The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

+36
Troublezone
Galations6.7
kethdredd
Sir Shred A Lot
stevegarveyfan
ludey7
eatbugs
jimmypbrownii
FreeRangeBeliever
alldatndensum
arttieTHE1manparty
MikeInFla
average joe
Follower of Jesus
grandeped
crucifyd
mr.electric40
bjorn agin
New Creation
deathisgain
exact33
ReckonedDead
bigtreads
Pershing1134
cailen
Lex Metalis
Temple of Blood
metaldude
jeffcorpse
bodachi
strangerhoncho
Hardcore Christian
lhversaw
My Awesome Timothy
Black Rider
Airola
40 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album - Page 8 Empty Re: Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

Post by MikeInFla Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 am

I'll be ordering this when it shows up wherever it may.I've heard the first tune and like it and I like the last album "Hear What I Say".

I am actually hoping for more music from Jupiter VI as "Moveable Walls" was one of my favorite CD's over the past few years. Still listening to that one
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album - Page 8 Empty Re: Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

Post by Guest Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:09 am

For those who are suspicious about this aIbum, I would recommend to wait for some reviews in some specialized website, such as angelic warlord.

I am pretty sure it will get great reviews.

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 am

I think the key to understanding this release is to look at what was stated in the promo:

"'The Subversive Kind' is a true return to form for these Christian thrash pioneers, boosting 8 brand new tracks that truly bring the thrash back. We are very excited to once again be partnering with 3 Frogz, Jimmy Brown and Deliverance to bring you this awesome new thrash release. The fans that have been requesting a 'Weapons part 2’ will be ecstatic with this new release and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that

this new album is the bands 'Reign in Blood.'

Stay tuned as we prepare to bring you 'The Subversive Kind' in early 2018."

This album is akin to Reign in Blood in many ways:

1. Top-notch fast and furious drumming.  I love the tone of the drums on this album, most modern thrash bands have horrible-sounding drums.
2. Forceful mid-range thrash vocals
3. Most songs are fast and the album overall is quite short.  Getting in, making a statement, and leaving
4. Very little emphasis on lead guitar solos
5. The production is very good

I think a lot of thrash fans will like this album and it is much better than most of the current thrash scene these days.

For me personally however, "Reign in Blood" is my least favorite of the first 6 Slayer albums.  I prefer thrash albums that are more riffy and melodic (think Artillery, early Annihilator, early Megadeth). 

It's a good album and I think they achieved their goals but it's not the style of thrash that I personally enjoy the most.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:56 pm

And it's short like Reign in Blood.  Very Happy Looking forward to getting this when it's released to the unwashed masses.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am

Wigeon wrote:Gary Lenaire somehow managed to release a new album that is stellar in my opinion (Fell Sirens to the Sea is an absolute masterpiece of a song) without resorting to crowd funding.
<end_rant/>

Many songs on that album were old songs that had been done nearly a decade ago. Fell Sirens to the Sea is one of them (it's a Talking Snakes song and its original title is Knowing the Tree of Good and Evil), however the No Time Now version has a different part near the opening of the song and the sounds have been remixed so I don't know if the song was actually completely re-recorded. But anyways, a lot of the songs were pretty much ready so not much time and money had to be put in for them.

I don't mean to bash the album for that because I love most of the songs, but it's not that much of a wonder that Gary was able to put it out without crowdfunding.

cailen wrote:You guys throw fuel into the fire of my expetations, I am really hooked now!

I was not able to back the album so I have to wait but I will definitly pick this one up!

I very often prefer the demo and better "What a joke" songs when I listen to the big D

because of their rawness, in your face music and aggression. 

Lets wait and see. Hoping for some JIG, Greetings of..., Prophet of ... Product of...

subversive activity

Laughing Guitar guy

Exactly what I'm thinking! Very Happy

I thought The Black Hand was very promising and it had this special sense of fury and hunger, although it wasn't something that would jump to be a new Deliverance favorite of mine. So my expectations got up quite a bit.

Now I'm reading a few negative responses, but what they are saying with their criticism actually makes me even more excited!
Songs like Prophet of Idiocy and A Product of Society are what I consider prime Deliverance thrash material. In fact I think What a Joke is the band's best thrash album (just cut a few songs out and it's absolute perfection).

Temple of Blood wrote:I think the key to understanding this release is to look at what was stated in the promo:

"'The Subversive Kind' is a true return to form for these Christian thrash pioneers, boosting 8 brand new tracks that truly bring the thrash back. We are very excited to once again be partnering with 3 Frogz, Jimmy Brown and Deliverance to bring you this awesome new thrash release. The fans that have been requesting a 'Weapons part 2’ will be ecstatic with this new release and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that

this new album is the bands 'Reign in Blood.'

Stay tuned as we prepare to bring you 'The Subversive Kind' in early 2018."

1. Top-notch fast and furious drumming.  I love the tone of the drums on this album, most modern thrash bands have horrible-sounding drums.
3. Most songs are fast and the album overall is quite short.  Getting in, making a statement, and leaving

I think a lot of thrash fans will like this album and it is much better than most of the current thrash scene these days.

For me personally however, "Reign in Blood" is my least favorite of the first 6 Slayer albums.  I prefer thrash albums that are more riffy and melodic (think Artillery, early Annihilator, early Megadeth). 

It's a good album and I think they achieved their goals but it's not the style of thrash that I personally enjoy the most.

Reign in Blood is my least favorite of Slayer's early albums too, but my reasons for that controversial opinion is that most of the songs just has too much unmemorable riffs. Most of the songs in between Angel of Death and Raining Blood are fillers. And even those two songs, that are in my opinion thrash classics, have some boring parts in them. South of Heaven, Divine Intervention and Seasons in the Abyss are much better albums.

So I'm not sure whether I should be excited that this Deliverance album is called as their Reign in Blood or not.
I guess it all comes down to how exciting the riffs, rhythms and tempo sounds for me.
If the full album is full of as good material as The Black Hand, I'd say it will be a very stellar listening experience for me. If some of the songs are better than that, I will probably love it.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:08 am

Nice breakdown Temple of Blood. I haven't purchased any of the post speed/thrash metal albums from the band that earned the right (early on) to simply be called "Big D" by their brilliant early work. I will be listening to the new one tomorrow in hopes that it truly does live up to the "Return to form," "Thrash is back," "Reign in Blood" billing. Really hoping to hear something fast, furious and intricate with those WAJ guitar tones (i.e., similar to "Pseudo Intellectual" musically).

Temple of Blood, I would also love to see Jimmy, Glenn and the fellas write the next thrash album with some of that early infectious combination of speed and melody. So, out of curiosity, I went back to listen to a couple up-tempo songs from their last one, "Hear What I Say." I was thinking that perhaps Jimmy could no longer sing that way. Question I was pleasantly surprised. Wow! Jimmy sounded absolutely fantastic on "Where Eagles Dare." Far better than the original. It smokes! He sounded fantastic. I also liked the melodic piano intro (Liber III) that led into the one other song that I enjoyed, "The Annals of Subterfuge." Jimmy really sounded good on that one as well (nice combination of melody and aggression). His singing voice (melodic hooks), mixed with the fast and furious playing, is what made D so special to begin with. In fact, I think the current lineup has all the pieces in place to go the "riffy/melodic" thrash route next time out. To this day, the hook laden S/T never gets old IMO, regardless of how much it is played. Would absolutely love to see Glenn back in the writing mix with Jimmy next time out. 

That said, hoping for some more of this when I listen to the new one tomorrow (i.e., "Too hard to play!") Wink  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soo_S5hRbXo

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I will buy this on CD when it comes out... When does it come out? I have "Hear What I Say" from iTunes. Looked at it today and it is also just over 30 min (and one song is a repeat in another language). I think the CD has spoiled us on album lengths. Many classics clock in 30-40 minutes. The new Styx release has 17 songs and is only 43 minutes.  When bands go back to doing something classic they do it like it's being done for vinyl and that's fine w me.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Probably because they are saying it's not as melodic as old Deliverance.  I seriously doubt the drummer had anything to do with that change though.

I liked Minier a lot, but never The Crucified.  What are The Crucified's best songs?  They didn't seem like a riff or melody band to me.

Not melodies, but hooks and riffs (relative to hardcore) they have plenty.  It's hard to say because I don't think they have a bad song on their two full-lengths.  Every one stands apart to my ears.  Mindbender from Pillars of Humanity is probably their most memorable song, but I also love It's All About Fear, The Wrong One, Fellowship of Thieves, Focus, and Blackstone/So-Called Living 1991.

From their s/t, much worse production of course, but Hellcorn, Rise, One Demon to Another, A Guy in the Suit and the Pope, and The Insult Circus stand out most to me.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I would agree with all of this about this album.  It's not BAD at all.  It's superbly played.  I like Metallica-style melody in thrash, but more than that I just value diversity in songwriting and truly distinctive riffs/hooks for my thrash.  What a Joke is my favorite thrash album by D because those songs all stood out and had varied riffs, choruses, hooks, etc.  I was never a huge Slayer fan because most of their songs sound pretty similar, although I like them a few songs at a time.  This is kinda the same.  I could see throwing a song or two among a playlist and digging them just fine, but as a whole album it's just too same-y and unimaginative for my tastes. 

THAT said, I've only given it one listen while I was doing some other stuff.  That's sort of my barometer for music; if nothing catches my attention while I'm preoccupied, then it's not an album for me.  I don't need more background noise in my life, I need memorable songs.  I will definitely give it another listen or two and see if the songs stand out more.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Again does anyone know when an actual CD will be for sale?
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:01 am

Probably in february or march through Roxx Records.

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 am

MikeInFla wrote:Again does anyone know when an actual CD will be for sale?

I believe the release date is Feb 23.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamis Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm

For those who are suspicious about this aIbum, I would recommend to wait for some reviews in some specialized website, such as angelic warlord.

For better or for worse, here is the Angelic Warlord review: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/d/deliverance18.html
Dynamis
Dynamis
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 am

Dynamis wrote:

For better or for worse, here is the Angelic Warlord review: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/d/deliverance18.html

Nice piece,  Andrew.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 am

Dynamis wrote:

Good review!  My critique got a mention!  Ha.  I've given it a few more listens and I'm still just kinda bored by it overall.  There are some cool moments to be sure, but I've got a list of 500 other metal albums from the last two years that I still haven't had time to get to so I won't be listening to it over and over hoping it will finally sink in.  Who has the time for that?!  I have to say in all the years I've listened to music I've never once come back to an album I didn't like at first and found my opinion changed.  Never.  And I've tried plenty of times.  That's great that you can, but my ears either like or don't like what they hear right away and it doesn't change on repeat!

But it's not a terrible album and as I said I'd still support them in a heartbeat because of what they meant to me in the past and because I believe in what they're doing and hope they keep doing it!  Everyone should check it out, especially since it seems everyone else loves it!  Ignore me and just listen to it.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

I enjoyed it a little more cranked up in my truck sound system as opposed to listening via headphones in my office. The Fold is a really good song and is getting stuck in my head! The opening and main riff reminds me of the first Vengeance album.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

While we are discussing Jimmy's projects, I am looking forward to the new Eraserhead album he is planning that is supposed to be more like the middle era Deliverance sound.  That should be amazing.

Also, I wish we could get more Jupiter VI. I had someone send me some MP3s of an album of Jupiter VI's that was never released.  The sound wasn't quite finished, so these may have been demo copies of this album that did not happen.  I ran them through the ol' mastering software to see if I could make them sound bigger.  I have more tweaking to do, but they sound decent.  I wish we could get "A Message From Home Pt. 1" properly released even if it were just demo songs.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm already looking forward to the next Deliverance thrash album!

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:44 am

MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:50 pm

I have to admit that the album is growing on me as I listen more. And I am not just saying that because Jimmy called me out above (lol!). I had a feeling he would be reading/watching as I posted my review. Nevertheless, I'm a little disappointed in something else. I just realized that the front and back cover images and liner notes were included in the .zip file download I received as one of the crowdfunders. My gripe is that almost half of the image with the liner notes is overlapped by the image of the back cover. Can anyone hook a brother up with the full page image of the liner notes? Interested in seeing the lyrics, solo credits, etc.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 am

did anybody that did the crowdfunding already get the CD copy of this? i heard Scott say they backers had already gotten theirs on his latest video...

I haven't seen it yet, just curious.
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by strype53 Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm

I have received mine in the mail.  I have listened to it for the last couple of days.  I think it is pretty good.  I am just happy to have anything new from Deliverance.  I think the album sounds better with each listen.  My favorite is always the first 4 albums.
strype53
strype53
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:28 am

I received mine last week.

It is good - not Weapons II, but maybe What a Joke II (and better because there are no joke songs).  It's too soon to tell where it will rank in the Deliverance discography.  Top half for sure, ask me in a year or two.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 am

Mine came in the mail yesterday and i was able to listen to it today. I like it! I am not really a big fan of thrash (More of a Barren Cross, Saint, Whitecross kind of guy). One thing i noticed is the mastering -- very good. Not too loud like a lot of modern releases.

Sounds like Big D to me! I like it better than the last album. Track 6 is my favorite (forget the name at the moment and the CD is in my truck).

Mine came with an album sticker.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next