little but it's not Halford or Matt Barlow... not my thang.

My fav. Luke album is "Vanishing Lessons" for sure. I loved it because I was in college at the time it came out and I have very fond memories of it. I think it was VERY good.

I was optimistic when I heard Deen on the title track. Deen is a killer vocalist. I think Deen did a great job with the material ahe was given to work with. ]\

I have no idea what the thought processes were behind anything past a certain point with that band. 

I'm happy you dig VL.

Tourniguy wrote:I don`t know why Luke was asked to leave the band. All I know is that every time I listen to Gazing at Meduza I keep thinking how it would sound with Luke. The conclusion is always the same, it would sound better.

That makes two of us. I don't know either.

I don't know that it would have sounded better with me singing.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:27 pm

TZ75 wrote:I guess it will be a mystery why Luke was let go. But there could be one small hint or clue… Luke himself said that Ted wasn’t thrilled that he wanted to release a solo album. That may be where it started. 

I know it sounds dumb, but remember how James Hetfield forbid Jason Newsted to do anything outside of Metallica. It caused a rift in the relationship.

**This is just a theory. Not misinformation! The solo album story was straight from Luke’s mouth.

I don't think it was that. He wasn't keen on it at the time, but later he released solo stuff, and indicated that he no longer thought it was a bad thing. But who knows. I could make guesses, but whats the point? He's gone. What would be the point? We had a good run; a longer one than most of our contemporaries. We did some cool work together.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Tourniguy, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 pm

It is human nature to be inquisitive.

…and to have a little thing called closure. But you seem to be doing fine without knowing.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:51 pm

TZ75 wrote:I guess there’s no point because he’s gone… but it is human nature to be inquisitive.

…and a little thing called closure.

Closure is overrated. The quest for closure often opens more wounds than it resolves. I don't really care at this point. I am happier on my own.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

jaydeecrawson, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:08 am

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I guess there’s no point because he’s gone… but it is human nature to be inquisitive.

…and a little thing called closure.

Closure is overrated. The quest for closure often opens more wounds than it resolves. I don't really care at this point. I am happier on my own.

Dang Luke.

You're a sage... I'm super impressed with your answers..

wish we could sit down and have a brew dog one day (not implying you drink beer or don't drink beer)... just saying you sound awesome. thanks again

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Luke Easter and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:12 pm

jaydeecrawson wrote:Dang Luke.

You're a sage... I'm super impressed with your answers..

wish we could sit down and have a brew dog one day (not implying you drink beer or don't drink beer)... just saying you sound awesome. thanks again

Thanks. I just try to be honest, but I also don't want to stir the pot so I try to be careful with what I say. Especially when it comes to band history.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tourniguy Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:54 pm

Luke, why Carry the Wounded wasn`t a full album? I am sure it wasn`t for lack of creativity!

Tourniguy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 pm

Wow, just found this thread today and read the whole thing. Thank you Luke for answering all of these questions. You and Tourniquet have been and always will be a huge part of my life. Can't wait to hear more music from you in the future.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Luke Easter, Wigeon and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:43 pm

What topics are you not interested to write lyrics about?
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:17 pm

Tourniguy wrote:Luke, why Carry the Wounded wasn`t a full album? I am sure it wasn`t for lack of creativity!

Carry The Wounded was not really planned. "Twilight" got traction at rock radio, and the label wanted to build on that. "My Promise" worked, but only up to the middle when the big guitars and the more metal vocal kicked in, so that wasn't going to work. In the meantime, Ted had written a ballad he wanted to release as a single. Our label, and the CCM industry, was not in the business of single, so that was a no go. An agreement was struck to do an EP; Frontline got their followup single for radio, Ted got to record his ballad. and we got to keep the VL momentum going. If I remember correctly, the bulk of it was recorded in a couple weeks.

WIgeon wrote:Wow, just found this thread today and read the whole thing. Thank you Luke for answering all of these questions. You and Tourniquet have been and always will be a huge part of my life. Can't wait to hear more music from you in the future.

Love you, amigo. You are one of the OGs, and I value your friendship.

TZ75 wrote:What topics are you not interested to write lyrics about?

I don't approach it that way. I don't have a list of topics I want to address, or a list of stuff I want to avoid. I generally have an idea and expand on it, or I have a hook and I figure out what else I can say using that hook as the foundation.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Fundy, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:47 am

Luke. and about your joining into Reign Of Glory, what you can tell us?
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, Fundy, Wigeon, eatbugs, Pethead, Ammocas and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by a_donkey-named-kevin Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:44 pm

I really hope Luke gets to do an album with Reign OG, I'd like them to stay true to his solo albums vocal approach.. in other words, I'd like them to cater to his voice, rather than he cater to their sound... Maybe we can finally get a Bon Jovi cover?, LOLOLOL!!

a_donkey-named-kevin
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:05 pm

a_donkey-named-kevin wrote:I really hope Luke gets to do an album with Reign OG, I'd like them to stay true to his solo albums vocal approach.. in other words, I'd like them to cater to his voice, rather than he cater to their sound... Maybe we can finally get a Bon Jovi cover?, LOLOLOL!!

?
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next