The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

+9
Lex Metalis
bodachi
crucifyd
Temple of Blood
Frozen Fire
eatbugs
TZ75
Black Rider
BaleMaster
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased Empty How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Rthis one's just rerererererereleased:
https://boonesoverstock.com/collections/pre-orders/products/j

But IMO, it should be released as a double disc. In one, the original, and then a second disc with the serious song

1. “Prophet Of Idiocy”
2. “Pseudo Intellectual”
3. “What A Joke”
4. “It’s The Beat”
5. “A Product Of Society”
6. “J.I.G.”
7. Intrumental (Purgatory Sandwich With Mustard - without the lyrics and under a different name)
8. “Attack”
9. Rescue me (bonus track, deleted song from this album)

Back to top Go down

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased Empty Re: How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 pm

I don't know if it should imply in some licensing rights, as my idea should be to cut some songs off.
Maybe there's a musician here who could answer this.

Back to top Go down

How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased Empty Re: How Deliverance's What a Joke should be rereleased

Post by BaleMaster Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:05 pm

It already has been.  I want to say by Roxx Records.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:31 am

Boone's Overstock.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:45 am

Burn a copy without the filler songs and you're good to go.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:53 pm

BaleMaster wrote:It already has been.  I want to say by Roxx Records.
Right, but with the original tracklisting. my point is to take the jokes out and then you will have an awesome thrash metal album.

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20 am

I also think a revised version with only the serious full length songs should be released. Call it “No Joke”. I always thought it could’ve been an awesome EP! It’s the heaviest and fastest recording they ever did. The first two songs are brutal! Maybe slightly more intense than Sepultura’s Beneath the Remains. Jimmy’s rhythm playing was on fire. I love it!

I remember how pissed off he was when he saw the new album art with the cartoon happy meal.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:39 pm

TZ75 wrote:I also think a revised version with only the serious full length songs should be released. Call it “No Joke”. I always thought it could’ve been an awesome EP! It’s the heaviest and fastest recording they ever did. The first two songs are brutal! Maybe slightly more intense than Sepultura’s Beneath the Remains. Jimmy’s rhythm playing was on fire. I love it!

I remember how pissed off he was when he saw the new album art with the cartoon happy meal.
It should be called "not a joke", maybe with the word "what" scratched and corrected above as NOT.
And please, no happy meal in the cover. Maybe should keep the band's photograph.

The good point is that the art is reversible and you can use the original cover. I guess I have it here, if I am not mistaken.

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:20 pm

On the old Deliverance website Jimmy himself said that if you took out the jokes it would make an awesome EP.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 pm

I don't ever play the CD. I burned it years ago and just left the "serious" tracks. It's 43 minutes. Still a good album.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 pm

My version would be:

1. Prophet Of Idiocy
2. Pseudo Intellectual
3. What A Joke
4. Chipped Beef (no vocals)
5. It's The Beat
6. A Product Of Society
7. J.I.G.
8. Purgatory Sandwich... (no vocals)
9. Attack

Total time - 34:27

Not really that short when you consider 2018's "The Subversive Kind" which clocks in at 31:19

I would also like a new album cover. Something comparable to "Weapons" in quality. Maybe some good Ed Repka artwork (depicting a city in ruins, rotting from the decay of corruption. Then have a "prophet of doom" type character in the foreground dressed as an evil looking clown and wearing one of those "end is near" signs (but with "What A Joke" written on it instead).

Just my two cents! Metal 1

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:10 am

I know it's one of the joke songs, but I actually like "Silent Night."  I play it a lot this time of year.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:27 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:Rthis one's just rerererererereleased:
https://boonesoverstock.com/collections/pre-orders/products/j

But IMO, it should be released as a double disc. In one, the original, and then a second disc with the serious song

1. “Prophet Of Idiocy”
2. “Pseudo Intellectual”
3. “What A Joke”
4. “It’s The Beat”
5. “A Product Of Society”
6. “J.I.G.”
7. Intrumental (Purgatory Sandwich With Mustard - without the lyrics and under a different name)
8. “Attack”

I would keep your list except add the Sabbath cover and delete the Purgatory Sandwich and Rescue Me. Keep it quick and potent! A nice (in your face) thrash EP. 

I would also keep the Intro because it sets up the first song well.

This would’ve been a great song for Deliverance to cover:
It fits their early style perfectly.

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

thrash joke songs never age well
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:thrash joke songs never age well
Amen!

That and rap sections in popular 80s/90s rock and metal. No
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 pm

hmmm...
including the "joke" tracks, I loved this record from the first listen back in '91...
with the exception of the abominable "Silent Night"  *ugh*

eatbugs wrote:I know it's one of the joke songs, but I actually like "Silent Night."  I play it a lot this time of year.

more hmmm...I never thought "Silent Night" was a joke track...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm

IMO the Sabbath cover was a huge joke. 
It breaks the album enviroment, as it is not a thrash song...It is simply awful.

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 pm

I’m a huge Sabbath fan, so I disagree. It’s a very well done cover imo!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:02 pm

The joke songs ruin the environment, having a slower doomy song done well isn't a distraction.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:39 am

After Forever isn’t even that slow... it’s a mid-pace tempo. I also like the little nod to Symptom of the Universe they threw in after the solo! Too bad they didn’t fully record that song too.

Last edited by TZ75 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:46 am

As much as I love Deliverance, I prefer Stryper's cover. Robert was let off the leash for that one
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 am

The 
bodachi wrote:As much as I love Deliverance, I prefer Stryper's cover. Robert was let off the leash for that one

Both are great! But if Michael put his vocals over the Deliverance version, it would be even better! Can’t beat Jimmy’s guitar sound and rhythm playing. He’s in the same league as Hetfield, Scott Ian and Dimebag.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 am

TZ75 wrote:The 
bodachi wrote:As much as I love Deliverance, I prefer Stryper's cover. Robert was let off the leash for that one

Both are great! But if Michael put his vocals over the Deliverance version, it would be even better! Can’t beat Jimmy’s guitar sound and rhythm playing. He’s in the same league as Hetfield, Scott Ian and Dimebag.

Jon. Schaffer.

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:39 am

UltraMagnus wrote:
TZ75 wrote:The 

Jon. Schaffer.

I like Schaffer, he plays super tight. The only problem is his over use of galloping.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:24 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:

Rescue Me it's a deleted song from Weapons... recording sessions, not WAJ...
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next