The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using flags in worship

+12
alldatndensum
Raegoul
TZ75
Kerrick
MagnusPrime
Pro-Zak
Pethead
KaramKaram
seth
StevenCressler
Dustofyears
Samson
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Using flags in worship  - Page 2 Empty Re: Using flags in worship

Post by Samson Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:26 pm

TZ75 wrote:It seems pagan like… 

If you ever been to a renaissance faire, they have stuff that is similar.

So?

If God can be praised with death metal, then He can be praised with flags.
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster, scottmitchell74 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:29 pm

TZ called it. Straight shooter. There it is. See, plain words. Gimmick says one. Pagan says another.

It kind of screams "Look at me everyone" and also looks like something a woman should do... not a manly duty at all...all this waving flags and dancing about business, I mean just watch the video. It kind of reminds me of another group that does similar things with bright colorful flags.

But in the end of the day, he's not hurting anyone and having a bit of fun while exercising.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 pm

Dustofyears wrote:TZ called it. There it is. See, plain words. Gimmick says one. Pagan says another.

It kind of screams "Look at me everyone" and also looks like something a woman should do... not a manly duty at all...all this waving flags and dancing about business, I mean just watch the video. It kind of reminds me of another group that does similar things with bright colorful flags.

Ain't doing it to be seen. But I'm not hiding my light under a table either.

And yes, men can flag too. 

And also, I don't care what the alphabet cult does.

Last edited by Samson on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't proofread enough)
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:33 pm

Samson wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:TZ called it. There it is. See, plain words. Gimmick says one. Pagan says another.

Ain't doing it to be seen. But I'm not hiding my light under a lamp either.

And yes, men can flag too. 

And also, I don't care what the alphabet cult does.

You go you!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:42 pm

Samson wrote:

So?

You can do as you please. 

I never in all my years on the earth have heard of this with Christian worship. 

None of the non-denominational churches I have attended have done it (to my memory).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:47 pm

Dustofyears wrote:TZ called it. Straight shooter. There it is. See, plain words. Gimmick says one. Pagan says another.

But in the end of the day, he's not hurting anyone and having a bit of fun while exercising.

It likes a pageant. 

I agree it’s very feminine.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:53 pm

The Chinese have stuff like this. 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:02 pm

Makes you wonder if using “jazz hands” while dancing is a form of worship.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:07 pm

TZ75 wrote:Watching his video, it has a strong “new age” feel to it. 

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether it has a pagan or new-age feel to it.  A lot of true/good Christian traditions could easily be lumped into those categories by outsiders.  What I think it comes down to is whether man should a) worship God as man sees fit, or b) how God has instructed us.  (There are theological terms for these concepts that are escaping me... maybe Pethead can explain better.)  Or in other words, regarding worship, a) if the Bible doesn't explicitly forbid it, are we free to do it... or b) if the Bible doesn't explicitly prescribe it, should we refrain?  When it comes to worship, I think Scripturally there's generally a stronger argument for the "b" side of things (Cain and Abel's offerings, the guys "catching" the Ark when it slipped, etc.) though then you have stuff like David dancing so I dunno.  Personally, I'll err on the better safe than sorry side of things.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:07 pm

Peacock worship.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:10 pm

Kerrick wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether it has a pagan or new-age feel to it.  A lot of true/good Christian traditions could easily be lumped into those categories by outsiders.  What I think it comes down to is whether man should a) worship God as man sees fit, or b) how God has instructed us.  (There are theological terms for these concepts that are escaping me... maybe Pethead can explain better.)  Or in other words, regarding worship, a) if the Bible doesn't explicitly forbid it, are we free to do it... or b) if the Bible doesn't explicitly prescribe it, should we refrain?  When it comes to worship, I think Scripturally there's generally a stronger argument for the "b" side of things (Cain and Abel's offerings, the guys "catching" the Ark when it slipped, etc.) though then you have stuff like David dancing so I dunno.  Personally, I'll err on the better safe than sorry side of things.  Smile
The a) approach is called the Normative Principle of Worship. The b) approach is called the Regulative Principle of Worship. 

You can donate to the Pethead Fund to thank me for this information.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick, TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:12 pm

Kerrick wrote:

It just seems too peacock to me… 

It makes others watch a dancer’s choreography instead of closing your eyes and praying to God with a clear mind. 

To each their own, I guess.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:17 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

It makes others watch a dancer’s choreography instead of closing your eyes and praying to God with a clear mind. 

I suppose I should also add that our church has an area in the back of the sanctuary for flagging. We're not front and center with the worship team.
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro-Zak Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:26 pm

I attended a Charismatic church back in the 90's that did a lot of that, both in the back and throughout the sanctuary. They were also heavily involved with the "Toronto Blessing" and the like. I just couldn't get on board with it.
Pro-Zak
Pro-Zak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:28 pm

TZ75 wrote:
seth wrote:I have never heard of that practice. What are the flags for, what do they represent?

Do you think it’s cult-ish?
It certainly seems rather strange to me, but I don’t see anything inherently wrong with it. Just a fun activity I guess. Only issue would be if it became too distracting from actually worshipping God (as a lot of the chaotic charismatic practices seem like they could be to me)
I personally get distracted quite easily. If there was a guy in my church waving flags around during music, I would probably have a hard time focusing on anything else

Last edited by seth on Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Although like I said before, if you’re gonna wave something around, better a flag than a rattlesnake 😂

Last edited by seth on Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:39 pm

My church has a section for riverdance worship. 

Of course there's the occasional scuffle between the riverdancers and those in the disco section, but they get along most of the time.

Unless you count the circle pit worship section, who are known to stir up trouble occasionally by upstaging the other two groups.

They are currently suspended from all dance worship duties because of one such recent infraction. 

We usually frown on showboating. Not good dancemanship at all.

Evil or Very Mad
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Samson wrote:

So?

You can do as you please. 

I never in all my years on the earth have heard of this with Christian worship. 

None of the non-denominational churches I have attended have done it (to my memory).

yeah it's a thing. Samson just reminded me we use to do that too in a church I went to. fascinating really. They would wave and dance with flags around the church during worship, but not all the time. I don't know how it worked.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:55 pm

TZ75 wrote:Peacock worship.

Totally.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:56 pm

Pethead wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

The a) approach is called the Normative Principle of Worship. The b) approach is called the Regulative Principle of Worship. 

Is that actually true...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 pm

Samson wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

I suppose I should also add that our church has an area in the back of the sanctuary for flagging. We're not front and center with the worship team.

Sorry for all the posts i should've quoted

The church I used to go to they would flag all the place. However, it wasn't a done thing every time. That was sometmes ago though so maybe things have "tightened" up.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:00 pm

The regulative principle is a Calvinist thing iirc. Imo it’s borderline legalism, or trying to carry over the strict ceremonial principles regarding worship from the OT
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:02 pm

Rolf 1
MagnusPrime wrote:My church has a section for riverdance worship. 

Of course there's the occasional scuffle between the riverdancers and those in the disco section, but they get along most of the time.

Unless you count the circle pit worship section, who are known to stir up trouble occasionally by upstaging the other two groups.

They are currently suspended from all dance worship duties because of one such recent infraction. 

We usually frown on showboating. Not good dancemanship at all.

Evil or Very Mad
Rolf 1 yep yep
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:02 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Is that actually true...
Are those the actual terms, you mean? Yes, they are.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:09 pm

Mosh pit worship sounds like fun.

Like at the old Crucified and Mortification concerts.  Razz

Close your eyes. Release your mind!