The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New interview

+17
Wigeon
Staybrite
Grindboy
deathisgain
Bahana
scottmitchell74
Follower of Jesus
Fundy
Tourniguy
MagnusPrime
crucifyd
Airola
Sevenoneself
jaydeecrawson
TZ75
Pethead
Luke Easter
21 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New interview  - Page 5 Empty Re: New interview

Post by Airola Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:02 am

TZ75 wrote:
jaydeecrawson wrote:Carl Grimmark is doing the bald look too... (I've personally been rocking it for over 12 years now too)

I was thinking the same thing about Mark Solomon or Eric Clayton too....

FUNNY story about Chris Barnes and Cannibal.... glad Luke shared it

there's a bunch of dudes in the mainstream "secular" scene doing it too..... Venom Inc. for instance....

Kerry King, Scott Ian and Rob Halford have been bald for decades. I think they do it because of natural balding. Phil Anselmo does it by choice.

I remember someone asking Aaron back in the day in the Tourniquet Discussion Zone if he's going to grow back his hair.
Aaron's reply was: "not until nature reverses its progression"

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:21 am

From a band image perspective, I think both bald and long hair looks more “metal” than a standard short haircut. 

That said… what someone looks like shouldn’t matter. It’s superficial.

Last edited by TZ75 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 am; edited 3 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 am

Luke Easter wrote:
As to the demo thing, us doing demos was not the issue. By that point we were a known entity, and any label that might have been interested in working with us would have had a clear picture of the range of possibilities, stylistically and sonically, that an album by us would include. The issue was lack of touring. Everyone we spoke to wanted ticket sale information, and a commitment to X number of dates if they were going to sign us. We'd never been road dogs, and by that time none of us was in a position to drop everything and hit the road, so we hit a brick wall in terms of a label. Which eventually took us to Kickstarter, and yadda yadda yadda...

The chat room crash was way before that, I think. I think that was closer to when Aaron first returned. But I do remember logging on, saying hello, and the whole thing crashing. Good times.

Thanks for clarifying it. I think I misunderstood what Ted wrote back then. I remember him actually saying the same thing about labels knowing you well enough and mentioning something about demos, maybe replying to someone who might've asked if there were any demos written yet or something like that, and I probably misunderstood that. For some reason this was the thing I remembered from that discussion, but now that you replied I remember he did talk about the touring problem and them requiring ticket sale info etc. Makes more sense.

Yeah the chat room crash may have been way before. You had a handful of these fan chats and it felt like a big event to us fans. I think I remember Aaron also trying to say something. The people responsible for setting up the chat tried to get it fixed and the chat reopened many times, only to crash over and over again.

Oh! Just remembered!
One year Aaron came to the discussion board to tell he had left the band again only to get back some days or a week or two later to tell that was a joke. It was an april fools joke told before the actual April Fool's Day but revealed to be a joke during that day. I remember the reception to that being a mixture of "ok, I guess that was funny" and "this is not how an April Fool's joke is supposed to be done" Very Happy In hindsight it was funny trolling on a whole another level, but it did make a few hearts take an extra skip.

Good times indeed!

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 am

Luke,

What is your take (pun intended) regarding the future availability of Tourniquet music and merch? Do you think someone will step up and keep the name alive, or will everything become bootleg products and one off reissues of particular albums by independent record labels?

I remember Ted had said he was planning to reissue the guitar instructional video he did with Aaron on DVD (with possible extra content). I guess someone (perhaps a fan) that works in media could take the old footage and remaster it to a DVD, but without anything new…
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:29 pm

TZ75 wrote:Luke,

What is your take (pun intended) regarding the future availability of Tourniquet music and merch? Do you think someone will step up and keep the name alive, or will everything become bootleg products and one off reissues of particular albums by independent record labels?

I don't understand the question. The catalog is still available. Merch is still available. Cristy, Ted's widow, controls all of it so far as I know. I've had no involvement since late 2015. So I can't comment about anything specific.

TZ75 wrote:I remember Ted had said he was planning to reissue the guitar instructional video he did with Aaron on DVD (with possible extra content). I guess someone (perhaps a fan) that works in media could take the old footage and remaster it to a DVD, but without anything new…

Ted always had ideas for how to repackage merch and sell it again. Ideas and plans are not always the same thing. Beyond that, I have no idea.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:47 pm

Really digging this thread, thanks for sharing so much Luke.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Luke Easter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:09 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Luke,

I don't understand the question. The catalog is still available. Merch is still available. Cristy, Ted's widow, controls all of it so far as I know. I've had no involvement since late 2015. So I can't comment about anything specific.

TZ75 wrote:I remember Ted had said he was planning to reissue the guitar instructional video he did with Aaron on DVD (with possible extra content). I guess someone (perhaps a fan) that works in media could take the old footage and remaster it to a DVD, but without anything new…

Ted always had ideas for how to repackage merch and sell it again. Ideas and plans are not always the same thing. Beyond that, I have no idea.

That’s why I said “future” availability. I know as of now it’s still available, but when all the last reissues are sold, I was wondering what you think will happen. Of coarse there will be some used copies and way overpriced (new and sealed) copies on eBay. 
I’m wondering if someone will be hired to oversee the preservation of the Tourniquet brand and legacy. I know you no longer have any say with it, but I was asking your opinion of how you might see it panning out later. As a fan, it’s normal to wonder these things. Someday the guys in Metallica and other bands won’t be around… someone will control the catalog. Lots of bands and artists/songwriters have been selling their intellectual property and music catalogs (as they get older) to firms that license the music to others. Nikki Sixx did it a few years ago (for example). 

Bottom line… I just want Tourniquet’s music to continue to be available in the future. I guess it will be on a streaming format, but what about physical products? I don’t want the bootleggers to take advantage. 

I’m sorry, I don’t see this inquiry as inappropriate. The music needs to live on! I believe Ted wouldn’t want his life’s work to disappear.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:01 pm

TZ75 wrote:That’s why I said “future” availability. I know as of now it’s still available, but when all the last reissues are sold, I was wondering what you think will happen.

Like I said, I have no idea. I imagine Cristy will figure out how to make the catalog remain profitable. Of course that assumes that there is still a demand for it, which is arguable. Yes, there are hardcore fans, but the majority of them have bought the material before at least once. Why would they need another version?

TZ75 wrote:Of coarse there will be some used copies and way overpriced (new and sealed) copies on eBay. 

You and I don't get to decide whether or not something in the secondary market is overpriced; the market does. So long as someone is willing to pay more than you or I would, the market will continue to support that pricing. That's just basic economics.

TZ75 wrote:I’m wondering if someone will be hired to oversee the preservation of the Tourniquet brand and legacy.

I doubt it. 

TZ75 wrote:I know you no longer have any say with it, but I was asking your opinion of how you might see it panning out later. 

And I answered you as best I could. Sorry the response doesn't meet your expectations.

TZ75 wrote:As a fan, it’s normal to wonder these things.

Wondering is normal. Feeling entitled to knowledge of internal business dealings is not. Frankly, unless and until something is announced (if ever) it's really none of your business.

TZ75 wrote: Someday the guys in Metallica and other bands won’t be around… someone will control the catalog. 

And thats all stuff that's going to have to be resolved at some point. But again, that's really none of your business. I realize you probably don't like me pointing that out, but thats the reality of it.

TZ75 wrote:Lots of bands and artists/songwriters have been selling their intellectual property and music catalogs (as they get older) to firms that license the music to others. Nikki Sixx did it a few years ago (for example). 

Those bands have catalogs that have strong residual value, and solid prospects of continuing to generate a return. Those are bands with actual hits and significant global fanbases. Those deals are also generally selling off the publishing; not control of the masters or any of that.  

TZ75 wrote:Bottom line… I just want Tourniquet’s music to continue to be available in the future.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

TZ75 wrote: I guess it will be on a streaming format, but what about physical products? I don’t want the bootleggers to take advantage. 

There is less and less demand for physical product, so there is a shrinking market for bootleggers to tap into. Not to mention, there'd have to be a market for the bootlegger to tap into at all in order to make it worth the investment in product. 

TZ75 wrote:I’m sorry, I don’t see this inquiry as inappropriate. 

You're wrong. It's rude and presumptuous. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying you're bing rude intentionally, but I do think you need to check yourself. You'r post comes off as very demanding and entitled.

TZ75 wrote:

The music needs to live on! 

And it will. So long as there are copies floating around and people who connect with what we do, the music will continue to thrive. 

TZ75 wrote:I believe Ted wouldn’t want his life’s work to disappear.

The fact that you call it his life's work is an insult to every other one of us who contributed to that legacy. Ted was very talented; super creative. He was also just one person who contributed to what you all know as Tourniquet.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:40 pm

Thanks for the “cut and dry” responses. You don’t beat around the bush. 

I don’t agree with all your points of view, but I respect them!

When I said I wonder about things (as a fan), that’s where it ends. No demands or entitlements! 

Trust me, I was struggling with which words I should use on the last comment. I originally wrote Ted and Tourniquet (hence the other past members). But for some reason I said Ted. Maybe because I feel bad that he’s gone and he was the leader for the majority of years.

Trust me, most of my favorite Tourniquet songs are Lenaire/Ritter compositions. My favorite album is Psycho Surgery. 

Thanks for answering my questions. Words can seem cold when typed over the internet (as opposed to talking to someone face to face in person. 

Can we still be friends? Smile
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Luke Easter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:45 pm

TZ75 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5FAsF_PIk

(sorry)
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:47 pm

I kind of lost interest after Moth and Rust Destroy.... Not that I quite "liking" Tourniquet, but life got too busy to keep up..... kids, divorces, lay offs, etc.... I'm 46 now and just don't have the time to search out new bands and new releases that often at all... But, like Luke said: I'm a hard core fan and have all the physical releases and I'm good to go...

I wish there was some way the other members could pick up the ball and carry on the legacy but I get the intuition that Ted owned it all. and legally owned the brand.... which is fine of course (not my business like Luke said).... 

bands are like families in many ways... they fight like brothers and sometimes it gets complicated and ugly (like any relationship I think)

I also know there are a lot of other bands that lose a member or two and carry on but Tourniquet is different cause one guy eventually controlled it all.... Kind of like Tobias from Ghost.... or Roger from Vengeance Rising.....

At least that's been my impression... but like I said: I got older and too busy to keep up.

Oh and speaking of Ghost... Luke, what do you think of Ghost? Have you heard them?

Last edited by jaydeecrawson on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Pethead wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5FAsF_PIk

(sorry)

Haha!

At least you didn’t post the Barney song!

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:59 pm

I love Flood (the next best thing to classic Tourniquet), but it’s a different animal… 

I guess it’s all we got now!

We got Luke’s music as well, but his stuff is also drastically different.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:05 pm

TZ75 wrote:Thanks for the “cut and dry” responses. You don’t beat around the bush. 

I don’t agree with all your points of view, but I respect them!

When I said I wonder about things (as a fan), that’s where it ends. No demands or entitlements! 

Trust me, I was struggling with which words I should use on the last comment. I originally wrote Ted and Tourniquet (hence the other past members). But for some reason I said Ted. Maybe because I feel bad that he’s gone and he was the leader for the majority of years.

Trust me, most of my favorite Tourniquet songs are Lenaire/Ritter compositions. My favorite album is Psycho Surgery. 

Thanks for answering my questions. Words can seem cold when typed over the internet (as opposed to talking to someone face to face in person. 

Of course we can still be friends. Like I said in my response, I didn't want to accuse you of intentionally overstepping. I get that a lot can get lost in a post. Thanks for being gracious.

jaydeecrawson wrote:I kind of lost interest after Moth and Rust Destroy.... Not that I quite "liking" Tourniquet, but life got too busy to keep up..... kids, divorces, lay offs, etc.... I'm 46 now and just don't have the time to search out new bands and new releases that often at all... But, like Luke said: I'm a hard core fan and have all the physical releases and I'm good to go...

You're not the first one I've heard say that. I get it. Life happens. Thanks for listening, though!

jaydeecrawson wrote:I wish there was some way the other members could pick up the ball and carry on the legacy but I get the intuition that Ted owned it all. and legally owned the brand.... which is fine of course (not my business like Luke said).... 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I honestly don't think any of us are interested. I know I'm not. I'm happier solo. The past is the past.

jaydeecrawson wrote:bands are like families in many ways... they fight like brothers and sometimes it gets complicated and ugly (like any relationship I think)

Exactly.

jaydeecrawson wrote:I also know there are a lot of other bands that lose a member or two and carry on but Tourniquet is different cause one guy eventually controlled it all.... Kind of like Tobias from Ghost.... or Roger from Vengeance Rising.....

At least that's been my impression... but like I said: I got older and too busy to keep up.

When I joined, it was a band. When I left, it hadn't been a band in a long, long time.

jaydeecrawson wrote:Oh and speaking of Ghost... Luke, what do you think of Ghost? Have you heard them?

I have no opinion. I've heard of them, but I've never heard anything by them.

TZ75 wrote:I love Flood (the next best thing to classic Tourniquet), but it’s a different animal… 

I guess it’s all we got now!

We got Luke’s music as well, but his stuff is also drastically different.

I think Flood is probably what the band sound would have morphed into - at least for a bit - if they hadn't parted ways with Guy. I am a fan of that dbut album, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary and Guy come up with on the next one.

My stuff is different in part because thats how my brain works, musically speaking, but also by design. I did the metal thing for a long time. Why just keep doing the same thing again?
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:17 pm

If anyone were to take on the role of leader in a new version of Tourniquet, it would definitely be Gary! Gary is a type A leader personality and just as much a creative force or “go getter” as Ted was. He’s the guy that reached out to Guy Ritter and put Flood together. And before that, Echo Hollow. But you know the old adage about “two heads are better than one”? Gary understood that and he is amazing working with his longtime friend Guy. 

One correction about Luke’s music… I think his stuff isn’t too far removed from the “Carry the Wounded” material. Just more pop!  Smile
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Luke, am I way off base or out of line comparing your solo music to Carry the Wounded?

I do not wish to spread misinformation.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:09 pm

TZ75 wrote:Luke, am I way off base or out of line comparing your solo music to Carry the Wounded?

LOL

Fair comparison. I think my stuff works better though.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:43 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Luke, am I way off base or out of line comparing your solo music to Carry the Wounded?

LOL

Fair comparison. I think my stuff works better though.

Your stuff is definitely more upbeat and modern! 

Carry the Wounded felt like a throwback to 1970’s singer/songwriter mellow rock (or maybe it was the Fleetwood Mac song). LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Luke Easter and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:54 pm

I just listened to Carry the Wounded on YouTube. It’s been years…

I can hear styles similar to: Seals and Crofts, The Carpenters, Eagles and of coarse Fleetwood Mac. 

I may be completely wrong, but those are the vibes I hear.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:21 pm

TZ75 wrote:I just listened to Carry the Wounded on YouTube. It’s been years…

I can hear styles similar to: Seals and Crofts, The Carpenters, Eagles and of coarse Fleetwood Mac. 

I honestly don't know who the influences are behind that EP. Aside from "My Promise' and the cover of "Oh, Well," Ted wrote it all.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:17 pm

Luke Easter wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I just listened to Carry the Wounded on YouTube. It’s been years…

I honestly don't know who the influences are behind that EP. Aside from "My Promise' and the cover of "Oh, Well," Ted wrote it all.

Yeah, I’m not 100% sure either. The bands I mentioned just came to mind. But the Fleetwood Mac cover is a good indication of the sound he was shooting for with his songs. It has a 70’s vibe (overall).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:20 pm

Nothing wrong with 70’s mellow rock. I love some songs from Gerry Rafferty, Seals and Crofts and the Eagles.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Tourniguy Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:18 pm

Was there ever a time when you listened to a Tourniquet song (or album) and thought "oh god, this is really good"?

Tourniguy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:01 am

Are you a fan of Trixter’s first album?
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Easter Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:13 pm

Tourniguy wrote:Was there ever a time when you listened to a Tourniquet song (or album) and thought "oh god, this is really good"?

The ones I did? No. Once they were finished I didn't really listen to them that much, and when I did I always heard things that could have been different or better. That's not to say I don't like the work. The ones recorded before i joined? Of course. Especially Pathogenic.

TZ75 wrote:Are you a fan of Trixter’s first album?

Some of it. The majority of the songs are solid, well constructed, hooky pop rock. The singles that charted deserved the attention they got. But the album production isn't great. I know there were resons for that, but that makes me less a fan of it. But I do like it.
Luke Easter
Luke Easter
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next