The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourniquet has a Kickstarter up for a NEW ALBUM!

+30
cailen
Andreas89
BearDad
Kermit The Hermit
crucifyd
Wigeon
My Awesome Timothy
Nocturnal Servant
lhversaw
New Creation
jaydeecrawson
sentient 6
Fundy
Machine Fish
KaramKaram
Hardcore Christian
Sir Shred A Lot
Blake
bjorn agin
exo
timekeeper
TheOldMan2084
bodachi
strangerhoncho
alldatndensum
Staybrite
deathisgain
Airola
eatbugs
SpaceGuy
34 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Tourniquet has a Kickstarter up for a NEW ALBUM! - Page 4 Empty Re: Tourniquet has a Kickstarter up for a NEW ALBUM!

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:34 pm

It is getting to the point that I'd rather have my money back out of most Kickstarter campaigns.  Few can deliver the album or the other rewards when promised.  A few days or even a couple of weeks is understandable.  But, many times, you get months and months (sometimes years) before the album is released.  With one I recently did, they sent out MP3s but I still haven't gotten my CD even though people have been able to buy them at the shows for a few weeks now.  To be honest, I am over crowdfunding.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Tourniquet has a Kickstarter up for a NEW ALBUM! - Page 4 Empty Re: Tourniquet has a Kickstarter up for a NEW ALBUM!

Post by eatbugs Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 am

I'm not giving up yet, sometimes crowdfunding is the only way to hear new music from old artists.  Unless you count the Demon Hunter "crowdfunding" that was really just a pre-order I have yet to have anything come out on time.

Welcome back BearDad.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 am

I'm not into crowdfunding at all. Of course it's a way for old artists to get to release new music, but I find the idea of a band first having to convince a label quite assuring.

But then again, this crowdfunding for bands may be more of an American thing. It happens quite alot with US bands, there aren't many European examples I know of. Of course there was the Essence of Sorrow debacle last month, but other than that...
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am

eatbugs wrote:I'm not giving up yet, sometimes crowdfunding is the only way to hear new music from old artists.  Unless you count the Demon Hunter "crowdfunding" that was really just a pre-order I have yet to have anything come out on time.

Welcome back BearDad.

No.  Just no.  Lesser known artists manage to find a way to record and produce new music without having to raise thousands and thousands of dollars.  Sure, they may not have the funds to promote an album like it should, but a lot of times these more known bands and still trying to market as though they were still relevant to the general populace but aren't exactly setting sales records.  The fans may get a new record, but you are not going to return to the glory days no matter what happens.

Oh, someone will mention that the quality isn't there for most indie artists.  I beg to differ.  Not to blow my own horn, but I dare someone to listen to my new blues rock stuff as Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band and tell me that quality can't be achieved on a shoestring budget.  To record, I have a small "band in a box" Korg unit.  I recorded everything at home and spent less than $700 to get it professionally mixed, mastered, AND have CDs made.  For another $100, I was able to use CD Baby Pro to get my music out to all digital outlets.  The myth that you have to have crowdfunding to be able to record a quality project is exactly that--a myth.  Bands like Saint and Lordchain have repeatedly shown you can obtain quality by doing it yourself.

Plus, doing yourself means that an artist doesn't have to pay income taxes on the money that comes in through a crowdfunding campaign.  Many artists find that out the hard way.  You may be helping yourself if you sell well enough, but there are added expenses to using crowdfunding that to me are just not necessary.

Crowdfunding just needs to stop.  You are an artist.  Create music while also creating a way to get it done without having to ask for handouts.  Will that mean hard work on top of making your normal living?  Sure!  We are artists, and that is part of the burden of being one.  We will find a way to create music
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes and No!

Yes the old days are gone and there is no big industry left that sells thousands
of metal albums. Some of the "big" bands of the days of old are now not known to the public anymore because they haven´t released albums maybe for decades.
 You can´t sell thousands of METAL CDs anymore.
Also the possibility of digital recording is much easier and cheaper than back then.

But: No, you can´t compare an independent release to a major release.
You can´t compare the opportunities of an professional studio with a professional
producer to an independent production.

As an artist you have to spend a lot of money and / or time for example for
equipment like:
good instruments, speakers, amps, recording hard- and software,
mics, effects, ... design, cover, booklet, manufactoring, promotion, ...

even before there is a final product.

If there is a market and people willing to contribute and support the artist, crowdfunding is a good thing.

If you create arts you should get something in return.
People don´t become rich in the music industries nowadays
but they need to be able to pay their bills. That is how it works.

If someone has a product that caused lower costs fine but you can´t 
compare this product to major releases with a big production in which many many 
people and equipment were involved in.

It should´t be a "burden" to be an artist.
Created art is not for free. It is also work that needs to be paid.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

... and last but not least:

a) there is still a big market for METAL here in Europe but the artist have their income
    by playing live and selling merchandise like shirts.

b) I was no backer for the new Tourniquet release but I will surely buy it when it is released.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:56 am

Well at least with the bands I have funded, I have gotten all my stuff on time, and heave really enjoyed the process
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:21 pm

It should´t be a "burden" to be an artist.
Created art is not for free. It is also work that needs to be paid.

Creating art is a business just like anything else.  Any business is a struggle and it is up to that business to find ways to compete and make money doing what they want.  Artists shouldn't be guaranteed a paycheck moreso than any other businessperson whether you sell music or whether you sell brake pads.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm

I agree with alldat. Any Joe can say they're an artist and expect to be paid but it they create crap, why should people support them?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 pm

@alldat: Yes, for sure. But I feel that there is nothing wrong to support
              your favourite band doing a new album.
               If you sell brake pads you know that they are bought and needed.
               Making a record / vinyl / Cd is a risk nowadays.
               You don´t know if you will sell them anymore.             

It is like producing special old brake pads for Oldtimers.
              And it is like: I need this special brake pads for my Oldtimer
              because I love driving this special car. I will support you because
              if I don´t the production will never happen.

@Black Rider: Don´t support them!

I am thinking of the title of the thread: I think of Tourniquet or
              Deliverance. Maybe without the backers the new recordings
              would have never ever happened.
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Ted made an announcement of an announcement to Kickstarter backers:

"The second half of March will be full of info - including vocalist updates!"

So, finally, we'll be getting new info this month.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Airola wrote:So, finally, we'll be getting new info this month.

Sadly it's only my fourth-longest active wait for a project I've backed (it's been less than two years after all).

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Shred A Lot Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Airola wrote:Ted made an announcement of an announcement to Kickstarter backers:

I've done numerous crowdfunding projects, but none have delivered on time. Frankly, this Tourniquet project is probably the last one I'll support. The original estimate for completion was March 2017, and here we are over a year later with nothing but announcements about future announcements, and one detail about a vocalist for one song. 

And just look at Ted's recent "announcement" that the second half of March would be "full of info," yet here it's almost May and the only actual info announced was the vocalist for one song. The same thing happens with nearly all of these crowdfunding efforts. Luke Easter's solo project looks like it *might* be an exception, as he wisely waited until the whole album was written, recorded, and mixed before beginning his crowdfunding effort. Those will probably be the only sort of projects I'll support in the future.

Sir Shred A Lot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:33 pm

If it costs you more than 6K to record (not mix/master/press) an album in 2018 then you're doing it wrong.

If you need more help with the rest, and you can't get band members to chip in, then I can understand crowdfunding.

But never crowdfund before you have an album written and recorded.  No one ever knows how long these things will take, and it's not fair to ask for people's money and keep them waiting.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Sir Shred A Lot wrote:
Airola wrote:Ted made an announcement of an announcement to Kickstarter backers:

I've done numerous crowdfunding projects, but none have delivered on time. Frankly, this Tourniquet project is probably the last one I'll support. The original estimate for completion was March 2017, and here we are over a year later with nothing but announcements about future announcements, and one detail about a vocalist for one song. 

And just look at Ted's recent "announcement" that the second half of March would be "full of info," yet here it's almost May and the only actual info announced was the vocalist for one song. The same thing happens with nearly all of these crowdfunding efforts. Luke Easter's solo project looks like it *might* be an exception, as he wisely waited until the whole album was written, recorded, and mixed before beginning his crowdfunding effort. Those will probably be the only sort of projects I'll support in the future.

Yeah, I have to admit I've been disappointed by the lack of news. The initial announcement of an announcement made it seem as if there would be lots of info coming up. I'd be glad to get even one new picture in every few days but it's not been even that.

The newest update is a picture of Aaron with Billy Graziadei (Aaron is recording vocals at his studio). I'd be glad to have stuff like that but more often, especially after saying the second half of March will be "full of info"... I understand that for different reasons the project might take longer than expected and I don't want to sound like a disgruntled fan but these crowdfunding things should be part of the fun for the fans too. Antiseptic Bloodbath was delayed a lot too, but Ted at least put out a new video every now and then to help with the wait. I was really excited to hear new updates are coming and was really excited to see the first of the updates but then the rate of updates slowed down immediately. We got three updates on March. Two were about Deen Castronovo and one was Ted saying the drumming on the new album is great. In April we've now got another three updates. One said the title track single is coming soon and had news of Chris Poland playing in the song. The second was about the theme of the lyrics for the song. And now the third is the picture of Aaron and Billy.

Now, I'm glad to have all that info but three updates in March and three in April doesn't really sound like "the second half of March will be full of info" Very Happy

Ted has posted that picture of Aaron to Facebook too and he's saying on the comments that the title track is coming very soon.
It's just that I have no idea anymore what "very soon" means. Very Happy
It's not just with this project but with different people I've seen "very soon" to mean a day or two, a week and even a month or even longer. It would be nice to hear if very soon means just days or if it means weeks here.

Oh well, at least we are now clearly closer to completion than a year ago :/
And I was able to wait for the third season of Twin Peaks over 25 years so maybe I can handle this one too Very Happy

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Personally I expect to wait a long time on every crowd funding campaign. I've never believed the projected date. I somehow thought the Deliverance album would come close, given what Jimmy said, and it took an extra 7 months, 9 for the physical album. That's the last time I expected anything close.

Like others have said, the only way to come close is to have the album done. Yet, even then Disciple & Deliverance got labels which added months of promotion to their timeline. Luke Easter and The Altar Boys will fall into that if that happens with their material.

In the end, I back it because I want something from the band. I'm prepared to wait. The odd part with Tourniquet this time is having no idea who is even on the album. That's strange.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:But never crowdfund before you have an album written and recorded.  No one ever knows how long these things will take, and it's not fair to ask for people's money and keep them waiting.

Only two "crowdfunding" projects I've backed have ever been on time.  Both were exactly what you're talking about: Demon Hunter and Disciple were both pre-orders and not true crowdfunding campaigns.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 pm

The only crowdfunding project I have been a part of with a resonable delay was the Bloodgood last album. But it looked like the album was nearly completely recorded, as well.

I don't know if it is fair or not to ask for money before recording an album. The crowdfunding, in its essence is to raise money to record an album or any other project, and it is kind of between the lines that the project launcher can't do this by himself.
But if the delay is a problem like Tourniquey kickstater projects, then probably the future projects won't be so successful, as many backers might not entrust their money to them again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:01 pm

It seems people are using the crowdfunding stuff to replace the advance they used to get back in the day. They want to make sure they make a certain amount to make it worth their time.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:34 pm

^There may be some truth to that. Unsold CDs are already paid for, there won't be any loss to the artist if the album flops
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4