The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Projects

+7
metaldude
New Creation
MikeInFla
ImagoDei
Blake
Driven
Kerrick
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Home Projects - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Projects

Post by deathisgain Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 15:03

Kerrick wrote:Sadly, our TV cabinet fell over during our move to Idaho and the TV broke.  At some point we'll probably get a new TV and make a rev 2 cabinet...

In the meantime, I have a small collection of a few patches and pins that I'm not currently doing anything with.  I was thinking it'd look cool to get some black fabric and hang it on the wall with the patches and pins pinned to it.  I was considering just cutting up an old t-shirt but my wife thinks that cotton would be too stretchy and just deform/curl on the edges, etc.  She's probably right.  Any recommendations?  I'd probably get some sort of wooden dowel(s) for the top edge and maybe bottom edge too.

You can buy similar fabric at a fabric store. Where you live, that should only be, what? Four hour drive? Razz I made a patch for jackets where I was able to get black cotton denim from Joanne's. It is not as heavy as denim, but is sturdy.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 15:15

Cool, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.  There's actually a Joanne's less than 10 minutes away.  Smile  (Just because we live in northern Idaho, it doesn't mean we're hermit hillbillies!)  Maybe I can convince Veronika to go on a fabric procurement mission...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 20:04

Canvas is a great material for what you are talking about.  Just make sure it is a tighter weave type canvas (not loose like burlap).
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 8:01

Thanks!  With these types of materials, what do you do about the cut edges to prevent them from fraying?  I know some can be melted along the edges which seems like the surest way...  Or maybe that wouldn't be an issue?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:44

Kerrick wrote:Thanks!  With these types of materials, what do you do about the cut edges to prevent them from fraying?  I know some can be melted along the edges which seems like the surest way...  Or maybe that wouldn't be an issue?

I would stitch them up so they don't fray.  If you don't have a sewing machine pound on your neighbors door and ask them, heck everyone in that state makes their own clothes so someone has to have one. 
geek
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 15:34

Dang, the Idaho jokes just keep on coming!   Razz

Thanks, we actually got a sewing machine for our wedding though haven't used it yet!  This will be a good opportunity to finally get to change that.

I also forgot about a couple deer antlers I had found hiking.  I think I'll use those too for this project.  I'll post a picture once it's done.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 16:55

Kerrick wrote:Thanks!  With these types of materials, what do you do about the cut edges to prevent them from fraying?  I know some can be melted along the edges which seems like the surest way...  Or maybe that wouldn't be an issue?

I was thinking that this would be framed. If so, you could pull the fabric around the back and staple it.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 22:37

Just remember you might need stronger needles for the sewing machine for canvas.  The ones for denim would be strong enough.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 10:54

Oh I didn't think about that; thanks!

Well, I think I may shelve this project for the time-being.  Veronika bought me some perfect fabric and the deer antlers look pretty cool... but a) I don't have enough patches/pins to make it look decent yet and b) it doesn't quite fit the decor...  Here's what It looks like so far (with stuff just laid out somewhat randomly).  I also included a handkerchief I made in high school based off of a drawing I did in MS Paint haha.  It sorta fits so why not.

Home Projects - Page 2 20180810

I think I'll wait until I get more patches and pins and whatnot before this gets made.  I'll also wait until I have a proper workshop and/or bigger garage where this might be more fitting.  In the meantime though, we had an extra picture frame which I populated with some of my favorite music-related stickers!  That's now hanging up in my office.

Home Projects - Page 2 20180811

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 17:03

Cool!
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 2:07

Nothing right now, but I do plan to buy a bigger shelf for my CD-collection when I have enough money Very Happy .
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2019 - 9:51

I like the picture frame version (I'm not into hunting, so the antler one didn't do anything for me)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue 12 Feb 2019 - 10:44

Thanks!  For the record, I found those antlers while hiking.  Smile

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2019 - 15:28

Kerrick wrote:Thanks!  For the record, I found those antlers while hiking.  Smile

So "No animals were harmed in the making of this display" ..lol

Sweet  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue 12 Feb 2019 - 15:43

For now...  Now that I'm in Idaho, I gotta do as the locals do and hunt our food!  So maybe I'll upgrade those antlers at some point...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2019 - 15:47

Kerrick wrote:For now...  Now that I'm in Idaho, I gotta do as the locals do and hunt our food!  So maybe I'll upgrade those antlers at some point...

Run, Bambi, Run!!!

rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed 13 Feb 2019 - 10:48

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Well, hunting season isn't until fall so Bambi's still got some time...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2019 - 11:09

Kerrick wrote:Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Well, hunting season isn't until fall so Bambi's still got some time...

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu 14 Feb 2019 - 4:52

I recently had some projects. Painting ceilings and replacing some sheetrock. I hate that kind of work. Due to hurricane Michael. Luckily all the inside work is done but still waiting on a roofer. I have signed with someone but it's taking forever as they try to get more $ from the insurance company.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue 19 Feb 2019 - 9:59

I'm glad you've been able to get things fixed, though that must be so frustrating waiting for the roof...  Neutral

I met a guy in Harbor Freight who sells military surplus ammo cans for a very good price so I bought a few (6x 7.62 and 2x .50 cal).  They're in pretty good condition though a couple had a little bit of surface rust and worn edges so I got some spray-on clear-coat and applied it to all eight.  It took a while since I did two coats on the insides, waited for them to dry, and two coats on the outsides.  This should help preserve them and make 'em last for a long time.  Now I just gotta figure out what to put in 'em!  Very Happy

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed 20 Nov 2019 - 10:51

Yesterday evening my dad and I finished building shelves in my home office which turned out mighty fine I must say!  But I'm no interior decorator and now I'm uncertain how to fill them...  I'd appreciate y'all's input!

(Pardon the mess... it's still a bit of a construction zone in there.)  I threw all of my music CDs (and movies and videogames) onto the "left" shelves just to get an idea of what I'm working with.  Originally, I was going to have shelves where the two framed posters are, but my wife and I both like how the posters look there instead.  Should I keep my music all on the left or spread it out around the window too?  We don't even own a TV anymore so the movies and videogames (stuff on the very top row) will only gather dust there; should I move those to our basement and only have music on the left shelves?  I have a couple pretty neat vintage firearms that my wife was thinking would look pretty sweet up top above the window.  My wife also had the idea of buying a bunch of empty jewel cases and printing some favorite metal album covers, then cutting them into vertical slices the width of the jewel cases' splines (which Iron Maiden actually already did with their re-releases some years ago - see below picture I found online of it).  Any other clever ideas?  Thanks!

Home Projects - Page 2 20191111

Home Projects - Page 2 20191110

Home Projects - Page 2 20191112

Home Projects - Page 2 Eddie

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Thu 21 Nov 2019 - 0:08

^ Looks great, Kerrick.
Markus1987
Markus1987