The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worshiping God Through Music

+13
Peter who was Vaak
Grindboy
godsrocker1970
Driven
Hardcore Christian
ThomasEversole
KaramKaram
alldatndensum
Samson
Andreas89
d@v!d
Blake
Kerrick
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Worshiping God Through Music - Page 2 Empty Re: Worshiping God Through Music

Post by Grindboy Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I have many thoughts on these subjects, and while of course I may be wrong or at best incomplete, I believe them to be biblical and well thought-out.  As this has been bumped back, I’ll go ahead and try to put my thoughts into words.

I’ve never particularly enjoyed the music at a church either, probably like many on this board.  Music taste is obviously an issue of personal preference.  I have heard it said, and I believe correctly, that if somebody “can’t worship” to a particular style, the issue is with the person more than with the music.  By all means, I many times struggle with various elements of church, music, etc., and by all means I may even have some issues with various elements of them – but it’s still my own junk that gets in my own way, not something from the outside.  Again by all means, a church ought to do as much as is possible to remove as much of the difficulty/obstacles for as many people as is possible, but until we’re in Heaven there will be some problems.  That’s just how it is.  (Side note – this is one of my personal biggest issues with people who are very quick and righteous to slam churches.  Of course they’re imperfect.  Of course there are going to be things where we don’t all agree 100%.  Of course we’ll have differences of perspective and preference.  It’s great to say that “churches SHOULD _________,” but on a human level they’re a group of humans.  You’re one of them.  Don’t expect Heaven until you’re there!)

Anyway: the most quoted saying of Jesus in the gospels (with different wordings and different contexts), 6 times in the 4 gospels, and at least once in each of them, is some variation of “the one who seeks to save/find their life will lose it, and the one who gives up their life/loses it will find it.”  Clearly, this is a major teaching of Jesus, and clearly this is something that he also demonstrated in an ultimate way.  While most of us will not be asked to literally have our lives end for Christ, we are all asked to give up ourselves for the cause of Jesus (and, as I hope this makes clear, in doing so we gain much more, but that’s for another day/post).  This represents laying down what we would like or chose in deference for something bigger, and the further we go with this idea the higher level of discipleship and following Jesus I believe we demonstrate.

In regards to church/music, I think this absolutely works.  Many churches specifically work to use music that connects emotionally with the largest segment of our society possible.  Some leaders/pastors/parishoners may like it, others may not, but that’s really irrelevant.  They’re giving up their preference to give people an experience that they can connect to and enjoy.  I believe that there is everything right and Christ-like about this.  Those who insist on music or elements that they specifically enjoy are clearly not paying working through the principle of Jesus mentioned above.  It’s ok if you enjoy something, it’s ok if you don’t enjoy something, but your enjoyment might not be the best test for whether something’s the best way to proceed or not.

Here’s what I really recommend for any and every believer.  Don’t go to church for yourself, of your enjoyment, or even your growth.  Go to church to be a part of something larger than yourself that’s actively focused on reaching people who are apart from Christ.  Isn’t that what Jesus himself did?  And as the physical manifestation of Christ present on the Earth today, would that not seem appropriate to follow him in that way?  Give, serve, help be a part of in whatever way you’re able to create an environment where people are regularly coming to faith in Jesus.  As much as is possible, forget about whether you “like” the music, or the lights, or the preaching, or the carpet.  Those just aren’t the point.  But when people come to Jesus for their forgiveness and God’s glory and you know that he’s using you as a part of that literally priceless event – I hope and trust that there’s a satisfaction and joy there that goes SO FAR beyond enjoying a service – and now all of the sudden you’re also a stronger disciple, IMO, for following Jesus and giving up your own self and your own preference for him.  Beautiful!  I hope that makes sense.

Practically speaking, I think either singing even when you don’t like the song or silently praying and meditating on the lyrics is great either way.  I don’t think coming after the music is a great solution – what you said is true, worship is about God, not us.  As for the role of emotions, I think it varies wildly from person to person, and I think that we have a tendency to think everybody else ought to have our same experience.  Others think it’s odd, but I connect emotionally more with Grave Declaration than Hillsong or Martin Luther.  I get all excited singing along on my way to church!  But not at all, particularly, in the church service itself.  Others connect in deep emotional ways through whatever else, and so good.  Music is powerful emotionally, and I think God created it that way, and I think that’s why we’re to worship him through music, because it helps us connect emotionally to him, and we’re created as emotional beings.  Emotion isn’t everything, and can very much get out of hand, and may often even be confused for the Spirit of God.  But I could say the same thing in slightly different ways for intellect and rational thinking.  Some of us are more emotional, others of us are more intellectual.  We all ought to engage God on both/all levels, but neither are the end-all-be-all. 

Also, fully agree with Chris/alldat regarding Romans 12 being the most clear biblical text on worship.  Absolutely worship is more than singing/music, and in fact I despise that those are many times confused.  Worship is a lifestyle, worship is moment-by-moment living as the person that God created you to be.  But, as mentioned above, music is particularly effective at drawing out certain elements of how we connect to God.

I’m out of time and energy, but I’ll say that, although I think his use/abuse of Scripture is embarrassingly horrific on nearly every page, The Purpose Driven Life gets things right on a big-picture level and does an excellent job of thinking through one of the biggest questions of life (purpose), and puts the answer in a clean package, so to speak. 

Now, everybody go ahead with the TL;DR’s.  I promise, I could have written for hours longer!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Brother, that was beautiful!!
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 pm

I wonder how a persons theological beliefs and a churches theological teachings play apart in this...lots of verses and teachings have been thrown out here and as normal there is disagreements...

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am

Regardless of your view, your personal theological beliefs and your church background will always play a part in how we see things.  You aren't immune, either.  There is not a single one of us that are so perfect that we are not looking through rose colored stained glass windows at most issues.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 am

Grindboy wrote:I have many thoughts on these subjects...

Wow, that was very good; thank you!  You touched on a very important concept of church NOT being for me or my benefit but that of God's kingdom on Earth and the expansion/strengthening thereof.  We could start a whole other thread on what church is and should be...

What you said about emotions is another thing that has been a lifelong struggle for me and is something that's been coming up a lot this last year as I am preparing to marry.  Perhaps that'd be best for another thread too.

Savage Amusement wrote:I wonder how a persons theological beliefs and a churches theological teachings play apart in this...lots of verses and teachings have been thrown out here and as normal there is disagreements...

alldatndensum wrote:Regardless of your view, your personal theological beliefs and your church background will always play a part in how we see things.  You aren't immune, either.  There is not a single one of us that are so perfect that we are not looking through rose colored stained glass windows at most issues.

Word.  And in many ways, that is the beauty of it!  We're all coming together from different perspectives and [hopefully, ideally] sharpening, honing, and lovingly challenging one another in it.  But our own individual perspectives don't negate the universal truths of God's Word, identity, glory, desire for His people, etc.  And I suppose that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of here.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:19 am

You're correct that my thoughts were rooted in a particular philosophy/understanding of what church should be.  And that although I tried to back that up to a degree, it certainly would be it's own thread, and I know many good people would disagree with me strongly.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:48 am

Word.  And in many ways, that is the beauty of it!  We're all coming together from different perspectives and [hopefully, ideally] sharpening, honing, and lovingly challenging one another in it.  But our own individual perspectives don't negate the universal truths of God's Word, identity, glory, desire for His people, etc.  And I suppose that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of here.
Hard to "get to the bottom of here" when there so many views...as with everything else in this world church is a touchy subject and so is praise and worship..some like the traditional  denominational church, others want the big nondenominational megachurch and some insist on home groups and just like everyone is walking their own path with God so do churches...as already mentioned maybe we need a  "Thread on what church is and should be..." but I figure it would get touchy also... I really truthfully dont think when you have this many views on church and praise and worship there is any sharpening, honing, and lovingly challenging one another...

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 am

I've gone to a few different churches in my life.  We had bland hymnal readings with the organ and a choir, that was awful at Lutheran and Presbyterian churches; went to an Orthodox church and they just read liturgy, that was terrible; went to churches that had sort of mellow rock bands, but honestly?  I'm a metalhead, I love, love metal, and I know that God loves that I love metal, but my current church which has a rock band which plays Hillsong, Bethel, Matt Redman, etc. that stuff is perfect.  Speaks to the soul for me.  I had been to services before with rock bands, but somehow this was different.  The presence of God was clearly in the atmosphere.  I was rocked by it and have found myself listening more and more to this type of music and a little less to metal even though I've been on this stuff for a good 15 years.

Now, I do believe that there are different ways that people pray and worship, we're not all made to do one way or another.  Do I believe that God wants us to do one over the other?  Well, yes, you can come to my church, you can stop the singers on stage and hear the congregation singing in unison with heart-filled praise, but do they have anymore devotion than the lady who sits at the organ and plays dutifully?  Probably not.  Maybe her fingers running along the keys as the feet hit the peddles is what she was brought here for and the Holy Ghost moves through that.  What of the elderly man who recites the the hymns as he always has?  I'm going to say "yes."  It's not one of those situations in which I am reminded of the time I went to a Coptic Orthodox church a few months ago.  A friend had reasoned, when he was 3 or 4, that God exists.  Very smart guy, but he was looking at the early church as a guide to what he should go to, despite the problems that arise there, and so my roommate and I went to church with him.  It was awful.  We recited liturgy, well, they did, I didn't have the app or a book, and it was painful.  I asked God what He thought of it and clearly heard Him say "They worship me the best they know how, but I'm not there."  Which then leads me to the ultimate point: I do think God wants to go after the heart.  He wants us to be changed for Him.  And I think if we do pray for it, He will direct us as He  wants and we need to be.  I had grown up in churches where everything was more reserved and I don't believe God wants that.  I am reminded of a story my pastor told.  One time he was at a church and he was sitting in the pews and everyone was listening to the pastor.  He very clearly heard God say "I want you to stand up."  He responded "But God, we don't at this point."  Then the guy next to him stood up and he heard God say "If you will not do what I want, I will get someone else."  The more I think about it, the less I believe that God wants us to do something because it's tradition and more I believe He wants us to be open to go beyond our comfort zone.  I'm a shy person, trust me, this is hard for me to do the stuff I do.  At least initially.

Now, that's not to say that we all act the same.  Some raise their hands, I do; some sing along, I do; some cry like babies, I do; others fall on their faces, I generally don't; and still others feel themselves stirred to pray for others, I don't generally; or meditate on the words that are sung and take into solemn account of what they mean.  They may not be biblical, but often times the lyrics are written from a place of worship and they do have a way of evoking certain thoughts, feelings, etc., which are great and perhaps that's what God has called some too.

I would suggest silencing everything, getting alone with God, pray and ask for guidance on this.  You're clearly coming from a place of reverence, wanting to honor God and I'm certain He wants to tell you.  I felt God say ask Him and He'll show you truth.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Peter who was Vaak wrote:I've gone to a few different churches in my life.  We had bland hymnal readings with the organ and a choir, that was awful at Lutheran and Presbyterian churches; went to an Orthodox church and they just read liturgy, that was terrible; went to churches that had sort of mellow rock bands, but honestly?  I'm a metalhead, I love, love metal, and I know that God loves that I love metal, but my current church which has a rock band which plays Hillsong, Bethel, Matt Redman, etc. that stuff is perfect.  Speaks to the soul for me.  I had been to services before with rock bands, but somehow this was different.  The presence of God was clearly in the atmosphere.  I was rocked by it and have found myself listening more and more to this type of music and a little less to metal even though I've been on this stuff for a good 15 years.

Dude, you and me have similar stories when it comes to that. When I discovered IHOP's music, everything changed that day. Today, their music, as well as Bethel and Jesus Culture is what I listen to when I worship.
Samson
Samson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 pm

I took all your posts and made it into a book.  Is that okay?  Thanks for the material.  There's no copyright laws in these here forums I believe.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

H.M. Murdock wrote:
Peter who was Vaak wrote:I've gone to a few different churches in my life.  We had bland hymnal readings with the organ and a choir, that was awful at Lutheran and Presbyterian churches; went to an Orthodox church and they just read liturgy, that was terrible; went to churches that had sort of mellow rock bands, but honestly?  I'm a metalhead, I love, love metal, and I know that God loves that I love metal, but my current church which has a rock band which plays Hillsong, Bethel, Matt Redman, etc. that stuff is perfect.  Speaks to the soul for me.  I had been to services before with rock bands, but somehow this was different.  The presence of God was clearly in the atmosphere.  I was rocked by it and have found myself listening more and more to this type of music and a little less to metal even though I've been on this stuff for a good 15 years.

Dude, you and me have similar stories when it comes to that. When I discovered IHOP's music, everything changed that day. Today, their music, as well as Bethel and Jesus Culture is what I listen to when I worship.
IHOP does have some stuff that's pretty great.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Now, I do believe that there are different ways that people pray and worship, we're not all made to do one way or another.  Do I believe that God wants us to do one over the other?  Well, yes, you can come to my church, you can stop the singers on stage and hear the congregation singing in unison with heart-filled praise, but do they have anymore devotion than the lady who sits at the organ and plays dutifully?  Probably not.  Maybe her fingers running along the keys as the feet hit the peddles is what she was brought here for and the Holy Ghost moves through that.  What of the elderly man who recites the the hymns as he always has?  I'm going to say "yes."  It's not one of those situations in which I am reminded of the time I went to a Coptic Orthodox church a few months ago.  A friend had reasoned, when he was 3 or 4, that God exists.  Very smart guy, but he was looking at the early church as a guide to what he should go to, despite the problems that arise there, and so my roommate and I went to church with him.  It was awful.  We recited liturgy, well, they did, I didn't have the app or a book, and it was painful.  I asked God what He thought of it and clearly heard Him say "They worship me the best they know how, but I'm not there."  Which then leads me to the ultimate point: I do think God wants to go after the heart.  He wants us to be changed for Him.  And I think if we do pray for it, He will direct us as He  wants and we need to be.  I had grown up in churches where everything was more reserved and I don't believe God wants that.  I am reminded of a story my pastor told.  One time he was at a church and he was sitting in the pews and everyone was listening to the pastor.  He very clearly heard God say "I want you to stand up."  He responded "But God, we don't at this point."  Then the guy next to him stood up and he heard God say "If you will not do what I want, I will get someone else."  The more I think about it, the less I believe that God wants us to do something because it's tradition and more I believe He wants us to be open to go beyond our comfort zone.  I'm a shy person, trust me, this is hard for me to do the stuff I do.  At least initially.

That's your man made opinion.  The more showy forms of worship that you speak of have become just as much tradition as the old school hymns.  In some larger churches across the country, the trend is already swinging back to more hymns and less showy experiences. 

God does want us to connect with Him from the heart.  For one, it will be through reciting of liturgy.  Another it will be running around like they just scored a touchdown.  To say that God isn't in a quieter service is to limit His power to speak even in a still, small voice.  Personally, all styles of singing are probably needed to reach certain people.

I still maintain that worship isn't something we do when we sing.  It is how we live.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:46 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

That's your man made opinion.  The more showy forms of worship that you speak of have become just as much tradition as the old school hymns.  In some larger churches across the country, the trend is already swinging back to more hymns and less showy experiences. 

God does want us to connect with Him from the heart.  For one, it will be through reciting of liturgy.  Another it will be running around like they just scored a touchdown.  To say that God isn't in a quieter service is to limit His power to speak even in a still, small voice.  Personally, all styles of singing are probably needed to reach certain people.

I still maintain that worship isn't something we do when we sing.  It is how we live.
It says in the bible we are to worship in spirit and in truth and having been to an orthodox service I can say the Holy Spirit isn't there. There was a noticeable void. And what I said up there? I said because God told me it. It wasn't for show and because people are moving backwards doesn't mean there's any greater reason to support that. Further, if the spirit calls you to go back to hymns then that's great, but if you're doing it for tradition sake, then you're missing the point. I don't know, I asked God again and He told me and my friend He's not down with the transition to hymns. Sounds like religion for religion and tradition for tradition.

I'll agree with your heart on the matter, but the problem with liturgy is it's rigid in nature. It's I do "this, this, and this.  Done.".  It's so weird. And yeah, I agree with your last bit.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 pm

It says in the bible we are to worship in spirit and in truth and having been to an orthodox service I can say the Holy Spirit isn't there. There was a noticeable void. And what I said up there? I said because God told me it. It wasn't for show and because people are moving backwards doesn't mean there's any greater reason to support that. Further, if the spirit calls you to go back to hymns then that's great, but if you're doing it for tradition sake, then you're missing the point. I don't know, I asked God again and He told me and my friend He's not down with the transition to hymns. Sounds like religion for religion and tradition for tradition.
The holy spirit lives inside us..he doesn't show up and leave....I have attended multiple services over the years at just about every church in town and the spirit is there in the hearts of the true believers...you talk about tradition vs religion (they are one of the same in my view)...the idea that the spirit shows up and moves in a service is religion the way i see it.. Its not about how we feel or what we feel...even when we dont feel like the spirit is there he is there living in your heart..

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:02 pm

You know, I've been so all over the map on the so-called "worship wars" to the point where I am just sick of it all.  The bottom line for me is that worship is an attitude of the heart and not limited to any particular set of actions, any particular environment, or any artistic style.  Musically, it is the same way.  Some songs really connect with me, some don't.  Some songs hit some times and not others.  Not everything that I worship with is traditionally "Christian".  Some is quite traditionally Christian, as in Gregorian chant traditional.  As for liturgy, I used to believe it was lifeless "religion", but as I studied the development of liturgy, I've learned that it also creates an opportunity to connect believers around the world and through time in a common worship experience that transcends the ordinary experience.  One thing I miss in my current church is that sense of liturgy.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:20 am

I'm gonna file that under the "hogwash" file right there.  God can and does use all types of "worship" styles to reach different people.  You may have thought those traditional services were dead and void.  I've been in some that were quite amazing.  You assume that you know the hearts of those people and hide behind the whole "Well, God told me...." banner.  Cults get started with that.  Worshiping in spirit and truth is about our heart condition and being transparent--not about whether we are singing something 200 years old versus something top 40 CCM charts.  That's just ridiculous.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:52 am

hide behind the whole "Well, God told me...." banner.  Cults get started with that.

you just described all religions here including Christianity (which claims to be the only way and God said so).. so is Christianity a cult? (a cult being any religion that has authoritarian leadership, indoctrination, exclusivity, isolation, and opposition to independent thinking as well as recruiting people by offering a form of acceptance and purpose while discouraging questions and marginalizing those who fail to toe the line. Organized religion is just a cult on steroids)

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:33 am

Savage Amusement wrote:
hide behind the whole "Well, God told me...." banner.  Cults get started with that.

you just described all religions here including Christianity (which claims to be the only way and God said so).. so is Christianity a cult? (a cult being any religion that has authoritarian leadership, indoctrination, exclusivity, isolation, and opposition to independent thinking as well as recruiting people by offering a form of acceptance and purpose while discouraging questions and marginalizing those who fail to toe the line. Organized religion is just a cult on steroids)

I am not even going to chase that rabbit.  Monkey Biz
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon Hill Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:01 am

Here is a quote about some of the new Christian music being used as worship in the church that somebody said:

"There are several reasons for opposing it. One, it’s too new. Two, it’s often worldly, even blasphemous. The new Christian music is not as pleasant as the established style. Because there are so many new songs you can’t learn them all. It puts too much emphasis on instrumental music rather than Godly lyrics. This new music creates disturbances; people act indecently and disorderly. The preceding generation got along without it. It’s a money making scene and some of these new music upstarts are lewd and loose."

I'm not sure how many people would agree with this in general for today's music, but I definitely hear some people saying in Christendom that they don't like today's music being used in church for worship.  The interesting thing though is that this is a quote written in 1723.  The new music the person is referring to in the quote is the hymns of Isaac Watts such as "When I Survey the Wonderous Cross" etc.  Nobody would call these songs blasphemous or worldly in today's age.  

So why was there opposition to it in the past?  I think it was because it was different, and people don't like different and don't like change.  In fact I would go so far to say that I also think Satan hates change in the church and God doing new things, and he tries to convince Christians to resist this change too.  However God is a creative God.  He is always doing different and new things.  200 years down the road would people look at the church's criticism of some of the current day's worship songs and wonder as well why they thought these things?

Personally I think we need to be careful that we aren't criticizing things just because it is different than what we are used to, or what we like.  We have to be careful that we are not criticizing something that God is indeed behind, but we don't see it because we are stuck in our desire to stay the same.  It happened with Christian metal - tons of the church was opposed to it at first, but now it is way more accepted and seen as from God.  Sometimes it's hard to know what changes are from God and what isn't, but I believe we need to be open to change, new things and worship music in church that is different than what we know of from the past.

In terms of what should we do if we don't like the worship music at our church?  Personally I think worship of God should far trump our preferred style of music.  Yes, for me, I can engage in worship a lot easier when it is a style I enjoy, but ultimately it is not about me only.  It is about Jesus and that He is worthy of praise and worship in all circumstances - and if the style of worship at the church I attend is not to my liking, my ultimate goal would be to try to engage in it as much as possible for the purpose of worshiping my Lord...because He is worth it, and He is worth so much more than just my preference of music...
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:12 am

Getting "used" to worship songs can also be a danger. As if you get too used to your worship music then it loses its meaning and it becomes muscle memory
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Peter who was Vaak wrote:
 I don't know, I asked God again and He told me and my friend He's not down with the transition to hymns. Sounds like religion for religion and tradition for tradition.

How did God tell you ? I would say in general that the lyrics of traditional hymns are far more biblical than your average IHOP song ( if one cares about such a thing these days ). If we find Gods truth in His Word, then our songs of worship should be reflect that.

Now this would be question for those who are traditional orthodox Christians - how does the biblical content of modern worship songs measure up to the biblical content of traditional protestant hymns in your opinions ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:"traditional" hymns..or as my wife calls it "dead music written by dead people"

That may be because the message contained is offensive ? Or that the music is considered boring ?

I know when a use the word " traditional " I mean it in the sense that the words of the hymn reflect " traditional " protestant theology. And sure, that would cause an offense to some peoples religious systems.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

I shared this before....but I think its a great satire on some modern church music.

sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:06 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
Peter who was Vaak wrote:
 I don't know, I asked God again and He told me and my friend He's not down with the transition to hymns. Sounds like religion for religion and tradition for tradition.

How did God tell you ? I would say in general that the lyrics of traditional hymns are far more biblical than your average IHOP song ( if one cares about such a thing these days ). If we find Gods truth in His Word, then our songs of worship should be reflect that.

Now this would be question for those who are traditional orthodox Christians - how does the biblical content of modern worship songs measure up to the biblical content of traditional protestant hymns in your opinions ?
I think I still basically qualify as a "traditional orthodox Christian," at least for these purposes.  I think some of the modern stuff is drivel--pop love songs performed in a religious context and repetitious "rah rah" cheerleaders for God type songs--but there is also a lot that is quite reminiscent of Psalms.  What I mean there is a lot of songs that are personal responses to the love and presence and work of God in the lives of the writers.  I do think there are a number of unbiblical songs as well, "Ancient Words" comes to mind.  I'll also go ahead and brand myself a heretic and say that I think the same holds true for "traditional" hymns.  "In the Garden" is pure sentimental drivel straight out of Tin Pan Alley; "Amazing Grace," "How Great Thou Art," and songs like that are more beefy psalm-like songs.  Here comes the real heretical part:  I think songs like "Onward Christian Soldiers" and "The Old Rugged Cross" are quite unbiblical for different reasons.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:29 pm

sentient 6 wrote:I shared this before....but I think its a great satire on some modern church music.
Funny!
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next