The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novella looking to book studio time, needs to know we care and they aren't just wasting their time and money

+10
d@v!d
Staybrite
Temple of Blood
KaramKaram
Blake
Candlemass
Follower of Jesus
alldatndensum
bodachi
deathisgain
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Novella looking to book studio time, needs to know we care and they aren't just wasting their time and money - Page 2 Empty Re: Novella looking to book studio time, needs to know we care and they aren't just wasting their time and money

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:53 pm

And I am pretty sure that a band like Quensryche, which has made millions of dollars, can afford to buy top of the line equipment for an in home studio.

Not a fair comparison

Back to top Go down

Novella looking to book studio time, needs to know we care and they aren't just wasting their time and money - Page 2 Empty Re: Novella looking to book studio time, needs to know we care and they aren't just wasting their time and money

Post by exo Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:30 am

Actually, these days, "top of the line" recording gear doesn't necessarily cost a ton when you are specifically referring to recording guitar and bass tones in a home environment.....assuming that the band has guitars, amps,  and cabs they are happy with, you can grab an SM57 mic and a decent interface for probably under $300, run that into Reaper DAW (stupidly cheap, and the main competitor to Pro Tools), and your computer doesn't have to be a multi thousand dollar beast for all that to work.  It's STUPIDLY cheap to record good guitars these days, and a perfectly reasonable comparison.QR is most certainly NOTrolling in the same dough they were 20 years ago, that is for certain.

All that aside, I TOTALLY "get it" where they're coming from.  doesn't sound to ME like there is a drivin personal interest, but more an "if the fans want us to" type deal, and if there aren't enough "fans", well.........

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:15 am

Exo,

Of course QR isn't making millions now, but they have made millions over their career. Novella has never come close to that amount of money.

I see a lot of bands that still use studios. I would assume a studio can generally afford better equipment than an individual. So even if someone could buy equipment for their home, I don't see what is so wrong about a band wanting the best they can get and feeling that the best comes from using a studio.

And you may be right about his heart not being in at as much. Who knows.

I know that this rekindling all started with Skull Fest a couple of years ago after the way his performance was received.

Luckily, I recorded a couple of good videos of his performance that he was able to share on his personal page.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 am

I record all my stuff at home. Reason has some basic mastering plugins as well to improve the final product or gear it toward a particular sound (rock, electronic, etc). Personally when I make my Amelioration stuff I set the mastering plugin to Drum n Bass Laughing, I think it gives it a richer sound.

you can make pro quality stuff at home, its just a matter of obtaining the software thats right for you and learning it. I have to admit some DAWs are hard to learn, took me awhile to wrap my head around Reason
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 am

I don't think this is a matter of equipment or studios. I think they are trying to rely on past notoriety to see if they still have a fan base. If they really want to record an album, they'll find a way to do it. It used to be a "big deal" to record an album. Not so much anymore. Now the means are there for just about anyone to do it. I would think that they would want to focus on rebuilding the fan base, instead of worrying about how many fans are still there from years ago.
Benny4SR
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://fourstarrevival.fourfour.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:23 am

exo wrote:All that aside, I TOTALLY "get it" where they're coming from.  doesn't sound to ME like there is a drivin personal interest, but more an "if the fans want us to" type deal, and if there aren't enough "fans", well.........
Yeah, I get that too, but I wonder what happened to good old fashioned narcissism. What about just putting your music out there because you really believe in it and find satisfaction in it of itself?
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:53 am

NoOneIsHere wrote:You crack me up, Temple.

You always come off sounding so bitter about other bands.

When was the last time you put out an album, if it's so easy?

I didn't say it was "easy".  Sounds like you're the one missing the point.  I'm taking my own advice here.

I'm saying don't give up if you really believe in it and that it doesn't take a ton of money.  Do you understand now?

Asking your fans if you should give up and begging for more attention is lame.  I can understand the impulse, I really do, but I can't condone it.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:55 am

exo wrote:Actually, these days, "top of the line" recording gear doesn't necessarily cost a ton when you are specifically referring to recording guitar and bass tones in a home environment.....assuming that the band has guitars, amps,  and cabs they are happy with, you can grab an SM57 mic and a decent interface for probably under $300, run that into Reaper DAW (stupidly cheap, and the main competitor to Pro Tools), and your computer doesn't have to be a multi thousand dollar beast for all that to work.  It's STUPIDLY cheap to record good guitars these days, and a perfectly reasonable comparison.QR is most certainly NOTrolling in the same dough they were 20 years ago, that is for certain.

Bingo!  This is one reason the music scene is flooded with so many releases this day.  Personally, I think it's fantastic.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:57 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:You crack me up, Temple.

You always come off sounding so bitter about other bands.

When was the last time you put out an album, if it's so easy?

I didn't say it was "easy".  Sounds like you're the one missing the point.  I'm taking my own advice here.

I'm saying don't give up if you really believe in it and that it doesn't take a ton of money.  Do you understand now?

Asking your fans if you should give up and begging for more attention is lame.  I can understand the impulse, I really do, but I can't condone it.

I really don't think he was "begging"..he was just being transparent. 

I would much rather have that instead of being another Barren Cross....who totally stops answering questions and pretty much disappears after saying they are going to do a new album...which I believe BC has done at least twice to us now

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:58 am

Benny4SR wrote: I would think that they would want to focus on rebuilding the fan base, instead of worrying about how many fans are still there from years ago.

Absolutely.  Making great music is VERY hard, especially for all of us with families and full-time jobs (meaning most of us).  But too many artists are just willing to rest on their laurels and just live off of past glory instead of continually topping themselves.  It's human nature for sure, but we shouldn't encourage them.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
exo wrote:Actually, these days, "top of the line" recording gear doesn't necessarily cost a ton when you are specifically referring to recording guitar and bass tones in a home environment.....assuming that the band has guitars, amps,  and cabs they are happy with, you can grab an SM57 mic and a decent interface for probably under $300, run that into Reaper DAW (stupidly cheap, and the main competitor to Pro Tools), and your computer doesn't have to be a multi thousand dollar beast for all that to work.  It's STUPIDLY cheap to record good guitars these days, and a perfectly reasonable comparison.QR is most certainly NOTrolling in the same dough they were 20 years ago, that is for certain.

Bingo!  This is one reason the music scene is flooded with so many releases this day.  Personally, I think it's fantastic.

Yeah, but that can also be a bad thing, as a lot of the music being released is garbage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny4SR Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Benny4SR wrote: I would think that they would want to focus on rebuilding the fan base, instead of worrying about how many fans are still there from years ago.

Absolutely.  Making great music is VERY hard, especially for all of us with families and full-time jobs (meaning most of us).  But too many artists are just willing to rest on their laurels and just live off of past glory instead of continually topping themselves.  It's human nature for sure, but we shouldn't encourage them.

No doubt! We in 4SR have all had varying degrees of past success (mostly minor), but it's been years since any of us have done anything of note. Like I told the guys, it's like we've essentially started over. It doesn't matter what accomplishments we've made, who we've played with, or what dues we've paid. We are starting from the ground up. Unless you made a MAJOR splash in the industry, you have to approach it like that.
Benny4SR
Benny4SR
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://fourstarrevival.fourfour.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Wooohooo it looks like this will happen 864 likes on their FB!!!
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:14 pm

i dont think he is trying to guilt trip at all just putting out his feelers and fair enough. I think they should release a new album despite anything.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by grandeped Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm really glad when bands can record for cheap, and would rather hear a low budget album than no album at all... but you can still tell the difference. Spending more money on the more expensive equipment and hiring people who know what they are doing makes a huge difference. Andy Prickett of The Prayer Chain fame was talking about this in an interview last year. I think him or someone else associated with him had a whole series of blog posts after that that explained why the higher cost route sounds better.

If you can't afford it, then there is nothing wrong with going the cheap route - it will still sound okay to good if you know what you are doing. But I do wish more metal bands had more money to put into recording - the "recorded at home" sound of so many albums is noticeable on so many albums these days. Not the bands fault - I just wish there was more money in it.

grandeped
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 am

Agreed, grandeped....

A lot of the established artists still use studios and I am glad they do

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2