The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Kamelot album: HAVEN

5 posters

Go down

New Kamelot album: HAVEN Empty New Kamelot album: HAVEN

Post by Friday13th Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Haven comes out today in the U.S. 
Anyone have it yet or interested? 

I've only heard the two singles. I think this one is the better of the two. The video is a little predictable with this whole distopian thing going on, but I think it's a good song. 

Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

New Kamelot album: HAVEN Empty Re: New Kamelot album: HAVEN

Post by Parched Earth Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 am

I got it.  I've only listened to it twice so far, so it's a little hard to judge, but I like what I am hearing.  It sounds like you'd expect from Kamelot.  Several songs are stuck in my head, so that's a good sign of catchiness.  It still floors me how similar Tommy Karevik's voice is to Khan in places.
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Yeah, it's pretty good. I still think Silverthorn is better. Tommy still sounds like Khan, which I had expected to lessen over time but not so much.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Khan has been one of my favorite vocalists since his days in Conception, so no complaints from me for Tommy trying to emulate him (since he does a pretty good job at it). Smile
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 pm

I guess I was expecting the sound of Seventh Wonder to mix in with Kamelot, which is a bit unrealistic I guess. Which reminds me, I wonder how the new Seventh Wonder album will turn out. The single was a bit cheesey for my tastes.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Wed May 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Trying to digest the new album, listened to it a couple times now.  It's good, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Silverthorn. One thing I wish they'd get rid of is the growling/screaming female vocal parts…getting old!

Last edited by Pershing1134 on Thu May 07, 2015 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 am

Agreed, I don't think the growls works on Haven. I did think it was tastefully done on "Sacrimony", but there it was very brief.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Thu May 07, 2015 5:49 pm

As much as I dig Tommy's voice, I still have not checked out Seventh Wonder.  Any recommendations on a song or album to start with?

It's funny, I don't mind the growls on Haven.  If you'd asked me 20 years ago to listen to something with any hint of growling, it would have been an immediate turn off, but now I actually enjoy them in small doses, depending on the song.
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu May 07, 2015 8:41 pm

Yeah man, this one is probably my favorite. It has a good dose of power metal! 

Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Thu May 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Wow.  Tommy sounds much less Khan-like on that song.  I like prog as much as power metal, so they may be a good band to explore further.
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu May 07, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah, check out this album and the next two. Probably the best is Mercy Falls, which is a concept album. If you like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery etc. that's what to expect. Really good though, I thought Tommy was one of the best metal singers before he even joined Kamelot.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD Fri May 08, 2015 5:28 am

Shouldn't this band be in the Christian section?  scratch
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Fri May 08, 2015 6:01 am

Neither band is openly Christian, but you do hear Christian themes from time to time. Roy Khan is a Christian though.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Fri May 08, 2015 8:25 am

Friday13th wrote:Yeah, check out this album and the next two. Probably the best is Mercy Falls, which is a concept album. If you like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery etc. that's what to expect. Really good though, I thought Tommy was one of the best metal singers before he even joined Kamelot.

I like all three of those bands, actually. Smile DT was my favorite band for almost 20 years until Theocracy took the top spot.  They still take up almost 10 percent of my CD collection (of over 1000 CDs).
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 am

Parched Earth wrote:
Friday13th wrote:Yeah, check out this album and the next two. Probably the best is Mercy Falls, which is a concept album. If you like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery etc. that's what to expect. Really good though, I thought Tommy was one of the best metal singers before he even joined Kamelot.

I like all three of those bands, actually. Smile DT was my favorite band for almost 20 years until Theocracy took the top spot.  They still take up almost 10 percent of my CD collection (of over 1000 CDs).

Same! Thumbs up Except for the 20 years part. That would mean I was digging DT since I was a one-year-old.  Razz I think we might have talked about our love for DT and Theocracy in another thread. I have about 300+ CDs, and yeah I have the most of DT and Rush. Can't wait till the next Theocracy. It's killing me!
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Fri May 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Friday13th wrote:Same! Thumbs up Except for the 20 years part. That would mean I was digging DT since I was a one-year-old.  Razz I think we might have talked about our love for DT and Theocracy in another thread. I have about 300+ CDs, and yeah I have the most of DT and Rush. Can't wait till the next Theocracy. It's killing me!

You mean you weren't rockin' to DT at age one?  Banging your rattle in odd time signatures?  Laughing I love Rush, too, but still have more DT CDs with all the singles (except "Lie"), live releases, official bootlegs, fan club CDs (except the first one), etc.  Thankfully to my pocketbook, I have not been as anal a collector of other bands, sticking mainly to studio albums. Smile  I am also very much looking forward to the new Theocracy!
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Parched Earth Sat May 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Friday13th wrote:I thought Tommy was one of the best metal singers before he even joined Kamelot.

It's funny that this was my thought as well, except replace Tommy with Khan. Smile  I was very excited when Khan joined Kamelot (though sad that it meant Conception was done).
Parched Earth
Parched Earth
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Sat May 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Parched Earth wrote:
Friday13th wrote:I thought Tommy was one of the best metal singers before he even joined Kamelot.

It's funny that this was my thought as well, except replace Tommy with Khan. Smile  I was very excited when Khan joined Kamelot (though sad that it meant Conception was done).

Haha cool, we're both a couple of metal hipsters Cool I was definitely too young for that switch.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 pm

I just got the double CD Mediabook version
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Kamelot/Haven/493502
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet