The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warpriest - Gloombreaker (album #3!!!)

+7
seth
Christian Thrash Rules
Frozen Fire
Ammocas
deathisgain
Staybrite
Kerrick
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Warpriest - Gloombreaker (album #3!!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Warpriest - Gloombreaker (album #3!!!)

Post by StevenCressler Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:58 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I'm not saying it's bad, but how do you guys love doooooom* so much? The only doom that ever clicked with me was All For The King - Darkest Before Dawn. At least you guys aren't talking about drone metal.....
Because it's heavy and ominous. The atmosphere is the best part. And slower riffs let you really appreciate the tone. But that being said, we need Kerrick to REALLY explain the appeal of doooooooom...

*fify
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

deathisgain and Kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down

Warpriest - Gloombreaker (album #3!!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Warpriest - Gloombreaker (album #3!!!)

Post by Kerrick Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:09 pm

^Well said!  I was gonna say it's because us old guys just like things slower and more boring.  We don't hurt ourselves when we headbang at 2 HBPM (HeadBangs Per Minute).   Razz

Haha but seriously, SC hit the nail on the head.  There is a certain heavy majestic quality to doom, as well as its unique groove and feel.  It also yields itself better to introspection, deep thought, imagination, and the like.  Thrash is good to pump you up and makes for intense live shows, but I'm able to connect emotionally to doom much easier.

Tyrant
Tyrant

deathisgain and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:17 pm

I understand and agree with that. I just can't listen to an hour long album that's all 40 bpm the whole time. I prefer Black Sabbath's style of doom, not suuuuper slow the whole time, more fun etc.. There are thrash albums that have slower, more emotional breaks in the album (ballads are a good example). Master Of Puppets has The Thing That Should Not Be, which is heavier and a little slower. Also, as much as I love it, I do listen to more than just thrash (bum, bum, bummmmm!!!!). There are a few genres a lot of people on here love, that I only like a couple things. Doom, black etc.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:28 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I understand and agree with that. I just can't listen to an hour long album that's all 40 bpm the whole time. I prefer Black Sabbath's style of doom, not suuuuper slow the whole time, more fun etc.. There are thrash albums that have slower, more emotional breaks in the album (ballads are a good example). Master Of Puppets has The Thing That Should Not Be, which is heavier and a little slower. Also, as much as I love it, I do listen to more than just thrash (bum, bum, bummmmm!!!!). There are a few genres a lot of people on here love, that I only like a couple things. Doom, black etc.
Have you heard Nomad Son? They fit more into that category, doom that isn’t always super slow, and are my favorite band in the genre. Some really good songs from them are The Vigil, Winds of Golgotha, The Eternal Return, The Devil’s Banquet. 
And how you feel about doom is how I feel about death metal. I like a very few bands that could be considered death metal (like Wintersun), but for the most part I just don’t get it
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:41 pm

(sidebar)

Trouble!
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

deathisgain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:02 pm

I understand not liking death metal. I would say that I don't really like most death bands (CC, Nile etc.), they sound the same. But, there are some that really stick out and do a phenomenal job (Mortification and Death are my two favs). I will check out Nomad Sun for sure!
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:50 pm

crucifyd wrote:(sidebar)

Trouble!
This.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:50 pm

I'm guessing Trouble is a doom band?
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:59 pm

Kerrick wrote:^Well said!  I was gonna say it's because us old guys just like things slower and more boring.  We don't hurt ourselves when we headbang at 2 HBPM (HeadBangs Per Minute).   Razz

Haha but seriously, SC hit the nail on the head.  There is a certain heavy majestic quality to dooooom, as well as its unique groove and feel.  It also yields itself better to introspection, deep thought, imagination, and the like.  Thrash is good to pump you up and makes for intense live shows, but I'm able to connect emotionally to doom much easier.
Sometimes with thrash its less headbanging and just vibration bc it's so fast lol
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:29 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I'm guessing Trouble is a doom band?

Trouble is THE doom band...

all others follow in their shadow
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

deathisgain and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:15 pm

crucifyd wrote:
Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I'm guessing Trouble is a doom band?

Trouble is THE doom band...

all others follow in their shadow
But... I thought Black Sabbath was THE doom band. Without them we wouldn't have metal.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:56 pm

Black Sabbath was never pure doom but definitely brought that slowed down heavy feel. Trouble isn't even pure doom but are flat amazing.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:38 am

Definitely digging this! Giving it a couple more solid, concentrated listens and the riffs and song-structures are coming to the fore. Some of these songs, like Dogs of Doom, the title track, King Death, and Scorched Earth are killers and I'm still enjoying the rest. The longer process for me digging in is partially because I tend to have to get used to both of the vocalists. I absolutely love how they compliment one another but the different cadence for Rob's more spoken vocal passages and Elis' beautiful but more unique melodies across their material always take a couple of listens. My Dying Bride was always that way for me. I absolutely loved what they did musically but it took a bit upon the first few listens to adjust to Aaron Stainthorpe's vocals in somewhat similar ways. As I continued with MDB's material it became a non-issue. I'm sure it will be that way here as hopefully years of new material await us from Warpriest.

Last edited by Frozen Fire on Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:29 pm

My favorite Warpriest yet! I currently have it on repeat.
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://faustianslip.bandcamp.com

deathisgain and Kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:56 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I understand and agree with that. I just can't listen to an hour long album that's all 40 bpm the whole time. I prefer Black Sabbath's style of doom, not suuuuper slow the whole time, more fun etc.. There are thrash albums that have slower, more emotional breaks in the album (ballads are a good example). Master Of Puppets has The Thing That Should Not Be, which is heavier and a little slower. Also, as much as I love it, I do listen to more than just thrash (bum, bum, bummmmm!!!!). There are a few genres a lot of people on here love, that I only like a couple things. Doom, black etc.
Believe it or not, I broke a sweat with "The Scorched Earth". Razz Wink
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Kerrick and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:27 pm

That's not what I was expecting. It's really good. I was expecting reeeeeeeeeeallllllly slow, drawn out, and boring, like most other doom. Not mid-tempo, heavy, and awesome!
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:58 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:That's not what I was expecting. It's really good. I was expecting reeeeeeeeeeallllllly slow, drawn out, and boring, like most other doom. Not mid-tempo, heavy, and awesome!
That's Warpriest for you!
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:12 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:That's not what I was expecting. It's really good. I was expecting reeeeeeeeeeallllllly slow, drawn out, and boring, like most other doom. Not mid-tempo, heavy, and awesome!
On every album I try to put one fast song. With this last album, I have a few songs that have some time changes and go into some faster parts.

With some of the traditional doom bands, there are some faster tracks. Newer bands seem to focus more on the slow and low.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:16 pm

I'll have to check out the whole album then. As long as there's no Sunn O))) inspired drone tracks  Wink
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:36 pm

I just looked at a Spotify playlist posted by the band titled "Third Album Inspiration" and it wasn't what I was expecting. I really like that Knights Of Cydonia is on there, I love Muse.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:27 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I just looked at a Spotify playlist posted by the band titled "Third Album Inspiration" and it wasn't what I was expecting. I really like that Knights Of Cydonia is on there, I love Muse.

I should've updated that. I had a song where I was going to go that direction. But I ended up scrapping like four of the songs.
deathisgain
deathisgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2