The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Brave asking for help funding new album

+10
arttieTHE1manparty
Temple of Blood
mothy
Follower of Jesus
eatbugs
Staybrite
Black Rider
Samson
Tombie
alldatndensum
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Brave asking for help funding new album Empty The Brave asking for help funding new album

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 am

https://www.gofundme.com/the-brave-new-cd-album-budget 

Another band running a pledge program without any enticements or rewards.

I supported their Kickstarter for Rise...which I regretted (due to reasons previously posted here..) and sold off as soon as it arrived.

So now they have ANOTHER singer for this album coming up...4 different for 4 albums.

This time it is guitarist Stayce Roberts taking over.

While I won't support it, I am still letting you guys know in case you want to

To Clarify...
You get a digital copy...
I don't consider that an enticement or reward. Enticements and rewards are used to promote levels of donations and give back something special to the person who pledges. Signed merchandise, exclusive tracks not available to non donors, special experiences, etc etc. 

Giving back nothing more than a digital copy of it, no matter how much one gives, is lazy.

Last edited by Bought4Life on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Brave asking for help funding new album Empty Re: The Brave asking for help funding new album

Post by alldatndensum Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:22 am

I am not going to just give a band cash with no guarantees of any merch.  I like The Brave, but I refuse to just blindly hand someone money to record an album.  I don't like the whole crowd-funding scene anyway, but just to give them cash seems reckless on my part and makes them seem entitled.

If they put in tiers where you get a certain level of rewards, then I would help out even if I don't like to do this.  If not, they can do like many indie artists do:  get your own recording setup and do it yourself.  Bands need to understand that your fans don't owe you anything.  After so many people not liking Rise, then they are probably not going to be so quick to help you this time, either.  If you aren't going to give the fans what they want in terms of music, then you cannot expect them to be willing to embrace your return and give you money time and time again.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

The Brave asking for help funding new album Empty Re: The Brave asking for help funding new album

Post by Tombie Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 am

Just to clarify, it does say that you will get a copy of the album...
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 am

Tombie wrote:Just to clarify, it does say that you will get a copy of the album...

Yes, a digital copy...

I don't consider that an enticement or reward. Enticements and rewards are used to promote levels of donations and give back something special to the person who pledges. Signed merchandise, exclusive tracks not available to non donors, special experiences, etc etc. 

I will edit the post to clarify

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am

Although I don't support crowdfunding, I have to take my hat off to Disciple. IMO, they're one of the few that actually do it right.
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am

Bought4Life wrote:
Tombie wrote:Just to clarify, it does say that you will get a copy of the album...

Yes, a digital copy...

I will edit the post to clarify
I can see what you mean. I agree that it is nice to get some goodies but I have to get digital now, too many CDs and not enough room lol...
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am

Samson wrote:Although I don't support crowdfunding, I have to take my hat off to Disciple. IMO, they're one of the few that actually do it right.

I actually really like doing crowdfunding when done right, and done through something like Kickstarter where they don't get the money unless a goal is reached. GoFundMe takes your money no matter what.

Some of the best Kickstarter campaigns I have been in...

Both Steve Taylor campaigns,
Bloodgood Dangerously Close,
MST3k.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am

Tombie wrote:too many CDs and not enough room lol...

Hahahahaha...nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:14 pm

I'll be interested to hear and i'm glad the last singer is gone but they get no cash until I hear it.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Black Rider wrote:I'll be interested to hear and i'm glad the last singer is gone but they get no cash until I hear it.

This.

I'm in the process of being swindled by Pledge Music right now on at least two campaigns, so I am completely done with any crowd-funding platforms.  I would only pre-order through a reputable company like Roxx, Retroactive or Amazon.  Some company that will actually return your money if they fail to produce the product.
I would also never kick in campaign funds for a digital album.  I'm not opposed to MP3/FLAC albums, but I wouldn't waste my time essentially "pre-ordering" one.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Good Kickstarter campaigns:

Disciple
John Elefante
John Schlitt
Bloodgood
Steve Taylor
Altar Boys

All of these were great experiences where you got plenty of updates and product was delivered pretty close to when they predicted.

Bad campaigns:

Guardian (took two years and the final album was nowhere what fans wanted)
Rose (Took several months longer to get album with few updates and the final album wasn't what fans wanted--I was happy with the album, so I guess this is more of an on the fence campaign for me.)
The Letter Black (Took months to get product even though we were promised we'd get rewards weeks before the album hit the stores.  The stores had the CDs for a month or two before fans complained and the label finally shipped out promised CDs)

The best campaign I have had was a Bride preorder.  They did this for a few albums.  You give $20 and you got the CD.  They financed the recording this way.  You knew what it would cost and that was that.  While you were still not guaranteed anything, they came through time and time again.  The band even said they'd do the album even if fans didn't give them what they needed.  They made their goal every time and gave us more great Bride releases.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:01 am

On crowdfunding:
Disciple and Demon Hunter have used it really as pre-orders for completed albums.  There was no "I hope the album actually comes and is any good" about them.  I've never had a true crowd-funding advanced commitment arrive on time.  I do them because often I have to: it's the way the music business is going, especially with old-school bands trying to make a comeback.  The Bloodgood one annoyed me because I wasn't able to crowdfund it at the time and those who did got an extra song other fans didn't by ordering the CD.

On The Brave:
I had no issue with the female vocalist.  I just wish they had been more up-front about it when they did that campaign.  I did have a little issue with the raw production of Rise and that it was mostly remakes.  This time, a GoFundMe isn't even a crowdfund.  I'd be more likely to put up a true pledge to get a physical CD in a Kickstarter campaign.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 am

Staybrite wrote:

I'm in the process of being swindled by Pledge Music right now on at least two campaigns, so I am completely done with any crowd-funding platforms. 

What is going on with Pledge Music?

I have gone through them before, so I am curious to see what the issue is...

And yeah, a little nosey... pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 am

Bought4Life wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I'm in the process of being swindled by Pledge Music right now on at least two campaigns, so I am completely done with any crowd-funding platforms. 

They are having some serious financial problems and are not paying many of the artists the funds that they have taken in.  The band "Last In Line" (Vinny and Vivan from the first three Dio albums), have gone so far to cancel their campaign with Pledge Music due to not receiving the funds.  Apparently Pledge Music is supposed to be issuing refunds but I haven't been contact by them about it.  Last In Line sent detailed instructions encouraging everyone to "cancel" their contribution to the pledge and contact our financial institutions to "contest the charges".  So a big hassle, especially if you pledged for a perk that might not even be for sale anywhere.  I have another campaign that was essentially a pre-order that was due Jan 25th. I've received no product for that one and no word as to why it's late or if I can even expect it.  Too much hassle for me to have to bother with for a single cd, so I won't be doing these anymore at all.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

They are having some serious financial problems and are not paying many of the artists the funds that they have taken in.  The band "Last In Line" (Vinny and Vivan from the first three Dio albums), have gone so far to cancel their campaign with Pledge Music due to not receiving the funds.  Apparently Pledge Music is supposed to be issuing refunds but I haven't been contact by them about it.  Last In Line sent detailed instructions encouraging everyone to "cancel" their contribution to the pledge and contact our financial institutions to "contest the charges".  So a big hassle, especially if you pledged for a perk that might not even be for sale anywhere.  I have another campaign that was essentially a pre-order that was due Jan 25th. I've received no product for that one and no word as to why it's late or if I can even expect it.  Too much hassle for me to have to bother with for a single cd, so I won't be doing these anymore at all.

Did not know that....thank you for the information. I hope you get it worked out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:30 am

I didn’t like Rise at all. There’s no way I would contribute to a crowdfunding for a new record without hearing it, incentives or not.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Bought4Life wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Thats sad to hear, I supported P86 through them and I think everything went as planned but who knows. I got updates and my stuff in great time
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:52 pm

You give $20 and you got the CD.  They financed the recording this way.  You knew what it would cost and that was that.  While you were still not guaranteed anything, they came through time and time again.  The band even said they'd do the album even if fans didn't give them what they needed.  They made their goal every time and gave us more great Bride releases.

But you paid 20 dollars for a CD.  Few are willing to do that unless it is super rare or a special edition.

To me, that is what this crowdfunding stuff is all about ... trying to convince people to pay more for the music than they normally would.  
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Temple of Blood

To me, that is what this crowdfunding stuff is all about ... trying to convince people to pay more for the music than they normally would.  

Yeah, that pretty much what it usually boils down to with a lot of bands.

However, the GOOD crowdfunding campaigns give you perks that you will never be able to get from anywhere else.

Example...

MST3K....I pledged $85 to get:
the entire new season on digital format, a ton of bonus episodes from the classic MST3K in digital format, the new season on a special KS blu ray with bonus features that won't be on the regular blu ray available for sale to everyone else, and my name in the end credits of one of the episodes. PLUS I got to see one of my favorite shows return. To me, that was worth it, even though some may say I "overpaid". I don't think I did.

Steve Taylor & the perfect foil...for $12 I got:
a cd, the download of it, and for $37 more I got a backstage pass / ticket laminated with the band signatures (though mine was smeared a little..ll) ..good for any show of theirs...but regretfully both times I was sick and couldn't attend the show when they came near me so I never got to use it.

Steve Taylor & the danielson foil...for $50 I got:
"• Brief personalized recorded greeting from Steve Taylor—digitally delivered on The Night Before Christmas! 
• "Wow to the Deadness" EP—Advance Digital Download delivered on New Year's Day 2016! 
• "Wow to the Deadness" on CD to be delivered mid-January in its very own mailing package! 
• "Wow to the Deadness" Deluxe Coffin Box Set (includes hand-painted decorative casket; custom flash drive—designed by Daniel Smith— with EP, two music videos & liner notes; autographed band member portraits; and Wow non-edible mini neon bouncing balls) to be delivered in mid-January 2016! 
• "Wow to the Live-ness" Live Album Digital Download to be delivered March 2016!"

Even Bloodgood's KS I consider a good deal, and that was just a signed cd..for $50 I got:
"an autographed copy of the album by all the members of the band (Michael, Les, Paul, Oz, & Kevin) when it becomes available, as well as the advance digital download."

Unique items and signed memorabilia is one of the things that draws me to these things...and if the band does a lot of updates and interacts with the fans, it can be very fun. The MST3K, Steve Taylor, and Bloodgood campaigns were all a lot of fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm

The fundraiser isn't going so well.

As of today...

$155 of $10,000 goal

Raised by 5 people in 23 days

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm

That's 'cause they blew it on the last album and now people don't trust them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 am

Black Rider wrote:That's 'cause they blew it on the last album and now people don't trust them.

Precisely.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 am

Black Rider wrote:That's 'cause they blew it on the last album and now people don't trust them.

Let me fix that for you.

That's 'cause they blew it on the last album and now people don't
The Brave asking for help funding new album MI0001697837.jpg?partner=allrovi them.   lol!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

There has been zero movement on this since I last posted back on March 4

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Which means that this either won't happen at all, or they will have to back up and decide what they really need to happen in order to record.  With no rewards, you are just giving away money with no guarantees of anything.

Bah-humbug!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next