[ 11 ]
20% 20% 
[ 10 ]
24% 24% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 51

old school Christian Metal poll!

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Not including Stryper (who were technically a secular band with Christian members and we all know they would win here), which of these early Christian Metal pioneers do you vote for? Why? Let's discuss the good ole days of Christian Metal!

Back to top Go down

Re: old school Christian Metal poll!

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:21 pm

This is really difficult

Rez Band and Bloodgood are some of my faves ever
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:37 pm

While technically the first Christian rock album i had was reresurrection band(8track of colors) i went with daniel band...someone made me a cassette of them when i was in high school and i liked it alot...reminded me of triumph and April wine...i now have all their stuff on cd...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 pm

I finally decided upon Bloodgood
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Very difficult to pick just one, but I went with Bloodgood. Has a classic metal sound without sounding like anyone else. I could have went with BC, but they kind of were going for the " Maiden " sound somewhat. But to be fair, still pretty original regardless. Daniel Bands On Rock was one of my first introductions to Christian rock ( besides Petra ), and loved that album a lot. But it wasn't quite metal, but more along the lines of what April Wine did ( great band as well though ). Messiah Prophet and Barnabas I really didn't get into until later. But I would say that Bloodgood was probably the best Straight-up metal band at that time. For their classic metal sound and originality.
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:29 pm

I went with Resurrection Band.  They had a huge catalog of albums that I love from that era.  I play their stuff more than I do any of those others, and I love many of those.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StarPilot on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:21 am

Saint. Too Late For Living is better than any Stryper album.
StarPilot
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by exo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:24 am

None of the above, honestly.  Other than Stryper, the first Christian Metal bands I got in to were Deliverance and Tourniquet.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:38 am

REZ hands down they should have been  in the same legendary status as zep more so becasue zep just ripped everyone off I mean literally. Rez one of the best blues hard rock bands ever.

I like barnabas and some bride as well but my vote is for rez.
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 am

VERY hard choice.  I went Rez.

Bride - Snakes in the Playground is one of my all-time favorite albums, but they have also made some I don't care for.
Barren Cross - Here I AM is one of my all-time favorite songs, but they have also made some I don't care for.

Rez has been consistently good over the whole discography although I could have voted Bloodgood for the same reason.

I love Messiah Prophet too but only two albums (I don't have Colors) is not enough material to put them past Rez. 

Rez have awesome lyrics too, with more meat to them than simple happy Jesus-per-minute like some of the others listed.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:14 am

I know some might laugh, but my vote goes to Stryken!!!

Back in the day I would have answered with: Bride.

However, after all these years, in my honest and humble opinion, Stryken seems to have aged the best. I know they only released the one album. But it was GENIUS!!! "Crush the Head of Satan", "Rock On" and "Young Men Had a Vision" ... complete revolutionary songs! This band was HUGELY underrated!!

One of my favorite Glam Metal albums - secular or Christian! If they had carried on ... there is no telling what they would have accomplished. They even had a very unique sound ... they had dubbed "Thunder Rock" ...

So yeah - Stryken!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:40 pm

I know some might laugh, but my vote goes to Stryken!!!

Seems like I read that one of the members of stryken is now a preacher who preaches against christian rock and metal and really goes after his old band...interesting..
I never heard of alot of christian metal bands till the 90s...back in the 80s i new petra, daniel band, rez, stryper and barren cross...thats it.. alot of old bands i never even heard of till this forum... i only heard of saint, bloodgood, rage of angels and several others about 6 years ago...

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 pm

I like many of those bands, but I went with Rez. They're the band that started it all for me.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:29 pm

(IMHO) Resurrection Band/REZ are not a metal band. No big deal, it is just an opinion.

Of those listed, I voted for Barren Cross.

Neon Cross, Holy Soldier & Gardian/Guardian were around as long as most of the bands on the list.  I would have voted for Neon Cross. When Mitch was in the band (PK Mitchell) They had a guitar tandem among the best in El Lay at the time. (IMHO)

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 pm

I voted Bride, I love all of their releases, but my faves are from Heroes to Snakes

Deadpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:02 pm

My vote was torn between Bride, Barren Cross and Rez because all 3 had a huge impact on me. I stuck with Bride as the winner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:44 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Stryken seems to have aged the best.
I enjoy Stryken and think of their release as a neat collectible to have, but aged well? Out of all of these to me they sound the most dated/tin can production-ed Smile

But I do enjoy each and every one of these bands to a certain extent
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mang67 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:58 pm

All great bands, but I agree with some others here that Rez and Bloodgood are the 2 that top the list.

Rez was a hard-rocking hard-touring ministry band with amazing talent and vision that made a huge impact in the Christian rock scene, influencing many that came after them.  In the early days they were it, and they didn't decline with age as some bands do. All their albums are classics, or at least very good. Love them!

I had to vote for Bloodgood though.  On a personal level, when I first heard their Metal Missionaries tape I was hooked.  There was some great Christian hard rock out there, but not really much true metal that had a message of Christ's love.  I'd heard Stryper previously, but it didn't rock the way Bloodgood did. Their first 2 albums are absolute classics, followed by several decent albums, but their newest one, Dangerously Close is their best to date.  Get it! Lifetime Bloodgood fan here.
Mang67
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:16 pm

James B. wrote:(IMHO) Resurrection Band/REZ are not a metal band. No big deal, it is just an opinion.

I agree 100% with you. The only reason I included them here is because they were Hard Rock and had a huge impact on the Christian Metal scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:Stryken seems to have aged the best.
I enjoy Stryken and think of their release as a neat collectible to have, but aged well? Out of all of these to me they sound the most dated/tin can production-ed Smile

But I do enjoy each and every one of these bands to a certain extent

I know exactly what you are saying. Which is why I said "I might get laughed at for my choice". Meaning ... I know that the production on Stryken's one and only album is terrible! If you had asked me back in the day - I would have responded like you. Good band ... bad production ... so they are not a fave.

However, after aging for more than 20 years since ... I purchased one of the remastered versions of "First Strike" a few years back ... and the remastering did something AMAZING. It painted a picture of Stryken ... in a different light. The production ... after the remastering ... makes Stryken look like the band they always were (but were never appreciated enough during their time, they were a classic example of truly an underrated band). Even Stryper threatened to take them to court because of their early incarnation's name similarities. This is true. Fact. Stryper felt threatened by Stryken ... because Stryken was being launched ... and could easily have become the 'next huge thing' ... after Stryper. Their production held them back.

But with the remastering ... and some use of the imagination ... going back over "First Strike" with a fine tooth comb ... will find you dazzled. I was amazed a few weeks ago again as I did this. Even my son of 10 years old was like "WOW DAD! This band could have become the Motley Crue of the Christian Metal scene back then!". He's right. They could have. But they did not. In the end they fizzled out after only one album. But they were much closer to a breakthrough than they probably realized at the time. And with the setback of being sued by one of your favorite bands ... that probably hurt them and took some of their momentum away. Anyway ... had they endured ... I am willing to bet they would have gone on to become as well respected and huge as Stryper or at least Barren Cross (with a secular deal and what not).

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:32 am

Throne of thorns wrote:REZ hands down they should have been  in the same legendary status as zep more so becasue zep just ripped everyone off I mean literally. Rez one of the best blues hard rock bands ever.

I like barnabas and some bride as well but my vote is for rez.
Those are the 3 I liked the most back then too!  I voted for Bride because Live to Die is still amazing to this day, but I could have easily voted for Rez as well.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 am

RavenWolf wrote:
James B. wrote:(IMHO) Resurrection Band/REZ are not a metal band. No big deal, it is just an opinion.

I agree 100% with you. The only reason I included them here is because they were Hard Rock and had a huge impact on the Christian Metal scene.
In the 70s they were most definitely heavy metal.  If you're going to talk about old bands, then you also need to go by the standards of the time they were active in.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I went with Saint. Like others, I found this to be a very difficult choice. But Saint just epitomized heavy metal.

I like Bloodgood, but they're nowhere near the top of that list IMO. Rez was good, but again, nowhere near the top of the list. My second choice would probably have been Bride or Messiah Prophet. Had MP put out more records, they'd have probably been my favorite, but they just didn't do enough. Bride was incredible, if poorly produced on those early records.

When I consider how early in the Christian metal scene Warriors of the Son came along, and then the greatness of Time's End in '86, I had to go with Saint.
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:26 pm

I voted for Stryken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Just curious...who hear was an avid Christian metal listener only in the 80s and real early 90s..

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:10 pm

I went with Saint, but just as easily could have picked Bloodgood or Barren Cross.
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Aaron C wrote:I voted for Stryken

Metal 3   Metal 3   Metal 3   Metal 3   Metal 3   Metal 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:Just curious...who hear was an avid Christian metal listener only in the 80s and real early 90s..

When I was a kid I was only allowed to listen to Christian music, so I had to sneak secular in and I didn't do that until about 1989 or so. Before that - it was all Christian music all the time. I felt very limited in my choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:06 pm

I grew up with listening to Bon Jovi, AC DC, Iron Maiden, Warlock ... in the early 80s.

Then in 1988 I changed to Petra, Bloodgood ... later to Vengeance Rising, Deliverance, Believer,
 The Crucified and later on Tourniquet and Mortification.

by the way: I voted for Saint because they were one of the first christian metal bands.
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Very easy choice. Bloodgood and Deliverance are my favorite bands ever (with or without Stryper, christian and secular).

But from the bands listed, I also got some love for:
Daniel Band
Rez Band
Saint

All the other bands had great moments, but also some warm and cold moments and while analyzing a band career, I take into consideration their entire discography, not only one or two albums.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:10 pm

I honestly love and own at least a album by each of these bands.

So I keep coming back here and debating with myself who I shouldve voted for Razz
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:I honestly love and own at least a album by each of these bands.

So I keep coming back here and debating with myself who I shouldve voted for Razz

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Savage Amusement wrote:Just curious...who hear was an avid Christian metal listener only in the 80s and real early 90s..

With few exceptions, I listened to only Christian metal from '87 to about '91. I started following Christian rock music in '82 and have been following it since then.
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Fish on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Tough choice man, I went with Bride, those first three albums are great. I almost went for Saint for a minute though.
Machine Fish
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.redbubble.com/people/machinefish

Back to top Go down

Post by ludey7 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:54 pm

This was easy for me - there is Bride and then there is everyone else on this list.

ludey7
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:12 pm

I'd rank em as such:

1. Stryken (wish they had more than the one album, but it is what it is!)

2. Bride (great band!!!)

3. Saint

4. Bloodgood

5. Barren Cross

6. Rez

7. Messiah Prophet

8. Leviticus

9. Daniel Band

10. Barnabas

Love all of these bands though!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by strype53 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm

I went with Bloodgood, but I could have chosen Bride just as easy!
strype53
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:21 pm

If I had To rank the bands on the poll, I would do like this:

1 - Bloodgood - Amazing Lyrics, amazing voice, unique style.

2 - Saint - 10 original albums, 9 of them are top notch! One of the longest discography in christian metal.

3 - Rez Band - Lyrics are awesome and go far beyond the"JPM's". Love their entire career and the balance between the singers and guitarrists. Not to mention that Glen Kaiser is one of the most talented musician/writer I have ever known.

4 - Daniel Band - 5 Solid albums of pure Rock and Roll. No relevant style change among them.

5 - Bride - Due to their long career and their amazing three first albums. After that, just a couple of relevant albums.

6 - Leviticus - Due to Setting Fire to the Earth (what a great album!) and to Knights of heaven what is really good.

7 - Barren Cross - Great band, with many cool songs, even though the writing is a letdown sometimes.

8 - Barnabas - The raw production of their albums is a letdown, and that's why they are not better ranked. Their albums desperately need a good remaster treatment.

9 - Messiah Prophet - The only album I know from them is Master of the Metal, and I don't think it is so amazing as people say.

10 - Stryken - We never know how would they sound if more albums were released. Maybe better, but maybe not. One single album cannot tell much about a band. That is why I tend to rank better bands with a long career.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 am

1. Bloodgood
2. Barren Cross
3. Bride
4. Rez
5. Messiah Prophet
6. Saint
7. Leviticus
8. Stryken
9. Daniel Band or Barnabas havent heard much of them Surprised
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:13 pm

I was one of the first ones who voted Bride... glad to see they have climbed the ranks.
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:25 pm

Deepfriar wrote:I was one of the first ones who voted Bride... glad to see they have climbed the ranks.
But I was the first one, you won't take that from me  Evil or Very Mad

I am glad they climbed the ranks too

Deadpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Wow! Bride is winning! I'm not surprised though. Very good band.

If you had asked me anytime before this past year, I would have said Bride.

For some reason I have seen something new in Stryken this year. And I'm going on a rampage about it! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 pm

I went with Resurrection Band.  While not the most consistent musically, I love Glenn Kaisers soulful, bluesy singing.  I also love the way they could weave songs that were definitely about Jesus with tales of real people and situations that Christians needed to know about socially.  For example, how could we help the homeless if we didn't know they were there?  Their albums were a great mix of social commentary, storying, and praise of the Lord.  I would love to be that type of lyricist.
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 am

Can I vote for all of them. I am old school Laughing. I like them all for different reasons.
oldschooldoom
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaceOfASkull on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:50 pm

1. Saint
2. Sacred Warrior should be on the list.
3. Bride

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:If I had To rank the bands on the poll, I would do like this:

2 - Saint - 10 original albums, 9 of them are top notch! One of the longest discography in christian metal.

Man, I had no idea they had so many albums!  I thought they had like 2 in the 80s and then a couple recently.  I guess I need to re-visit them and catch up.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:47 am

PlaceOfASkull wrote:1. Saint
2. Sacred Warrior should be on the list.
3. Bride

Well, there's only 10 slots ... so I only included the early bands. Sacred Warrior came out later. They were with the 'second wave' of Christian Metal. Along with Whitecross, Zion, Holy Soldier, Deliverance, Vengeance Rising and a plethora of others.

This thread is called "Old School" meaning the first wave of Christian Hard Rock and Metal.

Feel free to start a second poll with the second wave bands if you want. My vote would probably go to Deliverance on that one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:55 pm

strangerhoncho wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:If I had To rank the bands on the poll, I would do like this:

Man, I had no idea they had so many albums!  I thought they had like 2 in the 80s and then a couple recently.  I guess I need to re-visit them and catch up.
You can't go wrong with them. go ahead.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiago-Brazil on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Tough competition among Bride, Bloodgood and Saint.
Thiago-Brazil
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mudpuppy on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Bride...the first Christian band that I thought rocked as hard or harder than any of the secular bands.  Dale Thompson of Bride has a new band called "The World Will Burn".  CD coming out soon.  The songs they preview on their website rock.  Same killer voice!

mudpuppy
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum