The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skid Row

+2
Staybrite
Follower of Jesus
6 posters

Go down

Skid Row Empty Skid Row

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri May 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I really like this band's first two records. The Baz has one of the best voices in metal history. It didn't matter if it was a blistering metal track like Slave To The Grind, or a mellow song like I Remember You...the dude can flat out sing. Those first two records also feature stellar songwriting. Some of the lyrics are sketchy, so I skip over a few of the songs, but most of them are great. My favorites are "Youth Gone Wild", "Makin' A Mess", "Monkey Business" and my all-time favorite Skid Row song "The Threat". But there's loads of great songs on both albums.

Unfortunately after those two records, they changed style a little bit. Subhuman Race does little for me. It has a few decent moments, but they are far too few to keep me coming back to that record. And after the Baz left, I lost interest totally. Their latest album, even still without Bach, is decent. But nothing in their catalog since 1991 holds a candle to the greatness of those first two albums.

Easily one of my favorite of the 80s bands.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Skid Row Empty Re: Skid Row

Post by Staybrite Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 pm

I completely agree with you.
I saw them live (opening for Bon Jovi) in support of their first album and was just blown away.  I remember playing those first two albums to death, but never could get into "Subhuman Race".  I didn't even bother with anything after that.
It seems like one of those situations where everyone involved could be much more successful if they would just let go of their problems with each other and regroup with Baz back on vocals.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 11razorwire Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm

I agree. Slave to the Grind is just a headbanger's dream and their debut S/T album is great. I did like Revolutions Per Minute enough to purchase it recently, but it's clearly not up to the level of the first 2 albums.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 2:50 pm

I love the Bach Albums for sure..even subhuman race..Like already stated Slave To The Grind isa headbangers dream..I have the unedited version with the extra bonus track Twisted Evil..It was one of my theme songs back in the day when I divorced my first wife  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:08 am

The first 2 records are great. There are a few troublesome lyrics but I find them less offensive than a lot of similar bands. Mudkicker is probably my favorite song: killer groove.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:33 pm

I read that Bach is up for a reunion but said its up to the band..

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldMan2084 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:42 am

I liked the first one a lot but never twigged onto the second for whatever reason. I think at the time I was only listening to Christian music, so I didn't pay it any attention.
TheOldMan2084
TheOldMan2084
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:01 am

Their first album was a breath of fresh air and Slave just built on the foundation already set.  Sub-Human is a strange album.  I think the band's inner turmoil at this point led to sub-par delivery.  Thickskin is all right though I don't like I Remember You Two.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Xid wrote:....  Thickskin is all right though I don't like I Remember You Two.

I had no idea that they had rerecorded that iconic song....so I went to youtube to check it out.   Shocked What a mistake, I had to double check and make sure it wasn't actually just a Blink 182 cover of the song.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down