The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your all-time favorite guitarist?

+16
oldschooldoom
Follower of Jesus
EricLovesVinyl
pjacks01
Guitar Noir
TZ75
Ammocas
tarkellyt
Seth Dusith
Superjuice
MagnusPrime
Xid
Constantine
Black Rider
seth
Pethead
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your all-time favorite guitarist?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Your all-time favorite guitarist?

Post by Pethead Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Good call on Brad Paisley. Dude can shred.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Your all-time favorite guitarist?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Your all-time favorite guitarist?

Post by EricLovesVinyl Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:45 pm

My favorite album of the last 10 years is TRYTAN - BLOOD OF KINGS.
Besides many of those ax-wielders already mentioned, I will add:

Lary Dean
Eric Gillette
Norman Barratt
Ken Tamplin
Oz Fox
Bob Hartman (recently saw him live and he blew me away)
Kerry Livgren

ROCK on!
-Eric

EricLovesVinyl
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:10 pm

Boy, I haven't seen ol' Norm mentioned in awhile.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by EricLovesVinyl Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Black Rider wrote:Boy, I haven't seen ol' Norm mentioned in awhile.
I just picked up a bunch of his LPs, so is fresh on the brain...

EricLovesVinyl
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:40 am

Is this “most talented” or “favorite”? George Lynch is amazing and I love his work. But my favorite guitarist is probably Michael Sweet. He’s a solid rhythm player, but his solos are far and away my favorites on Stryper albums. His solos are very melodic and fit the song very well. However, they are also quite technical at times. He’s clearly influenced by EVH without sounding like a clone. I love Sweet’s guitar work. I’ve always thought that if I was putting together an album, I would ask him to do the solos.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EricLovesVinyl Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:51 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:Is this “most talented” or “favorite”? George Lynch is amazing and I love his work. But my favorite guitarist is probably Michael Sweet. He’s a solid rhythm player, but his solos are far and away my favorites on Stryper albums. His solos are very melodic and fit the song very well. However, they are also quite technical at times. He’s clearly influenced by EVH without sounding like a clone. I love Sweet’s guitar work. I’ve always thought that if I was putting together an album, I would ask him to do the solos.

Saw Stryper in concert earlier this year and above the great drumming and vocals it was the guitar work that jumped out at me. Mike and Oz know their craft!

EricLovesVinyl
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:36 am

Hendrix...DUH
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas, Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 am

oldschooldoom wrote:Hendrix...DUH

What's your favorite Hendrix album?

Mine's probably Axis.

They're all great though.

I wish Band Of Gypsys had been a studio album. Had some good stuff on it.

Would've given him 4 studio releases. (Not counting all the posthumous albums of course.)
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm

It's been a tie for a long time between Peter Frampton and Phil Keaggy.  This past year my new-fav is Doyle Dykes.  I watch his Sunday String Along every week.  I'm not ready to try a thumbpick but he really is a blessing to me.
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Ammocas and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:28 am

Right off the top, there are four for me.

Angus Young - Yes, I know he isn't the most prolific shredder that ever was.  But, he knows his strengths and plays to that.  Every solo fits every song that AC/DC does.  He's experimented with tapping and other speed tricks but always comes back to his bluesy licks that work so well for their style.

Eddie Van Halen - He was very experimental and most shredders use techniques that Eddie made popular.

Scott Van Zen - He's most remembered for the guitar work he did with Ken Tamplin for us.  He mixed shredding and blues very well with his style.  He has also gotten to help write songs for KISS and others.  He has had his music in over 1000 films.

Rex Carroll - While he technically hasn't done anything that any other guitarist in metal hasn't done, he did show the world that all Christian music wasn't lame.  He can do what other metal players can do.  He just did it for Jesus and helped change the view that all rock and metal was not of the devil.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Superjuice, oldschooldoom, Xid, Pethead, Ammocas and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:08 am

Hendrix
Slash
Ty Tabor
Brian May
Malmsteen
Vinnie Moore
Garymoore
Toni Iommi
Billie Corgan
Kurt Cobain
George Lynch
And the list goes on and on and on...

But there is one that constantly blows my mind, that being the alien known as Joe Satriani. That guy is from another planet.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom and Xid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

But there is one that constantly blows my mind, that being the alien known as Joe Satriani. That guy is from another planet.
That's why he is the only one chosen by Sammy Hager and Michael Anthony to attempt to play the more difficult VH songs next year on the Eddie tribute memorial tour
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:43 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

That's why he is the only one chosen by Sammy Hager and Michael Anthony to attempt to play the more difficult VH songs next year on the Eddie tribute memorial tour
There'll forever be only one Van Halen, and he, along with Jimi, are arguably the two greatest innovators that ever lived. Then Joe comes along from planet Z and took all that and turned it all into pure wizardry and spawned a new generation of guitar virtuosity. I respect and also love Van Halen, but reality is Joe destroys him. That said no one can replace Van Halen in the band Van Halen!!!

Sammy's no slug on the guitar himself too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:34 am

André Olbrich for me. Not just because we have the same first name, but because of the melody he brings into the songs and the emotion it evokes. It's almost as if there's an extra singer in the band at times, some parts of guitar solos are sung along during live shows.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:13 am

That's cool, only time I saw that was with Megadeth.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:20 pm

Black Rider wrote:That's cool, only time I saw that was with Megadeth.

HA!

Joke's on you. Andre Olbrich never played in Megadeth.

So there.

Or something.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Vinnie Moore
Yeah, Mind's Eye is a classic instrumental album.  "Lifeforce" is one of the all-time great neo-classical pieces out there.

He went into a jazz-fusion thing after awhile. I still like him, but it doesn't resonate as well as his neo-classical phase.  I guess when you're that good, you get bored playing the same style and start moving into other things.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:32 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:
Black Rider wrote:That's cool, only time I saw that was with Megadeth.

HA!

Joke's on you. Andre Olbrich never played in Megadeth.

So there.

Or something.
Derp 😆
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:19 pm

Superjuice wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Vinnie Moore
Yeah, Mind's Eye is a classic instrumental album.  "Lifeforce" is one of the all-time great neo-classical pieces out there.

He went into a jazz-fusion thing after awhile. I still like him, but it doesn't resonate as well as his neo-classical phase.  I guess when you're that good, you get bored playing the same style and start moving into other things.
Yeah I had Time Odyssey back in the day. I also had a copy of his guitar tutorial which you can now get on youtube. Learned a lot from that about modes etc when starting guitar.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2