The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliverance - What a Joke

+25
TZ75
Pethead
Kerrick
StevenCressler
mr.electric40
jimmypbrownii
pathogenics_cloned_twin83
ludey7
Follower of Jesus
strangerhoncho
cailen
stevegarveyfan
crucifyd
lhversaw
MikeInFla
Pershing1134
eatbugs
bodachi
FreeRangeBeliever
Black Rider
deathisgain
d@v!d
Hardcore Christian
metaldude
New Creation
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Deliverance - What a Joke - Page 2 Empty Re: Deliverance - What a Joke

Post by pathogenics_cloned_twin83 Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 am

It's got alot of good songs on it...but alot of silly stuff and bored song writing. I had heard the rumors that it was made intentionally to be a joke, glad to have that confirmed. Makes it more fun to listen to now actually.
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.facebook.com/#!/derrick.williams.5667

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:44 am

I liked it quite a bit at first and found the short tracks amusing. I normally don't skip them, I just let the CD play. My first exposure to this was the McD cover so every time I listen to it I get the urge to go to a drive thru.

Nice review here:

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/d/deliverance11.html
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmypbrownii Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:40 pm

LOL...

Still, after all these years talking about WAJ... 

Well, everyone here has it right... Take away the dorky songs, you have a brutal EP... 

Thanks for the nod to the riffing Cailin... That was some of my toughest rhythm playing to date!!! I was trying to out do myself so no one could play those riffs... There had been a lot of infighting with George because he wanted to play rhythms on the Weapons album on some of the songs. And, I was extremely unhappy with the rhythms not matching up on the 2-3 songs George played the right side of Weapons... So, I thought to myself "I will write rhythms that he or anyone else can't play"... LOL... I was in my early 20's, whatya gonna do??? LOL...

JPBII

jimmypbrownii
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 pm

jimmypbrownii wrote:LOL...

Still, after all these years talking about WAJ... 

Well, everyone here has it right... Take away the dorky songs, you have a brutal EP... 

Thanks for the nod to the riffing Cailin... That was some of my toughest rhythm playing to date!!! I was trying to out do myself so no one could play those riffs... There had been a lot of infighting with George because he wanted to play rhythms on the Weapons album on some of the songs. And, I was extremely unhappy with the rhythms not matching up on the 2-3 songs George played the right side of Weapons... So, I thought to myself "I will write rhythms that he or anyone else can't play"... LOL... I was in my early 20's, whatya gonna do??? LOL...

JPBII

As the OP of this thread, I want to say welcome to the forums Jimmy!!!

I stand by the OP, I do think it's a terrible album (though I used to love it a lot when I was a teen), but man have you all put out some killer stuff before and since! My favorite of the latter years has been As Above - So Below.

Last edited by New Creation on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmypbrownii Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks New Creation for the welcome and being the OP of this thread...

WAJ if condensed would be a killer EP, had it been produced properly and a little more time put into it... 

There was a lot of infighting at the time, and it just went down the wrong path in my opinion... It could've been a lot better, and a proper follow up to Weapons...

Oh well, unless someone has a time machine DeLorean, can't fix that one... LOL...

JPBII

jimmypbrownii
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:21 pm

oh no, don't "fix" it... I like it just the way it is (ahem...except silent night, sorry)...

the lack of production / raw nature of Human Sacrifice is part of what makes it my favorite record ever...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:57 pm

jimmypbrownii wrote:Thanks New Creation for the welcome and being the OP of this thread...

WAJ if condensed would be a killer EP, had it been produced properly and a little more time put into it... 

There was a lot of infighting at the time, and it just went down the wrong path in my opinion... It could've been a lot better, and a proper follow up to Weapons...

Oh well, unless someone has a time machine DeLorean, can't fix that one... LOL...

JPBII
Having not been around when it came out, I have to admit I think its the perfect follow up to Weapons, and I personally love every bit of it Cool
crucifyd wrote:oh no, don't "fix" it... I like it just the way it is (ahem...except silent night, sorry)...

the lack of production / raw nature of Human Sacrifice is part of what makes it my favorite record ever...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Exactly, the production lacking, partly makes the album what it is. Sure I would enjoy hearing some beefier modern production on my favorite tracks but both albums wouldnt be the same without the way they ended up sounding
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.electric40 Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:20 am

Not one of Deliverance's finest moments but not terrible either... This isnt Torn Flesh...  There is some great stuff here...

JIG
ATTACK
Prophet

plus several others... heck not everyone can hit a home run everytime...
mr.electric40
mr.electric40
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:24 am

I love this album, it's a regular spin for me.
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:46 pm

crucifyd wrote:huh... I hate that version of Silent Night   skip button every time...

am I the only one?
Bruh... I love it
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:56 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
crucifyd wrote:huh... I hate that version of Silent Night   skip button every time...

am I the only one?
Bruh... I love it

I have that song on a Christmas compilation.  I think that's the only Deliverance song I've ever heard... and I'm with crucifyd on this one; it is especially not my cup of tea!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:58 pm

There are good moments on this album but it's definitely one of their weakest overall. Even the good songs here aren't on the same level as a lot of their other stuff.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:59 pm

I love What A Joke! 

Awesome thrash/speed metal album. I just don’t care for the short joke songs. I suppose they were trying to mimic SOD.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:02 pm

Pethead wrote:There are good moments on this album but it's definitely one of their weakest overall. Even the good songs here aren't on the same level as a lot of their other stuff.

It’s a fun album. I assume they were mimicking SOD. 

At least it has some of the most brutal thrash recorded. The guitars were as crunchy as it gets and Kevin Lee’s drumming was on fire.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Both Jimmy and Kevin's speed on this thing was insane.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood, TZ75 and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:17 pm

I play Silent Night at Christmas together with OBP - Christmas Time kingshmeg
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:36 pm

I love it. Like I've spouted before I normally don't like the clean high vocal thing in thrash one hears often but Jimmy is the exception. Only thing I hate bout it are the lyrics, but I simply ignore those and just listen to the music. I dig all of the big D's albums the only ones I haven;t listened to are the two or three later ones.

Like Destruction comes it's an album you love or hate, there is no Grey area (most times).
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:50 pm

Dustofyears wrote:I love it. Like I've spouted before I normally don't like the clean high vocal thing in thrash one hears often but Jimmy is the exception. Only thing I hate bout it are the lyrics, but I simply ignore those and just listen to the music. I dig all of the big D's albums the only ones I haven;t listened to are the two or three later ones.

Like Destruction comes it's an album you love or hate, there is no Grey area (most times).
Why do you hate the lyrics?
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:51 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:Chipped Beef is a favorite riff
Agree
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:41 pm

StevenCressler wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:I love it. Like I've spouted before I normally don't like the clean high vocal thing in thrash one hears often but Jimmy is the exception. Only thing I hate bout it are the lyrics, but I simply ignore those and just listen to the music. I dig all of the big D's albums the only ones I haven;t listened to are the two or three later ones.

Take that back I mean some of the lyrics it's not too bad for the most part. There's a video somewhere where Jimmy himself even recognizes (Paraphrasing here) that some of the lyrics from the older albums were in some ways full of naivety and the fire of youth (not exact words but along those lines) especially stuff from the first album etc

I can tell as he has grown he realizes things just aren't so black and white, like how they are in early D albums. But that could probably be said for the great many Christian metal albums written by young "fired up" Christians. Ian from seventh Angel was the same on Torment, believer and just about any christian metal band I suppose, but some of those artists grow and realize life just isn't like that at all.

Great Music though, and I think chip beef is a hilarious way to give a record label the finger. It has that cool heavy dampened thrash rhythm or what I like to call "The for whom the bell tolls dampened thrash part" that is a signature in thrash.

I here by deem What Joke as a cool and legit thrash record!!!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:04 am

Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Take that back I mean some of the lyrics it's not too bad for the most part. There's a video somewhere where Jimmy himself even recognizes (Paraphrasing here) that some of the lyrics from the older albums were in some ways full of naivety and the fire of youth (not exact words but along those lines) especially stuff from the first album etc

I can tell as he has grown he realizes things just aren't so black and white, like how they are in early D albums. But that could probably be said for the great many Christian metal albums written by young "fired up" Christians. Ian from seventh Angel was the same on Torment, believer and just about any christian metal band I suppose, but some of those artists grow and realize life just isn't like that at all.

Great Music though, and I think chip beef is a hilarious way to give a record label the finger. It has that cool heavy dampened thrash rhythm or what I like to call "The for whom the bell tolls dampened thrash part" that is a signature in thrash.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Even though, for the most part, Jimmy is a great lyricist, some of the older lyrics are definitely a little... cheesy, I guess? Or extreme? Idk. I do know that some of my lyrics will probably be looked at like that by me a couple of years from now
I would love if they ever make another album and use the Chipped Beef riff on it!
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:18 am

It always makes me sad to see bands that move away from the "on fire for God" lyrics. Makes me think of Jesus's parable of the sower, specifically the seeds that fall in the area with thornbushes. Sprout up quickly, but are choked out by the thorns (akin to someone being disillusioned by the world and losing their faith). It isn't the artist "growing" and "seeing the world for what it is", in fact it is the opposite. It is their budding knowledge of the truth being squashed by a world full of lies. Unfortunately I think Jimmy Brown may be falling into that trap, based on some stuff I've heard him say in recent interviews. Really makes me appreciate all the more the artists/bands who don't abandon their message over long careers, like Tourniquet
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

CrimsonWarrior, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:18 am

StevenCressler wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Even though, for the most part, Jimmy is a great lyricist, some of the older lyrics are definitely a little... cheesy, I guess? Or extreme? Idk. I do know that some of my lyrics will probably be looked at like that by me a couple of years from now
I would love if they ever make another album and use the Chipped Beef riff on it!
Yeah that'd be cool. Still like CHipped beef though always put a smile on my face, it really is middle finger in the best hilarious way.

Good luck with your music and stuff too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:35 am

Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
StevenCressler wrote:

Yeah that'd be cool. Still like CHipped beef though always put a smile on my face, it really is middle finger in the best hilarious way.

Good luck with your music and stuff too.
Thanks! Go to the Free Gift thread in Promotion Palace if you want more info on it\

I do agree though that Chipped Beed is good on it's own and a great way to get their way with the label. I should try the recipe someday lol
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:28 am

Pethead wrote:Both Jimmy and Kevin's speed on this thing was insane.

Jimmy has said it was Kevin that forced him to go over the top. Kevin had a tendency to play fast and Jimmy had to keep up.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next