The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Rock Recommendations

4 posters

Go down

Modern Rock Recommendations Empty Modern Rock Recommendations

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:34 pm

I recently got into Flyleaf's first two albums (found both of them at a pretty great price) and I gotta say, I am completely hooked. I also really like Thousand Foot Krutch (Phenomenon through The End is Where We Begin, inclusive) and some of Red's stuff. Skillet has a few good tracks on each album but I found most of their stuff kinda boring.

Anyone have any good recommendations for modern rock (especially from the 2000s) with a bit of a grungey sound to it like Flyleaf?
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Recommendations Empty Re: Modern Rock Recommendations

Post by Black Rider Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:55 am

Check out any of the Disciple albums for the last 20 years. Also Fireflight, Nine Lashes, Seventh Day Slumber and Plumb. I won't attest to if they're that good or not, it's not my usual style but my kids listened to these when they were still at home.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Wildcat, alldatndensum, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:18 pm

I’d definitely second the Disciple recommendation. They started out playing groove metal, but everything after their 2005 s/t album has been more modern rock. Very consistent band with no bad albums during that time in my opinion. As far as some of my other favorites: 

Kutless: They eventually went more of a CCM direction, but their first 4 albums (s/t, Sea Of Faces, Hearts Of The Innocent, and To Know That You’re Alive) are definitely worth a listen for their rock sound.

Day Of Fire: All of their albums are worthwhile, but to me, they peaked on their 3rd and unfortunately final album, Losing All. That one might especially scratch your grunge itch as they were leaning pretty hard on their influences from bands like STP and Soundgarden by that point.

Decyfer Down: I actually wouldn’t start with Crash even though that seems to be their most popular on streaming platforms. To me that album was actually a sophomore slump that probably got complicated by changing singers during the recording process. The new singer is the more talented of the two, so I definitely recommend the two albums (Scarecrow and The Other Side of Darkness) where he got to write his own material. The debut (End Of Grey) might remain my favorite though just because it contains some monstrous riffs on most of the songs. 

The Protest: A newer band than the others I listed, but still very much in the same mold. Their latest album (Legacy) is a good starting point. It’s the most polished without sacrificing heaviness, and it was also their first with any kind of label distribution, so probably easier to find if you want to buy a physical copy. Their prior independent albums (Game Changer and Great Lengths) would also be worth a listen if you could find them though. On a personal note, I’ve actually had the chance to hang out with guys before a show at a small venue, and they seemed down to earth and passionate about their message.
Wildcat
Wildcat
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Thank you both for the recommendations! I'm going through some Disciple stuff right now and I really enjoy a lot of what I've heard.

I actually saw Disciple perform live as one of the three opening acts for Red at a concert I went to about five years ago. It was super cool. There was another band there called Spoken. I bought what was their newest album at that time (Breathe Again) from the band's merch table and really enjoyed that too, but haven't looked farther back into their discography yet.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:45 pm

Also check out Lacey Sturm's solo stuff, Zahna, and The Letter Black!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down