The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is?

+9
Ammocas
BaleMaster
oldschooldoom
crucifyd
Fundy
CrimsonWarrior
Constantine
eatbugs
Lex Metalis
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is? Empty How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is?

Post by Lex Metalis Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am

My brazilian favorite band: Trino, and was when I was reading the bookleth from the album 'Sepultura' released by the band Skymetal. A lot of bands was mentioned on the "Thank You" list and I searched for them after this. 

My favorite international band: Extol. and it's the same from above, but I only listened and falled in love some years in the future haha
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is? Empty Re: How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is?

Post by eatbugs Sun May 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Tourniquet.  I've told this story before, but I once bought a compilation cassette called Extremely Loud Guitar.  It had a bunch of bands I'd never heard of (Guardian, Bride, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Believer, etc. Embarassed ).  The Tourniquet song on that comp is "Ark of Suffering."  I've been hooked on all of those bands ever since.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads, BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is? Empty Re: How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is?

Post by Lex Metalis Sun May 31, 2020 2:17 pm

eatbugs wrote:Tourniquet.  I've told this story before, but I once bought a compilation cassette called Extremely Loud Guitar.  It had a bunch of bands I'd never heard of (Guardian, Bride, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Believer, etc. Embarassed ).  The Tourniquet song on that comp is "Ark of Suffering."  I've been hooked on all of those bands ever since.

Great! Very cool story...
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun May 31, 2020 2:27 pm

LexMetalis:  Are you familiar with a band called Methal Kyrios?  
They are from Argentina and used to be called Kyrios.  
I am trying to figure out if they are a Christian band.  
All lyrics are in their native tongue so I cannot tell.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Constantine wrote:LexMetalis:  Are you familiar with a band called Methal Kyrios?  
They are from Argentina and used to be called Kyrios.  
I am trying to figure out if they are a Christian band.  
All lyrics are in their native tongue so I cannot tell.
I know a little of spanish, if you have some lyrics to show me, I can help you..
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun May 31, 2020 7:33 pm

LexMetalis wrote:
eatbugs wrote:Tourniquet.  I've told this story before, but I once bought a compilation cassette called Extremely Loud Guitar.  It had a bunch of bands I'd never heard of (Guardian, Bride, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Believer, etc. Embarassed ).  The Tourniquet song on that comp is "Ark of Suffering."  I've been hooked on all of those bands ever since.

Great! Very cool story...

Thanks!  If you've ever seen that comp you know it's a Who's Who of the golden era of Christian metal.

The way my music tastes were going I would probably have discovered all of them anyway.  It certainly kickstarted my discovery though.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonWarrior Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 pm

My favorite band all-around is called 少女病 (Shoujo Byou). I found them by searching for Christian metal bands from Japan on Metal Archives, though ironically they are neither Christian nor metal (they have a few metal-ish songs, but I really am surprised that they are on MA, and they were erroneously labeled as Christian for a while, probably because their logo contains a cross). They made a lot of good symphonic rock with voice acting. I used to be into anime so this especially appealed to me back then, but I still really like it to this day.

My favorite Christian metal band is still Crimson Moonlight, and I discovered them (and the existence of Christian black metal/unblack metal in general) on the website mapofmetal.com. That was back when I was learning a lot about new music genres and first getting into metal. The sound of black metal was so new and interesting to me back then.
CrimsonWarrior
CrimsonWarrior
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:15 am

I bought that compilation on cassette.  It was had a great selection of songs on it.  I played it constantly!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Boy, I couldn't even name a favorite band at the moment...
Funny how it changes from time to time.

For a long time, I would say it was bloodgood...A while back, I would probably say Deliverance...

Most of these classic bands I discovered through internet searches and taking risks of buying cheap cds from the brazilian distributor.

I discovered Bloodgood, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Idle Cure, Angelica, Die Happy, Mortification, Ken Tamplin, Shout and others that way.
Also discovered a few bands I don't care for, such as Scarted Few, Poor old Lu and Mortal.

I was kind of discovering what my favorite style of music was, so that time was really important in my life.

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Thiago-Brazil wrote:Also discovered a few bands I don't care for, such as Scarted Few

Shocked
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Do people really have just one favorite band?  

That puzzles me.  The last time I had one favorite was in high school, it was Led Zeppelin. 

Nowadays I couldn't even begin to think of just one favorite. 
Maybe my attention span is just not what it used to be...Smile
I like variety.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Constantine wrote:Do people really have just one favorite band?  

That puzzles me.  The last time I had one favorite was in high school, it was Led Zeppelin. 

Nowadays I couldn't even begin to think of just one favorite. 
Maybe my attention span is just not what it used to be...Smile
I like variety.

Yes and no.  It's complicated, but when asked my standby is still Tourniquet.  My tastes range from Phil Keaggy to Mental Destruction and I haven't been a singl-band fanboy since college (Tourniquet) so I understand what you mean.  I hate those "you can pick one band's catalog to be trapped on a desert island with" questions.  I would actually pick the comp I mentioned in this thread over any single studio album by any single band.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:17 pm

eatbugs wrote:
....I would actually pick the comp I mentioned in this thread over any single studio album by any single band.
Thanks for the self-aware explanation.  I definitely no longer have one favorite band, but I know enough people that do.
One frustration with that, is if I try to introduce them to another band I think they would like, they are usually not interested, because they are just stuck on the one band.  I cannot relate to that since I am a highly curious sort and like to try new things.

I remember when that "Extremely Loud Guitar" compilation CD came out.  I saw it in the main Christian Bookstore that we used to have in the Times Square area.  I did not buy it then but always remembered it as having a really strong song selection, whereas many of the other Christian metal comps were not quite as well thought-out.  Looking back though, probably the one bum track would be Novella's "Story," which was from their disappointing 2nd album instead of the great 1st album.  Otherwise, those 80's and early 90's comps were great for finding new bands.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Constantine wrote:
eatbugs wrote:
....I would actually pick the comp I mentioned in this thread over any single studio album by any single band.
Thanks for the self-aware explanation.  I definitely no longer have one favorite band, but I know enough people that do.
One frustration with that, is if I try to introduce them to another band I think they would like, they are usually not interested, because they are just stuck on the one band.  I cannot relate to that since I am a highly curious sort and like to try new things.

I remember when that "Extremely Loud Guitar" compilation CD came out.  I saw it in the main Christian Bookstore that we used to have in the Times Square area.  I did not buy it then but always remembered it as having a really strong song selection, whereas many of the other Christian metal comps were not quite as well thought-out.  Looking back though, probably the one bum track would be Novella's "Story," which was from their disappointing 2nd album instead of the great 1st album.  Otherwise, those 80's and early 90's comps were great for finding new bands.

I don't get being stuck on one band.  It's ok to have a favorite, but I don't understand having an only.

I saw it in a mail order catalog and liked the title.  I agree that Novella was the weakest track (although I do like Novella).  Looking back, it's one of the few comps not record label specific.  I think that was it's real strength, putting out the best songs instead of "their" songs (although being Star Song, it was Bride and Whitecross heavy).

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am

I was living in a dorm in 1985. I got a new roommate who introduced me to REZ band.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Depends on the day.  Sometimes it's Stryper; other times, the 77s.  Larry Norman, The Choir, and Deliverance all factor in also.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm

My neighbor owned a Christian Book store and I was a 12 year old kid looking for something that Rocked. So, he put the newly released Resurrection Band’s “Colours” in my hand and the rest is history.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am

Christian wise  Its  The Violet Burning (thanks to a friend of mine whose band opened for them years ago)

And

Deliverance - I had bought Weapons when it came out and loved it. Like 2 weeks later I got to see them live with my cousin and that was all she wrote.  I would say that fanboyness evolved when Learn came out it was such a profound album for me

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 am

Love the Violets too.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am

Theyre on my bucket list to see live,  Michael Pritzl is such a great song writer , I got hooked shortly before "Drop Dead" came out  If you have a chance check out his solo work called the Gravity Show  and the song Halo its such a beautiful song

My buddy who introduced me to them has a band called Sombrance  who had opened for them eons ago  www.sombrance.com  good stuff too  Jimmy Brown's been on some of Sombrance tracks

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:23 am

My parents gave me 2 cassettes the Christmas of 1984, Christ Christian Let the Music Start and Farrell & Farrell Choices. These were ok but I wanted something that rocked. Through a neighbor, a school friend and a manage rat a local Christian Book and Bible store I discovered in 1985/86 5 great bands: Whiteheart, Petra, Daniel Band, Jerusalem Rez Band and Stryper. Having limited funds back then I would borrow tapes and at time tape them off until I had the funds to buy the album. I still love these bands to this day. In 1986/87 I discovered the second wave of bands: Barren Cross, Bloodgood, Messiah Prophet and Saint. I still love these bands to this day.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:00 am

Warzawa wrote:Theyre on my bucket list to see live,  Michael Pritzl is such a great song writer , I got hooked shortly before "Drop Dead" came out  If you have a chance check out his solo work called the Gravity Show  and the song Halo its such a beautiful song

My buddy who introduced me to them has a band called Sombrance  who had opened for them eons ago  www.sombrance.com  good stuff too  Jimmy Brown's been on some of Sombrance tracks
I picked up the Sombrance catalog a while back.  Good stuff.  Cool
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetway777 Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 am

I discovered my favorite band at a christian music festival back in 1988 called the His II festival .  Dale Thompson had a box of tapes for sale at the festival , so I bought all the Matrix tapes !  That's how I found out about what would become my favorite band MATRIX/BRIDE ! Very Happy
How you discovered your favorite band...and what band is? 12183821_1515735215416744_2701714354545513671_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=BCE2cGslfdsAX9mmlwD&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1
Jetway777
Jetway777
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 am

Cannibal Corpse.
When I discovered them I was about 13 or 14 in 92 or 93 when tomb of the mutilated came out.
I was just a heavy metaler and thrasher since 88/89 for a few years, had never heard any death metal or even heard OF death metal.
One day I saw an add in one if my fave metal magazines at the time(metal edge or metal maniacs, don't recall which) for Cannibals 3rd album tomb of the mutilated...censored album cover version, I thought it looked pretty cool and being a fanatic of horror movies and zombie movies decided I'd go find it at the local music store(remember those?lol!) on Cassette(remember those, lol!). When I got there I saw its side on the shelf and grabbed it...looked at it but it looked nothing like the cover(censored version) I saw in the mag as it was the uncensored version which I didn't know existed, and at first I couldn't even make the album cover out as I had no context or comprehension of that kind of sexual gore imagery yet in my young mind, lol! It just looked like a painting of overlapping colors. I took it to the counter to purchase it smiling(the girl behind the counter looked perplexed and disturbed by this, but I didn't care).
I got on the bus with it...rode half way, got a connecting bus from the downtown to go to my house. Shortly after I got on that 2nd bus I turned it over and looked at the song titles and immediately saw the title *entrails ripped from a virgins c#*t* and then the others and got a disturbed feeling in the pit of my stomach(this is a story told by a lot of Cannibal fans whose first Cannibal album was tomb at a young age too, lol!) Then suddenly the album cover was decrypted and comprehended by my eyes...I felt guilty for buying it, but took it home anyhow,. I put it in my tape player and thus brutal sound entered my ears i didn't grasp at first then the burpy vocals....which at first I was like *what the hell is this? Why is the guy burping his words* lol! At first I didn't like this or understand it or feel comfortable with it.
I was expecting just R rated horror themed thrash. Not this xxxx rated pornographic super graphic goreathon. I expected the burping to last only a song or two not the entire album.
It took a few days to a week of listening to it and acquiring a taste, but after several days I became hooked and fell in love with thus band and then started buying more death metal.
27 years later and death metal is still my favorite subgenre and Cannibal Corpse my favorite band of all time and tomb one of my top 3 fave cannibal albums.

Last edited by Contrarian Deist on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 am

And as for my favorite Christian metal band. That's either Mortification or Crimson Thorn. But I heard Mortification first and they were the first Christian metal band id ever heard or bought. So I'll relay that story.
In around 94 or 95 i had been a *secular* metalhead for 6 or 7 years and into DM for a year or two.
A friend who was into the same stuff I was into, one day brought a Nuclear Blast records music video compilation over to my house to watch with me. And half way in a video for Morts *terminate damnation* with an intro by Steve. We were both blown away that Christians would play such good and brutal dm.
A year or two later I became a born again evangelical, I got rid of my entire *secular* metal collection burned at a youth group bonfire. Then I went and bought Scrolls of the megalithic as my first Christian metal album and became a huge Mort fan , many other Christian metal bands from Christian thrash and death and unblock followed for near a decade.

Actually just remembered, mort was not the 1st Christian band I heard. Some years earlier I acquired *mystical thieves* by Lightforce ...but don't remember how or from where or who or when exactly, but I remember having it years before I discovered any other Christian metal music and being a big fan of the song *Babylon*.

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next