The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

+36
Troublezone
Galations6.7
kethdredd
Sir Shred A Lot
stevegarveyfan
ludey7
eatbugs
jimmypbrownii
FreeRangeBeliever
alldatndensum
arttieTHE1manparty
MikeInFla
average joe
Follower of Jesus
grandeped
crucifyd
mr.electric40
bjorn agin
New Creation
deathisgain
exact33
ReckonedDead
bigtreads
Pershing1134
cailen
Lex Metalis
Temple of Blood
metaldude
jeffcorpse
bodachi
strangerhoncho
Hardcore Christian
lhversaw
My Awesome Timothy
Black Rider
Airola
40 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album - Page 7 Empty Re: Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

Post by Galations6.7 Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Troublezone wrote:There is two Jimmy and Eric Clayton videos. I haven't seen either..   

Which one has the announcement? As far as Facebook... i don't use it, so I would never have known that way.

The first Eric Clayton video mentions it. I haven't seen the second Eric Clayton video
Galations6.7
Galations6.7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album - Page 7 Empty Re: Deliverance crowdfunding old-school thrash album

Post by Troublezone Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Galations6.7 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:There is two Jimmy and Eric Clayton videos. I haven't seen either..   

Which one has the announcement? As far as Facebook... i don't use it, so I would never have known that way.

The first Eric Clayton video mentions it. I haven't seen the second Eric Clayton vide

I'll check it out. Thanks
Troublezone
Troublezone
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Sun May 21, 2017 5:40 pm

What is the link to the Facebook live video with Chaffin?

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 am

Oh, I just saw the Eric Clayton video. It's true, he mentions Minier at the begining of the video.
Jimmy released three videos at once on his youtube channel, though he is not too active on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Can't find the Facebook live video with Chaffin.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Thu May 25, 2017 8:26 am

Important update for the backers.

metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 pm

I was surprised to see my t-shirt had arrived today. An unplanned Christmas gift... pretty cool!   Thumbs up
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 am

I got the download last night but haven't made time to listen yet!
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 am

New Creation wrote:I got the download last night but haven't made time to listen yet!

Same here. I had given up on seeing this album before next year. It's a pleasant surprise.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Listened to the whole album once. It's good. Might be my favorite since Stay of Execution. Need to listen a few more times. Sort of a downer that it's only 31 minutes of music - by far their shortest. It seems like they needed at least another song or two to make it a true "full-length" album.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:19 am

Where is it available?  This will be the first Deliverance album I have bought in a LONG time.  Who is on drums and lead guitar?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Where is it available?  This will be the first Deliverance album I have bought in a LONG time.  Who is on drums and lead guitar?
Jim Chaffin (The Crucified) on drums and Glen Rogers does most lead guitars with Greg Minier lending some leads as well.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:22 am

ToB, it will be available to the public around february, I guess.

Tombie, I would add a great work by Jim Chaffin, btw.

The only annoying thing is the vocal effects used on chorus of the title track and the Black Hand song. (I mean, it is an artificial effect, right?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 am

I got the new album via download this weekend. It is everything they said it would be - fast, thrashy, heavy, aggressive, a true "return to form". That being said, I find it boring and hard to get into. To me, it sounds like they took song candidates from "What a Joke" that didn't make the cut, and put them on a new album almost 30 years later with better musicians. Nothing really innovative, emotional, melodic or impressive. Looking back now, I personally prefer the direction Jimmy took with Learn and River Disturbance. All that being said, the production is really good, the guitars sound great, solos are cool, bass and drums are awesome sounding but overall it's just an average thrash album for me. And it is way too short, clocking in at just around 32 minutes with 8 short songs. This will most likely be my last crowd funding participation. Between this, and waiting for ever for the new Tourniquet since pitching in for it (with it's vocals still unknown), I'm done with it unless there's an effort to raise money for a new Gary Lenaire/Guy Ritter effort or Betrayal reunion. Gary Lenaire somehow managed to release a new album that is stellar in my opinion (Fell Sirens to the Sea is an absolute masterpiece of a song) without resorting to crowd funding.
<end_rant/>
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:55 am

Well, if you enjoy Learn and River Disturbance, this album is not for you. Look forward for Eraserhead, that will be your thing. Jimmy stated this several times.

That said, I don't see the similarities of this album with WaJ at all.
The only song that reminds me old Deliverance is the title track which has its inicial riff too similar to the song Entombed from Stay of Execution.
Besides that, the album sounds really original to my ears and I see this album with much more similarities than The Crucified than Deliverance itself.

I don't really know what people expect from a thrash album, if not an album like The subversive kind.

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Wigeon wrote:I got the new album via download this weekend. It is everything they said it would be - fast, thrashy, heavy, aggressive, a true "return to form". That being said, I find it boring and hard to get into. To me, it sounds like they took song candidates from "What a Joke" that didn't make the cut, and put them on a new album almost 30 years later with better musicians. Nothing really innovative, emotional, melodic or impressive. Looking back now, I personally prefer the direction Jimmy took with Learn and River Disturbance. All that being said, the production is really good, the guitars sound great, solos are cool, bass and drums are awesome sounding but overall it's just an average thrash album for me.
<end_rant/>

This.  I agree completely 100%.  I liked everything Deliverance did up through As Above, because they always wrote memorable songs whatever the style was.  Listened to this whole album and not a single moment stood out in my memory after it was done.  I had super low expectations (because seriously, it's extremely rare for latter-day albums by groundbreaking bands to be any good), so I'm not too bummed.  Surprised at the paint-by-numbers songwriting, but whatever.  I'm glad they did it and I would still support them again entirely based on what they meant to me growing up, but I'll probably only give it one more listen.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 am

I too was disappointed. I was hoping for thrash in the vein of the s/t and Weapons: thrash, but many melodic moments too. There's almost none of that here. It's pure speed/thrash. It reminds me of The Crucified. For many, that'll be a good thing, but I never really got into The Crucified for the same reason. I prefer the first three D albums to the later stuff, though I like that style too. But the melodic thrash of songs like No Time, Deliverance, The Call, Weapons of our Warfare, Flesh and Blood, What A Joke, etc. is easily my favorite D sound. I was hoping for more of that on this new album, but there is almost none of it. Reason #107 why I'm done doing crowdfunding. You support something without really knowing what you're going to get. Kudos to Jimmy for delivering an old-school thrash album that many D fans will love. But it's just not my thing.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 am

Follower of Jesus wrote:I too was disappointed. I was hoping for thrash in the vein of the s/t and Weapons: thrash, but many melodic moments too. There's almost none of that here. It's pure speed/thrash. It reminds me of The Crucified. For many, that'll be a good thing, but I never really got into The Crucified for the same reason. I prefer the first three D albums to the later stuff, though I like that style too. But the melodic thrash of songs like No Time, Deliverance, The Call, Weapons of our Warfare, Flesh and Blood, What A Joke, etc. is easily my favorite D sound. I was hoping for more of that on this new album, but there is almost none of it. Reason #107 why I'm done doing crowdfunding. You support something without really knowing what you're going to get. Kudos to Jimmy for delivering an old-school thrash album that many D fans will love. But it's just not my thing.
Though I loved that album, I also miss some melodic moments, as well.

That's why I would say that it still not in the level of Weapons, my favorite album.
Maybe it's coming on the same level of WaJ, which is a mix of spectacular brutal songs with some bad tracks (such as Silent Night, After Forever and the jokes, of course).

I also agree regarding this album being more similar to The Crucified than Deliverance itself. It has a huge influence of Jim Chaffin on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 am

Hmm, based on all the negative reactions here I think I will hold off on buying the new album.  I haven't enjoyed anything they've done since Weapons.

I'm also highly skeptical of bands who crank out albums quickly and have side projects.  It's better to develop songs and play them live with your band over a period of months before committing them to recording.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 pm

I love it! Hard and fast!
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm

You guys throw fuel into the fire of my expetations, I am really hooked now!

I was not able to back the album so I have to wait but I will definitly pick this one up!

I very often prefer the demo and better "What a joke" songs when I listen to the big D

because of their rawness, in your face music and aggression. 

Lets wait and see. Hoping for some JIG, Greetings of..., Prophet of ... Product of...

subversive activity

Laughing Guitar guy
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm surprised by people comparing it to the Crucified, since I hear none of that even with Chaffin's involvement.  I'm a huge Crucified fan and feel they've got some of the best, most memorable songs, hooks, and riffs ever written in hardcore/thrash.  The Subversive Kind...not so much.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Probably because they are saying it's not as melodic as old Deliverance.  I seriously doubt the drummer had anything to do with that change though.

I liked Minier a lot, but never The Crucified.  What are The Crucified's best songs?  They didn't seem like a riff or melody band to me.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmypbrownii Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 pm

LOL...

Thanks for the kind words from those of you who appreciated the record... It is what it is... Can't please all people...

For years, I was criticized for not doing a thrash record... I delivered what was expected... 

"Paint by Numbers Songwriting"... LMAO!!! Now that is funny!!! Best thing I have ever read about my songwriting... 

I do have to agree with stranger honcho... I am a huge Crucified fan as well, and there is nothing on here that remotely resembles their sound or vibe! Even with 2 of the key members performing on it...

I can never log onto this site from my phone or tablet, and rarely am I on my laptop, but when I am, I like to visit... 

Thanks for always making me smile, in more ways than one... ;-)

And by the way Wigeon, some bands and artists can fund their own projects with no help whatsoever... Like my solo album ERASERHEAD! I completely funded it, paid for flights, hotels, food costs, also the musicians fees all out of pocket by me! Just as I did with the following albums:

Assimilation
As Above - So Below
Hear What I Say
This Sad Veil of Tears (Fearful Symmetry)
Loss of Balance (Fearful Symmetry)
Back From Mars (Jupiter VI)
Movable Walls (Jupiter VI)
ERASERHEAD

These were NOT funded by a record label! They were completely paid for out of pocket! I have not had Label Support since 1989-1996! 

I think Crowdfunding is a cool thing for fans who want to fund a particular record or project to help direct the sound... Unfortunately, not every band and project can fund their project because of exorbitant costs... Thus the resorting to crowdfunding...

It can be a blessing... It can be a curse... Wigeon, send me an email to jimmypbrownii@gmail.com and I will make sure to get you a preview of ERASERHEAD since you dig the direction of Learn and River Disturbance... I think you will LOVE THIS!!!

Take care all, Blessings and Merry CHRISTmas!!!
jpbii

jimmypbrownii
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmypbrownii Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Temple of Blood and cailen...

check your PM's...

Thanks... :-)

jimmypbrownii
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next