The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album

+4
Frozen Fire
My Awesome Timothy
alldatndensum
Constantine
8 posters

Go down

Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album Empty Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album

Post by Constantine Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:46 am

Last edited by Constantine on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album Empty Re: Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album

Post by alldatndensum Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 am

I am not going to get involved in this. I've had quite a few bad experiences with crowdfunding campaigns. With no rewards or no guarantee of getting the CD when this is done, you are paying the artist first to make the art and then paying again to receive the art. That makes no sense to me.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider and Andreas89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album Empty Re: Narnia - Crowdfunding campaign for their next album

Post by Constantine Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am

I don't get involved in these either. I'm just letting people know what's going on. I'm actually surprised that Narnia feels the need to crowd fund, but I guess you never know what someone's situation is. I sure wish they would tour America one day, that I would want to support.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:05 am

alldatndensum wrote:I am not going to get involved in this.  I've had quite a few bad experiences with crowdfunding campaigns.  With no rewards or no guarantee of getting the CD when this is done, you are paying the artist first to make the art and then paying again to receive the art.  That makes no sense to me.

Me to, never again.
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:48 am

Yeah, I don't get a GoFundMe. It's $30,000 and not a cent comes back to a physical product for the one donating. That's a lot of money for no return. I've never considered such a thing.

It begs the question of how Christian put out The Waymaker album and a solo album without this and how Narnia, a band with a 25 year history and a worldwide fanbase feels the need to do this.  scratch
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

alldatndensum, Andreas89, Constantine and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 am

Bands with a following can use their name recognition to raise the funds and they know it.  Unknown bands have to either find a way to pay for studio time or have to purchase equipment and learn to do it themselves.  With this type of fund raiser, you as the fan are expected to give since you are already a fan or a new album might not happen.  I call this welfare for musicians.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm

firstly we have to understand why do bands make crowdfunding projects. it doesn't mean they don't have money to do it, it means they work and wish to get properly paid for the job.

Nothing wrong about that.

Now, regarding this campaign, I am going to donate, but you know, there is nothing in return, and the campaign do not state if its a flexible funding, or what. So, no big expectations about my donation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:33 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:Yeah, I don't get a GoFundMe. It's $30,000 and not a cent comes back to a physical product for the one donating. That's a lot of money for no return. I've never considered such a thing.

It begs the question of how Christian put out The Waymaker album and a solo album without this and how Narnia, a band with a 25 year history and a worldwide fanbase feels the need to do this.  scratch

Narnia is primarily Carl Johann Grimmark's band, he's written and produced every song they ever put out.  Christian's other projects have no financial bearing on Narnia.  This was probably Carl's decision, since he is the driving force behind the band, which has carried on without Christian. 

BTW, the link is broken.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:12 pm

^Thanks, link is now fixed.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Superjuice wrote:
Frozen Fire wrote:Yeah, I don't get a GoFundMe. It's $30,000 and not a cent comes back to a physical product for the one donating. That's a lot of money for no return. I've never considered such a thing.

Narnia is primarily Carl Johann Grimmark's band, he's written and produced every song they ever put out.  Christian's other projects have no financial bearing on Narnia.  This was probably Carl's decision, since he is the driving force behind the band, which has carried on without Christian. 

BTW, the link is broken.
I couldn't disagree more...

I consider Narnia a partnership between Grimmark and Christian.

Grimmark is a multitalented musician, producer and songwriter, while Christian is a talented singer, songwriter and has charisma and a great stage 
presence.
Grimmark is heart and Christian is the soul of the band.

Do you want a proof? See how Narnia didn't last long after Christian departure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:44 pm

Carl is Tom Scholz

Christian is Brad Delp

It is hardly an equal partnership.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 am

Almost one month later and only 182/25,000 euros...
As others have mentioned, this funding is way too vague and the only thing you get in return is that Narnia will put out a new album, just that; not even the new album digitally or something. Now I'm curious if the album's existence will be contingent on this crowdfunding program.

I'll pass of course. I have been disappointed too many times by lots of new albums so in most cases I want to hear the complete thing in advance before I throw any money at it. And when I buy an album I more or less expect the production costs already being included in the price (at full price at least). If that doesn't cover the costs I'm sorry about  that, but I will not go beyond my "duty" of buying the end product. If that doesn't cover the costs but a band is OK with that because the merch makes up for the loss for instance, then that's great. If there is no way to make up for the loss then there won't be new material I guess. That can be tragic, especially for the bands that I like, but it's quite normal to not have something that you can't afford.

Long story short: it would be great if Narnia could make another album but if that doesn't happen because this crowdfunding is a failure, I can live with that.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am

it is really hard nowadays to make the costs of producing an album, cd and everything. I doubt any christian band can make profit out of it. Maybe obly Stryper can do it...

This is just an estimative, but my guess is that 50% of the fans are going to download ilegally the album on the internet, 40% is going to listen to it on spotify and only 10% would purchase legally a physical media or download.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am

That said, The band is right to request donation and the fams have their freewill.
However, I guess a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign would be more profitable for both sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote: This is just an estimative, but my guess is that 50% of the fans are going to download ilegally the album on the internet, 40% is going to listen to it on spotify and only 10% would purchase legally a physical media or download.
I think illegally downloading music is appalling especially for those who call themselves christian. Yet I refuse to pay on their behalf; it's not my responsibility in the end.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 am

Andreas89 wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote: This is just an estimative, but my guess is that 50% of the fans are going to download ilegally the album on the internet, 40% is going to listen to it on spotify and only 10% would purchase legally a physical media or download.
I think illegally downloading music is appalling especially for those who call themselves christian. Yet I refuse to pay on their behalf; it's not my responsibility in the end.
Sure thing.

But look, you don`t want to pay for those illegally download, and neither do I. Those who take advantage will also refuse to pay for what they consume, so who pays for it? The band. So, they must pay to work and then maybe get paid back. 

Unless the band accept to take those risks, we won't see any new music coming, but the big bands with a strong and loyal fanbase.

We will never know the facts for sure, but my guess is that Narnia realized that making a new album is not profitable.

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

I would love a new Narnia album.  I would crowdfund to get one.  I don't want to donate to a Gofundme and get nothing for it.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Andreas89 wrote:

Owning a cd used to be a communal thing.  Guys would come over to hear your tunes, especially in a dorm room setting and that's how you'd listen to new music and fellowship with other metalheads (or w/e heads).  Loaning out music connected people as well (unless they "forgot" to return your music).

I remember looking at Fates Warning tapes in high school at the record store, but too afraid to take a chance on that 'No Exit' album even though I'd never seen an 8 part song before.  Years later a football teammate loaned out his 'Parallels' album to me and I got everything from Fates after that.  I'll always connect that album with that guy.

Music is totally disposable nowadays.  This is due to illegal AND legal downloading and Youtube uploads.  It is fun to read youtube comments though (as well as this board - heh).
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Superjuice wrote:

Owning a cd used to be a communal thing.  Guys would come over to hear your tunes, especially in a dorm room setting and that's how you'd listen to new music and fellowship with other metalheads (or w/e heads).  Loaning out music connected people as well (unless they "forgot" to return your music).
...Lol, or if they returned your album or CD to you damaged or scratched.  In college I lent the 1st Dokken L.P. to a dorm mate and when I got it back it had melted candle wax over the entire front cover. face palm  Tried to scrape it off, but hot candle wax is impossible to completely remove from cardboard so it was basically a loss after that.  That was memorable. though.

That dorm mate is a pastor now, lol.   He was one of very few on campus - a mere handful of us - who liked hard rock or heavy metal.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

To me music isn't disposable. I enjoy classic albums like Saint Time's End, Messiah Prophet Mater of the Metal and Mastedon It's a Jungle Out There. I also like newer releases. I never supported funding or albums. I wait until it comes out and then I'll preview a few tracks especially if it's a band I'm not that familiar with. If I lik eit I'll buy the CD and maybe the vinyl.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down